Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Tetracell posted:

This would be the best thing in the world if anyone has a way to do it. I'm so goddamn sick of having the "Colonist left unburied" negative modifier. I can never find whatever corpse they're talking about, and if they weren't marked as no-use like 95% of the time it'd probably be no problem.

There used to be a mod (AlphaTweaks) that autounforbade everything in the home zone but I haven't played in a while and don't know if it is updated to recent versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

e2; Hahaha a Prison Block just crashed through the roof of my residence building, setting fire to everything because it's made out of wood, but a couple of the prisoners were spawned outside so they're okay. My last couple of people (I recruited someone new, sucks to be them) are now dying of extreme heatstroke because the temperature has shot up by a couple hundred thousand degrees. RIP this colony, this game is GOTY, Randy doesn't gently caress around.

Heatstroke is lethal, sometimes during a terrible desert summer heatwave I had to draft my colonists and make them stand in the freezer for a bit every day as nowhere else had temperature control. Unfortunately my prisoner had no such luck and perished due to heatstroke in his 50C room.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The newest redistheat version has some nice small coolers and duct-based coolers which will allow you to maintain a steady temperature more easily.

It also looks boss, things go on top of walls now.

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011
Is there a decent overview out there for how best to manage the animal taming/farming stuff, now? I started my first colony since 10 or something and immediately tried to breed rabbits, but the bastards eat too much hay for me to slaughter them with maximum efficiency.

I guess chickens are a better bet since they give food without being killed first, though?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

simonwolf posted:

Is there a decent overview out there for how best to manage the animal taming/farming stuff, now? I started my first colony since 10 or something and immediately tried to breed rabbits, but the bastards eat too much hay for me to slaughter them with maximum efficiency.

I guess chickens are a better bet since they give food without being killed first, though?

Just set a large animal area with grass in it, they'll eat that without any issues. Then when growing is over just extend their area to the hay storage freezer so they can go there to snack.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

OwlFancier posted:

The newest redistheat version has some nice small coolers and duct-based coolers which will allow you to maintain a steady temperature more easily.

It also looks boss, things go on top of walls now.

I've never played with redistheat before, and now I can never imagine playing without it again. Holy gently caress does it make temperature regulation so much easier. Just in time for my -34C average temperature colony

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Redistheat is definitely a must have. You can box in your geothermals and duct all that sweet 150-200 Fahrenheit heat to your rooms for big winter power savings.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I was never able to figure out how redistheat works. Only LP I've watched who used it was Midnight Snack Games, and he ended up with 200F bedrooms. Is there a tutorial somewhere? Do you need both cold and hot Networks to be able to both cool and heat?

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

Playing on randy random in the icy mountains has made my colonists into monsters. Not only are they using human meat in their meals but two packs of  Yorkshire terriers joined as tame...Pretty sure they are still picking the hair out of their teeth now!

Anyone know what is actually good tactics to use against the droids? (Unmodded)

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Going to try out the goon mod pack. Does mod order matter?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sub Rosa posted:

I was never able to figure out how redistheat works. Only LP I've watched who used it was Midnight Snack Games, and he ended up with 200F bedrooms. Is there a tutorial somewhere? Do you need both cold and hot Networks to be able to both cool and heat?

The old version was more complex, the new version, put intakes in a room with the temperature you want, they'll use that room to set the network temperature. Put outputs in the rooms you want to set to the temperature of the first room, they'll push heat out of the network to heat/cool the rooms. Doing so will also slightly change the network temperature to be closer to the room it's outputting into.

So if you have a room with heaters/coolers to set it to 18C, put some intakes in it, then pump it out into a room which is 30C, you'll end up with a slightly hotter network. This can be offset by putting more intakes in the first room to sort of weight the network towards that level. You can also use smart outlets and set the network temperature to say, 5C, but the outlets set to 18c, which means the network temperature will rise, but it will still be cool enough to lower the temperature to 18, and the outlets will turn off to stop it going lower than that.

Basically you can either have a network of room temperature air which is just pushed into your base, but that will vary a little because it feeds back into itself, or you can have a cold/hot network which is selectively pushed into your base to raise/lower it to the desired temperature, but cannot do both (because the network is hotter/colder than the desired temperature)

You can build both a hot and a cold network and selectively push both for maximum control but that costs more in ducting and power and metal.

Sub Rosa posted:

Going to try out the goon mod pack. Does mod order matter?

Yes, the base mods need to go before their addons, it's fairly easy to guess, but it also uses an outdated redistheat version which isn't very good, get the new one.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The only difference really is you need the Community Core Library for the new RedistHeat which isn't included in the Goon Modpack.

No clue why it's NOT in it.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

IceG posted:

Scythers are really susceptible to melee when ganged up on. They hit Colonists fairly hard but are also incredibly frail themselves. 3 sword using Colonists with decent melee scores will drop one real fast. Likely faster than they can retaliate with a melee attack. For the centipedes, it depends on what they're armed with. Those fuel cannons aren't too tough to deal with if you're fighting them on terrain that will prevent fire spread. If they have mini guns, it's honestly just best to melee the hell out of them while one or two guys throw emp grenades if you have any.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 19, 2015

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

IceG posted:

Sniper rifle from max range, slow but safe. This really only works when the mechanoids are sitting near their crash ship part.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Geokinesis posted:

Sniper rifle from max range, slow but safe. This really only works when the mechanoids are sitting near their crash ship part.

For downed ships I also enjoy kiting raiders over to them

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I gotta learn to trust my instincts. This colony was doomed from the start and I had constant bad luck but I pressed ahead anyway, figuring I can't just restart every time something doesn't go my way.

We've been beaten down into the dirt and all that's left is one guy, minus his left foot, hobbling around trying to clean up the huge messes that have resulted from raids/fires/infections/no cat food/a huge ship chunk crashing straight into the middle cell of my dining room/etc.

And in games like this I can never quit an ongoing thing, I have to watch it to the bitter end. :saddowns:

e; Alright so early game what's the best way to ensure a decent power supply?

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 19, 2015

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

I gotta learn to trust my instincts. This colony was doomed from the start and I had constant bad luck but I pressed ahead anyway, figuring I can't just restart every time something doesn't go my way.

We've been beaten down into the dirt and all that's left is one guy, minus his left foot, hobbling around trying to clean up the huge messes that have resulted from raids/fires/infections/no cat food/a huge ship chunk crashing straight into the middle cell of my dining room/etc.

And in games like this I can never quit an ongoing thing, I have to watch it to the bitter end. :saddowns:

e; Alright so early game what's the best way to ensure a decent power supply?

I tend to build a couple of solars and a turbine or 2 with maybe 4 batteries? Seems to work out ok to begin with.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I should probably try wind turbines more often, thinking about it.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Make sure to keep their area free from trees as otherwise their output will be poor.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I made the mistake of building all my power outside my atual base (as in i walled up in a mountain). Everything was going fine until 2 poison ships crashed. I had to keep my people inside, and the natives proceed to destroy all my power.

So long colony of 6, you tried.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Geokinesis posted:

Make sure to keep their area free from trees as otherwise their output will be poor.

Yeah one of the first things I learned with them was just to pave their whole active area over for just this reason.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I decided to try the ultimate mod pack after backing my mods and saves up (part of the install process is deleting all mods/planets/etc). It's certainly different, you can't just plant whatever you like off the bat (requires research to get all but a few basic plants) and you need seeds too. Research is something you need to set up pronto in order to get things like power and cooking facilities. There are lots more different animals too - mosquitos drat near killed one of my colonists when I wasn't paying attention.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Ratzap posted:

I decided to try the ultimate mod pack after backing my mods and saves up (part of the install process is deleting all mods/planets/etc). It's certainly different, you can't just plant whatever you like off the bat (requires research to get all but a few basic plants) and you need seeds too. Research is something you need to set up pronto in order to get things like power and cooking facilities. There are lots more different animals too - mosquitos drat near killed one of my colonists when I wasn't paying attention.

A tarantula completely destroyed my entire colony. Everybody was in bed wounded, and the raiders came.

Screw the raiders, that spider killed me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

IAmTheRad posted:

A tarantula completely destroyed my entire colony. Everybody was in bed wounded, and the raiders came.

Screw the raiders, that spider killed me.

I had someone downed by squirrels that had been driven berserk. He survived and we recovered him, but then he died of multiple infections.

Squirrels.

So more dangerous animals sounds like my kind of thing :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

The thing about wind, or rather, about solar power, is solar power never works at nght, so to run things through the night you actually need something like 3 times the power needed to run them during the day.

Because you need 1x power to run them, 1x power again to save for the night time, and 1x power AGAIN because batteries are only 50% efficient.

So, while a wind turbine might not generate a lot of power all the time, any power it does generate at night and which is used directly by the colony, is basically doubly efficient compared to solar power. This is also why geothermal is much better than it might appear, because if you use the power all the time it does not suffer efficiency issues due to batteries.

Solar is reliable, but wind is good for picking up the inefficiency of solar and batteries. It also generates a shitload of power in high winds.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

SirViver posted:

*accuracy stuff*

Yeah thanks for this. I'm not particularly literate in programming language which is why I didn't want to go rummaging around in the code myself, but I expected someone would at some point. I figured sight probably was some kind of multiplier at the end, but of course it's also baked into that byzantine pawn accuracy stat too.

I won't add any more data from the tests I did since I think it should be apparent enough now that sight is a big deal for ranged accuracy and improvements to it in the form of bionic eyes will have a significant impact. It's especially true for snipers and hunters. For snipers, they have such long warm-up times that it's important they land their shots, especially if they're careful shooters, and so improvements to their vision will help them enormously with that. Of course, careful shooters with bionic eyes, as I've demonstrated, can be become extremely deadly, almost guaranteeing shots at long range, but bionic eyes are still a big boon to non-careful shooters as well.

For hunters, because of the annoying way the hunter AI forces them to engage at max range, bionic eyes will let them hit more often at that range and get the job done faster, which has the knock-on benefit of saving time, reducing mood penalties and so on. It's also important when you consider the day/night cycle, and how a lot of hunters get hosed over because they travel all over the map after their quarry trying to plink away at max range in darkness with its associated penalties. Well, bionic eyes will both mitigate that by making it more likely that will take out their targets during daylight hours, or give them a much needed boost if they do find themselves hunting at night.

It's important to mention as well that it's sight, manipulation and consciousness that play a role in final accuracy, though it seems sight is the most important overall since it gets factored in twice (once in determining pawn accuracy, and then again as multiplier). This means that bionic arms will help too to some extent, and if you're playing with a mod such as Expanded Prosthetics, which lets you enhance the brain and therefore consciousness, that will boost accuracy as well, though you may face diminishing returns eventually.

The flip side to all this is that damage to sight, consciousness and manipulation will have a significant negative impact to accuracy. As I said before the reason I got into all this is because I couldn't understand why my normally accurate hunters suddenly couldn't hit for poo poo after getting some scars on their arms or whatever despite their accuracy stat still being fairly high. To give an idea of just how bad the problem can be: I was testing the accuracy of all shooters from 0-20 with the 45 tiles sniper scenario, and always using healthy pawns to do so. But I made a mistake with the level 20 guy and ended up getting one with a scarred arm that had about 4 hp knocked off it, which reduced their manipulation by 7%. Normally a level 20 shooter firing at 45 tiles with a normal quality sniper rifle will have a hit chance of 33%. Guy with the scarred arm? 15% hit chance. So that 7% loss of manipulation efficiency cut his long range hit chance by half.

It's for this reason that one big piece of advice I would give is that if you have hunters who suffer damage to their arms, eyes or brain, you should really consider taking them off hunting duty, and maybe hunting manually with them at short range (brain-damaged ones probably shouldn't be used period, for obvious reasons), because otherwise they'll just take forever to hit their targets, end up plinking away in the dark with likely 1% hit chances and waste a poo poo ton of time, which then fucks up their schedule and moods completely.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

The thing about wind, or rather, about solar power, is solar power never works at nght, so to run things through the night you actually need something like 3 times the power needed to run them during the day.

Because you need 1x power to run them, 1x power again to save for the night time, and 1x power AGAIN because batteries are only 50% efficient.

So, while a wind turbine might not generate a lot of power all the time, any power it does generate at night and which is used directly by the colony, is basically doubly efficient compared to solar power. This is also why geothermal is much better than it might appear, because if you use the power all the time it does not suffer efficiency issues due to batteries.

Solar is reliable, but wind is good for picking up the inefficiency of solar and batteries. It also generates a shitload of power in high winds.

This is very helpful, and adding to what was said before, I'm now pretty sure thinking about it that the games I've not had serious power troubles have been the ones where wind power has featured. I also didn't know that about batteries, but it sure as poo poo explains why my expansions so frequently seemed to run into trouble, I wasn't accounting for that 50% thing, drat.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah wind turbines are awesome at max, something like 3000w I think, which is not too far off a geothermal generator itself. They're also a good option on barren maps like deserts or tundras, because it's easier to get them up and running without having to floor the ground as well to prevent trees from blocking them.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Any base making tips for the ultimate overhaul mod? I am like one year in with a sweet base for 10 dudes in a hollowed out rock, but I wanna move into the giant mountain in the top part of my map. I'm finding that big 10x10 stock piles with a ton of stuff seem very inefficient.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I tend to build farms around my windmills.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

vandalism posted:

I'm finding that big 10x10 stock piles with a ton of stuff seem very inefficient.

See, this reminds of something Tynan changed for the worse: you used to be able to put down a large stockpile zone and then delete pathways through it, thus cutting it into segments, to allow your colonists easy access to items in the middle. But because it was still the same large stockpile, each segment retained the same settings you had chosen.

You can't do that anymore because if you try to delete a path through a stockpile, it actually cuts the stockpile down to where you're deleting squares from. In other words, individual stockpiles have to be contiguous now. I remember being really baffled by that change when I saw it in his work log.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk in Space posted:

See, this reminds of something Tynan changed for the worse: you used to be able to put down a large stockpile zone and then delete pathways through it, thus cutting it into segments, to allow your colonists easy access to items in the middle. But because it was still the same large stockpile, each segment retained the same settings you had chosen.

You can't do that anymore because if you try to delete a path through a stockpile, it actually cuts the stockpile down to where you're deleting squares from. In other words, individual stockpiles have to be contiguous now. I remember being really baffled by that change when I saw it in his work log.

It could be that the original way was a bug, and Tynan fixed the bug.

You can at least use any shape for your stockpiles instead of being all boxes/rectangles.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

vandalism posted:

Any base making tips for the ultimate overhaul mod? I am like one year in with a sweet base for 10 dudes in a hollowed out rock, but I wanna move into the giant mountain in the top part of my map. I'm finding that big 10x10 stock piles with a ton of stuff seem very inefficient.

If you're using the overhaul mod you should have wheelbarrows and carts right? Those should help shift your poo poo a bit more quickly if you added 'Tools for Haul Patch' at the end of the installation. Building sentry turrets but having no clue about wheels on a box to move things seems unintuitive somehow.

butt baby
Nov 4, 2009
How do you get bionic limbs for your colonists in vanilla?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Ratzap posted:

If you're using the overhaul mod you should have wheelbarrows and carts right? Those should help shift your poo poo a bit more quickly if you added 'Tools for Haul Patch' at the end of the installation. Building sentry turrets but having no clue about wheels on a box to move things seems unintuitive somehow.

Does the hauling mod actually work now? It was stupidly broken when it first came out. The author's appalling English didn't help much either.

butt baby posted:

How do you get bionic limbs for your colonists in vanilla?

Buy them from exotic goods traders.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Ratzap posted:

Building sentry turrets but having no clue about wheels on a box to move things seems unintuitive somehow.
Yeah, you shouldn't think too hard about this. The game has a lot of things that don't really make sense when taken at face value; I like to think that a lot of the oddities are just details that were abstracted away for the sake of gameplay and/or are the result of certain feature sets being more developed than others.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Drunk in Space posted:

Does the hauling mod actually work now? It was stupidly broken when it first came out. The author's appalling English didn't help much either.

I don't know yet, my colony is pretty fresh and still researching basics like power and agriculture 1. I'll let you know once I get that far.

xjohnson
Sep 7, 2006
Johnson?
Young Orc
Regarding Turbines:

Turbines don't get blocked by solar panels so I like to surround them w/ panels so trees won't grow and block them.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Why isn't my cooler heating my room here?

I've got two heaters set up in my main hall. They have enough power, the correct side is facing in, and they're set to 21C. But they aren't drawing power and the inside of the building is still freezing. The same thing is happening in my farm building over to the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
You have the hot side (the red side) facing into the room you want to cool.

EDIT: Oh, coolers don't work like that. You need a heater for that job and it doesn't require an exhaust.