Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Unmature posted:

Now someone balance this out by posting some panels of American Flagg. That comic is GORGEOUS.

No it isn't.

Howard Chaykin having theoretically drawn something good one time while no witnesses were around is no excuse for his modern work, at any rate. Dude comes on comics and ruins them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Howard Chaykin accurately predicted the future of media like 17 goddamned times.

You will respect Howard Chaykin.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If he stops pretending to be an artist and sticks to writing, then I'll think about respecting him.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Lurdiak posted:

No it isn't.

Howard Chaykin having theoretically drawn something good one time while no witnesses were around is no excuse for his modern work, at any rate. Dude comes on comics and ruins them.

:lol:

I've never read American Flagg, but just from Google Images I can tell it was a million times better then his current work.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

His Shadow stuff is worth every page of his modern output just for the lettering.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
The first 12 issues of American Flagg! were so loving good, you guys. So loving good. Like "deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns' good. The Duoshade illustration boards Chaykin was using let him do some amazing things with shaded textures and there's some phenomenal use of what I think was Zipatone that gives the art this amazing sort of Pop Art feel. It cannot be overstated just how excellent that book was.

Chaykin's art isn't my cup of tea these days either, but Jesus. So good. Anyone who wants to say Chaykin doesn't deserve respect is a butt.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Black Kiss is hot fire, too.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Those Scary Godmother pages are gorgeous. I think an earlier poster is completely right when they brought up the issue of modern colouring being bloody awful in the main, compare those beautiful Scary Godmother pages or Blacksad with the kind of flat, lazy 'click to fill' bullshit you see on a lot of comics these days, it just makes you wonder how good a lot of books could really look if some actual effort was applied to the colouring.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

If he stops pretending to be an artist and sticks to writing, then I'll think about respecting him.

Who the hell are you that anybody cares that you hold your respect for ransom like this. You're school on Saturday man, you sit down and keep quiet. When your rear end is 64 you probably won't be as good at what you did your entire life (being petulant on message boards) either.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Who the hell are you that anybody cares that you hold your respect for ransom like this. You're school on Saturday man, you sit down and keep quiet. When your rear end is 64 you probably won't be as good at what you did your entire life (being petulant on message boards) either.

You seem really mad about me having opinions.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

You seem really mad about me having opinions.

Your opinions are bullshit. Your opinions are a fart into the soundhole of an acoustic guitar. Howard Chaykin rules. If I do nothing else on this messageboard built as it is on a swamp of lies and ignorance I will go to bat for Howard Chaykin.

I was given American Flagg! to read at a young age and it has left an impression. I have always felt he did not get his dues for how good his comics were. Now he is old and people who don't know what's what are talking uneducated baloney about the man. I will stand for a lot of things in this world but that is not one of them. Do not confuse righteous indignation with anger.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh, that explains your reaction to me not respecting a guy who repeatedly handed in total dog poo poo on books that I genuinely cared about, completely ruining them.

Even if he'd drawn and written my favorite comics from the 80s, I can't really react to the comic book art equivalent of being flipped off with anything but contempt. "I know you wanted this book to look good, but I'm Howard Chaykin and I don't have to do my job right to get paid."

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I sure am tired of all these Star Chaykin Wars

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Travis343 posted:

Actually, that seems like the sort of thing a 64 year old would be much better at.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, that explains your reaction to me not respecting a guy who repeatedly handed in total dog poo poo on books that I genuinely cared about, completely ruining them.

Even if he'd drawn and written my favorite comics from the 80s, I can't really react to the comic book art equivalent of being flipped off with anything but contempt. "I know you wanted this book to look good, but I'm Howard Chaykin and I don't have to do my job right to get paid."

You're welcome to not like Howard Chaykin. Taste is subjective after all. I realize you're Canadian but I think our constitutions are similar enough that I can agree that you have that freedom. You're wrong, but you're welcome to be wrong.

What's bullshit, is when you stand on top of that wrong, and say a bunch of loud ignorant noise about it. You say stuff like he 'theoretically' made good art 'one time'. This is just crass. You're being rude, intentionally, and you know it. My point is the man does not deserve your sass. He is a well accomplished older gentleman, and you are an ignorant younger dude of Internets. There's no question here of who should respect who. You're making yourself look bad here. Howard Chaykin is unaffected by your foolish posturing.

That's all I'm going to say since this is a pretty gnarly derail but I will close with some good Howard Chaykin art since this is the Good Art Thread.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm really not that young.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Travis343 posted:

You're welcome to not like Howard Chaykin. Taste is subjective after all. I realize you're Canadian but I think our constitutions are similar enough that I can agree that you have that freedom. You're wrong, but you're welcome to be wrong.

What's bullshit, is when you stand on top of that wrong, and say a bunch of loud ignorant noise about it. You say stuff like he 'theoretically' made good art 'one time'. This is just crass. You're being rude, intentionally, and you know it. My point is the man does not deserve your sass. He is a well accomplished older gentleman, and you are an ignorant younger dude of Internets. There's no question here of who should respect who. You're making yourself look bad here. Howard Chaykin is unaffected by your foolish posturing.

e:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't really think there's anything wrong with calling out his modern work for looking like total garbage. Which it definitely does. People do the same thing with JRJR. The fact that they did good work once upon a time doesn't make it acceptable to keep churning out lazy poo poo. If that were the case no one is ever allowed to complain about Bendis.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Travis343 posted:

When I was young and dumb(er), I found Kirby and Ditko to be unpleasant and uncomfortable to read. Like something was wrong with it. :ohdear:

Tastes can change. :shrug:

e: Slightly more on-topic, although I don't have any pictures to post right now: one thing Ditkirby did that nobody does nowadays was draw some people as ugly. Just straight-up nasty to look at. I wish there were a little more of that.

prefect fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 16, 2015

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

No it isn't.

He rules

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't really think there's anything wrong with calling out his modern work for looking like total garbage. Which it definitely does. People do the same thing with JRJR. The fact that they did good work once upon a time doesn't make it acceptable to keep churning out lazy poo poo. If that were the case no one is ever allowed to complain about Bendis.

Bingo. Lurdiak might be abrasive but he's totally valid in his argument against Chaykin.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He's actually just some smug comic book dweeb haha

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's not an argument anyone here gets to level against someone else with a straight face and you know it.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

mind the walrus posted:

Bingo. Lurdiak might be abrasive but he's totally valid in his argument against Chaykin.

Of course he is, it's just that...

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I wasn't saying that Chaykin is terrible always every time. I was referring specifically to my Immortal Iron Fist experience, where his work is a straight kick to the nuts. It doesn't fit, it's ugly, and it's not even stylistically appropriate (like it being a 50's flashback or something--it's just Danny in the modern day after sneaking out of a tournament.) Conversely, Dan Brereton's art is nothing like Aja's, but he got put on the Action Serial Adventures of Orson Randall sections of the Annual, where it fits in much more, and has a reason to look so different than what has come past.

Marvel editorial should have done a better job of sourcing the other part of the annual out to someone who maybe fit in with the stylistic mold David Aja had completely made his own for that series. Danny Rand, as depicted in IIF, should not have a face that you could build a house out of, for one thing. Nor should he have Simpsons lips. It was an unfortunate misfire, but I'm glad he's probably not going to show up again during the series.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 16, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Equeen posted:

mind the walrus posted:

That's not an argument anyone here gets to level against someone else with a straight face and you know it.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Chaykin has done really good stuff and also really bad stuff, just like me, Barack Obama

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Equeen posted:

That is what we all are tho.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Howard Chaykin is a better artist than your favorite artist, assuming your favorite artist isn't already Howard Chaykin

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

redbackground posted:

I wasn't saying that Chaykin is terrible always every time. I was referring specifically to my Immortal Iron Fist experience, where his work is a straight kick to the nuts. It doesn't fit, it's ugly, and it's not even stylistically appropriate (like it being a 50's flashback or something--it's just Danny in the modern day after sneaking out of a tournament.) Conversely, Dan Brereton's art is nothing like Aja's, but he got put on the Action Serial Adventures of Orson Randall sections of the Annual, where it fits in much more, and has a reason to look so different than what has come past.

Marvel editorial should have done a better job of sourcing the other part of the annual out to someone who maybe fit in with the stylistic mold David Aja had completely made his own for that series. Danny Rand, as depicted in IIF, should not have a face that you could build a house out of, for one thing. Nor should he have Simpsons lips. It was an unfortunate misfire, but I'm glad he's probably not going to show up again during the series.

Every time I read this part of the series, even though I know I'm reading about Iron Fist, when I initially see that picture you posted, for a brief second my brain thinks it's Steve Rogers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Its not even the worst art in the series as that goes to whoever did this

Immortal Weapons

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Immortal Weapons

Rock over K'un Lun, rock on Chicago

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Immortal Weapons

The bug-eyed face grabs your attention, and then you start noticing the strange fat distribution and the crooked gun.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

These words, like daggers...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There is nothing wrong with criticizing an artists more recent work, and it by no means diminishes their past artwork. The good art will still be around, just like the bad art. Chaykin is a good example of this (and saying his current output is garbage does in no way mean all his artwork is garbage). Another good example of this is Kyle Baker, whose older stuff has always been fun cartoonish stuff and his current stuff borders on poser crap.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Travis343 posted:

That's all I'm going to say since this is a pretty gnarly derail but I will close with some good Howard Chaykin art since this is the Good Art Thread.

I can't be the only one who looks at these three pieces and thinks they're the same man in each drawing...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They are rather generic yeah.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Steve Dillon effect

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

redbackground posted:

It was not Marvel editorial, Matt Fraction is a giant Chaykin fanboy.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Chaykin does have certain stock characters he always draws: the square-jawed, vaguely Semitic-looking hero who looks like an old-timey matinee idol, the icy, WASPy blonde ball-busting femme fatale, etc. I think he once likened these familiar designs to a director working with the same actors in a repertory company, like the old Hollywood studio system. Frankly, that explanation worked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Meh, not that different from Osamu Tezuka's "Star System" I suppose, but for the fact that he clearly "casts" his "actors" onto set characters with very recognizable looks that don't match at all, like Indy up there.