Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sbaldrick posted:

The Dakotas collectivity have a smaller population then the Canadian city I live in now, let alone Toronto (which is bigger the Chicago) so no they really wouldn't.
The Dakotas would be in more of a position to change that than Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

I saw I-7 & I-9 last time I was up there!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

The Dakotas collectivity have a smaller population then the Canadian city I live in now, let alone Toronto (which is bigger the Chicago) so no they really wouldn't.

Not disputing the dakotas being empty, but comparing just the city populations is not telling much, especially given Chicago's ridiculous sprawl. The Chicago metro area is like two thirds bigger than the Toronto metro area - 5.8m to 9.7m.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sbaldrick posted:

I'm not convinced, show me what ur made of, kanuck :smug:

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

THE CITY OF :parrot:MAXBASS :rock:

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009

Omelette du Fromage posted:

Not disputing the dakotas being empty, but comparing just the city populations is not telling much, especially given Chicago's ridiculous sprawl. The Chicago metro area is like two thirds bigger than the Toronto metro area - 5.8m to 9.7m.

Toronto ate a pretty good portion of its own sprawl in 1998 for who knows what reason, but without that act we wouldn't have had Rob Ford to kick around later.

Dickensian Aspect fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 19, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dickensian Aspect posted:

Toronto ate its own sprawl in 1998 for who knows what reason, but without that act we wouldn't have had Rob Ford to kick around later.

Toronto's still smaller than New York City's land area, so that's not very sprawly, just good long term planning.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If all the US states were independent nation-states they'd be absolutely swimming in irredentist wars. The bloody struggle to get back West Florida, or the dream of Greater Texas.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
the world in 2035 according to Russian geopolitics experts

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

This expert broke new grounds by making Russia loosing territory too.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Can someone translate the burgundy blob in southern France? Just the Russian name for PACA?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Arabian Piedmont.

I also like free Corsica and Wallonia.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Kurtofan posted:

Can someone translate the burgundy blob in southern France?

It's an Arab Islamic State :laugh:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Kurtofan posted:

Can someone translate the burgundy blob in southern France?

Arabic Piedmont.
:allears:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Soviet Commubot posted:

Arabian Piedmont.

That's what I figured, tried putting Islamic in google translate but nothing.

I like how Wallonia is independent but not Flanders.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 19, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

The latter has a very interesting shape. I wonder why they didn't just use existing maps instead of messing around in MS Paint. Having an independent Wallonia while Flanders joins up with the Netherlands seems counterintuitive as well.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Alright, guessing time, what's this?:

(I do not know why they only labeled 4 countries and why those 4, but it's irrelevant vs map subject)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

double nine posted:

(I do not know why they only labeled 4 countries and why those 4, but it's irrelevant vs map subject)

well the four labelled countries are PIGS which are the European states most likely to default on debts (Ireland is sometimes included), so I'd guess it's something to do with levels of borrowing with darker meaning larger amounts or perhaps government spending as a percent of GDP?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Something about Norway?

Or big flaccid Scandicks. :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

well the four labelled countries are PIGS which are the European states most likely to default on debts (Ireland is sometimes included), so I'd guess it's something to do with levels of borrowing with darker meaning larger amounts or perhaps government spending as a percent of GDP?

It's got nothing to do with government debt or Piigs and the labeling is irrelevant. I'd have removed the labels but it looked ugly as hell.

I'll give you one hint:

Darker deeper orange means more X.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The lack of Norway and the greyness of Switzerland and some other countries suggest it's an EU-only thing.

I don't know of anything that's common in Scandinavia AND that Belgium has more of than the Netherlands, though.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

double nine posted:

It's got nothing to do with government debt or Piigs and the labeling is irrelevant. I'd have removed the labels but it looked ugly as hell.

I'll give you one hint:

Darker deeper orange means more X.

Countries who have all their X in one basket?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

The lack of Norway and the greyness of Switzerland and some other countries suggest it's an EU-only thing.

I don't know of anything that's common in Scandinavia AND that Belgium has more of than the Netherlands, though.

Don't forget Cyprus

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Norwegian bank accounts abroad?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's a tough one. It could be Norwegians living abroad (Brussels and Dublin being expat hotspots and the Mediterranean countries having a pleasant climate for retired people), but then Romania doesn't make much sense.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You people think it's about Norwegians because Norway is missing on the map, I don't think that's likely. That would mean there's exactly 0 Norwegians in Switzerland and those non-EU balkan countries?

No, it's clearly something EU specific, which is why Norway is missing and those countries are all grey. It would make more sense if Norway had been grey as well, but :shrug:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

It's a tough one. It could be Norwegians living abroad (Brussels and Dublin being expat hotspots and the Mediterranean countries having a pleasant climate for retired people), but then Romania doesn't make much sense.
Romania does have the petrochemical industry in common with Norway, though whether that would be enough on its own is another matter.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Phlegmish posted:

Sweet sweet Romanian oil.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Kurtofan posted:

That's what I figured, tried putting Islamic in google translate but nothing.

What I don't get is that the article mentions Paris' 13th arrondissement. That's where the Asian community is, what's the link with Islam ?_?

Kassad fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 19, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think between this and that map of the US splitting up, it's safe to say that Russian map-making 'experts' don't know poo poo about anything.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kassad posted:

What I don't get is that the article mentions Paris 13th arrondissement. That's where the Asian community is, what's the link with Islam ?_?

in what context?

edit: google translated it, I guess they think the 13th arrondissement is a separate entity run by China or something, which is pretty funny.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 19, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Germany going back to it's post-WW1 borders... 1/10 for effort, or the lack of it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Interestingly it's from 2012.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Germany taking back Alsace-Lorraine and Prussia in the 21st century :lol:

I also love how he predicted Russia invading Ukraine two years before it actually happened. Even if the extent of the land taken so far is a little off ...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Apparently there's a bunch of Lotharingia irredentists who have been waiting a really, really long time.

Edit: What are the least dumb things there? Scotland and Catalonia I suppose, Italy and Belgium splitting? I don't know how likely any of those are but at least they make sense. And Russia invading its neighbors.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 19, 2015

3peat
May 6, 2010

double nine posted:

gays (per capita)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Grand Fromage posted:

Apparently there's a bunch of Lotharingia irredentists who have been waiting a really, really long time.

Edit: What are the least dumb things there? Scotland and Catalonia I suppose, Italy and Belgium splitting? I don't know how likely any of those are but at least they make sense. And Russia invading its neighbors.

It's absolutely possible that both Scotland and Catalonia become independent states in the next few decades. Belgium is less likely but not impossible. Italy splitting up in this fashion is not very likely as far as I know, if the country breaks up it will splinter into more states imho.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Nagorno-Karabakh has been de facto independent of Azerbaijan for years so maybe them joining Armenia isn't too out there. Then again, that conflict's been frozen for years so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

3peat posted:

gays (per capita)

Why isn't Sweden black?