Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't think all web content could or should be monetised, but if I had to pay a few cents for a John Siracusa (RIP, professionally at least) review of OS X, I wouldn't think twice about it. The web has effectively killed good journalism because it's all about speed, and most articles online are full of errors and not worth the time reading because good writing doesn't equate to income. The only way sites can make money is to piss the user off, because the only ads that pay anything worthwhile are the ones that gently caress people over the most.

John already sells his reviews as a eBook and Ars has an ad-free premium website subscription. The options are already there but advertising still drives the web.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I spent forever researching and reading about the different content blockers, decided on Peace, and then was face to face with the reality that they don't work on a 5. Well, just another reason to upgrade soon!

geera
May 20, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

I spent forever researching and reading about the different content blockers, decided on Peace, and then was face to face with the reality that they don't work on a 5. Well, just another reason to upgrade soon!
Don't run out and upgrade just to get Peace. It was pulled from the app store today.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

maduin posted:

I have so much free space in OneDrive and Google Drive but I still pay for Dropbox because 1) I'm an idiot and 2) It's everywhere, works great, and has never lost a file in the many years I've used it. I have Arq backing up 3 different computers to it now, just because I have the space, and run basically my entire life from it.

I’m locked into using drive for a program I have no choice but to use for the forseeable future. Otherwise, I’d just go with Dropbox and be happy.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

geera posted:

Don't run out and upgrade just to get Peace. It was pulled from the app store today.

Big Ad got to Marco and made him recant his ad-blocking ways! :tinfoil:

Ok, I understand "it should be more nuanced" and agree but Marco's not willing to update his app to provide that nuance?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

geera posted:

Okay well uh that sucks. Really weird reasoning too but that's up to him.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I bought purify since it's made by the ublock guy.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm not saying it's necessarily the best way to go and obviously not for sites like Imgur, but if you're a fan of a specific newspaper or magazine but only read it occasionally - or only the editorials by a certain person, I think a tiny, tiny payment on the stuff you want to read is easier to swallow than £8 a month on something you might not even look at. It's a model that could potentially work for some websites and audiences, the tough bit is making sure it's convenient and cheap enough for the user to not care about such a small amount of time or money invested in the payment process.

Like, if you could tie Apple Pay into something like Flattr or Patreon or even just a quick PayPal donation, I like to occasionally chuck a donation in the direction of some of the free podcasts I listen to.

Google has Google Contributor (only available in the US in limited beta) where you play X amount a month to opt out of Google ads and the money paid gets distributed to those sites showing Google ads. Not sure if you can fine tune it to just pay the sites one likes, but its an interesting experiment.

Google would win because it pushes more people to the Google ad platform in order to get part of the Contributor bucks, content creators win cause they get paid even though the ads are blocked. The end user gets to feel....good about themselves? :shrug:

Ironically, I find google ads to be the least intrusive of the web-advertising out there, so I wouldn't see myself paying for it. I run ad blockers just cause I can and hate advertising. Not a popular opinion with content creators but here we are.

I'd be really curious to see the stats that come out of this.

EDIT: What could come out of this is a nightmarish web dystopia where advertisers make the ads so huge, obnoxious and intrusive but for 50 bucks a month you can go ad-free! :v:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 18, 2015

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

geera posted:

Ugh. I didn’t even want Peace but something about that post of Marco’s feels wrong in a way that his posts yesterday didn’t evoke. I’m not against any of his stated sentiments, so maybe it’s just residual over his lack of want to make the overcast webplayer any better.

fordan posted:

Ok, I understand "it should be more nuanced" and agree but Marco's not willing to update his app to provide that nuance?

Yeah, this feels like it. He knows his lack of followthrough after shipping and were he having these moral qualms he should’ve had them before releasing the product. From the outside watching the discussion unfold, it appears Gruber was an influence in his change of heart and those two communicate enough to have had this conversation before affecting others.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

geera posted:

I think he pulled the blocklist (which he hosts himself) too because I noticed it was no longer blocking ads this morning. Even if you downloaded it in the last 2 days it no longer works at all.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Now that the iCloud prices are a bit more reasonable. I wouldn't mind having all my pictures in a centralized location. Previously, I've been connecting my iPhone to my computer and manually dragging the pictures into my Google Drive account. What is the best way to get my Google Drive pictures into my iCloud or iPhone at this point?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I think he pulled the blocklist (which he hosts himself) too because I noticed it was no longer blocking ads this morning. Even if you downloaded it in the last 2 days it no longer works at all.

This might be Ghostery pulling database access, since I think he was licensing theirs.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Yeah, the moral quandary about Peace is ridiculous. It isn't as though this is different from any other ad blocker on other platforms.

He "enjoyed none of it" my rear end - his last 3 days on Twitter were like a gleeful child as people bought it up the charts.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

wolffenstein posted:

I bought purify since it's made by the ublock guy.

It's made the current maintainer of uBlock, who seems to be a douchecanoe who cannibalized the extension by asking for money.

glassyalabolas fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 18, 2015

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Yeah, the current uBlock guy is a shithead, I thought. I'm going to just use Crystal and wait for this poo poo to sort itself out in a few months and then buy the best one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Content blockers are not exactly a complex app either. It's just a JSON file of what to block with an app wrapper around it. I wouldn't be surprised if a good free one comes out.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Housh posted:

Folks using 5s are they happy with their upgrade to iOS9? I'm kinda scurred to upgrade that my battery life will go even further to poop.

Control Center drops frames during its animation, and the animation for Safari's address bar field has a weird shadow. The phone went unresponsive and re-sprung while looking at wallpapers. I'm looking forward to 9.1...

Awful.app drops frames on the thread index, but not the threads themselves, so other third-party apps may have issues too.

Battery life seems the same.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Snuffman posted:

Like the new music app, whatever's playing appears as a bar across the bottom of the screen, just above unplayed/my podcasts/search...etc.

Weird at first but I got used to it.

Thanks for the response. I meant more along the lines of closing podcast.app and then coming in to resume it later. There used to be a 'now playing' that would resume the last podcast, its gone now so I have to delve into the list of podcasts and find the episode.

Meanwhile i could be doing something worthwhile like posting on sa

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

obi_ant posted:

Now that the iCloud prices are a bit more reasonable. I wouldn't mind having all my pictures in a centralized location. Previously, I've been connecting my iPhone to my computer and manually dragging the pictures into my Google Drive account. What is the best way to get my Google Drive pictures into my iCloud or iPhone at this point?

Does the Google photos app work both ways? if so you might just be able to set it download your pics into the icloud folder on a mac

e: sorry for the double post there

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 18, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

glassyalabolas posted:

It's made the current maintainer of uBlock, who seems to be a douchecanoe who cannibalized the extension by asking for money.

Chris helped the original program in commits and he completed the desktop Safari port. The original creator got tired of support and transferred ownership to Chris. Chris put the extension on his website and added a donate button. The original creator was strictly against this and threw a fit and forked it. It's really blown out of proportion and asking for help in development costs isn't out of the ordinary.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Kaizoku posted:

Ugh. I didn’t even want Peace but something about that post of Marco’s feels wrong in a way that his posts yesterday didn’t evoke. I’m not against any of his stated sentiments, so maybe it’s just residual over his lack of want to make the overcast webplayer any better.

Yeah, this feels like it. He knows his lack of followthrough after shipping and were he having these moral qualms he should’ve had them before releasing the product. From the outside watching the discussion unfold, it appears Gruber was an influence in his change of heart and those two communicate enough to have had this conversation before affecting others.

Him and Gruber both use the same advertisement network and from what I hear and see they're actually one of the "good" ones that vet their banners and all that poo poo. Gruber tweeted about how blocking their network was morally indefensible or something and I guess got to him. Meh, I was really excited to use Peace next week cause ghostery is amazing but oh well.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Guess I'll be requesting a refund when the order finally "processes". Not handing $3 over for a day of use. Dude could have at least done a solid and setup some sort of auto refund.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Endless Mike posted:

I didn't realize people actually used the default podcast app.

It is the only podcast app that perfectly meets my habits (syncing across several different apple devices, including a shuffle, and my computer, with support for manually added files, and free) but those are my own failings.

It does continually update and generally ends up at a decent spot after a few months, before they break it again in the next iOS release.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Guess I'll be requesting a refund when the order finally "processes". Not handing $3 over for a day of use. Dude could have at least done a solid and setup some sort of auto refund.

You can request the refund from the website before the purchase processes.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

FCKGW posted:

You can request the refund from the website before the purchase processes.

Any instruction on it? All I've seen is via iTunes and theres nothing there for me to select yet for a refund.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

There are a bunch of stupid loving garbage articles on the web. We'd be better off if some of these assholes died.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Boris Galerkin posted:

Him and Gruber both use the same advertisement network and from what I hear and see they're actually one of the "good" ones that vet their banners and all that poo poo. Gruber tweeted about how blocking their network was morally indefensible or something and I guess got to him. Meh, I was really excited to use Peace next week cause ghostery is amazing but oh well.

Gruber claims on twitter that he tried to talk Marco out of pulling the plug. Probably arguing to put in more fine grained controls, but Marco wanted to step away from a lot of money for whatever reason. Or maybe something was bad with his Ghostery agreement as maduin suggested.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Any instruction on it? All I've seen is via iTunes and theres nothing there for me to select yet for a refund.

http://www.imore.com/how-to-get-refund-itunes-app-store

Follow the directions for "How to get a refund using the web" if iTunes doesn't see it as paid for transaction yet.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

mAlfunkti0n posted:

It's stupidly easy: https://reportaproblem.apple.com/

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Haggins posted:

There are a bunch of stupid loving garbage articles on the web. We'd be better off if some of these assholes died.

Yeah, I think this is why website people are freaking out about adblock. If the alternative is micropayments or subscriptions most of the stupid viral "32 GIFs for when you can't even" sites will go belly up and nobody will give a poo poo.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Thanks guys!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's a Goon thread (or series of threads, I think) about building blog empires that look like they're useful information sites, but really are just designed to fill niche gaps and cash in using adverts and affiliate links (which I don't think are targeted right now? But that would be a good one just to kill the fake coupon websites). They're probably not loving this.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Honestly this whole "didn't feel good" thing reminds me of the flappy bird incident.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

smackfu posted:

Content blockers are not exactly a complex app either. It's just a JSON file of what to block with an app wrapper around it. I wouldn't be surprised if a good free one comes out.

So true. All the real work is done is collating and maintaining the blocking lists ( of which there are already many available for use in desktop adblocker extensions.)

Apple require a different format for these blocklists, which allows for less nuance (maybe better performance though). Most of the job in writing these apps should be in converting existing adblock lists - Something that can be crowd sourced and something which only needs to be done once. Lists can be shared between all these apps.

I'll use the one of these apps that uses openly available filter subscriptions, and let's me choose which ones to use.

There are a couple of open source ones on github already, though neither has made it into the app store yet. Adios & Block Party.

Marco Arment is an odd chap. No idea why he is so high on Ghostery or their browser extensions, as they're demonstrably worse in performance and completeness compared to alternatives. UBlock origin.

I strongly suspect that pulling this app is as much to do with Ghostery's corporate side getting flack for this rather than a moral crisis on Marco's part.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

Thanks for the response. I meant more along the lines of closing podcast.app and then coming in to resume it later. There used to be a 'now playing' that would resume the last podcast, its gone now so I have to delve into the list of podcasts and find the episode.

Meanwhile i could be doing something worthwhile like posting on sa

Maybe I haven't opened enough stuff to completely flush it from memory, but when I go back to Podcasts.app, it still has the episode of This American Life I was listening to last night paused in the "Now Playing" bar waiting to be resumed. If I completely close the app, yeah, I'm sure I'll lose my place but its not totally the end of the world as long as you don't close Podcasts.app.

Maybe I'm just not opening enough stuff to fully flush the now playing podcast from the phone's memory. Idk. :shrug:

I'll agree though, I did like that now playing icon at the bottom of the screen. As soon as the feedback form supports iOS9 (only iOS 8.4.1 feedback currently) I'd suggest sending feedback to Apple. They do read that stuff.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 18, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
verizon is processing credit cards for their 6s/6s+ preorders now, so keep an eye on your email for fraud protection notices etc.

my order status has updated from "return period for this device has expired" to "this device is still within our return period" HYPE

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Everyone pls post your order confirmations, tracking numbers, and delivery estimates ITT

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Everyone pls post your order confirmations, tracking numbers, and delivery estimates ITT

Let's not make this thread depressing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

smackfu posted:

I have a friend who doesn't want to see personal texts on their work iPhone, even though it is signed into their personal iCloud account. So we turned it off in Settings, and now if they send a message to me, they show as green SMS, so that's good. But if I send them a message, my phone still thinks they have iMessage and the blue message just goes nowhere.

Is there any way to fix this? Does it sort itself out if you wait a while?

There is a form somewhere on the apple website to dergister your ID from iMessage.

Astro7x posted:

This guy is doing gods work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?EverythingApplePro?videos

Direct comparisons of iOS 8.4.1 vs iOS 9 on the iPhone 4s, 5, 5s, and 6. And then another video comparing if 9.1 helped speed up the 4s and 5.

I think it's safe to say that the 5s is safe for upgrading to iOS 9, but it's going to start lagging on anything older.

Wish he did a similar comparison for the iPads

I lost FakeClockUp in the upgrade and boy is everything slow now.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Holy loving poo poo. Bought Purify, the difference is astounding. This is truly awesome.

I'm not sure this is a 'gently caress Google' as has been played up, as much as a 'gently caress this trend which really affects our users experience'. All they did was enable the *ability* to block content (ads), a staple of pretty much every platform. This is nowhere near as drastic as their refusal to even consider Flash.

With Flash, it opened the door to open standards and better encoding and delivery of videos. Content blocking is causing a reexamination of the lovely state of both mobile browsing ads and the nature of the content they support. For us end users, this is the kind of war I can get behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
E:good grief this thread moves fast.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 19, 2015