Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Snuffman posted:

Maybe I'm being deliberately dense, but is there no way to make an "on the go" playlist in the Podcast.app anymore? I don't like that.

My, probably outlier, usage case was that I'd just queue up a few specific episodes from my unlistened feed in the "on the go" playlist option and listen to that playlist. Now it seems like my only option is to have a smart-playlist thing in app that grabs just the latest episode of a show, which isn't what I want.

I guess I can just start playing a particular podcast and then use the "add to up next" option, but thats not great either.

EDIT: Yeaaahhh...that looks like how its done now. Eh..

EDIT2:

LOL.

Trigger warning: The Verge.

Butt Savage posted:

I know we're talking mobile ads, but I was presented with this on my desktop browser.

Is this part of the joke or is it pretty much theverge.jpg? I rarely visit that website to begin with, and this certainly doesn't make me want to go back more frequently.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Seeing the Verge poo poo itself over ad blockers is glorious

Before and after

At this point are we making fun of the verge or just trying to make sure these ads get seen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I dunno how it is now but when I was on Android, running an ad blocker was a bit more complex than how it is on iOS now. It seemed to run everything through its own connection, so all web traffic was routed through a proxy and that would strip out the ads. As far as I remember, it made Netflix have sync issues. I dunno what it's like now though!
It just works.TM

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh wow, I didn't realise it was that bad (I stay away from Android as much as I can). I see why they're worried.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Question Mark Mound posted:

Now imagine if all it took was a quick thumbprint scan on Apple Pay and a tiny $0.05 payment to see a piece of content - I get the feeling more people would be willing to do that than to pay a large monthly subscription whether they're regularly checking the site or not.

Boom, think you nailed it.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

So I have a few hours on Wi-Fi before I have no internet for 2 weeks. How stable is ios9 at the moment?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dugong posted:

So I have a few hours on Wi-Fi before I have no internet for 2 weeks. How stable is ios9 at the moment?

It's fine, if you're concerned that you might have issues I'd just leave it for 2 weeks, like nothing on this update is essential IMO.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

The web should've worked out a micropayment system akin to paypal (but less hated) that was quick, secure and easy and meant access to good quality journalism free of intrusive ads and tracking. But no, they forced us into a system that everyone hates and now we have the ability to do something about it.

Funny how Android has had ad blockers for ages, yet it's only when iOS gets involved does the industry poo poo itself. Guess all those metrics must tell them that that's the only platform to worry about.

Is there any data on penetration of those android blockers? Most people I know use android and nearly all of them use it as a dumbphone + Facebook machine. iOS seems a bit different if we're thinking of how mobile users find and adopt new features. Maybe the App Store makes a difference here? That seems to be the sticking point for blogs, the adoption rate being significant compared to android and desktop.

News isn't very good, though. I'd rather use Feedly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last I checked Android ad blockers were either system-wide but root-only or plugins for browsers no one actually used, so their impact was marginal, at best. More importantly, they weren't endorsed by Google as a major feature, while Apple is clearly pushing them to hit Google where it hurts.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Am I being daft or have they removed the Now Playing button on the default podcast app? Eeesshhh

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Now imagine if all it took was a quick thumbprint scan on Apple Pay and a tiny $0.05 payment to see a piece of content - I get the feeling more people would be willing to do that than to pay a large monthly subscription whether they're regularly checking the site or not.

That is two orders of magnitude too high to simply read an article. Also, not sure I want some payment platform directly linked to my identity & fingerprint to know everything I read.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought Apple Pay stripped everything like that and simply provided the payment to whoever is selling the goods with next to no information? It's why a lot of the stores don't like it, because they believe they should know as much as possible about each customer. Because they're dicks.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Last I checked Android ad blockers were either system-wide but root-only or plugins for browsers no one actually used, so their impact was marginal, at best. More importantly, they weren't endorsed by Google as a major feature, while Apple is clearly pushing them to hit Google where it hurts.

I'd actually disagree with the idea that Apple is really pushing them. Obviously they're in favor of them since they built the functionality in in the first place, but they don't seem to be actively promoting them. As far as I can tell, they've never been mentioned in any of the marketing for iOS 9. I'm sure they want people to use them, but they're playing it very low key.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

Am I being daft or have they removed the Now Playing button on the default podcast app? Eeesshhh

Like the new music app, whatever's playing appears as a bar across the bottom of the screen, just above unplayed/my podcasts/search...etc.

Weird at first but I got used to it.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Endless Mike posted:

This is the same argument the big verge article uses. 'Apple is pushing ad-blockers to hurt google'.

I don't think they need any pushing, I think there's just a lot of people that hate ads.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really didn't mind when the standard was a banner ad at the top and bottom, maybe a sidebar ad. But it's ridiculous now the number of ads, the "partner sites" and "stories you might be interested in," all additional ways of serving ads. I hope the Verge is right and this does blow up the web because it kind of sucks now and it needs a new model.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sites like Variety were loving atrocious on mobile. It'd load an ad that would resize the text on the article, then block the article. gently caress your ad model.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm just glad to be rid of those obnoxious javascript subscription popups and video ads with fake close buttons and really tiny actual close buttons. 1Blocker is working great in free mode and I might chuck $3.50 their way to get rid of loving social media share buttons as well, since they're built into the OS and I've never touched one anyway. Has whitelisting, too.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Does Applecare+ cover cosmetic issues?

My 5s works fine but is pretty scratched up after 2 years. My Applecare+ plan expires in November; can I just pay the damage deductable and get a new one?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Xabi posted:

It's a bit more sluggish after the update I believe, and my battery life seems to have taken a hit. However, that's always my worry when I update so I might just be imagining things.

nwin posted:

Yep-5s is definitely a little more sluggish with the new iOS. I can tell there's a delay in typing sometimes, and especially when scrolling through the forums. Also seems to lag a bit going to spotlight.
Not to poo poo on you guys specifically, but day-1 feedback on issues like these just isn't useful.
iOS does a ton of poo poo in the background after an update / restore that can trickle out over a few hours / couple of days and performance and battery life will be weaker as a result.

Spotlight especially will lag.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This guy is doing gods work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?EverythingApplePro?videos

Direct comparisons of iOS 8.4.1 vs iOS 9 on the iPhone 4s, 5, 5s, and 6. And then another video comparing if 9.1 helped speed up the 4s and 5.

I think it's safe to say that the 5s is safe for upgrading to iOS 9, but it's going to start lagging on anything older.

Wish he did a similar comparison for the iPads

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Khablam posted:

Not to poo poo on you guys specifically, but day-1 feedback on issues like these just isn't useful.
iOS does a ton of poo poo in the background after an update / restore that can trickle out over a few hours / couple of days and performance and battery life will be weaker as a result.

I have been running it 2 days and have seen no difference between ios8 or 9 in that time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You're insane. Micropayments are not a new idea, it's a concept that has existed since the Internet was around. It's been tried many times and in every which way. People don't want to pay for content on the web. Blogs posts have effectively zero value so advertising provided the monetization. Now advertising and ad blocking is going into an ever increasing arms race and we're going to see the rise of "native content" and ads being part of the site assets. If you think that they'll go away quietly you're mistaken.

Just laughing at the though that someone would pay 5 cents or 1 cent or whatever everyone they clicked the next button on imgur. It will never ever happen.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Khablam posted:

Ok boss

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

FCKGW posted:

You're insane. Micropayments are not a new idea, it's a concept that has existed since the Internet was around. It's been tried many times and in every which way. People don't want to pay for content on the web. Blogs posts have effectively zero value so advertising provided the monetization. Now advertising and ad blocking is going into an ever increasing arms race and we're going to see the rise of "native content" and ads being part of the site assets. If you think that they'll go away quietly you're mistaken.

Just laughing at the though that someone would pay 5 cents or 1 cent or whatever everyone they clicked the next button on imgur. It will never ever happen.

Agreed, people will either work around it or just gravitate towards free content. The idea of constantly chucking internet nickels to read sites is hilarious.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Now imagine if all it took was a quick thumbprint scan on Apple Pay and a tiny $0.05 payment to see a piece of content

This would set a ridiculously bad precedent to turn the internet into a big toll road.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Snuffman posted:

Like the new music app, whatever's playing appears as a bar across the bottom of the screen, just above unplayed/my podcasts/search...etc.

Weird at first but I got used to it.

Another piss in our mouths by Tim. Jesus loving Christ. Now playing was great because it would be there even if you weren't actively listening to a podcast. Let's you get back to your last thing, and now it's gone. Eat my rear end Tim. gently caress you jony.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
The split between editorial and advertising has always been contentious, a writer who doesn't see the viewpoint of a reader that doesn't want ads is a writer whose relevance is at best questionable.

I don't think advertising is inherently evil or bad, but I think a news source that doesn't have contention with their own advertising is one that isn't challenging either side to be good enough. This is a nice little controversy to remind us of where our news sources lie on the spectrum.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't realize people actually used the default podcast app.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The problem isn't ads, the problem is bad ads.
With no incentive not to be giant thundercunts, the ad networks have been giant thundercunts. Ads that flash at 200Hz or open across the whole screen have to go. Targeted ads that don't intrude on the content? I don't mind that picture.

ABP does the thing where it will allow known-good ads to show, but few people are adopting this. Perhaps when ad blockers are ubiquitous across platforms people will look at ways at showing ads people don't find offensive.

Those PCMag / Verge screenshots where only half the headline is on the page are hilarious, largely because they're committing a faux-pas to themselves by putting their headlines "below the fold".

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have a friend who doesn't want to see personal texts on their work iPhone, even though it is signed into their personal iCloud account. So we turned it off in Settings, and now if they send a message to me, they show as green SMS, so that's good. But if I send them a message, my phone still thinks they have iMessage and the blue message just goes nowhere.

Is there any way to fix this? Does it sort itself out if you wait a while?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Khablam posted:

The problem isn't ads, the problem is bad ads.
With no incentive not to be giant thundercunts, the ad networks have been giant thundercunts. Ads that flash at 200Hz or open across the whole screen have to go. Targeted ads that don't intrude on the content? I don't mind that picture.

ABP does the thing where it will allow known-good ads to show, but few people are adopting this. Perhaps when ad blockers are ubiquitous across platforms people will look at ways at showing ads people don't find offensive.

Those PCMag / Verge screenshots where only half the headline is on the page are hilarious, largely because they're committing a faux-pas to themselves by putting their headlines "below the fold".

Yeah, they're selling themselves out and then not even giving the most cursory of glances at a mirror before taking a stance on it.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Endless Mike posted:

I do. Never had a problem :shrug:
Although to be honest I'm not really a heavy podcast listener.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Endless Mike posted:

I use it. If you never try another one, you don't know what you're missing. :v:

Seriously though, I'm not minding the changes too much. The background color adjusting depending on the podcast's logo is a little weird, but there's always the option to disable that if I don't like it. I missed the 'Now Playing' button for a second before realizing the little miniplayer at the bottom was more useful since I could scroll through other podcasts and still control the currently playing one.

The only thing about it that really bugs me is the badge icon for unlistened episodes - before they used to disappear when I'd open the app and see what new episodes were available, now they don't go away unless you actually listen to them so I'll always have a badge over the icon, basically.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Astro7x posted:

This guy is doing gods work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?EverythingApplePro?videos

Direct comparisons of iOS 8.4.1 vs iOS 9 on the iPhone 4s, 5, 5s, and 6. And then another video comparing if 9.1 helped speed up the 4s and 5.

I think it's safe to say that the 5s is safe for upgrading to iOS 9, but it's going to start lagging on anything older.

Wish he did a similar comparison for the iPads

Your URL didn't work for me so I found a different link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSuYKg9aBN0

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So does low power mode actually slow down the CPU in any way? I mean, can you still benefit from it if you have all the poo poo turned off (Animation wiggly poo poo, ackground app refresh, push, etc)

I just saw this which is a nice little feature

quote:

Any time you place your iPhone face down on a surface, be it a desk or a bed, it's able to detect its orientation. As such, the screen will forgo lighting up when it receives a push notification.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just got an email notifying me of the iCloud storage price drop. Whoo saving me $1/month.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

FCKGW posted:

I'm not saying it's necessarily the best way to go and obviously not for sites like Imgur, but if you're a fan of a specific newspaper or magazine but only read it occasionally - or only the editorials by a certain person, I think a tiny, tiny payment on the stuff you want to read is easier to swallow than £8 a month on something you might not even look at. It's a model that could potentially work for some websites and audiences, the tough bit is making sure it's convenient and cheap enough for the user to not care about such a small amount of time or money invested in the payment process.

Like, if you could tie Apple Pay into something like Flattr or Patreon or even just a quick PayPal donation, I like to occasionally chuck a donation in the direction of some of the free podcasts I listen to.

edit: Unrelated, but with my Dropbox getting rather full I'm considering either moving to or supplementing the space with OneDrive since it's 15GB for free or something big like that. Can anyone vouch for how many apps tend to support it? Dropbox seems to be covered by absolutely everything.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 18, 2015

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

edit: Unrelated, but with my Dropbox getting rather full I'm considering either moving to or supplementing the space with OneDrive since it's 15GB for free or something big like that. Can anyone vouch for how many apps tend to support it? Dropbox seems to be covered by absolutely everything.

Dropbox is still much more ubiquitous, and I'm running into the same issue. I have a ton of OneDrive and Gdrive space, and Evernote premium, and I'm at the point where I'm just giving apps that can't support any of those the axe unless absolutely necessary. I'm tired of janitoring poo poo for my apps.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FCKGW posted:

I don't think all web content could or should be monetised, but if I had to pay a few cents for a John Siracusa (RIP, professionally at least) review of OS X, I wouldn't think twice about it. The web has effectively killed good journalism because it's all about speed, and most articles online are full of errors and not worth the time reading because good writing doesn't equate to income. The only way sites can make money is to piss the user off, because the only ads that pay anything worthwhile are the ones that gently caress people over the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I have so much free space in OneDrive and Google Drive but I still pay for Dropbox because 1) I'm an idiot and 2) It's everywhere, works great, and has never lost a file in the many years I've used it. I have Arq backing up 3 different computers to it now, just because I have the space, and run basically my entire life from it.