Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Do Roll20 instead, bro. There's no advantage to PbP asides from maybe giving people time to think out what they're gonna type, and even then that's defeated by the fact that giving people unlimited time to make a post will just increase the odds they'll drop out.

Kellsterik posted:

I just realized your Demon game was like a year and a half ago.

It was fun and I learned a few things from GMing it. Shame it ended so soon but eh :beerpal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

gourdcaptain posted:

What happened during the polling?

unseenlibrarian posted:

They 'forgot' to shut down one of the polls on time, so a setting everyone wanted seemed to win but as it turns out if they'd shut it down at the right time the other setting would have won, so the other setting won.

Nobody 'forgot' anything.

Two options were neck and neck for the length of the poll. The polls would traditionally close once the stretch goal was passed. Option #1 was ahead when the stretch goal was passed, Option #2 then pulled ahead in the ~30 second window it took to physically close the polling app. OP had to make a call and decided Option #1 would get it because it was ahead when the poll was "over." It was a weird situation and regardless of what they picked people would gnash their teeth endlessly because both options were never more than ten votes apart at any given time.

Luminous Obscurity fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 13, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The right thing to do is close the poll, then call it.

There were also matchups with two or more great settings, where only one could win. Then there was no way to get the runner-up, short of personally dropping huge money to fund it.

And unless you kept up with Kickstarter updates, you didn't even know to vote - much less how. I missed the first few that way.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The best thing to do would be run offs in the even of such a close race like that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Xelkelvos posted:

The best thing to do would be run offs in the even of such a close race like that.

Kind of hard to do a runoff between two options out of two.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

moths posted:

The right thing to do is close the poll, then call it.

There were also matchups with two or more great settings, where only one could win. Then there was no way to get the runner-up, short of personally dropping huge money to fund it.

And unless you kept up with Kickstarter updates, you didn't even know to vote - much less how. I missed the first few that way.

Not to mention the voting was open and easy to interfere with by rounding up completely unrelated friends and having them vote.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah, I liked that Forsaken by Rome won, but I would not object at all to some kind of recount, even if Hunter won. The whole polling system was bullshit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
No but seriously no one her has read Devil in the White City? Terrific book.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

SunAndSpring posted:

Do Roll20 instead, bro. There's no advantage to PbP asides from maybe giving people time to think out what they're gonna type, and even then that's defeated by the fact that giving people unlimited time to make a post will just increase the odds they'll drop out.

It was fun and I learned a few things from GMing it. Shame it ended so soon but eh :beerpal:

Except it allows people who don't have a traditional work schedule or live in different time zones to all play together. If pbp sucked so bad why do we have an entire loving subforum that's been active as long as I've been a member? Just temper your expectations and have plans to recruit extra players if needed.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Soonmot posted:

Except it allows people who don't have a traditional work schedule or live in different time zones to all play together. If pbp sucked so bad why do we have an entire loving subforum that's been active as long as I've been a member? Just temper your expectations and have plans to recruit extra players if needed.

Where's our pirate adventure, Soonmot? Where's my nautical horror?

the same place my Mage-Voyager-BSG knock off went, I know.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Loomer posted:

Where's our pirate adventure, Soonmot? Where's my nautical horror?

the same place my Mage-Voyager-BSG knock off went, I know.

:hf: that's the other caveat, don't run a gimmick game unless you can commit and actually have plot options that exist outside the gimmick :(

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

MonsieurChoc posted:

No but seriously no one her has read Devil in the White City? Terrific book.

Yeah, it's really fantastic. Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese are making a movie adaption. So I'm sure once that comes out it'll jump in popularity.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Soonmot posted:

We have an entire subforum dedicated to absuing drugs in the name of "harm management", guess I should shoot Russian bathtub heroin into my arm.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PBP works for some games- WoD is not one of them.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I probably wouldn't have gotten into my current IRL group of 20 years if it hadn't been for WoD PbPs. Just because a lot of people can't hack it doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile. It might be very hard, but I've seen seen WoD function in just about every RP format there is.

It's not a game like Hillfolk where the format flat-out doesn't function in PbP.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

There is evidence at RPG.net that PbP can work. Those 100+ pages of Chuubo campaigns have to be filled with something.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Ask people who are interested if they can agree on a time-slot first. If they can, go Roll20. If they can't, you can try PbP. However, you gotta figure out a way to add some motivation to keep posting on a regular basis if you do PbP.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Back in the day, this forum was nothing but WoD and M&M games, I've played in multiple games that spanned a year or more and actually finished. WoD works better than most because you can break it down into scene/chapter/story chunks and adjust based on the players. If you have a dialogue heavy scene, or a couple of the players want to have their own conversation, that's when you get on IRC. It's a hell of a lot easier to schedule an IRC scene every now and again rather than commit to a weekly play time.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I've been in a bunch of successful WoD PBP games on this very forum. You drat kids don't have the patience or dedication we had back in the distant past of 2006!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's all the cell phones and animes these kids watch, I tell you what.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

There is evidence at RPG.net that PbP can work. Those 100+ pages of Chuubo campaigns have to be filled with something.

Two words from this very forum: Blackbird Dreaming

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Esser-Z posted:

Two words from this very forum: Blackbird Dreaming

Blackbird Dreaming scares me. I can't imagine the dedication needed to keep that thing going for so long.

I like Soonmot's IRC idea, though I'd probably use Roll20.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I have an idea that involves the hunters in my game befriending a human that happens to be hunted by the cheiron group. Is inter-conspiracy rivalry and threat a valid thing to do?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

DJ Dizzy posted:

I have an idea that involves the hunters in my game befriending a human that happens to be hunted by the cheiron group. Is inter-conspiracy rivalry and threat a valid thing to do?
Absolutely! You could even add some layers to it by having them get a hand from someone in Cheiron at some point with another case they're working on, so it doesn't become a clear-cut David v. Goliath thing from the outset. You want to get REAL sticky with it, you could have different teams of NPCs at Cheiron with different goals --- maybe R&D wants the group-friend-person for sinister purposes, but maybe another project team within R&D is all about vampires and lends the group that aforementioned hand (and may or may not help against the Cheiron hunting crew---after all, both groups ARE competing for chunks out of the same budget at the end of the day).

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

My idea is to make him a cheiron group defector turned Aegis Kai Doru.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

LOTS of angles to take with that one (from HR aggressively trying to re-recruit him because they want their employee churn to be low in time for the quarterly report, to just straight up trying to kill someone that might have any number of their secrets, to people trying to kidnap him actually-and-sincerely-for-his-own-protection depending on what kind of supernatural enemies he made while a part of the "harvest them for bits" faction).

But overall, you can definitely pull off inter-conspiracy rivalry and threat; at the end of the day, everybody's got their own goals at the macro and micro scale, and whenever those don't align, conflict.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Nearly anybody tier 2 or higher is a valid Hunter target all their own.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Nearly finished mapping out the other hunters in NOLA :toot:

https://new-times-in-new-orleans.obsidianportal.com/characters

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DJ Dizzy posted:

Nearly finished mapping out the other hunters in NOLA :toot:

https://new-times-in-new-orleans.obsidianportal.com/characters

Looks like a good mix of personalities and backgrounds.

My only thought would be to ask your players to consider changing some of their last names to something a bit more local, assuming their character is local to the area. Boudreaux, LeBlanc, Thibodeaux, Matherne, etc. Some of those may be interesting in just looking up how to actually pronounce them, like Richard.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Well, all these are NPCs. I haven't started redcruiting for the game yet. Also, regarding the names. Yes. I will do that, thanks!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kibner posted:

Looks like a good mix of personalities and backgrounds.

My only thought would be to ask your players to consider changing some of their last names to something a bit more local, assuming their character is local to the area. Boudreaux, LeBlanc, Thibodeaux, Matherne, etc. Some of those may be interesting in just looking up how to actually pronounce them, like Richard.

Ree-Charr.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I can't recommend the film The Conspiracy enough to you guys. I won't spoil much of it, but it'd slot neatly into almost any WoD game of either version since it involves a Bohemian Grove style scenario. Solid stuff for showing people who want to play Hunter or members of the Arcanum or even low-power Mage games.

It also works beautifully for VtM especially since the conspiracy involved is a major secret society for the rich and powerful, the Tarsus Club, that worships Mithras. Now if you recall, Mithras set up a Taurus Club in the Victorian Age to secretly provide a recruitment and power base via the Mithraic mysteries, so it functions beautifully as an example of just how the tendrils of the Ventrue extend through proxies and societies over the centuries.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Loomer posted:

I can't recommend the film The Conspiracy enough to you guys. I won't spoil much of it, but it'd slot neatly into almost any WoD game of either version since it involves a Bohemian Grove style scenario. Solid stuff for showing people who want to play Hunter or members of the Arcanum or even low-power Mage games.

It also works beautifully for VtM especially since the conspiracy involved is a major secret society for the rich and powerful, the Tarsus Club, that worships Mithras. Now if you recall, Mithras set up a Taurus Club in the Victorian Age to secretly provide a recruitment and power base via the Mithraic mysteries, so it functions beautifully as an example of just how the tendrils of the Ventrue extend through proxies and societies over the centuries.

I'm a huge sucker for found footage horror and concur on this. Great flick.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Would The Union be a decent compact for a homeless person to be a part of?

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

DJ Dizzy posted:

Would The Union be a decent compact for a homeless person to be a part of?

Could be, yeah, depending on the locl flavor of the Union, but the Night Watch is kind of more targeted at "those who can't protect themselves" in that regard, thus why they mostly hunt vampires who prey on those who will not be missed. The Union in a way is a bit more about neighborhoods and communities less than transients, and a homeless person in the Union would likely have a lot of stigma to be up against (which isn't a bad plot hook at all.)

e: The Long Night specifically does a lot of homeless shelters and outreach to get members, that could work well too.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Could be, yeah, depending on the locl flavor of the Union, but the Night Watch is kind of more targeted at "those who can't protect themselves" in that regard, thus why they mostly hunt vampires who prey on those who will not be missed. The Union in a way is a bit more about neighborhoods and communities less than transients, and a homeless person in the Union would likely have a lot of stigma to be up against (which isn't a bad plot hook at all.)

e: The Long Night specifically does a lot of homeless shelters and outreach to get members, that could work well too.

He's a vietnam war vet. Im thinking he "patrols" the french quarter. I'm thinking of somehow connecting him with the owners of the Union Dive bar (who are members of The Union) and they like pay for his medical bills and give him all the nightly tips.

Not really a fan of long night tbh.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
When is hunter 2 being released? I've always wanted to take a look at hunter since reckoning was my favorite owod line, but I feel I should wait for the second version.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

He's a vietnam war vet. Im thinking he "patrols" the french quarter. I'm thinking of somehow connecting him with the owners of the Union Dive bar (who are members of The Union) and they like pay for his medical bills and give him all the nightly tips.

Not really a fan of long night tbh.

The Long Night could totally be a benevolent, church-based alternative to the Union. The problem is it's depiction and its associations are more towards the brand of Protestant/Baptist that generally tends towards multiple brands of xenophobia. It's more redeemable compared to some of the other Hunter Compacts, but it's also relatively easy to adjust if Protestants aren't your cup of tea. It could easily be a Compact level association for Catholic churches that the MM keeps around to handle the smaller stuff or it could be run through the lens of a different religion like Islam where their efforts to police themselves against homegrown radicals also began to root out more supernatural individuals that also preyed on their communities.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The idea of it being a time of tribulation and the whole Apocalyptic feel I think is a strong and interesting undercurrent, especially for a Hunter game, but yeah its portrayal in-text can be real spotty at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

But Catholics already have the Vatican Ninjas!