Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Burt posted:

I have the Warspite and the Tirpz.

The Warspite is very much a brawler, mainly because WG seem to have forgotten what ship has the longest recorded hit in naval warfare but we will ignore that. She excels in getting close up and dishing out very large amounts of hurt at close quarters, shooting down pesky airplanes at the same time. I play VERY aggressively and I don't have very many games where I survive but I take an awful lot of ships with me when I go. It's pluses are it turns fast, good HP pool, good secondaries and AA and is also ROYAL NAVY. :britain:
Downsides are main gun range, speed, and turret rotation. The thing spins in about 3 times it's own length, you'll just be waiting a while for the guns to catch up.

The Tirpz on the other hand is a bit more elegant. Good speed, nice accuracy, very difficult to hit a citadel, good secondaries, torps for any BB stupid enough to want to get close and slug it out and it seems to me to manage to last a long time in battle. You very rarely get citadel hits on you so it's really easy to manage your health, Dreadnaught is pretty easy to get on this thing. However, the caveat to all this is that it is bought and played by some of the most loving incompetent, loving risk averse, loving retard fucks going. It excels at getting to mid range and just blowing poo poo to bits but pubbies play it as a stand off device, firing at the utter limits of the guns and running at the first sign of trouble. I have no idea why, it just happens every single game, you can charge in, kill four ships, do loads of damage and then look to see your team losing by being capped out because the brave Teutonic warriors don't want to get their ship damaged.

I would play the Tirpz non stop but this happens EVERY. SINGLE. GAME.

So yes, Warspite and Tirpitz are my two favorite premiums by far and are up in my top 5 all time faves.

I agree with you on Tirpitz. She likes to brawl at mid ranges, and bullying cruisers is pretty easy. But you're so right about pubbies, scared of losing their pixels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Wasn't there a Jap cruiser at some point that had like 8 torpedo racks?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My 3x game was me driving my first battleship around in circles going 12 knots trying to figure out which bad guys wouldn't be dead before I got to them. :geno:

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I somehow managed to double citadel a Cleveland at like 19km in my New Mexico with my last turret shot. I just stared at the little hit icons in disbelief for about 5 seconds. Of course my team failed to capitalize on my incredible luck and we quickly lost.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

9k triple in People's Glorious Murmanski.

Gotta say, the flood of Tirpitz's are making my normal kamikaze Izumo tactics even more dangerous. :v:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Burt posted:

I have the Warspite and the Tirpz.

The Warspite is very much a brawler, mainly because WG seem to have forgotten what ship has the longest recorded hit in naval warfare but we will ignore that. She excels in getting close up and dishing out very large amounts of hurt at close quarters, shooting down pesky airplanes at the same time. I play VERY aggressively and I don't have very many games where I survive but I take an awful lot of ships with me when I go. It's pluses are it turns fast, good HP pool, good secondaries and AA and is also ROYAL NAVY. :britain:
Downsides are main gun range, speed, and turret rotation. The thing spins in about 3 times it's own length, you'll just be waiting a while for the guns to catch up.

The Tirpz on the other hand is a bit more elegant. Good speed, nice accuracy, very difficult to hit a citadel, good secondaries, torps for any BB stupid enough to want to get close and slug it out and it seems to me to manage to last a long time in battle. You very rarely get citadel hits on you so it's really easy to manage your health, Dreadnaught is pretty easy to get on this thing. However, the caveat to all this is that it is bought and played by some of the most loving incompetent, loving risk averse, loving retard fucks going. It excels at getting to mid range and just blowing poo poo to bits but pubbies play it as a stand off device, firing at the utter limits of the guns and running at the first sign of trouble. I have no idea why, it just happens every single game, you can charge in, kill four ships, do loads of damage and then look to see your team losing by being capped out because the brave Teutonic warriors don't want to get their ship damaged.

I would play the Tirpz non stop but this happens EVERY. SINGLE. GAME.

So yes, Warspite and Tirpitz are my two favorite premiums by far and are up in my top 5 all time faves.

I agree with you on Tirpitz. She likes to brawl at mid ranges, and bullying cruisers is pretty easy. But you're so right about pubbies, scared of losing their pixels. My last game tonight was citadeling a Zao through it's bow for over 38000 HP; that was fun.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

BadLlama posted:

Wasn't there a Jap cruiser at some point that had like 8 torpedo racks?

It was the Kitakami. It mostly sucked and pubbies always managed to tk with it, but the one game you'd just dump and kill two battleships with one volley was so, so satisfying.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Sounds right up my torpedo alley.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
tbh most battleships can be decent brawler, but with how the game currently flows (thanks pubbies) it's almost impossible to utilize battleship's sturdiness and hard hitting shells.

It was so easy for me to carry the games in New Mexico mainly because battleships at lower tiers don't have much range (and suffer from bad accuracy) so brawling is encouraged and rewards more in the end, but at higher tier battleships are accurate enough even at long range (also pubbies don't want to get torped) which just makes everyone snipe until one team falls apart through RNG roll or by capture points. I've had many games in Tier 8+ in which games ended only after 20 minutes because nobody was actively engaging so it was just down to whichever destroyers were brave enough to cap.

Overall pubbies are too afraid of losing their internet pixel ships that almost all of them just sit and 'snipe' which makes the game too boring, hence why I feel disgusted and don't want to play after couple of games.

e: Every time I use terrain to get inside 15 km in NC/Tirpitz, pubbies in battleships just turn around and run while shooting HE with 1 or 2 turrets. I'd understand if they were playing cruisers, but it seems they absolutely hate getting hit at all cost.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 18, 2015

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

pubbies.png.jpg :jiggled:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Say the brown sea rejects, in the middle of a page talking about just how good the Cleveland is

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Say the brown sea rejects, in the middle of a page talking about just how good the Cleveland is

:ironicat:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

The co-op bots focus on shooting the first thing that comes into range. Try waiting for them to shoot a teammate before you get close enough for them to shoot you.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

NTRabbit posted:

Cleveland good, you bad. I bet you bought Tirpitz.

EDIT: Just looked at the premium ships page and they raised the price on the Murmansk.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
NTR has a point tough, everyone here keeps going on about how awesome the Cleveland and Omaha are, but as soon as someone questions if they are too good (which they are) everyone gets all defensive. I get why, playing a Cleveland is more fun than playing a slow vulnerable battleship, you have more influence on the game and generally get to enjoy yourself. It's still bad for the game and even worse for those lovely ranked matches.

HE dpm needs to be tuned down a lot.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Omahas are hardly ever a problem when I'm in a BB. They're fragile and easily blown apart.

The only problem with the Cleveland is its tiny pair of citadels. If Clevelands could be citadeled more consistently they'd come in line right away.

Seriously, though, if Omahas are loving up your BB you are really bad at BBing.

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
Whats the Diana for? Haven't played in awhile.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Luitpold posted:

Whats the Diana for? Haven't played in awhile.

The what?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Night10194 posted:

Omahas are hardly ever a problem when I'm in a BB. They're fragile and easily blown apart.

The only problem with the Cleveland is its tiny pair of citadels. If Clevelands could be citadeled more consistently they'd come in line right away.

No, that's not the only problem with the Cleveland. It's over performing in Damage Output, how well it bounces shots from higher calibre rounds, and has pretty slick AA to boot. It literally has nothing bad going for it other than not having a BB HP pool. I've bounced 12inch AP rounds in the Cleveland, rounds that at best should have go right through my ship. Part of the problem factors into just how much HE is over performing.

Not that I want to be agreeing with anything NTRabbit has to say. :shobon:

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Tahirovic posted:

NTR has a point tough, everyone here keeps going on about how awesome the Cleveland and Omaha are, but as soon as someone questions if they are too good (which they are) everyone gets all defensive. I get why, playing a Cleveland is more fun than playing a slow vulnerable battleship, you have more influence on the game and generally get to enjoy yourself. It's still bad for the game and even worse for those lovely ranked matches.

HE dpm needs to be tuned down a lot.

The Omaha isn't that bad. It dies when it gets shot at, which is what happens to cruisers. The Cleveland is a bit less so, with its wonky citadels and actual armor. I would not shed a tear if it saw nerfs.
But that's not the point. The Cleveland is probably too good for what it is, true, but its not the end of the world. The game doesn't revolve around the Cleveland, because it still can get killed, especially by ships like the Aoba, New Mexico, and Fuso. It also lacks the same maneuver speed as the Omaha, increasing its vulnerability to torpedoes a slight bit.

Its a strong ship, but there are plenty of strong ships, and its not to the level NTRabbit makes it out to be. As stated before, the only truly extraodinary thing about the ship statistically is its play rate, nothing more. It remains outclassed in both win rate and damage output by the T6 carriers.

And don't get me started on carriers (actually they're not as annoying with the changes, especially the ninja buff to DDs by removing their damage amplification from midsection hits, which means a midsection TB hit isn't a one-shot now, plus even more arming distance on torps!).

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I've been playing both NC and Tirpitz but I have to say Tirpitz is much better as long as there're no CVs around. 15 inch's penetration and damage seems to be non-issue, projectile speed is faster, armour is thicker, hit point is higher, speed is faster and turret turns faster. From my experience fighting at varying range with both ships against each other, it was easier to use Tirpitz because it can afford to take hits when NC can't.

Another factor is that Tirpitz can control the flow of fight. Having torp means NC will have to turn to avoid getting wrecked at close range which exposes broadside doing so, and Tirpitz can use its speed to control the range of engagement while NC has limited option of trying to stay at range and hopefully hit through deck (not easy) or try to get close and aim for citadel but not too close to get hit by torpedo.

NC does have better AA and slightly better Concealment, but if a CV decides that NC have to die then there's nothing it can do even with AA skills/upgrade. It's just that with NC it'll take maybe two waves of bombers to get destroyed instead of one.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hazdoc posted:

The Omaha isn't that bad. It dies when it gets shot at, which is what happens to cruisers. The Cleveland is a bit less so, with its wonky citadels and actual armor. I would not shed a tear if it saw nerfs.
But that's not the point. The Cleveland is probably too good for what it is, true, but its not the end of the world. The game doesn't revolve around the Cleveland, because it still can get killed, especially by ships like the Aoba, New Mexico, and Fuso. It also lacks the same maneuver speed as the Omaha, increasing its vulnerability to torpedoes a slight bit.

Its a strong ship, but there are plenty of strong ships, and its not to the level NTRabbit makes it out to be. As stated before, the only truly extraodinary thing about the ship statistically is its play rate, nothing more. It remains outclassed in both win rate and damage output by the T6 carriers.

And don't get me started on carriers (actually they're not as annoying with the changes, especially the ninja buff to DDs by removing their damage amplification from midsection hits, which means a midsection TB hit isn't a one-shot now, plus even more arming distance on torps!).

Everything is outclassed by Carriers though and comparing one ship (Cleveland) that is definitely overtuned in performance across multiple metrics to an entire category of ships that are overtuned in performance is silly.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I had a fun game in my Kuma last night, where I dueled another Kuma. I was shooting AP, he was shooting HE. I think it took only three salvos to kill him, one of them had three citadels.

I haven't gotten to the Cleveland yet in Open Beta. The Omaha is a fun ship, strong for its tier, but I don't think overpowered. Cruisers are a lot more fun than BB's, at least at lower tiers. St. Louis is far more fun than the Kawachi or South Carolina, both of which suck terribly. Phoenix and Kuma are more fun than a Wyoming or Myogi, but the Tier IV BB's are at least barely tolerable. My memory from CBT is that the Kongo is a fun ship to play, not sure if I made it to the New York before everything got wiped.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MoraleHazard posted:

I had a fun game in my Kuma last night, where I dueled another Kuma. I was shooting AP, he was shooting HE. I think it took only three salvos to kill him, one of them had three citadels.

I haven't gotten to the Cleveland yet in Open Beta. The Omaha is a fun ship, strong for its tier, but I don't think overpowered. Cruisers are a lot more fun than BB's, at least at lower tiers. St. Louis is far more fun than the Kawachi or South Carolina, both of which suck terribly. Phoenix and Kuma are more fun than a Wyoming or Myogi, but the Tier IV BB's are at least barely tolerable. My memory from CBT is that the Kongo is a fun ship to play, not sure if I made it to the New York before everything got wiped.

The Omaha is a well balanced ship. It's fast, manoeuvrable and can put a lot of hurt down range even when driving head on, but it can also get citadeled from the front or really any angle very easily.

I laugh at anything that is not firing AP when I'm in a cruiser. I was duelling an Omaha who was firing HE and I made fun of him for it. I got 4 citadels on him leaving him with a sliver of health and his last volley before he ducked behind an island was AP which detonated a magazine. I guess he had the last laugh :mad:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Night10194 posted:

Took my Kongo out, found a terrible pubbie Omaha who just drove towards me at an oblique angle in a straight line, after coming around an island at 14km. My first salvo did 3k damage, my second salvo got me a devastating strike medal, pretty easy kill - except that in that period of time, HE and fire damage from the Omaha, who could at least shoot straight even if he couldn't sail, took away a little over 2/3 of my Kongo's HP, and I was only able to repair back a tiny portion of that.

That's the problem with them.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
HE Fire needs to be a static amount of damage/tick/location on fire and not %HP based.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
To me it goes back to the old argument that cruiser shouldn't be a real threat to battleships because 3 other ship classes already are. So a drastic nerf to HE/fires to get cruisers to focus on more viable targets/roles is not a bad thing. I agree that it's most extreme at tier6 (but not just the Cleveland) and gets better at higher tiers but it's far from fine.

I would believe it was balanced if everyone would stop posting those screenshots of their silly cruiser games and if I wouldn't have the most hilarious games in cruisers myself, while getting more and more frustrated playing my battleships.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Tahirovic posted:

To me it goes back to the old argument that cruiser shouldn't be a real threat to battleships because 3 other ship classes already are. So a drastic nerf to HE/fires to get cruisers to focus on more viable targets/roles is not a bad thing. I agree that it's most extreme at tier6 (but not just the Cleveland) and gets better at higher tiers but it's far from fine.

I would believe it was balanced if everyone would stop posting those screenshots of their silly cruiser games and if I wouldn't have the most hilarious games in cruisers myself, while getting more and more frustrated playing my battleships.

I'm done with BBs completely until something is done about HE spam and TBs being able to manually drop on me at point blank range from the 4 Cardinal directions because the enemy CVs decided to team up and gently caress all the BBs and our own CVs fighters are loving off somewhere dying to CA AAA.

Nothing is less fun than playing a game of "never get to shoot anyone because I'm too busy trying to throw off the 2 TBs following me and none of my cruiser allies that went speeding off at match start will get close to me to murder them".

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Main problem is that all other ship classes are lot easier to play and more forgiving for mistakes made compared to battleships, which brings the problem of pubbies in battleships just sniping from long range hoping for a hit because that's lot more easier than pushing the battleship forward and risking getting absolutely wrecked by HE spam, point blank TB or perma-invisible destroyers.

e: Simply put, risking with battleship only gets you killed whereas risking with other classes gets you more xp.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 18, 2015

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I went on this morning and was pleasantly surprised to find out that they didn't wipe us all back to nothing one they released the full game.

Also, cruisers rule and anyone tooling around in BBs at max range is missing out on all of the fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I went on this morning and was pleasantly surprised to find out that they didn't wipe us all back to nothing one they released the full game.

Also, cruisers rule and anyone tooling around in BBs at max range is missing out on all of the fun.

While the second half of this is true, it's true because it's so much more fun to be charging in, angling hard against other BBs' fire, then turning just enough to get guns in to citadel them at close range before moving on to the next fight.

BBrawling is the most fun way to play them and the most effective, or would be if you could get the pubs to follow you.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
^ e: that's the problem. the second you try it every single DD and jap CA on the map is going to fall over themselves to torp you to the point where the other BB you're trying to fight is always a secondary threat (also because most of them are bad and fire HE)

on top of that getting to the Having Fun range (close enough to use secondaries) will almost always put you at high risk of eating torpedoes. Otoh if you survive getting burned out by a cruiser or two and can live for ~2-3 minutes after first getting lit you'll probably live to repair most of the damage they deal.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The torpedoes on the Omaha are one of the things you definitely have to worry about if he gets close enough. Same for the Kuma, the Taco, and Basically Everything Japanese.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Aesis posted:

Main problem is that all other ship classes are lot easier to play and more forgiving for mistakes made compared to battleships, which brings the problem of pubbies in battleships just sniping from long range hoping for a hit because that's lot more easier than pushing the battleship forward and risking getting absolutely wrecked by HE spam, point blank TB or perma-invisible destroyers.

e: Simply put, risking with battleship only gets you killed whereas risking with other classes gets you more xp.

I've done a lot of runs as a stealth destroyer, and at the ranges needed to stay hidden even the most basic evasive maneuvers will get you out danger.

Realizing that you need to keep evading, or back off so that your escorts can screen for you, or not sail close to obvious ambush points, or just not boat in straight lines for extended periods of time, is beyond most pubbies.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

NTRabbit posted:

Took my Kongo out, found a terrible pubbie Omaha who just drove towards me at an oblique angle in a straight line, after coming around an island at 14km. My first salvo did 3k damage, my second salvo got me a devastating strike medal, pretty easy kill - except that in that period of time, HE and fire damage from the Omaha, who could at least shoot straight even if he couldn't sail, took away a little over 2/3 of my Kongo's HP, and I was only able to repair back a tiny portion of that.

That's the problem with them.

No, it didn't. Even if an Omaha did that much damage in 30 seconds (unlikely, even if you being NTRabbit didn't use your damage control team properly) it would be almost entirely repairable. If the Omaha had done all of the damage in HE shell damage you could still repair half of it.
It's nice that you can make poo poo up to support your dumb opinions, but at least make sure the poo poo you're making up is mathematically possible.

There is also a relatively simple way to minimize HE/fire damage to the point that it cannot sink your ship, but even if I describe it it is probably beyond NTRabbit's capabilities since he loses co-op games.

In any case, battleships are better at fighting than equal tier cruisers and destroyers. This is true of every battleship in the game except the tier 3s, Myogi, and Colorado (New York is also very close), and is supported by actual data. Please do not claim that cruisers deal damage as well or better than battleships, unless you have a good explanation of why you are right and average figures over several million games are not.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'll nth the sentiment that BB brawling is a lot of godamn fun. It's really satisfying to hear rounds breaking off your belt armour and when all your secondaries are going off :black101: . Not so much fun when 3 cruisers at / around 15KM burn you down with HE fire, or you get point blank torped + set on fire :(

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Oh god all the low tier players buying their way into high tier with the Tirpitz, I love you. All that free XP as they havent a single clue how to play high tier. Why yes fire your HE at my cruiser.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Does the stat site reflect damage done as damage done by shells, or by shells + fire? I'm thinking it's the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

James Garfield posted:

No, it didn't. Even if an Omaha did that much damage in 30 seconds

Who said anything about 30 seconds? I said in the time frame, and it was probably about 50-55 seconds, as the Omaha rounded the island and appeared just after I'd slung a long salvo at a New ork skulking 19km away up the back. First reload, salvo, second reload, adjustment to put aim back on, fire. 2/3 HP gone to HE and fire.

James Garfield posted:

In any case, battleships are better at fighting than equal tier cruisers and destroyers. This is true of every battleship in the game except the tier 3s, Myogi, and Colorado (New York is also very close), and is supported by actual data. Please do not claim that cruisers deal damage as well or better than battleships, unless you have a good explanation of why you are right and average figures over several million games are not.

You are quite clearly not playing the same game that everyone else is, but you keep living in that little seal clubbing land where you can alternate between posting absurd cruiser game screenshots and posts about how they're totally not overperforming and overpowered, and the rest of us will hope they actually try and nerf them to balance the game out soon.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 18, 2015