Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Those knives look loving ugly af to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
thats because they are

something about two punch daggers is real ugly, and the design is kind of lame looking in the first place

they should do an LE knife next. except not two of them, and not ugly

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
You get two for the price of one!! Two of them! Even if you lose one you can still shank a fool!

They are a bit tiny but if you want comically large there's always the flip

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

J posted:

Double check your typically used smokes and flashes - rewatch the demos and check if they are actually effective. If they aren't, youtube some better ones. You should be able to slow down most full blown rushes with them. In general when defending a rush, your job is to stay alive as long as possible. Don't take any 1vX fights (unless they are all lined up, then gently caress it have fun.) Have a fall back plan. Kill one guy, fall back. Kill another guy, fall back. These should be quick bursts, if you whiff or don't do enough damage to kill, then fall back anyway. Don't sit there spraying your whole clip at the first T you see. The T team would love to trade you 1 for 1, so don't let them. Take thin angles such that you are exposed as little as possible, to make it as difficult as possible for more than 1 T to get positioning on you to shoot at you without hitting his teammate. Once you have no room to fall back and have to go down swinging, try to wait and peek the first guy coming into the site right as he's coming around the corner to your hiding spot. Remember, as long as you stay alive, the T team has to account for you. They'd like to start preparing to shoot at the rotating CTs, but if you're still alive, not all of them can do that. If you're playing a position where you can fall back all the way out of the site entirely, don't be afraid to do so and just wait for the rest of your team, and retake as a group. It is far better than you dying.

On retakes - sometimes you're just gonna be hosed on these. It depends on how your teammates play, and how fast the T team is playing. But try to focus on the things you do have control over. Could you have rotated earlier with the information you had at the time? If not, could you have done something to gain enough information to comfortably rotate sooner, like pushing forward in your site when it was quiet to see that nobody was coming? If your teammates are getting repeatedly owned in the other site, you can always offer to trade positions with them. Also, I feel like a lot of people are too scared of over-rotating and getting yelled at. Just communicate to your teammate in the site that you are rotating, and tell him to be careful as a result. In my experience (LEM), very few teams will do any sort of fancy split strat or fake on a round where they have guns. If there is action in a site, that is most likely where the bomb is going, so get over there. If they get you with a fake...well good for them, I'd still rather play towards the most common situation. Now, T teams on an eco will fake all the time, so I'm much more cautious about rotating in those rounds.

In general on CT one of the biggest things you can do is be harder to kill. Don't play your site in the same spot every round. Mix it up. Play passively sometimes and aggressively other times. Throw a popflash and peek behind it every now and then. Rotate conservatively through CT spawn sometimes, and flank through the middle other times. Don't trade yourself 1 for 1, you want to get more than 1 kill, or at least buy a lot of time. CT starts with a map control advantage, so use it to the fullest.

Thanks a lot, I'll go over my replays and try to look out for the things you mentioned. When I get a chance I'll post one here too as I'm terrible at spotting my own mistakes.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
Ugh not good.

I still don't have my rank yet, but I just played another drunken MM and went 8-20 against a team of Gold Nova Master.

Christ I am super bad at this game. And ludicrously bad when drinking.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

don't play MM when drunk, it's annoying as a teammate and as an opponent.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Capt. Sticl posted:

Ugh not good.

I still don't have my rank yet, but I just played another drunken MM and went 8-20 against a team of Gold Nova Master.

Christ I am super bad at this game. And ludicrously bad when drinking.

Inb4 Mcvey telling you to lower your sensetivity.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
lower your alcohol sensitivity

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

dex_sda posted:

don't always play MM when drunk, it's annoying super cool as a teammate and as an opponent all the other kids are doing it.

If you always play drunk, then your rank will always reflect drunk play and the problem will solve itself.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Last night Demo invited me to his four-stack of SMFC/Global friends and I actually held my own and remained a positive score when we got set up against 4 SMFC's and 1 Global. I can tell that my aim is definitely there for the most part, but I still need to work on my positioning a good bit before I know that I can make the jump into the higher ranks. Although I'm willing to bet that it could have also dealt with the enemy team melting down during the first half, but gently caress it, my CS self-esteem is riding high right now.

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

The Ferret King posted:

If you always play drunk, then your rank will always reflect drunk play and the problem will solve itself.

This. GN3-MGE from about this time last month to now playing 1-2 games every couple of days and still going strong. Vodka if you're wondering.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I queued last night with a smurf friend and the other team was a SMFC, LEM, MG1, Nova 4, and a bot. Somehow we won and I didn't do as terrible as I thought I would. Just need to work on game sense since I felt my aim was pretty decent.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ice pick should be next knife.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Ice pick should be next knife.

Rubber chicken.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

symbolic posted:

I queued last night with a smurf friend and the other team was a SMFC, LEM, MG1, Nova 4, and a bot. Somehow we won and I didn't do as terrible as I thought I would. Just need to work on game sense since I felt my aim was pretty decent.

Good to know, keep us updated!

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

symbolic posted:

from personal experience, I will tell you that if you watch one of your own demos I think you will find that your aim is nowhere near as good as you think it is. This applies to everyone.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

real dilemma posted:

from personal experience, I will tell you that if you watch one of your own demos I think you will find that your aim is nowhere near as good as you think it is. This applies to everyone.

Umm, uhh, actually you'll find I have perfect aim :derp:

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!
Managed to drop 40 on the 29th round in that goonman last night and still lost in OT.

That 6v6 nuke sure was something though.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Goona shot some well animated mans tonight.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I like that we had three games in a row go to OT.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
This overpass monster smoke is hella boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlT0PuGpNP4

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

This overpass monster smoke is hella boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlT0PuGpNP4

New favorite smoke, thx for video

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Umm, uhh, actually you'll find I have perfect aim :derp:

But do you have Good Game Sense?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
yeah do you gg at the end of every round?

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item

real dilemma posted:

I have the worst aim.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

How the gently caress do people catalogue and recall like 150 individuals smokes and flashes across all these maps when most of them involve lining up with inconsequential map details? I wanna take my smoke game to the next level but I never seem to get to play the maps I practice new smokes and poo poo for.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Faffel posted:

How the gently caress do people catalogue and recall like 150 individuals smokes and flashes across all these maps when most of them involve lining up with inconsequential map details? I wanna take my smoke game to the next level but I never seem to get to play the maps I practice new smokes and poo poo for.

perhaps you should...queue for... the maps you practice?

then again the fact that 64 and 128 tick smokes are different is the stupidest loving thing so

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Faffel posted:

I picked three maps and learned them inside and out. I'm not going to play in tournaments with multiple map rotations. Keep it simple.

Just go into maps and figure out smokes that are easiest for you to duplicate at speed. A smoke that takes 15 seconds to line up isn't always useful.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014

real dilemma posted:

but my spray control is SPOT ON

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Kumbamontu posted:

then again the fact that 64 and 128 tick smokes are different is the stupidest loving thing so

Wait what?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

Wait what?

I havent played this game in like 6 months but unless something has changed if you try to throw 128 tick smokes in MM (and vice versa) they don't work properly

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Kumbamontu posted:

I play goonmans and MM but goonmans more than MM. But I don't always get to just play the map I practiced for.

But the smokes matter more in MM. So, I dunno.

I think the 128/64 tick difference comes from jumping/movement.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
How to smoke properly: stand in a place, look down, look up, look back down, move a little, look back up, aim for a second at some random target, jump and throw, if it hits somewhere helpful you're just king, if it doesn't, "loving 64 tick", repeat next round.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

DMG kinda reminds me of that one episode of True Detective where they infiltrate the biker gang and he's at the drug house. "Don't peak him. Do not peak him. Do not peak him." *headshot* "He's still pit."

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Practice smokes on an offline server.

Kumbamontu posted:

I havent played this game in like 6 months but unless something has changed if you try to throw 128 tick smokes in MM (and vice versa) they don't work properly

This is for jump throws only.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Kumbamontu posted:

Gotta turn down the sens.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

mcvey posted:

Practice smokes on an offline server.

This is for jump throws only.

the -128 or w/e launch option ensures your offline server is 128 tick, in case anybody does this and normally plays gmans/cevo/esea

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Just throw a lot of grenades until you get used to the physics, infinite possibilities, the skybox is the limit, etc

illezt
Mar 1, 2005

Faffel posted:

Man you play fighting games - same poo poo as going into training mode and learning links/combos/resets. Just grind it out in offline mode til it becomes second nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
My favorite part about video games is spending hours practicing for when you play video games.

• Locked thread