Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of beloved Konami franchises, I hadn't seen this one before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ht4dbyPIcM

At this point I'd honestly not be surprised if we'll see a MGS one in a year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So you know how Konami said they'd make future Metal Gear games, just without Kojima?

Well... um. Just kidding!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-18-konami-ceases-triple-a-console-production-on-all-but-pes-report

The one thing I do wonder is if they will start licencing the Fox Engine out.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

I read about the "No Trace" bonus in missions. It seems like an instant S-rank.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Paul Zuvella posted:

The one thing I do wonder is if they will start licencing the Fox Engine out.

When you license an engine out you're kind of expected to provide support for it to your licensees and something tells me Konami isn't interested in doing that

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

lets hang out posted:

When you license an engine out you're kind of expected to provide support for it to your licensees and something tells me Konami isn't interested in doing that

I don't know too much about the laws surround this, but could they sell the entire thing to someone who would care?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I don't know too much about the laws surround this, but could they sell the entire thing to someone who would care?

Yes. If they can convince said buyers that the Fox Engine is easy to use if you aren't Konami, and that it can compete with the other common platforms like Unreal or Source or Unity or whatever, it could be an appealing acquisition.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

lets hang out posted:

I mean they could keep one team on staff for support and call it a day.

It seems unlikely, but it would be an easy lift for them to make some cash, which they are all about.

e: They also use the Fox Engine for their soccer games, which they are continuing to develop so they have to have staff on hand to support it anyway.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 18, 2015

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

Morpho, Pequod and Queequod are all names for the helicopters and not the pilots. :v:

It's the designation for the helicopter and pilot. That's why there can be more than one of each when one gets blown up. Like the president always gets air force 1. It's the plane and all the support staff.

Morpho is for BB who's out there doing whatever.
Pequod is for Venom Snake and his shenanigans.

But Morpho is a cooler name than Pequod.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So it's safe to assume that the floating kid is psycho mantis correct?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

The only way it could be more obvious is if Eli turned to look at him and went "You're a Psycho, Man! Tis true!"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

No its EVA

ImpAtom posted:

The only way it could be more obvious is if Eli turned to look at him and went "You're a Psycho, Man! Tis true!"

*Camera pans to the Third Child looking at a Mantis*
*Eli sees this and yells*
"YOU'RE A PSYCHO!!!!"

*They both turn and wink at the camera*

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 18, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Bedshaped posted:

I read about the "No Trace" bonus in missions. It seems like an instant S-rank.
It's not guaranteed but you'd need so many negative points from penalties for it not to be. The point of it is that if you never do anything that leaves a trace and still complete the mission you deserve an S no matter how much time it took you to do it, and some missions it takes quite a while to beat with No Traces.

Only problem is it seems impossible to get on every mission, notably Quiet, the oilfield mission, and a few others where it doesn't seem like you can do anything unless you violate the ruleset for "No Traces." Even CQC and kicking people unconscious violate it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Romes128 posted:

It's the designation for the helicopter and pilot. That's why there can be more than one of each when one gets blown up. Like the president always gets air force 1. It's the plane and all the support staff.

Morpho is for BB who's out there doing whatever.
Pequod is for Venom Snake and his shenanigans.

But Morpho is a cooler name than Pequod.

Morpho might not even be real. We have to accept the possibility that the entirety of Ground Zeroes has an unreliable narrator. Yes Big Boss may have done all those things, but all of Big Boss's missions, all of his memories, were inserted into Venom's mind. We know this process is less than perfect. Morpho represents Venom's dream that he saved everyone. Don't believe me?

This is the Morpho butterfly

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

So, I could probably come up with my own halfassed theory but is there any consensus as to whether or not the digital not-lensflare scanning effect means anything, and if so what?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It means you're in a video game Hideo Kojima's current favorite director is JJ Abrams.

edit: Or it was when TPP was being made. I'm sure it's George Miller now.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Snak posted:

Morpho might not even be real. We have to accept the possibility that the entirety of Ground Zeroes has an unreliable narrator. Yes Big Boss may have done all those things, but all of Big Boss's missions, all of his memories, were inserted into Venom's mind. We know this process is less than perfect. Morpho represents Venom's dream that he saved everyone. Don't believe me?
Yes, GZ and TPP are all some hosed up weirdo's bad recall of a story through his shrapnel addled mind and we never will get the story we wanted (or expected, anyway). This is the final gently caress you to the haters, Kojima style. People whined about the rambling nonsense stories for years and just wanted more gameplay, and now you see what you get. That song by Garbage in the first trailer? Directed right at those people. Go on saying you won't be manipulated and Kojima will gently caress you right in the face and laugh, then drop the mic forever.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I mean it was right there all along with "a pseudo-historical recreation" in the side ops. The fact that Eye and Finger show up in real life means Big Boss must've done some of those things back in '74/75, but he probably didn't do them at Camp Omega (otherwise you'd think they'd be aware of how he rolls when he shows up for GZ). Experiencing them as side ops in GZ was Venom experiencing them in a weird dream context. It's the best excuse ever for only having one map!

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
That actually makes a lot of sense for the different GZ scenarios. Like whatever method they used to "train" Venom Snake is the precursor to the VR training Raiden went through to prep for the Big Shell mission. It's not a perfect recreation of events, but it serves the purpose. GZ also plays into the meta that the legacy he creates in TPP belongs to the player. GZ was just a method for getting the player up to speed in how BB operates when V comes to in TPP.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nakar posted:

I mean it was right there all along with "a pseudo-historical recreation" in the side ops. The fact that Eye and Finger show up in real life means Big Boss must've done some of those things back in '74/75, but he probably didn't do them at Camp Omega (otherwise you'd think they'd be aware of how he rolls when he shows up for GZ). Experiencing them as side ops in GZ was Venom experiencing them in a weird dream context. It's the best excuse ever for only having one map!

I think the pseudo-historical thing is purely "this poo poo happened but not at camp omega but it's the only map in the game"

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Good news
https://twitter.com/ParodiSu/status/644875846067486721

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I actually like the "here's to you nicola and bart" music sequence in GZs more than any in TPP.

I might be biased though because I got to be in the theater when the GZs trailer debuted.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I actually like the "here's to you nicola and bart" music sequence in GZs more than any in TPP.
same

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's really good. I also like that Skullface doesn't have his dumb Lone Ranger mask in GZ.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
In hindsight, GZ was better presented and was a more fulfilling story experience. It really nailed a grim, oppressive atmosphere and Skull Face was a more compelling character than what he turned out to be. I'd say it is "better" than TPP in terms that I was satisfied with the product after completion (and also I only paid $7 for it so I didn't feel like I was fleeced for a short game).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
GZ did a really good job of transitioning from how loving goofy Peace Walker was to "everything is grim and horrible as gently caress" and really sold the idea that TPP was going to be really dark and catalyze Big Boss's transformation to a real villain. TPP wasn't a bad game at all, and as many people have already said, BB is already becoming a villain by the end of PW, but TPP didn't really carry the torch that GZ handed it. Well, the prologue did. The hospital escape really fit that tone, and The House of the Devil, but the rest of the game, not so much.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I might be biased though because I got to be in the theater when the GZs trailer debuted.

I'd like it a lot more if there was a significance to it. Would've been nice if Snake/Otacon got executed at the end of MGS4

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Snak posted:

GZ did a really good job of transitioning from how loving goofy Peace Walker was to "everything is grim and horrible as gently caress" and really sold the idea that TPP was going to be really dark and catalyze Big Boss's transformation to a real villain. TPP wasn't a bad game at all, and as many people have already said, BB is already becoming a villain by the end of PW, but TPP didn't really carry the torch that GZ handed it. Well, the prologue did. The hospital escape really fit that tone, and The House of the Devil, but the rest of the game, not so much.

That's pretty much how I feel. All the trailers and impressions made the game look like it was going to tell the story of how BB went from being the hero to the villain. "The missing link that completes the saga" and then...nothing really happens. You stop skull face's plans and all that, but does it even answer any glaring plot holes/questions left in the MGS story? It was an amazing game, but a not so great Metal Gear game.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Finally finished this. I was really hoping that the game would fully bridge the Big Boss/Solid Snake gap and end with you as Solid Snake infiltrating your base or something like that, but oh well.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, it was even a great Metal Gear Solid game. It just didn't fill in the part of the story I expected it to. Which is kind of par for the course of Metal Gear Solid games. The cutscenes from GZ, The Man Who Sold the World, and The House of the Devil feel like they are from a different game.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Sultan Tarquin posted:

That's pretty much how I feel. All the trailers and impressions made the game look like it was going to tell the story of how BB went from being the hero to the villain. "The missing link that completes the saga" and then...nothing really happens. You stop skull face's plans and all that, but does it even answer any glaring plot holes/questions left in the MGS story? It was an amazing game, but a not so great Metal Gear game.

It's a cliche but it seriously only makes more questions.

Most importantly: What the gently caress happened to Sahelanthropus.

(I know what happened to it, but only because we got to see a lovely, not-even-half-finished cutscene).

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Snak posted:

I mean, it was even a great Metal Gear Solid game. It just didn't fill in the part of the story I expected it to. Which is kind of par for the course of Metal Gear Solid games. The cutscenes from GZ, The Man Who Sold the World, and The House of the Devil feel like they are from a different game.

That's the only complaint I have tbh, rather than focusing on completing the story, they made an entirely new story that does very little to serve the existing timeline. Doesn't help that Kojima said this would explain why Big Boss became a villain and it was marketed as bridging the gap between 3/PW and MG1. It just pisses me off that they could have told the villain story with PW considering 3 perfectly explains why he'd become a bitter and amoral rear end in a top hat that he was supposed to be, but it just kept getting dragged on and on to the point where we'll never get that story.

MGSV would be totally okay if there was a Metal Gear Solid 6 on the horizon.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 18, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I'd like it a lot more if there was a significance to it. Would've been nice if Snake/Otacon got executed at the end of MGS4

I get where it was supposed to be but to say there's no significance other that a nod to one of Kojima's "Almost did this" ideas is selling it pretty short.

For one it foreshadows big boss's assassination via US agent, for hidden reasons other than what's officially stated. And then when you get to the end of TPP you realize it happened to two big bosses.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, Skullface in GZ and The House of the Devil felt like it was setting up BB to see what he felt was the face of true evil, and allow him to rationalize all of his actions to combat evil. Like "there is no place in the world for the weak and sympathetic. If we do not act to terminate our enemies with extreme prejudice we stand no chance against this literal face of evil". Like, they set up BB being disgusted by Les Infants Terribles and Skullface's experiments, and it would have been a natural course for BB to decide that extermination was the correct course of action rather than trying to develop a cure. BB has a hatred for the "unnatural", like Strangelove's AI of the Boss.

Given that BB has the "original" Metal Gear in MG1, they could have set up BB's support of the military industrial complex being technology based in opposition to biology-based (clones, bio weapons, parasites). BB's philosophy being that he wants to support soldiers. Soldiers use weapons. Cyborg Ninjas and Metal gears are tools for soldiers to use. Clones, parasites, and bio weapons are tools for politicians, conspirators, and ethnic cleansers to use.

All the components are there, and instead we get a silent protagonist.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

ZenVulgarity posted:

Seriously though gently caress Huey

I haven't hated a character like that in a while, good job Kojima

Also the voice actor

Ever since Metal Gear Solid have I hated Otacon, and Huey is just icing on the shitcake. One of the best things about MGS3 was not having to talk to Otacon.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Really both peace walker and phantom pain should have been combined and just been about creating outer heaven and combating zero with him as a more active force. You could even keep the skull face story line pretty much completely intact and it would work showing that basically giving crazy people free reign to be above the law with there own secret units is insanity and show this through both big boss / venom and skull face getting more desperate and destructive to the world at large.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Joan Baez's other popular song is "diamonds and rust" :tinfoil:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Joan Baez's other popular song is "diamonds and rust" :tinfoil:

Diamonds and Rust is great, but why is that :tinfoil:?

edit: Judas Priest has a cover of it, also.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Im on the boat that 1 and 3 are the best MGS games storywise because there's a defined beginning and end. The stories are self-contained and do well to create just enough vagueness to keep you interested. I wanted to know more after those games. The others feel like a madman's stream of consciousness where at the end I just sit there with an eyebrow raised. Especially 4. At least 5 has somewhat of a lead-in to MG1.

Im replaying the games and im looking forward to seeing them again without rose goggles. 3 is still incredible, but we'll see about 2 and 4...

gently caress this parasite nonsense.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sultan Tarquin posted:

We are not your kind of people.
You seem kind of phoney.
Everything's a lie.
Something in your makeup.
Don't see eye to eye.

Don't want to be like you.
Ever in our lives.
We fight when you start talking.
There's nothing but white noise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Zasze posted:

Really both peace walker and phantom pain should have been combined and just been about creating outer heaven and combating zero with him as a more active force.

Nah Peace Walker is a complete game in every way. It's a shame about the sequel.

• Locked thread