Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

fyodor posted:

Base package + machined aluminum wheels in oxford white
Cheap thrills best thrills. Enjoy that toy all day every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

fyodor posted:

Thanks! Having never owned anything with more than 115hp im sure i'll be in a ditch in no time!

Enjoy your torque steer and speeding tickets!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Defghanistan posted:

Some part of me wants to sell my 2015 red golf R and buy a 2016 white GTI SE with sport pack in manual instead of DSG.

That's a bad idea right?

Yes, because it gives me justification to trade in my 2010 GTI in for a 2016 R.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bob A Feet posted:

Enjoy your torque steer and speeding tickets!

yes that too :vince:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Residency Evil posted:

Yes, because it gives me justification to trade in my 2010 GTI in for a 2016 R.

DO EEET. I love my car. I need to figure out how to price the stock wheels though. Replacement value is like 600 bucks a wheel, but asking that kind of money would be stupid.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
So last night I made a wonderful discovery I should've made months ago, about my R.
If you just pull back on the DSG stick when you're in drive mode, it switches it to sport mode.

!!!

Before I'd been doing it by pressing the button by the start/stop button and cycling through the GUI! This is far better.
Also, fast is good. I think I'll keep the R. I do wish I had a sunroof though.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

How dumb is it to buy a MK V or MK VI GTI right now? I need a "new" car and they're the ones that best fit what I'm looking for in my price range, but are they better than the III's and IV's which I've only heard and experienced bad things as far as reliability?

I know these are a bit out of the provenance of the thread, but would I really be better ff paying a hit more for a Civic Si isntead?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 10, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I let a co-worker who is not really a car guy drive my FiST at lunch time. I just walked past his desk and he's on the Ford website optioning one out for himself.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Defghanistan posted:

So last night I made a wonderful discovery I should've made months ago, about my R.
If you just pull back on the DSG stick when you're in drive mode, it switches it to sport mode.

!!!

Before I'd been doing it by pressing the button by the start/stop button and cycling through the GUI! This is far better.
Also, fast is good. I think I'll keep the R. I do wish I had a sunroof though.

You really should look into using Individual mode. I've gone from driving in comfort mode to using individual so that I can keep the steering light and the suspension soft, but still have the exhaust flaps open and better throttle response of sport mode.

As far as buying an older VW, even the newist mk4 is going to be over 10 years old and had plenty of problems new. I never cared for the styling of the MK5, but I don't believe there were any major issues with the mk5 and mk6. The mk7 is just superior in every way though due to the new MQB platform.

How much do you think I can sell my stock wheels for that came off of my R? I already had 19s that I like better and my snows will be 17s. I can't seem to find anyone selling any to compare.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Test drove a Golf R for the hell of it today, and not gonna lie, it wasn't bad. If I hadn't driven a 911 Turbo and a C6 Z06 within the past couple of days I would have been pretty impressed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GutBomb posted:

I let a co-worker who is not really a car guy drive my FiST at lunch time. I just walked past his desk and he's on the Ford website optioning one out for himself.

These cars really do sell themselves, don't they? A friend of mine rode with me to the bar one night a few weeks ago, then a day or two later he calls and had apparently bought the one I test drove before buying mine (it has the sunroof and nav, neither of which I wanted).

He's a photographer and one of my housemates is detailing his car this weekend, so we'll probably head up to the lake shore afterward and get some photos of our near twin cars.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

Test drove a Golf R for the hell of it today, and not gonna lie, it wasn't bad. If I hadn't driven a 911 Turbo and a C6 Z06 within the past couple of days I would have been pretty impressed.

Looking at the same cars too, depending on if we end up moving to the south (911) or staying in the north (Golf R).

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Maybe I've just gotten lucky but I have had very few problems with my 10 year old Mk4, and nothing expensive yet.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Finally got my new FoST home. The stock seats are way more comfortable to me than the recaros. And holy poo poo is it fun.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Tyro posted:

Maybe I've just gotten lucky but I have had very few problems with my 10 year old Mk4, and nothing expensive yet.

My MK4 didn't have any issues other than being a magnet for idiots to run into and killing a water pump. But it was a 04.5 where they had fixed most of the issues already.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Tyro posted:

They're fine if you maintain them and can manage to properly diagnose and fix the common issues that affect them. I've worked on a handful of them and, while they were shitboxes, it was entirely because the owners were lazy as gently caress.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Click here to build your RS!

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

As someone desperately trying to save up money for a hot hatch, this is a very painful tease. $38k is gonna be out of my league for so long...

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Finally hit 5000 miles in my WRX purchased in June of 2013.

Why did I buy a car.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

gvibes posted:

Why did I buy a car.

How do you get away with not driving that much? I got my ST in 2013 and its about to hit 36k. Only 400 more miles to go and then I can start slapping on parts without worry of a warranty.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Ringo Star Get posted:

How do you get away with not driving that much? I got my ST in 2013 and its about to hit 36k. Only 400 more miles to go and then I can start slapping on parts without worry of a warranty.
I drive like 2 miles to the train station and then two miles home each day for work, and apparently I am mega-lame and rarely drive to anything else.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How many oil changes have you done on it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gvibes posted:

Why did I buy a car.

I've only put 27K on my MS6 in the 4 years I've owned it.

I mean, I've owned like 9 other cars in that time so it makes sense but yeah, why do I own it?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My 7 year old MS3 has done a total of 37,000 miles and in the year I've had it I've only contributed 3,500

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

gvibes posted:

I drive like 2 miles to the train station and then two miles home each day for work, and apparently I am mega-lame and rarely drive to anything else.

:stonk: that's absolute murder on the motor, gotta let it warm up and boil off the condensation in the oil. With such short trips that motor probably has never reached full operating temp.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Bajaha posted:

:stonk: that's absolute murder on the motor, gotta let it warm up and boil off the condensation in the oil. With such short trips that motor probably has never reached full operating temp.

Moment of silence for all of the bearings.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

My MK4 didn't have any issues other than being a magnet for idiots to run into and killing a water pump. But it was a 04.5 where they had fixed most of the issues already.

Yeah mine is an '05. The only VW specific issues have been the temp sensor going (easy and cheap fix with the updated part) and a coil pack dying. I do need to do the timing belt relatively soon though.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

How many oil changes have you done on it?

Third coming up soon.

iwentdoodie posted:

Moment of silence for all of the bearings.
as if millions of bearings suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

gvibes fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 18, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bajaha posted:

I'm amazed at how fast my new R warms up. Coolant is at full temp before I leave my neighborhood.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
How insane would it be to sell my mk4 2.0L Golf w/125k miles (and an oil consumption problem)to buy this 1992 MK2 GTI? It was on CL a few months ago with 190k but it's in much better shape now if the pictures are to be believed. It's been my A-#1 dream car for years now, but I would hate to drive it in our winters :ohdear:

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

scuz posted:

How insane would it be to sell my mk4 2.0L Golf w/125k miles (and an oil consumption problem)to buy this 1992 MK2 GTI? It was on CL a few months ago with 190k but it's in much better shape now if the pictures are to be believed. It's been my A-#1 dream car for years now, but I would hate to drive it in our winters :ohdear:

You should absolutely do this, that GTI is amazing and you should buy it. The MK2s are one of the "good GTIs", which the MK4....isn't.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The interior looks really nice. Just check underneath for rust. You guys get road salt over there, right?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

scuz posted:

Do it.

Then bin it and sell me the seats.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Mk2 GTIs are cool as gently caress.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

veedubfreak posted:

I'm amazed at how fast my new R warms up. Coolant is at full temp before I leave my neighborhood.

Coolant can be quick, but owning a proper oil temp gauge really opens your eyes as to how drat long it actually takes to get up to full operating temp. With low temp oil it'll be definitely putting more wear and tear on the bearings, and with turbo motors it's even worst. Especially bad if you immediately start pushing the car full throttle after the coolant gauge jumps up before the oil really gets a chance to warm up.

It's all moot if you're leasing or trading in in a couple years. But it's got to be a pretty big impact for long term ownership.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Mk2 GTIs are cool as gently caress.

Could emptyquote a hundred times.

They are wonderful and mechanical feeling, if you're not familiar with them. Definitely one of the "good GTIs" and some people prefer them to the originals. They're one of the cars that achieved German Car Superiority and live up to their billing, imo. If memory serves, this version has zany short gearing (3500rpm@70mph in fifth). They also feel like actual reasonably modern cars, which Mk1s don't (albeit in a good way).

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bajaha posted:

Coolant can be quick, but owning a proper oil temp gauge really opens your eyes as to how drat long it actually takes to get up to full operating temp. With low temp oil it'll be definitely putting more wear and tear on the bearings, and with turbo motors it's even worst. Especially bad if you immediately start pushing the car full throttle after the coolant gauge jumps up before the oil really gets a chance to warm up.

It's all moot if you're leasing or trading in in a couple years. But it's got to be a pretty big impact for long term ownership.

Yyyyyuuuuup. Oil takes 2-3 times as long as coolant to get fully up to temperature. Main reason I got an oil temperature gauge.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm sure I'll be shocked at how long it takes for engine oil to come up to temp,

but,

how long does it take to come up to temp?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

I'm sure I'll be shocked at how long it takes for engine oil to come up to temp,

but,

how long does it take to come up to temp?

My car, when its 60+ out, maybe 10-15 minutes. In the winter, at least 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

opengl128 posted:

My car, when its 60+ out, maybe 10-15 minutes. In the winter, at least 20 minutes.

That's...much longer than I expected.

My usual rule has been to drive like a total granny until the coolant temp is reading something, then just drive like a normal person until the coolant is at normal temp, then wait another 2-3 minutes before doing anything exciting. With the FiST in warm weather that's been 5-6 minutes at most.

I guess I need to get an oil temp gauge.