Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Kavak posted:

Yeah, but that railroad lets me make every new state in the Union free, sabotage the south's defenses by making all their Soldier POPs into irregulars, and then run all over them.

There are a lot of points where the USA train could derail that would be pretty interesting:
  • The Articles of Confederation persist, and/or the confederation falls apart entirely and all the states go independent.
  • Britain wins the War of 1812 unequivocally and locks the USA out of the Midwest.
  • The Dred Scott decision brings down American federalism and the USA splinters into independent states.
  • The obligatory US Civil War which everyone covers anyways.
  • Reconstruction doesn't peter out but instead leads to Civil War II.

From about 1890 onwards it's mostly up to the rest of the world to affect the USA. The USA's rise to economic juggernaut is in large part a result of World War 1. Still, there are a lot of things that could happen external to the USA that could de-railroad the USA as well, including the establishment of an Indian Nation in the Great Lakes region strong enough to prevent further westwards expansion, an actual successful French monarchist coup in Mexico, the US being on the losing side of the Great War, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Dibujante posted:

From about 1890 onwards it's mostly up to the rest of the world to affect the USA. The USA's rise to economic juggernaut is in large part a result of World War 1. Still, there are a lot of things that could happen external to the USA that could de-railroad the USA as well, including the establishment of an Indian Nation in the Great Lakes region strong enough to prevent further westwards expansion, an actual successful French monarchist coup in Mexico, the US being on the losing side of the Great War, and so on.
How's about the Great Railroad Strike of 1877 going overboard? iirc the strike committee in St. Louis had such effective control for a little bit there that they effectively controlled all major industries in town until federal troops showed up and the strikers broke almost immediately. If you want to go a bit silly, that'd be a fun thing to play with.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

How's about the Great Railroad Strike of 1877 going overboard? iirc the strike committee in St. Louis had such effective control for a little bit there that they effectively controlled all major industries in town until federal troops showed up and the strikers broke almost immediately. If you want to go a bit silly, that'd be a fun thing to play with.

Yeah, I didn't really cover the US's labor disputes but I think they're pretty good material for a US alt-history. There was so much labour unrest in the early 1900s in the US (Ludlow Massacre anyone?) that it could be interesting for a Marxist revolution to happen somewhere in the 1890-1910 window.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Increased labor unrest results in the bonus army being a literal army.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Dibujante posted:

Yeah, I didn't really cover the US's labor disputes but I think they're pretty good material for a US alt-history. There was so much labour unrest in the early 1900s in the US (Ludlow Massacre anyone?) that it could be interesting for a Marxist revolution to happen somewhere in the 1890-1910 window.
That'd be quite fun, even just to play with what a pre-Soviet communist party coming to power would do.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ofaloaf posted:

That'd be quite fun, even just to play with what a pre-Soviet communist party coming to power would do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Commune
Probably do mostly really good poo poo until crushed militarily. Maybe even actually base their ideology off marx's writing rather than dressing a lovely dictatorship up in it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

If y'all want to read an alt-history about just this stuff, check out "Reds!" for syndiescum goodness. It's been awhile since I read it, but it was pretty great when I did.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Chief Savage Man posted:

Tokugawa Far East? :japan:

They've been really active in sphering countries far away from home and even had Sweden for a while. This is how my end-game looked sphere-wise (I am happy that I at least indirectly managed to surpass my goal of reclaiming the Ottomans' borders from when they were at their peak and that I raised literacy from 5% in 1836 to 96%).

Final rankings

Two really fun games as Austria and the Ottomans but now I think it's time for a break from Vicky 2. Especially the influence game during the last two decades has been intense.

Star fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 17, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Star posted:

Final rankings

:catstare: Nazi Russia?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The Kalmyks took over Russia and made Buddhism the state religion.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is EU 4 now at a state that it isn't broken? After every major DLC it takes a couple patches to fix things so I just want to check.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is EU 4 now at a state that it isn't broken? After every major DLC it takes a couple patches to fix things so I just want to check.

Check out the EU4 thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725024

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

EU4 generally doesn't get "broken" these days, even when there's post-expansion bugs. In any case, the current version is of a major bug-fixing patch that came a few months after the release of the latest DLC, so it's as stable as it gets.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Having a fun game as Germany in darkest hour. Did the whole 1933 start and got my industry on and my tanks out and crap. Poland and France were pushovers, and for some reason Britain hadn't built any fleet (? bug? ) so Seelöwe was easy even.

Then spent a year modernizing my army and kicked USSR right in its red mouth. Only I think I bit of more then I can chew. Apparently all my industry and cool tanks and motorized infantry made me renege on actual ground troops. So my fron was a bit thin to begin with. And now I realize that the intelligence screen says that they have 488 divisions.. I mean that is 4 times as many as I have. With my allies its maybe three times as many.

So I will have to pull off some magical encirclement to make this work.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Unless I'm mistaken, that's Nazi Russia, Japan, and Italy.

I mean, I guess two out of three of those aren't particularly ahistorical, but.

edit: No, wait, shogunate japan? What's up with that?

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 17, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The Shogunate was the old government of Japan until America sailed in, when they got ousted by a civil war. Evidently in this timeline they won.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alt history US where the Mexican Empire and the Brazilian Empire and the US are constantly fighting bush wars to control the lovely rump states in Central and South America would probably be pretty fun for a HoI game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Affi posted:

Having a fun game as Germany in darkest hour. Did the whole 1933 start and got my industry on and my tanks out and crap. Poland and France were pushovers, and for some reason Britain hadn't built any fleet (? bug? ) so Seelöwe was easy even.

Then spent a year modernizing my army and kicked USSR right in its red mouth. Only I think I bit of more then I can chew. Apparently all my industry and cool tanks and motorized infantry made me renege on actual ground troops. So my fron was a bit thin to begin with. And now I realize that the intelligence screen says that they have 488 divisions.. I mean that is 4 times as many as I have. With my allies its maybe three times as many.

So I will have to pull off some magical encirclement to make this work.

The trick is to build nothing but infantry the moment you go to war. You don't have the manpower to do it until you mobilise so you need to build the more manpower-efficient units (tanks/motorised/planes/etc) early on, but nothing wins wars like a tidal wave of infantry.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Make most of the US southwest a bunch of independent states that both US and Mexico claim are theirs so there can be actual fighting in the us

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Mexico would need some substantial buffs for that to not be a walkover, though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Everything was going really loving great until this laissez-faire party took power. Suddenly, all my subsidies are stopped, I go from like 5600 industry to 4200 in the space of a week, craftsman unemployment is pushing 50% in every state, we've got a bimonthly communist uprising, population growth halves and people start emigrating by the thousands. loving Tories man :cripes:

Managed to put the wheels back on in a couple of years because, y'know, China, but that was physically painful to watch.

Also, Germany got fat without horribly loving up Europe's borders. Don't know how, but well done Germany. Also also, something super interesting happened to the US but I have no idea what. I think I saw them lose a war... to Mexico? And then fell to a couple of major rebellions? Whatever happened, they ended up 7th in industry, behind Japan and Italy :haw:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

A china that didnt kick the brits out of asia while humiliating them, a shameful china.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

That would have required diverting some of my sweet sweet RP away from industrial tech and into land and naval, and there was no way in hell that was ever going to happen. :colbert:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

Alt history US where the Mexican Empire and the Brazilian Empire and the US are constantly fighting bush wars to control the lovely rump states in Central and South America would probably be pretty fun for a HoI game.

that alt-scenario in HoI2 of Brazil vs Argentina was awesome.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Mans posted:

First Paradox game I ever played was as Argentina in this one. Couldn't get past Sao Paulo.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mans posted:

HoI2 had some fun scenarios in general. The Fall Grün scenario was how I cut my teeth on HoI2 and it was the first one I can remember where I finally "got" the game and everything clicked for me.

Also Paradox, I've been listening to a lot of new poo poo on random via Spotify lately while playing Diablo and you guys should partner with Sabaton for HoI4 musical DLC. They even have a song called "Hearts of Iron" though I think it's a really good song musically, it's also about German armies pulling back to Berlin and the romantic portrayal of it can kinda make it awkward to listen to.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Drone posted:

Also Paradox, I've been listening to a lot of new poo poo on random via Spotify lately while playing Diablo and you guys should partner with Sabaton for HoI4 musical DLC. They even have a song called "Hearts of Iron" though I think it's a really good song musically, it's also about German armies pulling back to Berlin and the romantic portrayal of it can kinda make it awkward to listen to.

To be fair, they also have songs about all the other nations in WWII except maybe Japan? I wouldn't exactly call them Neo-nazis.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

VerdantSquire posted:

To be fair, they also have songs about all the other nations in WWII except maybe Japan? I wouldn't exactly call them Neo-nazis.

The song "Panzer Battalion" has lyrics like "driving the animals out of their holes and bury them six feet below", which, uh, yeah. Might not be the direction paradox might want to take.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Unfortunately you'll be hard-pressed to find heavy metal that isn't sorta uncomfortable to listen to. :smith:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

ArchangeI posted:

The song "Panzer Battalion" has lyrics like "driving the animals out of their holes and bury them six feet below", which, uh, yeah. Might not be the direction paradox might want to take.

I won't try to defend that poo poo, but they also put out a song that was all about how terrible the holocaust was. They don't really strike me as the type to have pin up hitler posters on their wall, even if they don't exactly have a pearly clean record.

In any case though, as much as I like heavy metal, I'm not entirely sure it'd fit into the theme of HoI. I haven't played a whole lot of the series so I can't really say I have an amazing grasp on what the music should be like, but I don't define metal as something to listen to when trying to actually plan & poo poo.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

VerdantSquire posted:

I won't try to defend that poo poo, but they also put out a song that was all about how terrible the holocaust was. They don't really strike me as the type to have pin up hitler posters on their wall, even if they don't exactly have a pearly clean record.

In any case though, as much as I like heavy metal, I'm not entirely sure it'd fit into the theme of HoI. I haven't played a whole lot of the series so I can't really say I have an amazing grasp on what the music should be like, but I don't define metal as something to listen to when trying to actually plan & poo poo.

Oh, they are very much a guilty pleasure of mine, too.

Paradox should just license all the classic songs commonly connected to WWII: Lilly Marlene, It's a long way to Tipperary, Soviet National Anthem etc.

But it's probably going to be Wagner, again

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Sabaton generally tries to tell all aspects of a story through different songs, which is why certain individual songs of theirs can make them seem slanted one way or another. They have been mistaken for Swedish nationalists on a few occasions.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Eh, didn't have any real objections to the music of HoI3 and HoI2. It would certainly be a bad choice to put heavy metal over a game where you're mostly watching numbers slowly increment and decrement.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

ArchangeI posted:

Oh, they are very much a guilty pleasure of mine, too.

Paradox should just license all the classic songs commonly connected to WWII: Lilly Marlene, It's a long way to Tipperary, Soviet National Anthem etc.

But it's probably going to be Wagner, again

Realtalk, I've had a Spotify playlist of period-specific WW2 music for years. It's goddamn great to play the game with that stuff in the background. There's also a huge playlist of contemporary radio news broadcasts throughout the entire war up on Archive.org that's great to play by too. Launch D-Day while listening to news reports about the launch of D-Day :toot:

VerdantSquire posted:

Counterpoint: EU4, set from 1400-1800, has two rock/metal music DLC's. Period-unspecific music isn't necessarily a bad thing (I mean if we want to get down to brass tacks, music as we know it today didn't really exist during CK2's timeframe either, but its soundtrack is full of post-Romantic era orchestral music).

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Gort posted:

Eh, didn't have any real objections to the music of HoI3 and HoI2. It would certainly be a bad choice to put heavy metal over a game where you're mostly watching numbers slowly increment and decrement.

No it wouldn't it'd make playing the game fun. :black101:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm always a fan of period music in games-- Victoria I, Civilization IV, Fallout: New Vegas (and the other Fallouts but I haven't played them yet). The original music in Paradox games has been very good, but I still kind of want to cobble together a playlist of 1930s-1940s pop songs to listen to while playing HoI IV-- watch hundreds of thousands of soldiers sweep across Europe while a Bing Crosby song plays.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I'm not sure about 1 and 2, but Fallout 3 has some good period-appropriate music. Billy Holiday and whatnot.

Might be good to throw into your HOI playlist. Or your East v West playlist. :downs:

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
New dev diary for HOI4 about politics, kinda sucks that it will be harder for the French to develop their doctrine.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-25th-development-diary-18th-of-september-2015.882305/

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Autonomous Monster posted:

Everything was going really loving great until this laissez-faire party took power. Suddenly, all my subsidies are stopped, I go from like 5600 industry to 4200 in the space of a week, craftsman unemployment is pushing 50% in every state, we've got a bimonthly communist uprising, population growth halves and people start emigrating by the thousands. loving Tories man :cripes:

I love how Victoria 2 manages to accurately portray what laissez-faire capitalism does to a country despite being made by a hardcore libertarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Lord Tywin posted:

New dev diary for HOI4 about politics, kinda sucks that it will be harder for the French to develop their doctrine.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-25th-development-diary-18th-of-september-2015.882305/

Glad they fixed the big issue from HoI3 in not being able to influence your own countries politics. I'm almost getting alarmed that the dev diaries seem to try to address a lot of the flaws from that game, what am I going to complain about now?

• Locked thread