Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm still hoping they actually make that g vision coupe thing-y. I can't think of anyone but MB, Bentley and Rolls who make V8+, pillar-less designs these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MrYenko posted:

It's cool, it gave me an opportunity to imagine a bizzaro Clancy-esqe world where post-Pan-Asia crash South Korea becomes militaristic, invades Japan. F-15Ks vs F-2s. US Forces in an in-situ Cold War with ROK forces on the Peninsula, having to ask Best Korea for help subduing the newly-aggresive ROK.

:circlefap:

Yeah I play Wargame RD, too. Not enough blue on blue servers though.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Wheeee posted:

I wonder if good cars will ever again be made by non-Asians.

Are you just trolling at this point

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sudo rm -rf posted:

Are you just trolling at this point

Has he ever not been?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Doesn't that say that the RS is 1mph faster than the GT?

Yeah I meant faster not slower.

The RS is faster than most Mustangs you'll ever see now, seems like it's going to be a thing that dealers are going to point to and jack up the prices.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

The RS is faster than most Mustangs you'll ever see now, seems like it's going to be a thing that dealers are going to point to and jack up the prices.

As if they needed an excuse.

"yeah, bruh, it's faster than a lamborghinijalpa, $25,000 market adjustment."

it'll be interesting to see what direction it goes. it really is ultimately nothing special. matching the STI in the marketplace, and doesn't have a badge sought after by boomers for "investment".

Then again, most canadian dealers tried gouging on the ford tremor and fiesta ST.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Wheeee posted:

I'm not so much pimping VW as I am pointing out that despite all the internet love for them making performance models, Ford builds garbage cars that hold up worse and maintain value like a Chevy.

If you're going to buy an unreliable car you may as well get the one that's actually pretty nice when it's working.
Yeah man the transmission in my Focus is so bad it didn't even leave the factory without getting some hosed-up jerry-rigged lever thing down by the brake pedal to work the clutch manually and it doesn't even have a sixth gear or a parking pawl anymore, i'm just counting the days before it grenades on me

...serious talk: So so glad I didn't get the MFT bullshit. The setup I've got has glitched out with my iPod like twice in 3500 miles, but that may have just been a connection problem with the cord cause it still responded when I poked buttons and it turned off when I told it to. Still had to restart the car to get it to work with my iPod again but if I'd really wanted to, satellite radio or AM/FM still worked.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KakerMix posted:

The MSRP on the RS is several thousand more than the GT, which is also the reason we havnen't gotten the RS until now. We'll see if people buy it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mange Mite posted:

The MSRP on the RS is several thousand more than the GT, which is also the reason we havnen't gotten the RS until now. We'll see if people buy it.

I would like to buy it, but I'm not getting hosed for more than MSRP. Would love to get it at invoice, but that's not happening.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Why the gently caress does everyone assume there will be dealer markups for more than a couple of months? Be an adult and wait 5 minutes before impulse buying one at some shitbag dealer that's trying to gently caress you.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

fknlo posted:

Why the gently caress does everyone assume there will be dealer markups for more than a couple of months? Be an adult and wait 5 minutes before impulse buying one at some shitbag dealer that's trying to gently caress you.

This * infinity.
If the RS is really as hardcore as I've heard, it won't sell like the Golf R, much less the standard hot hatches. The popularly-quoted engineer doing the testing said on NASIOC the ride is closest to an old STi he had on coilovers, and some large difference harsher than the GT350 Mustangs. Between that, the seats at least seeming (whether or not it's true; I've heard both ways) like they only fit skinny people, the goofy looks, and "LOL $40k Focus!" only lunatics are going to buy one. Like me.
If there's ADM on this thing a year (EDIT: three months, really) after it comes out, I will be officially blown away, and I am not doubting the car will be loving badassed.

Electric Pigeon fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 18, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
My ford is a pile of poo poo. That said, it's a mid two thousands ford with a CVT. do with that as you will

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

iwentdoodie posted:

I quite enjoy my Ford.

I've always been a self admitted Ford fanboy and have owned Fords for 20 years and I've had mixed results.

Of my last few between my wife and I:

2003 Ford Explorer - everything was fine except the wheel hubs. The OEM Timkins loved to take a poo poo. Replaced 3 in 100k miles of owning it.

2007 Ford Fusion - 0 problems in 120k miles.

2010 Ford Taurus - also 0 problems in 80k miles. The only problem it had was getting totaled by a deer.

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium - worst car I've ever owned. 9 times in the garage, 15 different issues in 10 months and less than 10k miles. Ford bought it back under lemon law.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 18, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Electric Pigeon posted:

This * infinity.
The popularly-quoted engineer doing the testing said on NASIOC the ride is closest to an old STi he had on coilovers, and some large difference harsher than the GT350 Mustangs.

Bring it on.

My biggest problem right now switching between my BRZ and my WRX is the WRX just feels like a soft marshmallow wallowing from corner to corner. Light steering, squishy suspension, slow throttle response, slow turn in.

Give me something approaching the sharpness of my BRZ in a package that can carry my mountain bike inside that I can also throw some snow tires on and easily drive through 6 inches of snow and you've sold me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, uh, those clean diesels from VAG? Maybe not so clean. VW might have to recall half a million vehicles or pay fines up to $18 bil because they programmed their cars to cheat on the emissions test.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/18/us-usa-volkswagen-idUSKCN0RI1VK20150918

quote:

Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) could face penalties up to $18 billion after being accused of designing software for diesel cars that deceives regulators measuring toxic emissions, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said on Friday.

"Put simply, these cars contained software that turns off emissions controls when driving normally and turns them on when the car is undergoing an emissions test," Cynthia Giles, an enforcement officer at the EPA, told reporters in a teleconference.

Volkswagen can face civil penalties of $37,500 for each vehicle not in compliance with federal clean air rules. There are 482,000 four-cylinder VW and Audi diesel cars sold since 2008 involved in the allegations. If each car involved is found to be in noncompliance, the penalty could be $18 billion, an EPA official confirmed on the teleconference.

So, if the cars undergo a recall, will it perform worse? VAG is going to be required to get these vehicles in compliance with the rules, but they obviously cheated for a reason.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I can imagine a lot of recall non-compliance for this one

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PCOS Bill posted:

I can imagine a lot of recall non-compliance for this one

I can still imagine a lot of these vehicles go into VW dealerships for regular maintenance. If you go in for an oil change and there's an active recall, guess what, you're gonna get reflashed.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mange Mite posted:

Dealer by me doesn't have a single GT under 40k, or EB under 37k. So it's actually in line. Not too many people buy strippers anymore, since most people still want a couple options...which now means you need that 3K option package.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bull3964 posted:

Bring it on.

My biggest problem right now switching between my BRZ and my WRX is the WRX just feels like a soft marshmallow wallowing from corner to corner. Light steering, squishy suspension, slow throttle response, slow turn in.

Give me something approaching the sharpness of my BRZ in a package that can carry my mountain bike inside that I can also throw some snow tires on and easily drive through 6 inches of snow and you've sold me.

I was thinking of getting a new 'Stang next year myself, but if the RS is around the same price, I can easily see buying one of those instead (it will require a test drive at the very least).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Top Hats Monthly posted:

My ford is a pile of poo poo. That said, it's a mid two thousands ford with a CVT. do with that as you will

wait have we found the one guy who bought a Ford Five Hunnert?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have a guy at work who drives a 500. I know this because it spends a lot of nights left at work with someone giving him a ride home/picking him up/waiting on a tow because of transmission issues.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bull3964 posted:

I can still imagine a lot of these vehicles go into VW dealerships for regular maintenance. If you go in for an oil change and there's an active recall, guess what, you're gonna get reflashed.

I've already had 2 ecu reflashes on our '13 TDI wagon. I wonder if this deception was done to minimize how many burn cycles the DPF goes through, since they seem really prone to failure.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

iwentdoodie posted:

Dealer by me doesn't have a single GT under 40k, or EB under 37k. So it's actually in line. Not too many people buy strippers anymore, since most people still want a couple options...which now means you need that 3K option package.

Except the RS has option packages that take it up past 40k too.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Mange Mite posted:

In my neck of the woods, nicely optioned, it's $45K MSRP.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PCOS Bill posted:

I have a guy at work who drives a 500. I know this because it spends a lot of nights left at work with someone giving him a ride home/picking him up/waiting on a tow because of transmission issues.

Isn't it more accurate then to say he "owns" a 500?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sounds like it's the 500 that owns him on a regular basis.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

BloodBag posted:

Grille by Hobart

What is going on at Honda? The wheels on recent civics look like the cheapest poo poo you get from discount tire.

Never mind the grille, the spolier's wonky as gently caress

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

PT6A posted:

I was thinking of getting a new 'Stang next year myself, but if the RS is around the same price, I can easily see buying one of those instead (it will require a test drive at the very least).
I'm quite liking my '16 GT, and the concept of waiting another 9 months to buy a $15k focus with $25k in go fast parts scared the poo poo out of me.
It may be as fast to 60 (I doubt the RS will win 0-100, HP beats AWD once its off the line); it won't feel the same and it won't be as comfortable as the GT Premium is.

Sigma X posted:

In my neck of the woods, nicely optioned, it's $45K MSRP.
To be fair you can get a GT premium to $45k MSRP just as easily.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 18, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BraveUlysses posted:

I've already had 2 ecu reflashes on our '13 TDI wagon. I wonder if this deception was done to minimize how many burn cycles the DPF goes through, since they seem really prone to failure.

It seems like VW may have to pay $37k for each vehicle they won't be able to mitigate. If there are negative aspects to mitigation, I can imagine that they may look at initiating a buyback program as an option for people instead of the mitigation. Then they can flash and resell the vehicle to try to recoup some of the cost.

No matter which way you slice it, it doesn't look good for VW on this issue. I want to know what was so drat important that they had to take a business risk like this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ilkhan posted:

I'm quite liking my '16 GT, and the concept of waiting another 9 months to buy a $15k focus with $25k in go fast parts scared the poo poo out of me.
It may be as fast to 60 (I doubt the RS will win 0-100, HP beats AWD once its off the line); it won't feel the same and it won't be as comfortable as the GT Premium is.

To be fair you can get a GT premium to $45k MSRP just as easily.

I also live in a place where it snows half the year, and I don't have a second car, so I have to admit that AWD would be slightly tempting (even though the current 'Stang has never had a problem with winter tires).

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Banano posted:

Never mind the grille, the spolier's wonky as gently caress
It's one of those sprint cars that only ever turns left and can barely even go in a straight line

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Isn't it more accurate then to say he "owns" a 500?

I guess, but I have to assume it at least occasionally moves under its own power

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Since we're talking about Fords and manual transmissions, our '13 Fiesta with a manual was great, and our '15 Focus with a manual is great.

Just providing additional data points, you guys.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

wait have we found the one guy who bought a Ford Five Hunnert?

It was basically given to me. It's only killed itself twice!

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
'13 C-Max hybrid with a CVT that's never had an issue

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

It seems like VW may have to pay $37k for each vehicle they won't be able to mitigate. If there are negative aspects to mitigation, I can imagine that they may look at initiating a buyback program as an option for people instead of the mitigation. Then they can flash and resell the vehicle to try to recoup some of the cost.

No matter which way you slice it, it doesn't look good for VW on this issue. I want to know what was so drat important that they had to take a business risk like this.

I'd totally sell them my car on a buy back. I also don't want to take it in for a reflash that might give it worse mpg. My best ever highway tank has only matched the EPA estimate.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CornHolio posted:

Since we're talking about Fords and manual transmissions, our '13 Fiesta with a manual was great, and our '15 Focus with a manual is great.

Just providing additional data points, you guys.

Maybe it's like Subaru, where the manuals are fine, and the automatics are bags of dogshit.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

PT6A posted:

I also live in a place where it snows half the year, and I don't have a second car, so I have to admit that AWD would be slightly tempting (even though the current 'Stang has never had a problem with winter tires).

Having just recently acquired an AWD car in Houston. They own in the rain. I was so careful about driving my previous cars when it would rain to avoid slippage and traction issues. Now the car just goes where I want it to go. Can't wait to take it camping and poo poo. AWD hatches rule. That fuckus RS rules.

Also, WTF is up with people coming in here saying "hurr durr it's a $15K car with $25K of go-fast parts" ? Why wouldn't you want that money to go into the drivetrain instead of appearance packages? I don't hear powershift bitching on end about an F150 platinum being a $25K base truck with $26K of appearance packages. sauce

Us proles have to buy basic cars with nice stuff tacked on because we aren't Steve Jobs perpetually re-leasing a new 500SL before the paper tags expire.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mange Mite posted:

And? My point was OTD it's about the same for similar options.

And honestly, I'd rather have the Focus. I've wanted this exact car since the first models hit the UK.

I love and respect the Mustang, but the RS is still a god drat bargain. The only reason I'd like a (VW style) DSG would be so my wife could also drive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

iwentdoodie posted:

And? My point was OTD it's about the same for similar options.

And honestly, I'd rather have the Focus. I've wanted this exact car since the first models hit the UK.

I love and respect the Mustang, but the RS is still a god drat bargain. The only reason I'd like a (VW style) DSG would be so my wife could also drive it.

Teach her?