Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I used to have an HTC Desire phone which would randomly turn on several hours after it was turned off. Scared the poo poo out of me when it did it the first time at 3am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

My neighbors have a giant loud-rear end 4-wheeler with a busted muffler that their teenage son drives nonstop all day every day up and down their driveway. He usually decides to really get going when my kids lay down for a nap and it pisses me off so much. I've asked them to keep it down and they basically told me to gently caress off. I live in the county and there's no noise ordinance so I can't make a complaint either.

So, I usually tend to mow at 3 or 4 in the morning, and the best place to start is riiiiiight outside their bedroom window. I usually have to make five or six or fifteen passes over that area because it's pretty tricky.

That's my story.

Another reason to move away from wherever you are at and to a better job.

e: I see this has been already pointed out.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 17, 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FreshFeesh posted:

Does the thread have any recommendation for a knowledge base system?

Currently I maintain an internal Mediawiki install that has things like client environment notes, vendor contact details, known software incompatibilities, and overviews of our internal processes and procedures. While the current system works it's more robust and cumbersome than I'd like, particularly when trying to maintain categories and lists of pages. Ideally I won't be the only one maintaining whatever system we decide on once our team expands a bit, so I want to make it as easy as possible to use.

Current job uses Confluence, which seems pretty spiffy so far.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
The Atlassian/Confluence stuff is nice but it gets a little expensive. It works really well though and has Sharepoint integration, if that's your thing.

If your team is small (less than ten people) it's absurdly cheap, but anything past ten people ramps into the thousands, if memory serves.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Definitely less than 10 people; I'm looking for something roughly midway between flat files in a shared Dropbox hierarchy and something I'd have to actively maintain like a wiki

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I am going to find who did this and I am going to do bad things to them. There are at least 15 cables like this.

Like what the gently caress. It's a loose cable, you don't need to ziptie it.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 17, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Collateral Damage posted:

Ugh, people who don't understand how much data are in their datasets. We have users who keep complaining that running reports in one of our system is slow, and it's always because they try to include like 10 years of history which makes the report generation take several minutes.

(That said system lacks any kind of history aggregation or caching of calculated data is a valid complaint, but most users don't care about data older than a few weeks.)

What do you mean it's going to take 45 days to upload my data? It's only 1 TB.

(They're on a lovely DSL connection)

FreshFeesh posted:

Does the thread have any recommendation for a knowledge base system?

Currently I maintain an internal Mediawiki install that has things like client environment notes, vendor contact details, known software incompatibilities, and overviews of our internal processes and procedures. While the current system works it's more robust and cumbersome than I'd like, particularly when trying to maintain categories and lists of pages. Ideally I won't be the only one maintaining whatever system we decide on once our team expands a bit, so I want to make it as easy as possible to use.

Confluence.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
You can share users on JIRA and Confluence :ssh: $10 one time to host it yourself is an awesome deal, it's a Tomcat server that comes bundled with startup and config scripts. They will host it for $10, monthly

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

"We swear this database program with confidential files installs on windows 7, that's what we use and it works ok."

Disk contains an install of SQL Express 2005 which guess what doesn't work in windows 7 because the installer can't start the service. You have to have Express 2005 SP3 according to MS. The dumb installer won't work with that thought cause it has to know it installed it's version (that it can't) and so I'm stuck here repeating myself. I have a feeling they installed the correct version on their computers but the make a CD process pulls the old version out of somehwere.

It's gotten to the point my client is like we have a file share system can we just use that. You know like smart people do in 2015 you loving backasswords bank.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

larchesdanrew posted:

I was out running an errand when a call from the GM came in.

:downs: We're in the conference room and we don't have audio.
:v: Is the television muted?
:downs: No, the volume is as high as it will go!
:v: How about the volume on the computer?
:downs: It's as high as it will go to.
:v: Maybe try pulling the HDMI cable out of the television and plugging it back in?
:downs: What's a H-Deemi cable?
:v: ... I'll be there in a minute

I rush back to work and go into the conference room. GM says they've tried everything and they've got a teleconference that should have started ten minutes ago.

I unmuted the television.
http://imgur.com/gallery/H6hIm

loving people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pr0digal posted:

I am going to find who did this and I am going to do bad things to them. There are at least 15 cables like this.

As in, they tied your spares together?

Don't you have any velcro cable ties or something? Or at least like, a wire twisty one?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

This is my face on most calls I get. Especially when they insist on telling me a 2 minute long story about how the error message came up.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pr0digal posted:

my ex did this to all of the wires in our house once. ziptied EVERYTHING.

She only did it once.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Inspector_666 posted:

This is my face on most calls I get. Especially when they insist on telling me a 2 minute long story about how the error message came up.

10 minute story about all the totally work related things they were doing, then 5 minutes about how it's keeping them from doing anything. Then you ask what the message actually said.

"Oh, I don't know, I clicked it off before I could read it FIX IT"

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

OwlFancier posted:

As in, they tied your spares together?

Don't you have any velcro cable ties or something? Or at least like, a wire twisty one?

Yeah I went into the supply area at a client site as I needed to patch something and found this.

They have plenty of velcro, we use it to tidy up our cable runs. Just someone was apparently "gently caress it". Probably that dude who was complaining about velcro when we were running cable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The velcro ones don't hold too well but I'm sure they can manage to keep a drawer tidy. I love nailing my cables to the wall if they're not supposed to move but it's annoying to do it with ones you're going to change, like the spares.

Why doesn't he like the velcro?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

OwlFancier posted:

The velcro ones don't hold too well but I'm sure they can manage to keep a drawer tidy. I love nailing my cables to the wall if they're not supposed to move but it's annoying to do it with ones you're going to change, like the spares.

Why doesn't he like the velcro?

I'm not really sure, he just spent 10 minutes bitching about it.

We use velcro because we're constantly either running new cable along existing cable runs or re-racking poo poo and moving a lot of cable.

Speaking of which too long fibre cables make me very very sad. They're such a pain to trace when they span four racks, in a bundle of a million other cables and are a hundred feet long :smith:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Client needed some software updated on their server, but the installer threw up an error message saying "not enough disk space, you need 700Mb to install". I check and only half the 100Gb C drive is in use. I get in touch with the software company
I was asked how much space was left, said "about fifty". Was asked to be precise, said "48.3GB". Apparently it's a known bug that the update will fail if the amount of free space on the drive in Gb is a multiple of four. I made a sceptical face, copy pasted the installer a bunch of times to bring the space down to 47Gb and ran again. It worked :psyduck:

I can't imagine how that could work and sometimes wonder if I know anything at all.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

gently caress people who ziptie cables super tight! That drives me up the wall. I hate when they clinch is so tight you cant even get a knife blade in there for when you will have to inevitably cut it to move a cable around. So you're left trying to saw the drat thing and hope you dont cut into the cable. Those velcor straps work just as well and can be easily removed. The only place for zipties is in outdoor cable installations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

Client needed some software updated on their server, but the installer threw up an error message saying "not enough disk space, you need 700Mb to install". I check and only half the 100Gb C drive is in use. I get in touch with the software company
I was asked how much space was left, said "about fifty". Was asked to be precise, said "48.3GB". Apparently it's a known bug that the update will fail if the amount of free space on the drive in Gb is a multiple of four. I made a sceptical face, copy pasted the installer a bunch of times to bring the space down to 47Gb and ran again. It worked :psyduck:

I can't imagine how that could work and sometimes wonder if I know anything at all.

4 GB just so happens to be the largest number 32 bit can represent. So the free size is supposed to be represented as a 64 bit number.
However, if you take 48.3 GB represented as a 64 bit number, and chop off the high 32 bit, truncating it to a 32 bit number, you instead get a value that looks like 300 MB.

48.3 GB = 0x0000000C'12C00000 bytes
Truncate the upper 32 bit = 0x12C00000 bytes = 314572800 bytes = 300 MB

IOW. idiot programmers stuck in 1995.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

nielsm posted:

4 GB just so happens to be the largest number 32 bit can represent. So the free size is supposed to be represented as a 64 bit number.
However, if you take 48.3 GB represented as a 64 bit number, and chop off the high 32 bit, truncating it to a 32 bit number, you instead get a value that looks like 300 MB.

Now you mention it, I did know about the file size limitation on fat32 being 4GB so maybe that number should have rang a bell. Thanks for that explanation! :)

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The only place for zipties is in detaining suspects.

FTFY

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BaseballPCHiker posted:

gently caress people who ziptie cables super tight! That drives me up the wall. I hate when they clinch is so tight you cant even get a knife blade in there for when you will have to inevitably cut it to move a cable around. So you're left trying to saw the drat thing and hope you dont cut into the cable. Those velcor straps work just as well and can be easily removed. The only place for zipties is in outdoor cable installations.

The best is when the zipties are around the power cables and you can't unplug them before you need to move them!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

nielsm posted:

:eyepop:

I think I have a new rule of software: "every bug is probably a 32-bit overflow"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

We pre-built a server cabinet for a remote office, then disconnected everything before shipping it and told the local guys to just roll it in and leave it and we'd be around in a day too hook everything up. They insisted that they connect it and demanded a detailed schematic of all the connections. We eventually relented and spent half a day writing down all the connections so that a kindergartner could have gotten it right.

Then we show up and they've of course hooked it up wrong, threaded the cables through holes in the racks and zip tied everything tight.

Instead of spending a day trying to reroute everything we just cut the connectors off the incorrect cables so we could pull them out without having to gently caress with it, then put new cables in place.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
a new signature came in

All the poo poo that's usually at the end of an e-mail
All the poo poo no one reads
Your name
Your position

I... but... just... :negative:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's like putting the milk at the furthest end of a store, they want to make sure people at least have to skim over their legal bullshit and "please consider the environment before printing this email" crapola before they get to your name.

Be a rebel, put your name first.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Be a rebel, put your name first.

Most people will probably do this

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Citrix and Java are bastard programs made by nightmare people. Especially when I have to roll back java to j7u56 and multiple hours troubleshooting it to get it to work. Remind me to just Uninstall java with JavaRa in the future.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Migishu posted:

a new signature came in

All the poo poo that's usually at the end of an e-mail
All the poo poo no one reads
Your name
Your position

I... but... just... :negative:

Ignore it. It's what I've done for years and no one of any consequence has ever mentioned it.

My branding consists of the company name in normal sized text and hyper link the company website. None of the other cruft marketing wants us to put there like the bajillion social media icons and the ginormous logo. And no, I'm not putting all my certification badges in my signature. That's almost as tacky as all those drat social icons.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
problem is, i can't ignore it. management will have a shitstorm if even one signature is non-compliant

:sigh:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Migishu posted:

problem is, i can't ignore it. management will have a shitstorm if even one signature is non-compliant

:sigh:

It's all pointless anyway, given that any legalese that occurs at the end of the message is utterly unenforceable as the recipient has already read the body of the text by the time they come it it.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

spog posted:

It's all pointless anyway, given that any legalese that occurs at the end of the message is utterly unenforceable as the recipient has already read the body of the text by the time they come it it.

Solution? Put everything at the front of the message.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I recall a customer sending me a superman-like image with a tie on it. I set it as my profile image for a while, proud of the customer who had thanked me for my years of help - shortly after I moved into IT. As to be expected, IT dept flipped the gently caress out and basically said "no can do!" As if internal profile icons meant something, while a bunch of people had their own that weren't linkedin profile pics and nobody gave a poo poo. The things some workplaces care about. It was about as aggressive/unsensitive as this image or so, roughly:
:v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I recall a customer sending me a superman-like image with a tie on it. I set it as my profile image for a while, proud of the customer who had thanked me for my years of help - shortly after I moved into IT. As to be expected, IT dept flipped the gently caress out and basically said "no can do!" As if internal profile icons meant something, while a bunch of people had their own that weren't linkedin profile pics and nobody gave a poo poo. The things some workplaces care about. It was about as aggressive/unsensitive as this image or so, roughly:

This is my Lync/Skype for Business/O365 avatar:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Fun? In my workplace?

It's more likely than you might think.

Click here to learn how to abolish fun from your work environment.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A busted permissions structure came in...

We have a very large file server with a bunch of points where inheritance got changed or broken, SIDs got orphaned, etc. over the years at my new job. My initial task was to see what sense we can make of it. After a bunch of tools showing huge, basically un-workable outputs of text or CSVs that ran to 10gb of output, my boss gave me the go-ahead to see what tools we could look into to manage the mess.

I can't be the first sysadmin in this situation. Anyone have recommendations for solutions that work well at managing big broken swaths of perms? Decent, readable reports are helpful, but even more helpful are actions that the solution could take to enact bulk changes. I can work this into next year's budget, too, so if I can justify the cost and preferably make it a single capex rather than a recurring expense, my boss will be able to sell it more easily to the finance organization.

I can't be the first sysadmin in this situation. I've worked with Varonis DatAdvantage in the past and really liked it - what I couldn't put together on my own, I was able to do with their support.

Any suggestions?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

flosofl posted:

This is my Lync/Skype for Business/O365 avatar:

I had the Get Out frog as mine for years before anyone commented on it.

And as for email sigs the first thing I did with the corporate "approved" one was strip out the logo. And my email address. And the corporate website address. And my fax number. And the disclaimer. And the notice about not printing to protect the environment.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
my confluence avatar is Rick from Rick and morty. Problem is, now everyone else on my team has a different rick avatar. we're just silly that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

My avatar for our office IM is the art for the MtG card Judge's Familiar, since my boss uses a picture of Judge Dredd. :v:

The people that play Magic and recognize the art think the joke is hilarious so I'm happy with it.

• Locked thread