Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best K-On?
This poll is closed.
Mio 26 18.18%
Yui 21 14.69%
Ritsu 30 20.98%
Azusa 17 11.89%
Mugi 49 34.27%
Total: 143 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Erg posted:

Binbougami ga was so good

did the anime get all the way to the end?

No

Binbougami ga is really good though ye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_BWTMlIIQk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009

Erg posted:

Binbougami ga was so good

did the anime get all the way to the end?

Nah, it left off some time before the story became more shounen and introduced more item gods.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

There's an impressive level of detail to it that would be hard as hell to imitate cheaply, so the anime played up the campiness.

The 80s movie looks real good though, and is more violent than the tv show

What about the 90s movie?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

lesbian baphomet posted:

1) is it as funny as the show

2) do you want to play more Mon Hun today, perhaps now or later

funnier

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the hosed up part about the plastic nee san manga is the fact that nee-san had a boyfriend.

also apparently those twins are her sisters

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

All of the Fist of the North Star retcons over time have gotten real weird, especially with how a lot of the side materials and updated movies treat Raoh as this incredibly tragic villain who was trying to do the right thing.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

lol

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
also hi anime chat thread, don't post here as often as I used to

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hnk's timeskip was fine up until freddie mercury died

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Stairmaster posted:

the terrible dark secret is that nobody is ever drawn with their mouth open

You motherfucker

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Davincie posted:

the hosed up part about the plastic nee san manga is the fact that nee-san had a boyfriend.

also apparently those twins are her sisters

wht the gently caress.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lesbian baphomet posted:

1) is it as funny as the show

2) do you want to play more Mon Hun today, perhaps now or later
its better
and yes, but later. working now + I gotta replenish my hanting supplies

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

hnk's timeskip was fine up until freddie mercury died

That is true, I found the initial stuff a bit underwhelming but not terrible, and then the arc where Kenshiro went to that island felt like it was meant for a totally different manga.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Srice posted:

All of the Fist of the North Star retcons over time have gotten real weird, especially with how a lot of the side materials and updated movies treat Raoh as this incredibly tragic villain who was trying to do the right thing.

I actually think those portrayals of him (and basically everything except Fist of the North Star 2's Land of Asura nonsense) make a fair bit of sense. The majority of the retcons are just the series canon retconing its earlier retcons over and over again until only original canon and a few side stories remain.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kleptobot posted:

also hi anime chat thread, don't post here as often as I used to

Hi! Whether you post little or a lot you are always welcome here, in the anime chat thread.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Misappropriation Investigator is still the only thing from the hnk guy I've read.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I also enjoyed the manga only chapters

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
What about the HnK prequel set in 1920s Shanghai? Was that ever popular?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Terper posted:

No

Binbougami ga is really good though ye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_BWTMlIIQk

Oh my gosh the related videos had the english dub and it sounds like they just pitched up some male voices with a chipmunk thing

it kind of owns

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I do not post much but I lurk a lot Thanks for reading.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

except for that first arc with the jewish guy and not-bane

Kleptobot posted:

What about the HnK prequel set in 1920s Shanghai? Was that ever popular?

it goes downhill after hugh jackman breaks kenshiros arm because that is the maximum extent of injuries he suffers fighting bad guys series-wide

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Andarel posted:

I actually think those portrayals of him (and basically everything except Fist of the North Star 2's Land of Asura nonsense) make a fair bit of sense. The majority of the retcons are just the series canon retconing its earlier retcons over and over again until only original canon and a few side stories remain.

I suppose what I mean is it feels weird in how they've been doing that to a guy who did a lot of really horrible things.

It does make sense though, a lot of writers like to do that stuff to villains they really like and I can't blame 'em for that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Erg posted:

Oh my gosh the related videos had the english dub and it sounds like they just pitched up some male voices with a chipmunk thing

it kind of owns

I believe that is just the youtube uploader to avoid getting taken down

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Terper posted:

I believe that is just the youtube uploader to avoid getting taken down

awww

dreams of weird joke dub crushed :(

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

:mrgw:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Edogawa Jin rules. He pretty much spends every appearance with the main character telling him how much he loves his crazy, terrible plans.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I still need to finish this.

I wandered off after the death of Raoh.

its all down hill after that anyway. it gets really buronsony afterwards. it's not bad or anything, but like, emotionally, just wasn't feeling it like the first half.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Srice posted:

I suppose what I mean is it feels weird in how they've been doing that to a guy who did a lot of really horrible things.

It does make sense though, a lot of writers like to do that stuff to villains they really like and I can't blame 'em for that.

I'm more surprised that they tried to make Jagi sympathetic because his entire plot relevance is that he's a horrible rear end in a top hat who also happens to be weak and get curbstomped by Kenshiro. The reason I like HnK so much is that it's this horrible postapocalyptic wasteland and everyone who legitimately tries to make the world better - Kenshiro, Raoh, Souther, Toki, any of the Nanto generals - succeeds a little bit and fails a lot. Kenshiro helps people but it's scattershot and lovely so it's always barely holding together unless the people step up their game ASAP, Raoh brings strong order and actually helps people get their lives on track but he's got a horrible command structure and tends to only help those who are drawn to his power and fear which means lots of nefarious bikers, Souther builds a completely reasonable empire but ends up being even more scumbag than Raoh because he's so self-obsessed and doesn't care about his minions at all, and Toki just wants to help people and doesn't really care about the big picture (and actually really wants to stay out of it for various plot reasons).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lets do a simulread of cyber blue

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Srice posted:

buronson does this constantly in his yakuza/crime drama manga.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Srice posted:

I haven't dug too much into the side stuff (other than the Jagi gaiden which I wasn't too fond of), but I felt Raoh was a reasonably tragic figure in the core series. Not justified, I don't think, but I could understand how his thought process led him to do the terrible things he did, and how those choices led to his undoing.

I think it's possible to provide insight into a horrible character's motives and means without justifying their actions or condoning their beliefs. That said, again, I haven't gotten into the spin-off stuff, so for all I know they turn him into the Saint of Fists.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

for some reason the animated version of plastic nee-san gave me the impression that the main girls were, themselves, plastic. but the manga is giving me the impression that they're just human girls who like to build models and wear models on their heads?? this is kinda hosed up

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I like how that one movie did the opposite for Souther though, making him even more evil and unrepentant than he was in the series.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

lesbian baphomet posted:

for some reason the animated version of plastic nee-san gave me the impression that the main girls were, themselves, plastic.

What?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

the best part from HnK after the timeskip is when the one dude sets off the atomic bomb by headbutting it. it's up there with the brothers who died holding up the massive stone slab while also being beaten to death so kenshiro could exit the prison.

of course this is not counting all of the really good fights. Most of which include raoh

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

combination of the show name+the style of slapstick violence+the way that they were all kinda retarded and didnt know how the world worked

also because they always had the models hats on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

England won

• Locked thread