Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Put booze in the hole then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Watermelong is kinda nice blended by itself as a smoothie-ish drink, maybe add some mint and a pinch of salt

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Compress it with lime and tequila.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Make two hats.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
put it on ur head and scare the cattes

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Cube the meat and freeze for granitas, peel the pith and make candied melon.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Compress it, freeze it, use as ice cubes in lime and tequila. Or Pimms. Or a G&T. Whatever. I.m not going to tell you what to drink.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Cry avoc', and let slip the dogs of war.

:golfclap:

Eat watermelon with feta, mint and finely chopped chili.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Drink and Fight posted:

I don't have a dick.

Look, you don't go to war with the genitals you want, you go to war with the genitals you have, now stop making excuses and gently caress that melon.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

bunnielab posted:

Look, you don't go to war with the genitals you want, you go to war with the genitals you have, now stop making excuses and gently caress that melon.

Done.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Drink and Fight posted:

I have a whole watermelon leftover from FoodChatCon and an hour to kill. What should I do?

Make another one for yourself, too.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Our little DnF is growing up so fast.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

God drat it how did we not eat the whole watermelon immediately after watching the watermelon man show us how to eat the watermelon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gUKZpgVfMo

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-eitsutpOc

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
have u ever had ur pussy eaten by a man who eats watermelon for a living

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mindphlux posted:

have u ever had ur pussy eaten by a man who eats watermelon for a living

I guess this is :nws: if you're not allowed to watch videos of a lady giving blowjobs to dildos with the use of a grapefruit at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD7PKKstAcg

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I was being actually for real serious about the "best bbq" thing. There is none better.

Booooo.
Wesley's Bean Pot was my favorite.
(I haven't been to Amarillo in 3 years)

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Happy Hat posted:

When you (pr0k) choose to cook steak, how many times out of a hundred do you break out the stones?

Only when entertaining really. Maybe 1/100?

Yeah, it's a gimmick that's no better (probably worse) than a hot pan. But it serves a purpose, that's all I'm sayin'. I don't think we're even arguing. :)

Cry avoc', and let slip the dogs of war.

:golfclap:

KWC posted:

Booooo.
Wesley's Bean Pot was my favorite.
(I haven't been to Amarillo in 3 years)

I haven't been to Amarillo since the '96 debacle.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 17, 2015

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Reckon they'll have forgotten by now. Besides, she was technically not underage, and neither was the baboon, not that the senator would listen to reason anyways.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I know I'm late to tbsp chat but the imperial system makes fine sense in the era of global trade before standards were introduced: everything is divisible by 4, so dividing a barrel (~32 gal depending on headspace) into half was the same as dividing a gallon into quarts and then pints. Easy way to break down bulk goods whether they were fresh water, beer, pickles, or herring. Have a scale? "A pint a pound, the world around".

...I've worked in beverage alcohol long enough that I have to justify this archaic nonsense.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Which gallon, imp. or US? From memory an imperial gallon is ~4.4L, a US gallon is around ~3.8 L
Most pints in pubs are imperial pints, but no one uses imperial gallons in the US do they?

Also, any budding aussie cook is going to be confused when they learn the Tbsp* here is 20ml, not 15ml like the US.
The teaspoon is still 5ml though, so the aussie tablespoon has 4 teaspoons for some unknown reason.
While you are mentioning divisible by '4s' making sense, why is the US Tbsp shunning that convention and switching to 3 tsp to a Tbsp?

Anyway, that's the whole problem with imperial measurements, there is no standard. Imperial and US measurements are both used randomly, and then some other colony makes up their own standard too.

*I always liked the convention of tablespoon with a capital T and teaspoon with a lower case t, ie tsp.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 18, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fo3 posted:

Which gallon, imp. or US? From memory an imperial gallon is ~4.4L, a US gallon is around ~3.8 L
Most pints in pubs are imperial pints, but no one uses imperial gallons in the US do they?

Also, any budding aussie cook is going to be confused when they learn the Tbsp* here is 20ml, not 15ml like the US.
The teaspoon is still 5ml though, so the aussie tablespoon has 4 teaspoons for some unknown reason.
While you are mentioning divisible by '4s' making sense, why is the US Tbsp shunning that convention and switching to 3 tsp to a Tbsp?

Anyway, that's the whole problem with imperial measurements, there is no standard. Imperial and US measurements are both used randomly, and then some other colony makes up their own standard too.

*I always liked the convention of tablespoon with a capital T and teaspoon with a lower case t, ie tsp.

In the UK and South Africa a Tbsp is also 15ml. It's just the Aussies who are deviant - as usual. Probably the Kiwis too.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Scientastic posted:

When I Ducasse my steaks to a rich well-done greyness, I measure out the tablespoons of butter by squeezing them out of my foreskin onto a screaming hot non-stick pan. Then I serve the steak with mashed, unpeeled sweet potatoes. As I eat it, I think, "that's one hell of a sandwich"

Thank you for getting me through my double because I kept giggling about this.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
The dress has got nothing on tablspoons!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fo3 posted:

That is odd but you wouldn't want to change the size of the tablespoon for that since two tablespoons are an ounce. You'd have to make a teaspoon 7.5 mls or 3.25 mls for it to make sense.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

That is odd but you wouldn't want to change the size of the tablespoon for that since two tablespoons are an ounce. You'd have to make a teaspoon 7.5 mls or 3.25 mls for it to make sense.

I think that american measures are interesting and fun. They are so cutesy and it is nice to know a persons length compared to the size of their feet and their twelvths, or the amount of troy pounds (480 grains - which is based on the mass of a single cereal) that goes into a cake which you then measure the diameter of in feet... because feet and grain and cakes are something that is logically connected.

Wait.. the pound is based on the troy pound, but now you changed it to something else - which we don't know what is, but you changed it because it felt better or something.

So when I measure in american terms I am amused.

And let's not get started on the entire "Let's measure temperature on the scale of how hot it is inside of an average mans rear end", where you would think that 200*F would equal two mans asses, because when 100*F is one man rear end, then twice that should be twice as much... oh no.. Let's not make it so.. We need to confuse the french..

So you have us confounded and amused, and I would like to thank you for it...

In my mind a tablespoon measure is about two ejaculates (one after the other - expect diminishing returns to scale).

Luckily now I know that to figure out what a pint is, all I need is a barrel, and start subdividing by four (because americans have 4 fingers on each hand, not five, which would have given a decimal system).

I need to buy a barrel...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

I think that american measures are interesting and fun. They are so cutesy and it is nice to know a persons length compared to the size of their feet and their twelvths, or the amount of troy pounds (480 grains - which is based on the mass of a single cereal) that goes into a cake which you then measure the diameter of in feet... because feet and grain and cakes are something that is logically connected.

Wait.. the pound is based on the troy pound, but now you changed it to something else - which we don't know what is, but you changed it because it felt better or something.

So when I measure in american terms I am amused.

And let's not get started on the entire "Let's measure temperature on the scale of how hot it is inside of an average mans rear end", where you would think that 200*F would equal two mans asses, because when 100*F is one man rear end, then twice that should be twice as much... oh no.. Let's not make it so.. We need to confuse the french..

So you have us confounded and amused, and I would like to thank you for it...

In my mind a tablespoon measure is about two ejaculates (one after the other - expect diminishing returns to scale).

Luckily now I know that to figure out what a pint is, all I need is a barrel, and start subdividing by four (because americans have 4 fingers on each hand, not five, which would have given a decimal system).

I need to buy a barrel...

I also need to buy a barrel.

For my ejaculate.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

I also need to buy a barrel.

For my ejaculate.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Come on - that was a good picture response!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I have no idea what just happened but if your rear end hits an internal temp of 100f with any regularity you either need a doctor or more lube

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hey! Did you hack my photos?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Meh, I grew up cooking and baking with cups and spoons, so they make sense to me.

But when I got my engineering degree, we had to learn to do all the calculations in both English and Metric, which was a huge pain in the rear end. Thermodynamics in particular is much easier in Metric. Also, Metric fastener sizes and thread-pitches make a hell of a lot more sense then the conventional sizes in Old English.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

pile of brown posted:

I have no idea what just happened but if your rear end hits an internal temp of 100f with any regularity you either need a doctor or more lube

Your temp scale has been calibrated with freezing point of brine as zero, 2 to the power of six as normal body temp, which then has been arbitrarily altered because it would be more 'logical' to have 100 as normal body temp, which then again was altered because the conversion to Celsius was too hard.

So basically yeah - your scale is from freezing point of brine to rear end temp of a grownup with a bit of flu. That is at least the story I was told.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Happy Hat posted:

Your temp scale has been calibrated with freezing point of brine as zero, 2 to the power of six as normal body temp, which then has been arbitrarily altered because it would be more 'logical' to have 100 as normal body temp, which then again was altered because the conversion to Celsius was too hard.

So basically yeah - your scale is from freezing point of brine to rear end temp of a grownup with a bit of flu. That is at least the story I was told.

I was told in school that it used to be illegal to do experiments involving humans, so 100F was set to the body temperature of a horse because it was thought to be a same temperature. 0F is when the coastline freezes, which agrees with the brine you mentioned.

I don't know of there is an actual, historical reason that isn't at least part legend at this point.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Hottest and coldest places on earth were set to 100 and 0 degree. They just had poor climate data.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The freezing point of brine was the lowest easily-obtainable temperature in a lab at the time it was established. Initially 100 degrees was human body temperature but it wasn't calibrated correctly initially so human body temperature got skewed down a bit. It's not total madness, but it's not amazing.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

The freezing point of natural salt water would be around 18*F - the way that it was done was:

Fahrenheit posted:

"the limit of the most intense cold obtained artificially in a mixture of water, of ice, and of sal-ammoniac or even of sea-salt"

This means that he put reproducibility of the calibration point first, and in accordance with the chemicals that were available to him at the time, but I guess the reproducibility of the calibration point was a good thing - later he though abandoned the calibration point, when it was shown that depending on the purity of the chemicals used in his ice/water/brine solution it would differ to greatly, and put a new calibration point in at 32 - which was the liquification point of ice, easily reproducible.

Then he went onwards and sat the 2 to the power of 6 (96 degrees F) calibration at 'blood temperature of a healthy man (or ejaculate, if you're afraid of needles)' - which is a bad calibration point, since it is not reproducible to precision - women who are ovulating experience an increase in morning temperature, morning temperature is generally lower than active temperature, average normal temperature will differ between people etc.

He realised this mistake, and sat a new calibration point at 212* F which is the boiling temperature of water at zero altitude. The rationale for using 212 as a calibration point may be in it being 180 away from 32, and 180 is the number of degrees there's between opposing poles (how geometry and temperature is becoming mixed together is beyond me).

Basically - He tried the same as Celcius, using the same calibration points (solidifying of water and vaporisation temp of water).

It is not a stupid scale or method as such, it was clearly a natural scientist trying out different calibration points, and putting good thought into his work, some of it is alchemical in nature (the opposing poles of water being 180* apart because... circles and nature and poo poo), some of it is trial and error. You could claim that due to the zero level atmospheric pressure not being constant around the globe, having a scale calibrated to something that changes transition points according to the pressure is stupid - which I guess is why Kelvin..

My conclusion is that:
The Fahrenheit scale is a perfect in accompany with the logic of the 'divide by two' scale of barrels in the US - they're quaint, amusing and perfect in a way that is entirely useless.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Happy Hat posted:

quaint, amusing and perfect in a way that is entirely useless.

Much like your posting, etc :effort:

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So I never post in GWS, and I didn't see a dedicated baking thread, so I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I'm having a hell of a time making sugar cookies how I'd like to.

Right now all the recipes I've tried for them make a fairly dry, puffy, semisweet cookie similar to those you'll see iced and in boxes by the dozen at chain grocery stores. Ideally I'd like to make them the way you find them in places like Subway and the place I used to always get them from as a kid: Perkins. These sugar cookies are much flatter, chewier, softer and generally much sweeter than the ones I've made myself. What should I be doing to make my sugar cookies like these?

RedneckwithGuns fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

As a middling baker, my instinct is less leavener (baking soda/powder) and more fat (butter or shortening).