Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
But I thought everyone hated Pitchford? Or thought he was a crazy hack at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
What I'm wondering is what the heck is Jack Thompson doing in it. I could have sworn he was less about Social Justice and way more about making up lies about violence in videogames he's never played or at least making certain games seem way worse than they actually are.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Doseku posted:

What I'm wondering is what the heck is Jack Thompson doing in it. I could have sworn he was less about Social Justice and way more about making up lies about violence in videogames he's never played or at least making certain games seem way worse than they actually are.

Well, in his interview he does compare the Game Developers Choice Ambassador Award Sarkeesian received last year to the award Charles Lindbergh once got from Hitler, so he gets in his snipes.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

HGH posted:

But I thought everyone hated Pitchford? Or thought he was a crazy hack at least.

He basically has the same reputation that Molynuex does.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doseku posted:

He's a born again gamer, you see if you say games are bad but then take it back later* then you can also help put those women in their places when they crow about 'Paid Family Leave' and 'The right to decide what happens in their bodies'. All you have to do is start badmouthing a prominent woman and you're in the clear. You don't even need to apologize!

*May not apply if you possess multiple X chromosomes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Golden Goat posted:

What the gently caress is going on in this?

Aladdin took a dark turn in its modernization

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
It's hard not to root for Anita when many of her detractors are repulsive in both body and mind.

Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJjA4lKoHPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MklolZingos

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

judge reinhold posted:

It's hard not to root for Anita when many of her detractors are repulsive in both body and mind.

Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJjA4lKoHPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MklolZingos

Oh god its the dumbest gate again! Pull up thread! Pull up! :siren::froggonk::siren:

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Fair point, it was just an excuse to post a greasy guy and a pale smug guy. Please don't talk about gamer gate.

I heard Markiplier was a nice guy in real life, can anyone confirm or deny?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Klaus88 posted:

Oh god its the dumbest gate again! Pull up thread! Pull up! :siren::froggonk::siren:

I can't believe that gate might control the fate of the Middle East!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Please don't talk about that dumb poo poo sane people don't care about in here tia

Talk instead about how it took Arin and Suzy 4 episodes of MGS5 to get through the intro, not because they were taking a long time to get through it, but because Game Grumps episodes are 10-20 minutes long max and the intro of MGS5 is a full hour. I am currently wondering when they're gonna give this playthrough up because if they finish it's gonna go on for like 500+ parts at this rate.

edit: Well, realistically it'd be more like 250-300-ish but still that's like three times as long as their longest series so my point is it's gonna take a long-rear end while.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 18, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I am going to buy a copy of The Sarkeesian Effect and watch it. Does anybody else want to tag along for the ride?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

I am going to buy a copy of The Sarkeesian Effect and watch it. Does anybody else want to tag along for the ride?

This is something for the Let's Stream thread.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Please just allow me this one question: why does everyone freak out when the Gate is close to being talked about, to the point that it is reserved for GBS? It's a terrible thing on the Internet, I know, but why that specifically is taboo instead of any othet terrible thing?

e: also how far did you make it in the first guy's video, because I am 40 seconds in and am already tempted to close it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

:stonk:

Let's not go any further into the GG stuff.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Please just allow me this one question: why does everyone freak out when the Gate is close to being talked about, to the point that it is reserved for GBS? It's a terrible thing on the Internet, I know, but why that specifically is taboo instead of any othet terrible thing?

It kills any conversation for about ten pages at minimum while two groups have some ridiculous argument.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Please don't talk about that dumb poo poo sane people don't care about in here tia

Talk instead about how it took Arin and Suzy 4 episodes of MGS5 to get through the intro, not because they were taking a long time to get through it, but because Game Grumps episodes are 10-20 minutes long max and the intro of MGS5 is a full hour. I am currently wondering when they're gonna give this playthrough up because if they finish it's gonna go on for like 500+ parts at this rate.

edit: Well, realistically it'd be more like 250-300-ish but still that's like three times as long as their longest series so my point is it's gonna take a long-rear end while.
I've always been grossed out at Gamegrumps video length because as far as I can tell it's mostly due to shameless monetization. After all, you'll get a lot more viewers watching three 10 minute videos a day then say, 20 or 30 minute ones, even if the games you're playing are not suited at all for that sort of model or you barely make progress. So who gives a poo poo about the game really? After all they're only here for you witty observations and fartjokes.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

CJacobs posted:

If they're both fans, they probably enjoy replaying the game together. The ad money on top of that doesn't hurt.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Instead of Gamer Gates, what about Gamer Eats? Let's join Metal Jesus as he and his sometimes-beret-wearing friend cook up some Mountain Dew Pepper Jam hors d'oeuvres that are sure to be the "piece of resistance" for your party where you leave a speedrun of Super Mario 3 playing in the background (separate video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUnLUV9crFA

edit: noooo!!!!!! I made a mistake with The Amazing Atheist and Pale Man. Stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 18, 2015

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

paradoxGentleman posted:

e: also how far did you make it in the first guy's video, because I am 40 seconds in and am already tempted to close it.

Because that means that you care about something and that terrible label must be avoided at all costs.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

HGH posted:

I've always been grossed out at Gamegrumps video length because as far as I can tell it's mostly due to shameless monetization.

Now the catch.

HGH posted:

After all, you'll get a lot more viewers watching three 10 minute videos a day

So this is the rub. When does this turn from "I want more people watching this and smaller, frequent is more palatable for most" to a money pull?

I think if the cuts are arbitrary in length, it's prob more the latter (I don't watch Grumps, so I don't know).

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

HGH posted:

I've always been grossed out at Gamegrumps video length because as far as I can tell it's mostly due to shameless monetization. After all, you'll get a lot more viewers watching three 10 minute videos a day then say, 20 or 30 minute ones, even if the games you're playing are not suited at all for that sort of model or you barely make progress. So who gives a poo poo about the game really? After all they're only here for you witty observations and fartjokes.

This is their source of income - "shameless monetization" is literally their paycheck. They don't give two shits about the "art" of LPing - they exist to be entertaining in their medium so people will continue coming back to check out their videos. No matter how you feel about their content, can you blame them for doing the option that will net them the most revenue?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

slowbeef posted:

I think if the cuts are arbitrary in length, it's prob more the latter (I don't watch Grumps, so I don't know).

The grumps have a timer that they set up before each episode that beeps at 10/15/20 mins depending on how long they want to go for. The episodes themselves are, at the end of the day, whatever length they want (the first MGS episode was about half an hour-ish) but "shorter vids = more vids" is generally the motto.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Game Grumps video length actually puts me off watching them for long spans of time. If they start doing something I'm interested in, I pretty much just make a note and check back a month or two later when it's hopefully done, or at least well-progressed.

Mostly though Best Friends really have spoiled me, not only do they do the same system of like 2-3 videos daily, they're almost always half an hour at minimum so I always feel like I'm getting a significant amount of content every visit.

Really it doesn't help though that part 1 of GG's Phantom Pain LP was just eeeuuuuggghhhh. Game audio super low without subtitles, they've both already played really far ahead so no WOAH reactions to the crazy things even in the intro, Arin sooort of leads on a bit hard with a voice-actor related thing, Man Who Sold The World muted and replaced to dodge copyright junk. Just good lord.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 18, 2015

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Since Yahtzee and Gabe don't monetize their videos, they've settled on 1-hour chunks weekly, now twice weekly with their Dark Souls 2 LP thing. I generally like their videos but the DS2 series is difficult to watch due to them being massive scrublords. Also a stupid gimmick where they make up a backstory for their character as they go along which always turns into a pissing context of who can wax the most poetically.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

judge reinhold posted:

Instead of Gamer Gates, what about Gamer Eats? Let's join Metal Jesus as he and his sometimes-beret-wearing friend cook up some Mountain Dew Pepper Jam hors d'oeuvres that are sure to be the "piece of resistance" for your party where you leave a speedrun of Super Mario 3 playing in the background (separate video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUnLUV9crFA

Oh my god they're making the worst food. It's like the food you make when you're a student and all you have is like mayo and cheesestrings in your fridge.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Roar posted:

This is their source of income - "shameless monetization" is literally their paycheck. They don't give two shits about the "art" of LPing - they exist to be entertaining in their medium so people will continue coming back to check out their videos. No matter how you feel about their content, can you blame them for doing the option that will net them the most revenue?
I just think it's lovely entertainment. I don't like the 10 minute format(even when they extend it a minute or two), because I know other Youtbers who do the same thing for a living don't do this despite having less viewers.
As for LPing, ok I guess that's my fault for expecting the wrong content.

HGH fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 18, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Oh my god they're making the worst food. It's like the food you make when you're a student and all you have is like mayo and cheesestrings in your fridge.

As a university student I take offense to that. My cooking sucks big time but even I realize that Mountain Dew should not appear on a list of ingredients.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ramen noodles on the other hand...

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

paradoxGentleman posted:

As a university student I take offense to that. My cooking sucks big time but even I realize that Mountain Dew should not appear on a list of ingredients.

You... might be able to glaze a ham with it?

Maybe. That's all I've got though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

slowbeef posted:

Now the catch.

So this is the rub. When does this turn from "I want more people watching this and smaller, frequent is more palatable for most" to a money pull?

back when I watched them regularly, while they usually aimed for 10 minutes, in practice maybe half the time it would go to 15-20 as they put finishing touches on jokes or finished a particular sequence in the game they were playing. Sometimes more. When they were frustrated with a temple in Wind Waker, they said gently caress it and kept going until they were out. That video was like an hour and a half long.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I'm probably weird but I actually prefer 10-20 minute videos over the "normal" 30-45 v:shobon:v

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Monicro posted:

I'm probably weird but I actually prefer 10-20 minute videos over the "normal" 30-45 v:shobon:v

It depends on the game, and what you are trying to get out of your entertainment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Also depends on the buffers. If you have 5 minutes of introduction and another 5 after the video of folks getting in all the jokes they didn't have time for, that doesn't leave much game per video.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
Sorry to derail from this fascinating talk about Game Grumps, but apparently something really bad happened to Markiplier.

For those who don't want to visit his Twitter, two days ago he posted:

Something very serious has happened. I won't be able to make videos for quite a while.

Amazingly, most of the replies are completely and utterly supportive of him. Perhaps the Internet isn't so bad after all.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

BlueDude posted:

Sorry to derail from this fascinating talk about Game Grumps, but apparently something really bad happened to Markiplier.

Amazingly, most of the replies are completely and utterly supportive of him. Perhaps the Internet isn't so bad after all.

I always cherish these sorts of posts, because the inevitable backlash is usually incredibly entertaining. :kheldragar:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Two seconds.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

paradoxGentleman posted:

1:45 when he started naming off the videos that were on the goddamn screen

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Bruceski posted:

Ramen noodles on the other hand...

Metal Jesus has you covered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JPMz60OBTk

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

How 2 cook Ramen Lasagna:
1. Shove cheesestrings, hard ramen cup noodles & ragu sauce into a Chinese take away dish that you may or may not have washed.
2. Somehow turn that into a 12 minute video.
3. Regret eating your horrible noddle goop.

BlueDude posted:

That's the good youtube LPer. When poo poo goes down I honestly expect people to be understanding and supportive like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

dreezy posted:

Since Yahtzee and Gabe don't monetize their videos, they've settled on 1-hour chunks weekly, now twice weekly with their Dark Souls 2 LP thing. I generally like their videos but the DS2 series is difficult to watch due to them being massive scrublords. Also a stupid gimmick where they make up a backstory for their character as they go along which always turns into a pissing context of who can wax the most poetically.
Really? Because this series is the only non-SA LP thing I can watch. Sure, they bumble around and (although Yahtzee has apparently beaten the game before) seem pretty drat lost, but that's a huge part of that game's charm and they let it emerge organically. The story jamming is obviously not to everyone's tastes but compared to some gimmicks I've seen it's pretty harmless.

• Locked thread