Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Dirk Pitt posted:

oh drat. I never thought about this side. heh.

is Marco going to uninstall ghostery from his PC now as well? he came out in support of them a few weeks ago.

nope, he still uses it, he just doesn't want to be associated with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

are there no free Adblockers?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

KidVanguard posted:

nope, he still uses it, he just doesn't want to be associated with it

this makes no sense. how can one still use the product but not 'wish to be associated' with it?

also, lol at Casey Liss jumping in to defend Marco.

quote:

@caseyliss: You are a selfish jerk if your answer to someone saying “I can’t handle this” is to go out of your way to tell them “I’m done with you!”

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

methinks marco should have had this epiphany in the days or weeks of development before publishing it to the App Store for $3.99 USD

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
On October 31, 2001, numerous TV companies, including the three major networks, filed a lawsuit against SONICblue, which at the time marketed the ReplayTV device. They alleged that the ReplayTV 4000 series was part of an “unlawful scheme” that “attacks the fundamental economic underpinnings of free television and basic nonbroadcast services” according to the lawsuit.

The TV industry attacked ReplayTV for two reasons:

The machines enabled people to record television programs and then watch them without commercials via the optional "Commercial Advance" feature.[6] This had the potential to undercut advertising revenues which the lawsuit called "the lifeblood of most television channels".
The machines allowed users to share programs they have recorded with others via the "Send Show" feature, which transmits digital copies of shows not only on a local network, but also over the Internet to other ReplayTV owners, thereby enabling people who had not paid for premium channels to watch premium content for free.
Both the “Commercial Advance” and the “Send Show” features were alleged to violate U.S. copyright and other federal and state laws, according to the TV industry plaintiffs, who wanted sales of the ReplayTV 4000 devices—slated for shipment on Nov. 15, 2001—stopped.[7]

The lawsuit against SONICblue was stayed when the company filed for bankruptcy protection in March 2003. In August 2003, the ReplayTV 5500 series went on sale without the “Autoskip” and “Send Show” features though the features continued to be enabled on the earlier models.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BONGHITZ posted:

well it costs money to put something on the App Store. what do you want them to do if they can't be ad supported?

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Squeezy Farm posted:

Dumbasses. DOnt they know weirdos who read iPhone App blogs know jackshit about online?

lol the verge isn't an iphone app blog

(it's a poo poo blog)

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

BONGHITZ posted:

dont worry the free market means plenty of people are willing to labor for free and will release one in due time

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

are ad blockers for ios REALLY going to be a problem? how many people are going to actually use them? this whole thing is dumb

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Puppy Galaxy posted:

how many people are going to actually use them?

well the adblockers are hitting the top of the app store charts..

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Last Chance posted:

well the adblockers are hitting the top of the app store charts..

right but what percentage of iphone users are ultimately going to buy them 6 months from now when everyone who knows/cares about it always has one? most of my coworkers aren't using ad block on their PCs

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Puppy Galaxy posted:

right but what percentage of iphone users are ultimately going to buy them 6 months from now when everyone who knows/cares about it always has one? most of my coworkers aren't using ad block on their PCs

i dont know the future what the gently caress are you asking me for

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Puppy Galaxy posted:

are ad blockers for ios REALLY going to be a problem? how many people are going to actually use them? this whole thing is dumb

alone, not really. it's just more paper cuts. mobile impressions are worth less than desktop impressions anyway

bloggers are panicking because the majority of mobile web browsing occurs on ios

either way, this is all on them. their income is based off ads, and since 2012 ads have exponentially lost value while ad blocking has exponentially become more widespread. a publisher's single ad starts making less money, so they add a second, a third, a forth, soon pages are overflowing with ads and people get fed up and block them all

the future of online ads are paid endorsements and ads that can't be distinguished from normal page content

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

1block is free with iap. the free version will block just ads, but the iap lets you block fonts and social network buttons and stuff

looks like there's some others, too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

loving retarded dumbass i hope apple punishes him and also processes my refund quickly

refund? what for? doesnt the app wrk anymore?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Triglav posted:

bloggers are panicking because the majority of mobile web browsing occurs on ios

and because iOS users generate double the revenue per install/click whatever than android users.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

iOS9:

* gently caress the terrible new spacing in the context menus. there's a huge margin around everything, buttons, icons, etc. check out the new share menu. are the corners more rounded now too? it's garbage!

* the wallet app icon is horrid. it's some google tier poo poo. it does't match the other icons at all and is basically just bad. the old one was brilliant.

* the new app switcher is pointless. it's a bit slower cause now we have to render this blur effect. it looks like my other apps are soaking in a puddle of mud. and the quick contact selector thing is gone even though i admit i never used it! it doesn't seem consistent with the safari tab selector either, which i guess it doesn't have to be but oh this blur is just overkill.

* no news app in canada? music launches in 100 countries but you can't release a glorified RSS reader outside the USA? but wait there's a "news" section on the search screen with canadian news wtf.

* something else i forget what

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that's the apple experience we've all grown to know and love

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

like if I wanted to see a bunch of empty space around my poo poo I would have got a windows phone

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BONGHITZ posted:

nope lol

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

the worst part of this is that cremnob will be happy

u bet im fuckin happy. now everyone knows what a bitch marco is

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol nilay and marco both come off looking like major bitches. i love it

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

ZShakespeare posted:

lol marco backed down because gruber bitched because the app blocked his ad network.

nah on twitter he says he tried to talk marco out of it

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

cremnob posted:

u bet im fuckin happy. now everyone knows what a bitch marco is

I'm in this camp. I was getting close to being done with podcasts in general. this makes me just give up on relay fm and atp as a whole.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Dirk Pitt posted:

I'm in this camp. I was getting close to being done with podcasts in general. this makes me just give up on relay fm and atp as a whole.

i still listen to atp cause siracusa is good and is always the voice of reason despite also being known for the most nit picky and "hypercritical"

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cant wait for marco to pivot this into a discussion/post about apple's app store policies and not facilitating refunds lol

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

iOS9:

* gently caress the terrible new spacing in the context menus. there's a huge margin around everything, buttons, icons, etc. check out the new share menu. are the corners more rounded now too? it's garbage!

* the wallet app icon is horrid. it's some google tier poo poo. it does't match the other icons at all and is basically just bad. the old one was brilliant.

* the new app switcher is pointless. it's a bit slower cause now we have to render this blur effect. it looks like my other apps are soaking in a puddle of mud. and the quick contact selector thing is gone even though i admit i never used it! it doesn't seem consistent with the safari tab selector either, which i guess it doesn't have to be but oh this blur is just overkill.

* no news app in canada? music launches in 100 countries but you can't release a glorified RSS reader outside the USA? but wait there's a "news" section on the search screen with canadian news wtf.

* something else i forget what

i mean if thats the worst complaints for the new version thats pretty good honestly

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

yeah i was gonna say complaining about ios is a bit first-world problems when so many others have no choice but to use some android shovelphone running a three year old OS

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

iOS 9 is good

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

iOS 9 is good

its bad

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Triglav posted:

yeah i was gonna say complaining about ios is a bit first-world problems when so many others have no choice but to use some android shovelphone running a three year old OS

the whole "first world problems" thing really grids my gears. i don't just say this to you but also w/r/t the marco post

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
i prefer his sexier, hair full brother; polo arment

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

the whole "first world problems" thing really grids my gears. i don't just say this to you but also w/r/t the marco post

yeah theyre still legitimate problems

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

oh they made the corner radius a bit bigger. what a travesty.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
my iphone 5s is running really slow on ios 9

timb ship the 6s

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

looks nice. i imagine they might scale it back a few degrees in ios x

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i'm gonna get me an iPhone 6s and ditch this Nexus 5 loser phone.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

i really dont like the app switcher thing. they made a thing worse.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

my 5s runs faster and better than ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

i'm gonna get me an iPhone 6s and ditch this Nexus 5 loser phone.

good choice, congrats

• Locked thread