Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I can't decide on the design of the new Moto 360. How does this look?

Ignoring the band of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That bezel is hideous. It looks like something you'd buy at Fossil.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, thats what I though. I just figured the krul or whatever the hell its called wouldn't get scratched.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I'm not saying this about any particular poster but whenever I see someone asking for advice on these forums I always think about the photos posted of goons and realise there's a good chance the person asking for advice on say... the watch they've designed for themselves... are probably being advised by a fedora/mlp/furry/etc. lunatic and if they told you to wear a certain watch in real life you'd instinctively do the exact opposite.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ugh those lugs are so gauche

Actual goon.

Edit: in a shocking development, Motorola didn't completely forget about Canada this time. Many versions of the new 360 available for pre order at best buy: http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/SearchResults.aspx?path=ca77b9b4beca91fe414314b86bb581f8en20&query=moto+360

$380 to $500 :canada:

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 8, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Verizon has the LG G Watch for $50. Would it be a decent price to get a feel for Android Wear and have a cool looking watch or should I pass?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Skeezy posted:

Verizon has the LG G Watch for $50. Would it be a decent price to get a feel for Android Wear and have a cool looking watch or should I pass?

If you think the LG G Watch is cool looking, you should definitely go for it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rastor posted:

If you think the LG G Watch is cool looking, you should definitely go for it.

Ahaha I don't really think it's the best looking watch but it's neat I guess.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

Skeezy posted:

I've got the LG G ($50 from AT&T a while back), I think $50 to get a feel for Android Wear is a great starting point.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

echo465 posted:

I've got the LG G ($50 from AT&T a while back), I think $50 to get a feel for Android Wear is a great starting point.

This was exactly my thought, when I bought mine used from a coworker. It's not the best looking watch out there, but it gives you an idea of if you'd actually get any reasonable use out of it. It doesn't have any of the fancy sensors or the built in wifi that the other watches have, but it's still a great way to get your feet wet and see if you want to invest more.

10Thumbs
Apr 4, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Probably? I wouldn't want to try it myself, what kind of profession does that?

Have you looked at something like this for scratch removal?
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Rejuvenate-Stainless-Steel-Scratch-Eraser-Kit-RJSSRKIT/203221058

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
New to the Android Wear stuff.

How well do brands mix and match?

I have a Note 5, would another brand watch work just fine with it?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Krime posted:

New to the Android Wear stuff.

How well do brands mix and match?

I have a Note 5, would another brand watch work just fine with it?

As long as it runs Android Wear as its OS, all watches work with any Android phone more or less identically.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Logikv9 posted:

As long as it runs Android Wear as its OS, all watches work with any Android phone more or less identically.*

* So long as the phone runs Android 4.3 or higher. And I believe there are some features gated behind 5, and MAYBE 5.1 also.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Logikv9 posted:

As long as it runs Android Wear as its OS, all watches work with any Android phone more or less identically.

G-Prime posted:

* So long as the phone runs Android 4.3 or higher. And I believe there are some features gated behind 5, and MAYBE 5.1 also.

Cool. Guess I know what's going on my Christmas list

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Someone secretly taped my wife and I with our new Huatches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ln1EbczKHw

That seems like something that could go horribly wrong. I'd rather just pay a pro.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So Moto Connect updated last night and now I have a bunch of new interactive watch faces. I think some of these are from the new 360, so it's cool the the old one is still getting love.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Speaking of interactive watch faces. Is there anything cool out yet? I've seen the few "official" ones but nothing special yet.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Require More Fire posted:

So Moto Connect updated last night and now I have a bunch of new interactive watch faces. I think some of these are from the new 360, so it's cool the the old one is still getting love.
You can also now set the colour of the clock on the charging display (blue, red, green, pink, yellow) which is something I've always felt was missing.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 14, 2015

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Tunga posted:

You can also now set the colour of the clock on the charging display (blue, red, green, pink, yellow) which is something I've always felt was missing.

Huh. That's pretty cool. Now I can further match my X's red and black color scheme!

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Require More Fire posted:

Thanks for the heads up, happy to see that they're still looking after us early adopters. That said, the new Dials face (the old one was renamed World Clock) doesn't look as nice as I hoped. Maybe it looks better on the new models.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't decide whether black bezel / silver frame / black strap will look good on the new 360 or whether the bezel/frame really need to be the same colour. I like the silver buckle/lugs as kind of highlights around a mostly black watch, but I'm not sure if it'll look weird/cheap. I'd happy take an all black watch with a grey leather strap but for some reason there is no such option this time.

Any opinions from people who understand fashion and poo poo?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Tunga posted:

I can't decide whether black bezel / silver frame / black strap will look good on the new 360 or whether the bezel/frame really need to be the same colour. I like the silver buckle/lugs as kind of highlights around a mostly black watch, but I'm not sure if it'll look weird/cheap. I'd happy take an all black watch with a grey leather strap but for some reason there is no such option this time.

Black is more likely to show scratches so keep that in mind.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

Black is more likely to show scratches so keep that in mind.
My 2014 360 is black/black and it's generally unscathed despite me bashing it into walls and poo poo a bunch of times, so I'm not too concerned about that. I also find it a bit boring to look at, like it looks a bit too much like a gadget rather than a watch, hence my consideration of some silver.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tunga posted:

My 2014 360 is black/black and it's generally unscathed despite me bashing it into walls and poo poo a bunch of times, so I'm not too concerned about that. I also find it a bit boring to look at, like it looks a bit too much like a gadget rather than a watch, hence my consideration of some silver.

I like the silver one. Black watches don't look as nice in general IMO.

My silver Huawei Watch will supposedly be shipped tomorrow. We'll see if Google Store Canada can be a bit more reliable than they were with the Nexus 6...

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Tunga posted:

#3 definitely looks more "watchy" for lack of a better word.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The multicolor one looks bad. The silver one looks most like a real watch and the black one looks like a fitness tracker or something.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Huawei Watch vs. Moto 360 2015. Lots of pictures included.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rastor posted:

Huawei Watch vs. Moto 360 2015. Lots of pictures included.

Basically "pay $50 to have the flat tire removed."

I can understand why it may be a bit more difficult for those who actually have access to motomaker in their country, or really really love qi charging, but otherwise...

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I really prefer the options on the new 360, give me a silver case, black bezel and silver metal band so horribly denied to me as a UK 360 owner from release.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Reverse Centaur posted:

I can understand why it may be a bit more difficult for those who actually have access to motomaker in their country, or really really love qi charging, but otherwise...
Price difference seems like it will be €100 in Europe. UK Huawei price currently unknown.

360 also has the option of the bigger model.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

I dislike AMOLED, proprietary chargers, and lack of ambient light sensors. Plus as they were the same price how I would've configured them so to me the 360/2 was just preferable.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I dislike AMOLED, proprietary chargers, and lack of ambient light sensors. Plus as they were the same price how I would've configured them so to me the 360/2 was just preferable.
To be fair, every report I've seen says that the Huatch screen is nicer than the new 360's. Brighter, higher resolution, and sapphire glass. AMOLED also has potential battery life benefits.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

amoled is a lot nicer at night since only a handful of pixels are lit up to show the time. It's a lot less bothersome to you and people around you than the backlight you get with an LCD.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nitrousoxide posted:

amoled is a lot nicer at night since only a handful of pixels are lit up to show the time. It's a lot less bothersome to you and people around you than the backlight you get with an LCD.

But without an ambient light sensor, you are fiddling with the brightness manually to make that happen. I can go straight from a bright lit indoors to my car in the middle of night and have it be the perfect brightness in both situations without touching it.

I would pay MORE to get the ambient light sensor. It's that useful to me.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I definitely wouldn't mind a light sensor but surely they can do it with a full circle? Can't they stick it through a hole on the side?

I just put my watch in theatre mode in the car at night, etc, would rather do that and have a full circle.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

I definitely wouldn't mind a light sensor but surely they can do it with a full circle? Can't they stick it through a hole on the side?

I just put my watch in theatre mode in the car at night, etc, would rather do that and have a full circle.

I won't deny that I'd rather have a protrusion with the sensor and a full circle than the flat tire but I'd 100% prefer having one to not having one. Doesn't Apple put theirs behind the screen?

Tunga posted:

To be fair, every report I've seen says that the Huatch screen is nicer than the new 360's. Brighter, higher resolution, and sapphire glass. AMOLED also has potential battery life benefits.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not that all of this isn't true but I really don't like predominantly black themes in anything, I'm certain I'll be using a white or near-white clockface.

I'm not saying the 360/2 is the perfect Android Wear device or even my perfect Android Wear device, it's just the one I like best. Even minor things like the way the screen bezel is dished on the Huawei versus convex on the 360/2 or the additional area between the bezel and the lugs on the Huawei just aren't aesthetically pleasing to me.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Well, you can tap the button on android wear watches twice to automatically go into theater mode and three times to turn on brightness boost. I think that's easy enough to offset most of the hassle of not having an ambient sensor if you just set the normal brightness to indoor mode and tap it when you're outside and can't see.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

My favorite watch face you can't even see the flat tire. (not that I care the slightest bit about the flat tire)

BadApps Quartz

I like its retro feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

So what would you guys recommend for a decent watch around the $100 mark or so? I don't mind used. I had the LG G watch to get a taste of wear, but I'm ready for something nicer, but can't afford $250-300.