Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Gabriel Pope posted:

Does accepting and using the gift certificates affect your legal ability to sue the deadbeat pizza place for the wages they owe you? I'd sorely be tempted to order 40 pizzas at a really inconvenient time right before quitting. Hand them out to 40 friends/family members and have them each order a single pizza right before the dinner rush on your day off.

She could probably use the gift certificates and argue distress (I was hungry and this is all I had). But let's face it, she's not getting paid no matter what she does. And if the government forced the owner to pay it'd be many months from now and she wouldn't be working there anymore. And isn't free pizza like one of the perks of working at a pizzeria? He's paying her with food she is already eating every night.

However, the owner is probably not paying the IRS and Social Security Administration in pizza certificates. So he could get fined or maybe audited for paying employees under the table. I mean, if I was an IRS agent and I heard someone got paid in pizza I'd probably look at that just because that sounds hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Krispy Kareem posted:

She could probably use the gift certificates and argue distress (I was hungry and this is all I had). But let's face it, she's not getting paid no matter what she does. And if the government forced the owner to pay it'd be many months from now and she wouldn't be working there anymore. And isn't free pizza like one of the perks of working at a pizzeria? He's paying her with food she is already eating every night.

However, the owner is probably not paying the IRS and Social Security Administration in pizza certificates. So he could get fined or maybe audited for paying employees under the table. I mean, if I was an IRS agent and I heard someone got paid in pizza I'd probably look at that just because that sounds hilarious.

A guy who makes someone work overtime and then gives them gift certificates instead of a paycheck is probably not giving them free anything. But yeah, any legal recourse is more about trying to get this fuckery shut down than actually getting money in her pocket.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
She should sue the rear end out of her employer. It would get really bad for the employer.

Besides debates on how much pizza is too much and overloading pizza places with calls, here is why it is a really, really bad idea for her to get paid in pizza.

Truck System

tl;dr Forget about the IRS and not having benefits, if your employer pays in something he himself issues you are all ways of screwed. In this case, if she simply doesn't redeem all the pizza vouchers she's essentially gifting her employer labor. And that's without getting started on the fact that she gets paid in something that won't be accepted anywhere else.

Johnny Cash famously commented on the truck system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfp2O9ADwGk

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Really guys? No, she needs to file a complaint with the department of labor because that is crazy illegal. They will get her her back pay as well as fine the employer, part of which will get paid to her eventually.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Really guys? No, she needs to file a complaint with the department of labor because that is crazy illegal. They will get her her back pay as well as fine the employer, part of which will get paid to her eventually.

Part of the fine as well? So, what you're saying is that getting paid in pizza vouchers is long-term good with money?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I'm so excited this hasn't been posted yet. The dumbest article ever written: http://elitedaily.com/life/savings-20s-something-wrong/1214445/

quote:

I don’t have any savings, but I also don’t have any wants.

I don’t know about you, but I like to enjoy my life. I like to go out to eat, buy clothes I don’t “need” and spend money with friends on memorable nights out.

This goes back to a piece of advice a very successful friend gave me: “Don’t save money. Make more money,” he nonchalantly stated, pushing me into a taxi.

Unlike most things people tell me, this advice did not go in one ear and out the other; it stayed with me and changed the way I look at everything from my career to my savings.

Before this piece of advice, I was frantic. I was always doubting and always feeling guilty. I lived in the most exciting city in the world (also the most expensive) and had yet to experience it.

I was trying to save, which meant trying not to eat. I wasn’t going out with friends, had yet to go to a club and had never seen the inside of a taxi.

I couldn’t enjoy my life because I was too busy worrying about my bank statement. I was too busy watching my savings instead of savoring my youth.

Why did I feel so guilty about spending money on myself and my life?

When did our 20s start to feel like our 40s? When did we get weighed down with the same pressure and stresses as a woman with four kids and a second mortgage?

We don’t have kids. We’ll be renting for the foreseeable future, and we have no problem eating McDonald’s when we’re skint.

I’ve recently figured it out: This pressure, this third-party stress, is ingrained within us. It’s this looming doom our parents carved into our unconscious, only to come out anytime we make an impulse purchase or have to spend the night without Netflix.

But like most things our parents have ingrained in us, we must consciously work to push it out. Because while they may have the best intentions, they don’t always have the best insight.

They want us to save because it provides us with a safety net, but that’s exactly why we shouldn’t. Their need for us to have a safety net is just a giant metaphor for the difference between our parent’s generation and ours.

They were getting married at 20 while we’re just getting our first apartments. They were saving for kids while we still want to be kids. We’re on different schedules, different paths and totally different savings plans.

We’re taking our time growing up, refusing to be shackled by mortgages and diapers. We’re not trying to live with safety nets; we’re trying to live on the edge.

When you’re too worried about your bank statement, you’re not making your own

When you live your life around your retirement fund, you may as well retire now. You can’t make a mark on the world if you’re too cheap to live in it.

Refusing to give yourself the luxury of enjoying your money negates the whole point of making it.

When you’re saving for yourself, you’re refusing to bet on yourself

People who are saving in their 20s are people who don’t set their sights high. They’ve already dropped out of the game and settled for the minor leagues.

Your 20s are not the time to save; they’re the time to gamble. $200 a month isn’t going to make the dent that a $60,000 pay raise will after spending all those nights out networking.

When you have something to bank on, you have nothing to reach for

When you have nothing to lose, you have everything to gain.

You’d be surprised at how cautious people get with just a few thousand in the bank. This isn’t the time to safeguard — it’s the time to bet all your chips and hope to make it big.

When you live your life by numbers, you strip yourself of poetry

What memorable experience does money in the bank give you? How well-rounded can people become sitting at home, watching their limited funds gain interest?

Life is to be lived, not watched from the inside of your rent-controlled apartment.

When you die, you can’t take your money with you

When you’re acutely aware of your mortality, it makes spending money that much easier. Those who don’t plan for the future aren’t planning for their death.

When you deprive yourself, you don’t learn how to TREAT YO SELF

It’s good to be cautious and plan for unexpected events. It’s also good, however, to learn how to release and destress. Everything works out, and if you’re smart, able and had a job once, you’ll have one again.

Don’t waste your youth worrying about expenses when you should be worrying about experiences.

When you care about your 401k, your life is just “k”

When you’re 40, you’re not going to look back on your 20s and be grateful for the few thousand you saved. You’re going to be full of regret.

You’ll regret the experiences you didn’t take, the people you didn’t meet and the fun you didn’t have because you were too worried about a future that came and went.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Big fan of the comments on that article. Basically just a bunch of people rushing in to pat themselves on the back (which I guess is mostly the point of this thread, too).

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

Part of the fine as well? So, what you're saying is that getting paid in pizza vouchers is long-term good with money?

No, but at least here in CA, the DoL fines employers for every day that pay checks are late/incorrect beyond the deadline and part of that fine eventually goes to the employees eventually.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

quote:

We’re taking our time growing up, refusing to be shackled by mortgages and diapers. We’re not trying to live with safety nets; we’re trying to live on the edge.

Mortgages and diapers aren't safety nets, well unless you poo poo yourself a lot. It does sound like a potential thread title. I'm sure they're living on the edge by buying beard wax and listening to a portable record player.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
That pizza story is so obviously fake.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm so excited this hasn't been posted yet. The dumbest article ever written: http://elitedaily.com/life/savings-20s-something-wrong/1214445/

This is amazing and I was expecting it to be an article from The Onion. The best part was the proverbial slap in the face to the authors parents letting them know that they are so obviously dumb and being in your twenties inherently makes you more wise than they.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Realtalk: If my wife and I didn't scrimp and save during our 20s I wouldn't have had the cushion with which I have been able to start a very successful business which now let me work my own hours and travel the world. On the flip side, I guess I missed out getting drunk at clubs.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Comrade Flynn posted:

"I don't care about money" - Someone with rich parents

And I like that "seeing the inside of a taxi" is considered luxurious.
Walking? Driving myself? Stuff, old boy! Have my man pull around his finest motorcarriage, a yellow 2006 Crown Victoria.:wotwot:

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
I can't even count the number of times I've gone to a club, stumbled home drunk, and woke up to a 5 figure raise from the girl I networked (sloppily grinded on) with.

Electrical Fire fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 18, 2015

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Comrade Flynn posted:

quote:

When you live your life around your retirement fund, you may as well retire now.

Yes please

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Lol, that article reminds me of the Sphinx from Mystery Men.

Don't waste your time owning assets, because in time the assets will own you.
Rent doesn't pay, so why bother paying rent?
Real estate is a hedge against inflation, but if you inflate your hedges, your estate will never be real.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

quote:

I was trying to save, which meant trying not to eat. I wasn’t going out with friends, had yet to go to a club and had never seen the inside of a taxi.

I wish her friend had explained a person can do this sometimes, but not all the time, and still lead a fulfilling life. For some, they will never go to a club or ride in a taxi and also feel fulfilled because people value different things.

Dispensing random, no-accountability advice to people I've met in their 20s, I've told a few people of high intelligence (and families ready to at least let them back into their old room at home should they fail) that they should just bet on themselves. This usually came up when people were debating whether or not to extend a backpacking trip another month, not questioning how to spend a decade. A person's 20s is when they're likely going to have the least amount of money in life, so why not have some fun when it's likely that you'll have a bigger cushion later? So, there's no reason to freak out that someone in their first career-job isn't putting in the full 5.5k into a roth IRA. But, unfortunately that article is so full of stupid that I would struggle to explain this nuanced approach to money to someone who enthusiastically read it and shared it on Facebook.

Edit: What's the percentage of self-congratulating people commenting in that article who fail to mention the significant amount of money their parents gave them? 100%?

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 18, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Electrical Fire posted:

I can't even count the number of times I've gone to a club, stumbled home drunk, and woke up to a 5 figure raise from the girl I networked (sloppily grinded on) with.

That part of the article amused me and you've summed it up well. I spent years at clubs and gigs having fun. I spent too much on drinking but had a blast. I still paid off my student loan and saved enough money to launch my business without borrowing. I don't think how I lived was great with money but I managed to save and party. I'm waiting for a follow up article to tell people to max out their credit cards because who cares about retirement.

e: the comment about networking just reminds me of alcoholics justifying their drinking.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 18, 2015

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

moana posted:

Real estate is a hedge against inflation, but if you inflate your hedges, your estate will never be real.

New thread title right here

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

moana posted:

Lol, that article reminds me of the Sphinx from Mystery Men.

Don't waste your time owning assets, because in time the assets will own you.
Rent doesn't pay, so why bother paying rent?

Hmmm...are you sure you don't mean The Spleen?

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

canyoneer posted:

"I don't care about money" - Someone with rich parents
Bingo! "Saving? Why don't you just ask for parents for money?"
Reminds me of this: Your Rich Friend Who Travels All the Time

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

All this "spend now, worry later" is predicated on the idea that you can only do cool, fun stuff that costs money when you're young, whereas when you're 40+ you'll be content to work-tv-sleep all day because all old people are boring and literally unable to understand the concept of fun

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I think having a safety net, along with a modest retirement plan to be both cool and fun :colbert:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

"Don't save money. Make more money."

:lol:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

"Don't save money. Make more money."

:lol:

It almost kind of makes sense in that part of your life (early 20's into your 30's) generally sees pretty good income growth as you go from lovely McJobs to real jobs out of college and start working your way up. You literally can out earn your spending habits. For awhile. Then you have kids.

Essentially it's great advice if you have no family obligations and figured out a way to stay 25 forever. So it's good advice for vampires, but only as long as they got a marketable degree and avoided student loan debt.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Not a Children posted:

All this "spend now, worry later" is predicated on the idea that you can only do cool, fun stuff that costs money when you're young, whereas when you're 40+ you'll be content to work-tv-sleep all day because all old people are boring and literally unable to understand the concept of fun

Seeing my parents in their late 40s and early 50s was actually a big wakeup call to me that that era could either be the best in my life or the worst depending on whether I make reasonable decisions now. I think I naively assumed as you got older you'd be less able/interested in adventure, but I really respect them and they are trely hitting their primes of confidence, professional achievement, and self-actualization now. I'm now one of those people that looks forward to aging, or at least doesn't fear or dislike the idea. I started to shift around 27, when I got married. Life is long and can be either lovely or awesome, and that's almost entirely up to me.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Similarly, people who tell children that childhood is the best part of their lives must have had really soulcrushing 20s themselves, and set their kids up to continue being children well into their 30s.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BossRighteous posted:

Seeing my parents in their late 40s and early 50s was actually a big wakeup call to me that that era could either be the best in my life or the worst depending on whether I make reasonable decisions now. I think I naively assumed as you got older you'd be less able/interested in adventure, but I really respect them and they are trely hitting their primes of confidence, professional achievement, and self-actualization now. I'm now one of those people that looks forward to aging, or at least doesn't fear or dislike the idea. I started to shift around 27, when I got married. Life is long and can be either lovely or awesome, and that's almost entirely up to me.

It's odd because I feel a lot older than I did when I was 20, but apparently your internal sense of aging actually stops at some point. Baring infirmity or disease - you don't necessarily feel old even if you are. At age 87 my grandmother told me she felt 50. And she was not a good 87 by any stretch (she didn't make it to 88).

So yeah, getting old isn't as bad as it seems - but it's even better when you're old and have money.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

There's a balance between living a self-imposed pauper lifestyle in the name of saving and partying at maximum YOLO levels every night. Anyone who advocates one extreme or the other is not worth listening to.

Obviously more income makes it easier (and more income should be a career goal in your 20s), but a balance can be achieved at most non-poverty income levels.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Being cash-poor is expensive as hell and you will get a lot more bang for your buck when you've got healthy savings to fall back on, even when you're expecting rapid income growth. Plus, there's more to life than overpriced drinks--if you're not saving you'll never be able to afford big ticket expenses except with credit, which will erode your spending power even more. Saved money doesn't disappear down a black hole, either. You can always blow it later when you start earning the big bucks. You literally get to have your cake and eat it too.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
From age 35 to 50, Americans save, on average, a TOTAL of $30,000 for retirement. Less than they saved from 22 to 34, less than they save from 51 to 65. lovely!

And everyone at work says "I can't save right now because I'm early in my career. I'll just save a lot more, later"

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

From age 35 to 50, Americans save, on average, a TOTAL of $30,000 for retirement. Less than they saved from 22 to 34, less than they save from 51 to 65. lovely!

And everyone at work says "I can't save right now because I'm early in my career. I'll just save a lot more, later"

Well, I guess at least I'm doing something right then.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
MORE BAD WITH MONEY, LESS DERAIL!

SMS, can we get derail bans back?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3lfz8y/how_does_one_recover_from_a_car_repossession/

quote:

Throw away for reasons, but as the title says I am very curious about how one recovers from getting their car repossessed. That happened to me yesterday morning when I woke up and did not find my car outside where it was suppose to be. I'm not going to sit here and make up excuses I got behind on my bills and was barely scraping by just to stay afloat with everything. About a year ago I recklessly bought a car I thought I could afford, which yesterday was the day I finally realized that I no longer could. My question for you guys, is how can I pick myself back up from this? I'm very stressed and cannot stop beating myself up over this and just feel like a complete disappointment. I have called my car finance company and they said that the repossession paperwork hasn't been finalized yet and I would need to call on Monday to see if they have made a decision yet (either re-instating my current loan or completely taking the car). This is the first time I have ever had anything from me repossessed. I appreciate any advice.
Thank you!

quote:

This isn't an answer for OP, but I have a similar question related to repossession (cars, houses, etc.).
Lets say you made $15,000 in payments on X item, and then it's repossessed. If you don't fight the repossession, are you reimbursed for that $15k or is it just gone and you're off the hook for the rest of the loan?

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 18, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's pretty terrifying reading about what the average mid-career American has saved for retirement. I'm 28 and have (a lot) more saved than your average 50 year old.

Social Security and Medicare are literally going to keep most retirement-aged people out of poverty (exactly what they were designed for), and yet the average American rails against SS/Medicare as a government scam. At least until they are eligible for the programs, and then it's "keep your government hands off my SS/Medicare..." So much irony it hurts.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good BWM-endorsed retirement calculators out there? The compounding interest part makes it difficult to do back of the napkin estimates and the online calculators I've seen leave a lot to be desired.

The retirement calculator at CNN Monday thinks I'm falling short. Okay, so how much do I need? $4.8 million. Hmmm, I think the algorithm is a little off.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Are there any good BWM-endorsed retirement calculators out there? The compounding interest part makes it difficult to do back of the napkin estimates and the online calculators I've seen leave a lot to be desired.

The retirement calculator at CNN Monday thinks I'm falling short. Okay, so how much do I need? $4.8 million. Hmmm, I think the algorithm is a little off.

That's probably a decent estimate depending on how old you are now. If you are retiring say 30 years from now, $4.8M is like $2M of today's dollars assuming 3% inflation.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

http://www.firecalc.com/

Not the prettiest, but one of the most powerful and informative. It back-tests your expenses vs. assets against historical time periods and gives you a rough idea of whether you'd have gone broke or not. Obviously past performance doesn't guarantee anything about the future, but it's an okay indicator for this sort of thing.

The big flaw that a lot of people make when calculating their "number" for retirement is that in retirement you need enough income to replace your expenses, not your whole income. If you make 100k/yr and save 40% of your income, then you'd only need to have ~60k/yr in income from your retirement assets, not 100k/yr.

That's a bit of a simplification that overlooks inflation, taxes, different lifestyles, etc. but hopefully you get the gist of it.

But even $4.8M doesn't sound out of this world if you're looking 25-30 years out and live in an higher COL urban area. Inflation is a bitch.

Just looked up how the CNN Money calculator works:

quote:

First, we determine what your income will be at the time you retire by growing your current income at an annual rate of 3.8% (the inflation rate of 2.3%, plus the salary growth rate of 1.5%). We then assume you can live comfortably off of 85% of your pre-retirement income. So if you earn $100,000 the year you retire, we estimate you will need $85,000 during the first year of retirement. For each subsequent year, we increase your income need by 2.3% to keep up with inflation. We then factor in Social Security by subtracting your estimated benefits (more on that below) since that income will reduce the amount you will need to save.

Assuming 85% of today's income as retirement expenses sounds REALLY high, but I guess if you're the average American saving 15% or less of your income then maybe it's not too far off. Also assuming 3.8% annual income growth sounds too generous for the average American.

The whole CNN calculator seems to be making some really bad assumptions and focusing on the wrong numbers. They're focusing way too much on the income side of the equation, when the important number is the expenses side.

If you have a savings rate more in the 30-50% range like a good BFCer then that magic retirement number is going to shrink considerably.

To discuss further you might want to head on over to the Long-Term Investing and Retirement Savings thread.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 18, 2015

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

I just checked it out. It doesn't let you put your savings rate above 25%. :lol:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Rurutia posted:

I just checked it out. It doesn't let you put your savings rate above 25%. :lol:

:911:

(that's terrible)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

I dunno if you ask me this thread is more entertaining when it's full of derails rather than just being a Reddit r/pf reposting station

• Locked thread