Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Johnnylump, upon hearing of "goon modders"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

FraudulentEconomics posted:

At least time time around it'll be easier to mod the game and then the myriad goon modders can band together in some giant WE ARE LEGION style mod that ends up superseding Long War 2.0 and we bathe in their tears.

Seriously just with The Iron Rose and a few other ambitious modders here I'm quite sure we could bang out a killer XCOM 2 mod.

i'd totally be down for something like that

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Ravenfood posted:

They'd make a great urban-map Alien "gently caress you". Like, I can imagine a lot of the nastier aliens would be generally kept under guard or not always used: even with good control of media, a bunch of rampaging lids/zerks in a city setting might get noticed. But a hovering, omnipresent disc is just the right level of authoritarian control without being alien. Perfect for those times ADVENT is getting overwhelmed but the Ethereals can't/won't commit to unleashing everything.

Hopefully, alien type is a little more varied/mission dependent in some ways. Being able to plan a loadout based on expected alien presence is fun but comes way too late in EU/EW IMO.

Come to think of it, that sterility of design really makes the unfolded cyberdisk look a lot like a Portal turret's big scary brother.

The MECs could be the slightly-more-common version of the same idea, seeming vaguely humanoid but very cold all the same.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

fraudulenteconomics please do not think i am making fun of you except for a mildly dumb statement, you are an okay person and not one of the weirdos who talks endlessly about how long war killed their dog

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Control Volume posted:

yeah i can see that

lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but are people really upset that a particular enemy type is strong against a particular type of attack and are wondering what the design justification for that is?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but are people really upset that a particular enemy type is strong against a particular type of attack and are wondering what the design justification for that is?

yes

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but are Goons really horrible?

Yes.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

The Iron Rose posted:

i'd totally be down for something like that

I'm down for passive-aggresively criticizing your project for perceived flaws while never giving any constructive criticism.

Particularly before release.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

ImpAtom posted:

I think people are just imagining unfun versions of the mechanic. What little info we have is vague. As an example: vanilla psi panic did basically nothing except for give the alien a chance to fire on your turn. This rendered psi panic useless because there essentially aren't any circumstances in which it was an optimal decision. So nobody used it, and that's not fun.

Similarly, some implementations of muton counterattack could easily mean that it's never a good choice to use a melee attack on a muton... so nobody will. And then we'll never get to see the sweet reverse of that special animation when you MEC punch a zerker or sectopod, wherein your hanzosteel wannabe ninja lunges at the muton and gets impaled on a chainsaw.

...they'd better have that animation.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 19, 2015

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Control Volume posted:

ha ha i bet the long war people are going to be really gnashing their teeth at other people making a video game modification

Reminder that the Long War devs will supposedly be off making their own game, so XCOM 2's Designated Love Hate Mod is still to be determined.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Control Volume posted:

fraudulenteconomics please do not think i am making fun of you except for a mildly dumb statement, you are an okay person and not one of the weirdos who talks endlessly about how long war killed their dog

:confused: I don't even know when you said anything even remotely hostile to me? Personally I try to avoid overtly pissing people off over vidja gaymes in any capacity.

But those fukkin LW devs did kick my cat with their drat stupid air game and I just :tizzy:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dallan Invictus posted:

Reminder that the Long War devs will supposedly be off making their own game, so XCOM 2's Designated Love Hate Mod is still to be determined.

TBH, them just moving onto their own non-XCOM thing fulltime, while at some point in the future goons release their comprehensive XCOM 2 mod that is aimed as a 'take THAT' at them regardless of the fact that they'll be done with it and move on by then...that would be the epitomy of hilarity.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

:confused: I don't even know when you said anything even remotely hostile to me?

oh. well, uh, good.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

CrazyLoon posted:

TBH, them just moving onto their own non-XCOM thing fulltime, while at some point in the future goons release their comprehensive XCOM 2 mod that is aimed as a 'take THAT' at them regardless of the fact that they'll be done with it and move on by then...that would be the epitomy of hilarity.

So long as the LW dev team is trying to make the Dwarf Fortress of tactical strategy games, then they can keep on keeping on. They'll very quickly find out that there's a big difference between having a super popular mod for a game a bunch of people already own and is free with some pretty bad glaring flaws versus an incredibly niche, end-user enjoyment ignorant shitstorm that people will most likely not buy after the first reviews and the devs will go on a tirade saying how this is so much more than LW and they'll implode.

I mean kudos for them for trying to make a game, but their mindset in creating LW will completely alienate their playerbase before it even forms.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if you can see the future in such detail would you be willing to share next week's lottery numbers

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm personally glad there are people who make hard, niche games/mods for a small audience. I'm not shitposting or anything, video games need more people making dumb niche games for themselves first and other people second.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dallan Invictus posted:

the odds of them actually creating a game are a lot worse than the odds of my XCOM guy landing a 90% shot :xcom:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Well those are still pretty good odds, for a video game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Control Volume posted:

Well those are still pretty good odds, for a video game.

yeah the more accurate joke would be a lower percentage but rockets missing on a 90% is just ... too good. I work with what I have.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

if you can see the future in such detail would you be willing to share next week's lottery numbers

Human behavior is pretty far from random events, and a lot more predictable.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
one day humans will evolve the ability to understand basic statistics and chance without taking classes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is one thing I have learned is that their are no such things as a niche market. Also everyone is a psychologist.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Ironically anytime people ask me if I need anything else, I always ask for winning lottery numbers.

11, 23, 35, 38, 51, PB13 :toxx: you will share with me if this wins :cawg:

I'm far from making GBS threads over their work, as a lot of what they did for XCOM was great, it's just that they don't recognize anyone else's definition of fun beyond their own. Hence the comparison to Dwarf Fortress, not everyone's cup of tea but it has a good following. If their game is in the same hard/frustrating vein as say Dark Souls, then that's cool. If it's in the vein of their air game in LW, :tipshat:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm going to make a mod where all the aliens have infinite health and every XCOM shot chance is set to 0%. I'm going to publish it as a joke about people liking difficulty to the point of absurdity, and within a month it will have a small but devoted following claiming it's the only way to play and everyone else is on easy baby mode.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Deuce posted:

I think people are just imagining unfun versions of the mechanic. What little info we have is vague. As an example: vanilla psi panic did basically nothing except for give the alien a chance to fire on your turn. This rendered psi panic useless because there essentially aren't any circumstances in which it was an optimal decision. So nobody used it, and that's not fun.

Similarly, some implementations of muton counterattack could easily mean that it's never a good choice to use a melee attack on a muton... so nobody will. And then we'll never get to see the sweet reverse of that special animation when you MEC punch a zerker or sectopod, wherein your hanzosteel wannabe ninja lunges at the muton and gets impaled on a chainsaw.

...they'd better have that animation.
People still shoot guns at Ethereals even with reflect, so I imagine, at some point, i will try to melee a muton. And then I'll get to see just how badly chainsaw bayonets beat hanzo steel.

Well, unless they always counter, but that would be stupid.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Vib Rib posted:

I'm going to make a mod where all the aliens have infinite health and every XCOM shot chance is set to 0%. I'm going to publish it as a joke about people liking difficulty to the point of absurdity, and within a month it will have a small but devoted following claiming it's the only way to play and everyone else is on easy baby mode.

And then I will add an endgame extension (that no-one will ever see due to the above, so I don't actually have to code anything but junk to fill megs) said to handle the PTSD of war and the long-term health effects of plasma gun use. Realism spergs will love it.

Also, I will add a brown filter over everything, then I will hastily remove it a week later so that people will love my attention to fan concerns.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The RNG giveth and the RNG taketh away, and for all the great soldiers I have in my current run with FraudulentEconomics' mod, a mighty two have tested out as Psionic:
- super Frenchman Assault
- a Heavy with the "Medic Build" (and who I haven't used in ages because with enough firepower you don't need dedicated medics)

The only people I haven't tested yet is a Rocket Heavy that I've been leveling up, and Annette/the Furies. Annette rolled 70 Aim and Sniper so no, the Sniper that "Furies" got me missed a crucial disabling shot on a Sectopod so no, everyone else is pretty meh. I have this feeling I'll be bringing one Psionic to the Temple Ship, even though I try to carry at least two with Telekinetic Field for oh-poo poo moments.

I'm far from making GBS threads over their work, as a lot of what they did for XCOM was great, it's just that they don't recognize anyone else's definition of fun beyond their own. Hence the comparison to Dwarf Fortress, not everyone's cup of tea but it has a good following. If their game is in the same hard/frustrating vein as say Dark Souls, then that's cool. If it's in the vein of their air game in LW, :tipshat:

My guess is that the game will ship broken (like... the LW air game :v:) and they'll say "but it's mod friendly! fix it yourself!"

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
i'll be up for tons of bullshit difficulty on the tacticool layer in 2 so long as winning and losing on the strategic layer is granular enough to make that work

also so long as there aren't a pile of missions early on that kinda suck to play if all your guys are useless rookies

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want there to be things that make me feel unsafe 24/7 in the tactical layer and barely scrape together victories, sorry some of you guys don't like xcom I guess? :shrug:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i was abused as a child by a difficult game

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I wish modders would only make mods that I like and not mods that they like :smith:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

At least time time around it'll be easier to mod the game and then the myriad goon modders can band together in some giant WE ARE LEGION style mod that ends up superseding Long War 2.0 and we bathe in their tears.

Seriously just with The Iron Rose and a few other ambitious modders here I'm quite sure we could bang out a killer XCOM 2 mod.

I'll make the website.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Does fully moddable mean the playerbase can add their own 3D assets?

Bulbo
Nov 4, 2012

ProfessorBooty posted:

Does fully moddable mean the playerbase can add their own 3D assets?

Bigger, bouncier snaketits on day 1.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Bulbo posted:

Snakedicks and snaketits.

Also molerats with tits.

Nude mod for bradford, nun outfit for lily, Transgender mod for tygan.

Make it so

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Snakedicks and snaketits.

Also molerats with tits.

Nude mod for bradford, nun outfit for lily, Transgender mod for tygan.

Make it so

Hey, I'm just thinking about hats and helmets. An unfortunate oversight is the missing 'ten gallon' hat from EU/EW.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

ProfessorBooty posted:

Hey, I'm just thinking about hats and helmets. An unfortunate oversight is the missing 'ten gallon' hat from EU/EW.

Honestly it would be nice to have the models editable. Looking at fallout's higher resolution and realistic weapon textures makes me pine for super high resolution skins and junk. And the ability to mod in a BFG9000 of course.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

makes me pine for super high resolution skins and junk.

Phrasing quoted for posterity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Bulbo posted:

Dead or Alive: :xcom:

• Locked thread