Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

The flip side is that it comes with Remote Desktop Client 3.8.5 which seems much faster than 3.8.4 was.
Is that what the screen sharing app uses or is it something specific to ARD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Binary Badger posted:

You know what's annoying about El Capitan GM? If you try to use the createinstallmedia script, it produces a nice bootable USB key, but if you boot from that key and try to install El Capitan it tells you that it can't verify the image and it won't install. So you have to install Mavericks/Yosemite first. :sigh:

The flip side is that it comes with Remote Desktop Client 3.8.5 which seems much faster than 3.8.4 was.
Did you get the GM from the developer program or the public beta? I'm asking because when they first made the version available to developers it was called 'GM Candidate' but actually downloaded a file called developer beta. They yanked it off and reissued it with an updated build number and different installer name and I was able to make a working USB stick from the second release but I didn't try from the first so if you made it from that maybe there's the problem.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mercurius posted:

Did you get the GM from the developer program or the public beta? I'm asking because when they first made the version available to developers it was called 'GM Candidate' but actually downloaded a file called developer beta. They yanked it off and reissued it with an updated build number and different installer name and I was able to make a working USB stick from the second release but I didn't try from the first so if you made it from that maybe there's the problem.

HAH! I knew that getting the beta instead of the GM wasn't my fault.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mercurius posted:

Public beta. As usual, the devil is in the details.. I bet the updated build didn't make it to PB.. I'll post the build number when I get to the machine, think it was 15282a or something.

But yeah, I tried it again last night and the installer would pretend to work right up until it finished verifying the image.

Edit: 15A282a

Edit 2: Dammit, developers got 15A282b.

tl;dr: Downloaded public beta GM again, made new key, poo poo installs

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 16, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

japtor posted:

Is that what the screen sharing app uses or is it something specific to ARD?

Don't quite know if they're the same or different, but all I know now is that I'm using a Mavericks Mac to access two old Mac Pros, under the Mac Pros running Yosemite I had to wait several seconds for the screen to refresh before blotchy text would go away, now that the MPs are running the PB GM when I remote them I never see blotchy text, everything is razor sharp.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Binary Badger posted:

Public beta. As usual, the devil is in the details.. I bet the updated build didn't make it to PB.. I'll post the build number when I get to the machine, think it was 15282a or something.

But yeah, I tried it again last night and the installer would pretend to work right up until it finished verifying the image.

Edit: 15A282a

Edit 2: Dammit, developers got 15A282b.

tl;dr: Downloaded public beta GM again, made new key, poo poo installs
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they messed up both initial installer seeds.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Does anyone here have any experience with a external GPU with any flavor of a MacBook? I just started reading about this today and seems like a interesting project to fool around with. I would just like to have some non-enthusiast opinions about it; i.e. how well does it work, any pitfalls, etc.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Djarum posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with a external GPU with any flavor of a MacBook? I just started reading about this today and seems like a interesting project to fool around with. I would just like to have some non-enthusiast opinions about it; i.e. how well does it work, any pitfalls, etc.

It think it may have been here or (more likely) in the Mac Hardware thread, but I think the consensus was super expensive and probably not worth the effort right now. An inexpensive (relatively) Thunderbolt PCIe enclosure will end up like a Frankenstein project with having to use the external 450W PS to power both the card and PCIe bus (which requires an additional adapter), and one that was made for the task costs about $800-$900. Plus with both solutions things like CUDA will not work.

Supposedly, external GPUs are officially supported on Thunderbolt 3, so I imagine(hope) we may see some more inexpensive solutions shortly after that hits the market.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah it was in the hardware thread, starts here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426201&pagenumber=655&perpage=40#post449900001

And yeah I mentioned it there too, might as well wait for TB3 solutions at this point and see how pricing and adapters work out.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

japtor posted:

Yeah it was in the hardware thread, starts here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426201&pagenumber=655&perpage=40#post449900001

And yeah I mentioned it there too, might as well wait for TB3 solutions at this point and see how pricing and adapters work out.

Thanks for the info everyone. That is kinda what I thought but it is nice to have it validated. I too hope that the TB3 stuff is backwards compatible since it would be really nice to be able to plug in a decent video card into my MBA for the times I need it, especially when traveling.

From what I was reading today a company had a good, cheap TB2 to PCIE adaptor solution out there but Intel strongarmed them into pulling it. Looking at the DIY stuff it didn't look too awful putting something moderately affordable but my main concern was compatibility. Oh well hopefully we will see something in a few months.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What do you recommend for finding out what’s hogging your storage on OS X? I use Xinorbis on Windows, but dunno what’s good on OS X.

And my MBA’s 250 GB are almost full. :ohdear:

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

ufarn posted:

What do you recommend for finding out what’s hogging your storage on OS X? I use Xinorbis on Windows, but dunno what’s good on OS X.

And my MBA’s 250 GB are almost full. :ohdear:

DaisyDisk, if you're OK with paying money:
http://www.daisydiskapp.com

Disk Inventory X, if you're not:
http://www.derlien.com

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

chimz posted:

DaisyDisk, if you're OK with paying money:
http://www.daisydiskapp.com

Disk Inventory X, if you're not:
http://www.derlien.com

Inventory X hasn't been updated in a decade, Grand Perspective though was updated 3 years ago: http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/

They both work, but Grand Perspective works pretty well for me. The UI is quite easy to work with. I'm not sure why anyone would pay for DaisyDisk, to be honest!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Inventory X hasn't been updated in a decade, Grand Perspective though was updated 3 years ago: http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/

They both work, but Grand Perspective works pretty well for me. The UI is quite easy to work with. I'm not sure why anyone would pay for DaisyDisk, to be honest!

Because it's cheap and actively maintained. After this last update, it's way faster doing the scan.

Also, something that hasn't been updated in three years is pretty much abandonware to me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Since are on the topic of ad blocking in the iOS world, what is the preferred ad block for safari on mac? Just ad block?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I haven't tried Daisy Disk, but if it can process ~40GB of data on this fast as gently caress SSD in quicker than a full minute, I'd probably pay for it over Disk Inventory X. Otherwise, if you don't mind waiting an eternity every time you want to analyze your drive, Disk Inventory X works.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

flosofl posted:

Also, something that hasn't been updated in three years is pretty much abandonware to me.

Meh it's basically just a visualization into find. Doesn't need much updating.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 17, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

enojy posted:

I haven't tried Daisy Disk, but if it can process ~40GB of data on this fast as gently caress SSD in quicker than a full minute, I'd probably pay for it over Disk Inventory X. Otherwise, if you don't mind waiting an eternity every time you want to analyze your drive, Disk Inventory X works.

I don't know about the initial scan when the program first builds it's index, but I just told Daisy Disk to scan the drive (190GB used on 500GB SSD). It took less than 20 seconds for to present the results screen for me to navigate. That's a whole lot faster than before this update.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Duckman2008 posted:

Since are on the topic of ad blocking in the iOS world, what is the preferred ad block for safari on mac? Just ad block?

Crystal is free for a limited time at the moment and 1Blocker has a free version. Which is better? Too soon to say, tried both and they do noticeably improve the speed of loading pages as well as making them easier to read.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Crystal's no longer free. It was free for like 6 hours or something crazy. Maybe the dev looked at the adoption and panicked.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xilni posted:

Crystal is free for a limited time at the moment and 1Blocker has a free version. Which is better? Too soon to say, tried both and they do noticeably improve the speed of loading pages as well as making them easier to read.

That's iOS. Duckman is asking about Safari in OS X.

Duckman2008 posted:

uBlock.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Duckman2008 posted:

I've had the most success with them. ABP misses/excludes a lot of stuff.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

uBlock has one of the more obtuse and opaque UIs I've come across, but it does the job well enough.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tippis posted:

uBlock has one of the more obtuse and opaque UIs I've come across, but it does the job well enough.

I use it because it has a much lighter footprint and appears to be more effective than AdBlock. But yeah, the UI is kind of "just click around and you'll figure it out. Good luck!"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

uBlock 0.9.5.2 is compatible OOTB with Safari in El Capitan, so that's a plus right there.

Also don't forget to get DirectLinks to keep Google from tracking you from their search page links.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
Are the iOS content blocker extensions cross platform, usable on both mobile and desktop Safari?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Triglav posted:

Are the iOS content blocker extensions cross platform, usable on both mobile and desktop Safari?
no

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Also don't forget to get DirectLinks to keep Google from tracking you from their search page links.
Alternatively, give DuckDuckGo a spin. When I did my iOS 9 and El Capitan GM installations last week I set the search provider to DuckDuckGo on both platforms and can't complain so far. We'll see if I eventually find it frustrating but I can't say that DuckDuckGo has let me down yet.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
Google's data mining made me lazy with my search terms or something because I'd find myself searching, getting spotty DDG results, redirecting my browser to google.com and searching again and getting more relevant results. It sucks :(

I switched back to Google when setting iOS 9 up today, but I'm keeping DDG on my desktop for now. Google's definitely more convenient for me when it comes to quick mobile searches, especially since half the time I'm looking for addresses and closing times and stuff, which Google scrapes and puts at the top of results. On desktop I'm at a physical keyboard and can just quickly add another search term.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
The most useful part of ddg is the ! searches anyway, so if ddg isn't giving you what you want, sticking !g in front of your search'll take you to google anyway.

I feel like safari's searchbar is meant to do something similar, where if you type "wiki something" it should give you a way to search wikipedia, but ddg's implementation is quicker than arrowing down from the searchbar results. Plus I think that was customizable, so you could have it search whatever, rather than what safari supports (for example, !gi for google images, rather than searching and then clicking images).

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
How do I downgrade from the El Capitan GM to Yosemite?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dubstep Jesus posted:

How do I downgrade from the El Capitan GM to Yosemite?
Download the Yosemite installer from the App Store and make a USB installer, is my guess.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Download the Yosemite installer from the App Store and make a USB installer, is my guess.

That is the only way. You have to use the installer and wipe the drive.

Hopefully, Dubstep Jesus did a time machine or other backup right before installing the beta and still has it available. I think if you kept using the same time machine data, El Capitan probably made it unusable for a Yosemite restore.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2947679/os-x/done-with-the-el-capitan-public-beta-heres-how-to-revert-your-mac-back-to-yosemite.html

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Is there any option or command line wizardry to absolutely force my iTunes library to stay fixed at a particular directory, even when that directory is an unmounted drive? I've migrated my library to an external drive, which works fine, but if I make the grave mistake of launching iTunes while that drive isn't mounted, it reverts to to default (internal storage) directory. I want to use 0% of my internal storage on my library (which raises another question -- possible to store album artwork, caches, etc. externally?) and don't want it to bite me in the rear end again, when I launch iTunes, add a bunch of new stuff to my library, get album artwork, rearrange tracks, etc. and whoops! It's adding it to the default directory because I forgot to mount the external drive.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Purify dev has said that an OS X version is coming and is likely to be free for iOS buyers

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Neurophonic posted:

Purify dev has said that an OS X version is coming and is likely to be free for iOS buyers
So he's abandoning the uBlock name? I mean it's probably for the best what with all the Origin confusion, but I'm still surprised.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

So he's abandoning the uBlock name? I mean it's probably for the best what with all the Origin confusion, but I'm still surprised.

I think Purify is going to be a system wide thing rather than extension? Pretty sure El Cap supports content blockers in a deeper way so should have even less overhead and work before the content is downloaded.

He's also been posting this a lot:
http://twitter.com/purify_app/status/644640197146054657/photo/1

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Neurophonic posted:

I think Purify is going to be a system wide thing rather than extension? Pretty sure El Cap supports content blockers in a deeper way so should have even less overhead and work before the content is downloaded.

He's also been posting this a lot:
http://twitter.com/purify_app/status/644640197146054657/photo/1

Even with content blockers The Verge still makes a valiant effort on your battery life by simply making the blockers work hard as gently caress to block all their bullshit.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I found that Purify blocked a lot of stuff it wasn’t supposed to like article thumbs, especially on Verge. That helps with loading too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I use my iPhone 6's Personal Hotspot via USB to get online with my 2015 MacBook Pro 13". Yesterday after a restart, the USB Interface option randomly and literally disappeared from the Network preference pane.

I can still get online with a Personal Hotspot via Bluetooth, and tried a different cable to eliminate a faulty USB cable. Any suggestions on how I can get my precious wired connection back?