Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ludwig van Halen posted:

classy as always

so he stopped selling it so he could spend more time working on podcast player?

podcast players and note taking apps are what you make to test the loving app store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

lol that marco dude is a giant retard

hi I have the biggest app in the App Store, I'm going to pull t because my whiny babby friends who can't program called me a bad person.

-a huge beta nerd

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the only reasonable reason for this would be if he feared it would affect his future employment. which i guess is possible in sv because the startup business model is 'uh, idk how to make money, ads maybe?'

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

whats even better is that he can do that and pretend its for morals but he's beyond rich from tumblr so it doesnt matter

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

marco arment, humble millionaire...

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
who isnt a humble millionaire? lol

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
lol marco backed down because gruber bitched because the app blocked his ad network.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh did he start tumblr or something?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

what kind of rich rear end in a top hat pulls the #1 paid app because he feels bad for blocking tracking code

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol being a millionaire can't even buy you a house in sv

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

lol marco backed down because gruber bitched because the app blocked his ad network.

if someone bitched about my ad blocker I;'d block their site

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Shaggar posted:

founding programmer or w/e. he left a long time ago but with lots of equity that yahoo bought

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Shaggar posted:

employee #1 after the founder

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

the only reasonable reason for this would be if he feared it would affect his future employment. which i guess is possible in sv because the startup business model is 'uh, idk how to make money, ads maybe?'

this human being doesn't have to worry about poo poo. he sold instapaper and got bought out of Tumblr as employee number two in a week. he is a multi millionaire who acts like he understands the plight of the indie developer.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
can ios ad blockers do content injection? for example if someone were to request jquery version X from goog's cdn could you intercept the request and replace it with a local static copy of that version of jquery or maybe redirect to another cdn?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i mean if he wants to found more companies and think that having his name associated with ad blockers would be bad for investment then w/e

he should have just created a startup to make the ad blocker. then pivoted to advertising

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ZShakespeare posted:

Yeah this was probably it, Gruber is for some reason both taken seriously and feared in Apple "journalism" circles.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's still mega lol that people are charging for ad blockers

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
lol gruber wrote this before he figured out that his 'classy ads' were being blocked.

quote:

Perhaps I am being smug. But I see the fact that Daring Fireball’s revenue streams should remain unaffected by Safari content-blocking as affirmation that my choices over the last decade have been correct: that I should put my readers’ interests first, and only publish the sort of ads and sponsorships that I myself would want to be served, even if that means leaving (significant) amounts of money on the table along the way. But I take no joy in the fact that a terrific publication like The Awl might be facing hard times. They’re smart; they will adapt.

gently caress tech journalism and the industry it has spawned. ooooh I like using my iPhone, I'm gonna start a website.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Shaggar posted:

can ios ad blockers do content injection? for example if someone were to request jquery version X from goog's cdn could you intercept the request and replace it with a local static copy of that version of jquery or maybe redirect to another cdn?

no but there's little reason to block static.google.com since as far as i know all they do is serve jquery and bootstrap and poo poo from there. trackers are on analytics.google.com, ads are on ads.g or doubleclick.g or whatever

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Shaggar posted:

nah
I'm pretty sure all you can do is give safari a list of urls like easylist to block

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Dirk Pitt posted:

lol gruber wrote this before he figured out that his 'classy ads' were being blocked.

gently caress tech journalism and the industry it has spawned. ooooh I like using my iPhone, I'm gonna start a website.

to be fair daring gruber gets most of his money from podcast ads and a weekly rss feed sponsored post, not some display ad in the corner of his site

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

http://daringfireball.net/feeds/sponsors/

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Dirk Pitt posted:

also, forums user Marco Arment does ego searches and then acts like criticism doesn't bother him.

lol is this why he took his poo poo down

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

i mean if he wants to found more companies and think that having his name associated with ad blockers would be bad for investment then w/e

he should have just created a startup to make the ad blocker. then pivoted to advertising

on his podcast, he poo poo on ad networks for ruining the web. guess they got to him

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

then his subscription magazine flopped big time

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Triglav posted:

no but there's little reason to block static.google.com since as far as i know all they do is serve jquery and bootstrap and poo poo from there. trackers are on analytics.google.com, ads are on ads.g or doubleclick.g or whatever

I don't think they don't track from the cdn just cause its not analytics.google.com

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ludwig van Halen posted:

nah
I'm pretty sure all you can do is give safari a list of urls like easylist to block

oh, is it safari only? that's retarded.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Shaggar posted:

oh, is it safari only? that's retarded.

and any apps that embed safari

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
so ios users are seriously getting excited about paying for browser adblocking? I thought it was os wide. that's a letdown

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Shaggar posted:

so ios users are seriously getting excited about paying for browser adblocking? I thought it was os wide. that's a letdown

it is os wide

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

its also coming os-wide to el capitan

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

this is how it actually worked

1. iOS 9 released
2. celebrity developer Marco Arment talks about his new app
3. a bunch of nerds see it and download (I am in that group)
4. nerds drive the app to the top of the App Store within hours. so by the time the laborers who don't have a wifi connection get home from work, Marco's app is number 1.

5. Marco bitches on his podcast about a five hour delay to get to the App Store because it cost him money.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

theres no ads anywhere else cause people pay for ios apps

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug
the best part about all these guys writing articles whining about adblock is that more people know it's possible now who otherwise would've never heard. I'm surprised they didn't just all agree to kinda not talk about it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
loving retarded dumbass i hope apple punishes him and also processes my refund quickly

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
yeah i don't think tim is gonna be happy about this

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Ben Grahams Ghost posted:

the best part about all these guys writing articles whining about adblock is that more people know it's possible now who otherwise would've never heard. I'm surprised they didn't just all agree to kinda not talk about it

oh drat. I never thought about this side. heh.

is Marco going to uninstall ghostery from his PC now as well? he came out in support of them a few weeks ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

yeah, i mean macrumors hasn't mentioned content blocking at all i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Dumbasses. DOnt they know weirdos who read iPhone App blogs know jackshit about online?

• Locked thread