Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Potato Alley posted:

stupid loving thread

now everyone's going to be mad at me because they expect 10 new relevant and interesting posts

fakeedit: HOORAY!

fakeedit2: PAGE 666 POST YOUR MOST HORRIFYING STORIES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Potato Alley posted:

[img-your face]

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Potato Alley posted:

stupid loving thread

Let's just close it

(that's a horror story you see)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

At my last job the IT department got moved into their own building. I worked for a city, it was an old building that the city owned and everyone was convinced the place was haunted and no other department wanted it. So we moved in and the basement was really creepy there was a hallway that went for about a half mile to a dead end with a door to the left. If you opened the door it had 3 deadbolts on the inside a chair and a single light just hanging there. The wall inside this room was smashed in enough for someone to get in, there was a room that was lined with shelves with no other way anyone can find out how to get in except this odd hole. In the center where there were no shelves was an old printing press.

Across from the door was a fake wood paneled wall that if you pushed it aside you got a really long tunnel. We once walked a mile in a straight line before turning around because it didn't look like it was going to end. I have no idea where it goes and no one else in the city knew it even existed. That basement was creepy as poo poo. The tunnel to nowhere we walked about 10 minutes into it and just put the Pentium 2-4s that my boss wouldn't let us get rid off and when we offered to donate to citizens without computers, we got them back because who wants a Pentium 2 in 2014?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Demons!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I want to explore that tunnel, how could you not!?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Gah, replaced someone's laptop with another we had lying around because the hard disk on hers had failed. She opened a ticket about this laptop freezing up. Looks like this one had a bad disk too. Seemed fine when I deployed the image, but the hard drive encryption ended up finding some bad sectors. Gonna quote out an SSD which ought to make her happy.

Relevant to the page, I guess:
KITH, Pit of Eternal Darkness

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Right after my grandpa died his favorite Bridge program opened itself on their Windows 3.1 machine. Yet to encounter any ghosts or demons in the workplace

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

holy poo poo please hire me

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
also one of my first weeks out of training at my webhosting job (when i was still a nub working customer support) there was a serious a xen 0day and we had to patch all of our xen parents immediately, which was almost all of them- and this wasn't some small webhosting company either, this was like a huge loving webhost with a ton of customers

i have never been screamed, cursed, yelled at or threatened so much in my life as i was in those 8 hours ( ._.)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Aw yes, page 666 :black101:

Today has been...interesting. Found out this morning that our remote tool is flaking out, taking forever to log in, launch, connect to machines, and some of the connect options aren't available. T3 team that oversees the app and configured it can't seem to pinpoint the problem, so it's been escalated to vendor support. Meanwhile we have no other backup tool to use because our previous one was too expensive and we transitioned away from it over 2 months ago. It literally takes everyone a solid 3-4 minutes to log in, another couple minutes to pull up a remote connect option, then an additional 2-3 minutes praying the drat tool works and connects properly. So far all but 3 options are dead and the ones that DO work keep locking up or crashing randomly.

I have a feeling this is related to a patch for the remote tool that was pushed late last week, things haven't been quite right ever since. Vendor is looking but not admitting anything and of course T3 doesn't want to say "oops we hosed up" because they've done poo poo like this in the past and know they'll get their asses chewed. Only an hour left....at least today is the last day I have to ever deal with one of my worst clients, I'll be stopping by their office to drop off their building keys, all their equipment has been changed over to their new IT company, and I can wipe my hands clean and have a nice, relaxing weekend knowing I'll never have to hear from them or go to their site again.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Potato Alley posted:

Imagine a short corridor on a split level with stairs in the middle:

On the upper level, doors to two offices, the kitchen and the reception area
On the lower level, self-closing doors to production area and the auxiliary gents bathroom.

Now imagine walking out the kitchen from your office, grabbing a nice cup of coffee and walking down the steps. Fresh smell of coffee and you're feeling happy.

Except: every two days, someone would use that poorly-ventilated bathroom and empty what they had been storing in their bowels for those two days. If Satan was lactose intolerant, it would have smelt better. It was so dense, that it floated along the bottom on the lower corridor, like the fog from the House of the Baskervilles. It shimmers in the sunlight and you could probably float a paper boat on it.

As you descend the stairs, the smell hits you. Your momentum carries you right into it and your eyes literally water. You want to gasp in fear, but you know that if you do, that lungful of foul, fetid air will cause you to pass out. You start to lose balance and swear that it is sucking you into it like quicksand.

With the last breath in your body, you stumble through those doors and into clean air. The doors swing shut. The trap remains for the next unwary traveler.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Avid Unity is such a piece of poo poo. The UI looks like something out of OS 9 and it likes to crash when it hits a corrupt file that I'm trying to copy over to the StorNext SAN.

Also a bunch of the volumes won't mount and Console says it can't see the disks. I asked someone on the team about it and they said "Oh it just does that sometimes, we just reboot it". Great :allears:

But they're swapping over to StorNext which is much much better but they still want to use Avid so they get to use SanFusion! It lets you use Avid with Xsan/StorNext storage, it might be worth checking out if you work in media: http://sanfusion.com/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our support team sometimes need to work with older PBX systems that are only accessible via ISDN (no remote management PC on the site). Rather than trying to find some USB terminal adapters that work in 64-bit versions of Windows 7 / 10, is there such a thing as an ISDN TA that can connect to the network, and then a virtual device is installed on the PCs of the support team - the same sort of thing as you can get for serial devices? This would remove the need to bring ISDN connections out to their desk clusters, buy a bunch of TAs of dubious quality, and enable remote work via VPN.

I appreciate that such a device is almost guaranteed to not be worth building, but I figure it's worth asking before ordering a ton of different TAs to find one that is reliable.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hail satan

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Once upon a time...

larchesdanrew clocked in at his joOoOOOoOoOoOob

:spooky:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There's no way I'm not posting on page 666. I've already been to Hell.

True story, one of my bad bosses was Lt. Funk. He was a severely whitebread, un-funky dude. The overall boss at that job? I think he's still in prison! :dogout:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Once upon a 2011 afternoon, an email came in:

Datacenter Manager posted:

To: IT-ALL
Subject: The datacenter is dark and everything is powered off.....
<EOM>

I used to keep this email pinned on a cubewall as a reminder about how backup systems can and do fail.

It was a UPS short wot did it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Back when I lived ten minutes from our local datacenter, I got a call from our Virginia operations center. "All of the servers in Ann Arbor just went unpingable. We tried to call the NOC there but nobody is answering the phone. Could you go and see what happened?"

AC compressor in the DC failed and puked its guts out into the raised floor, evaporating volatiles triggered the fire alarm, fire suppression system cut power immediately, no fun was had by all. On the other hand nothing actually caught fire and the FM200 didn't dump, so it could have been worse. Our oncall engineer and I spent a fun day typing root passwords into consoles to get fsck going.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
I was sent up to Nunuvut with a colleague to do a huge server deployment and rack build for a client. In January. We were scheduled for two days but all the components took over a week to get delivered and another few days to get setup. We got the main rack Monday, rack side panels/door Wednesday and the server/fortigate on Friday. We got to spend the weekend trying to get everything setup but due to weather, internet was useless. We flew out on the next Thursday though that was mostly due to there only being two flights a week out of the place.

I think hotels and meals ended up being $14k worth of expenses.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Single-point-of-failure hyper-expensive netapp filer was configured with static port channels, one patch cable has been unplugged for months. 50% packet loss. This filer is my VDI storage system.

Guy in charge has been shown evidence ofthis issue over and over. Shrugged it away every time. If anyone asks, I was never in this guy's space going through the filer's config through a console cable when I spotted the problem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Surely you have to be actively trying to gently caress up a simple etherchannel that badly?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I heard that if you say "vacation" three times while standing in a server room you'll get a ticket with all the fields full of blood. :ohdear:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

:spooky:

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

Mo_Steel posted:

I heard that if you say "vacation" three times while standing in a server room you'll get a ticket with all the fields full of blood. :ohdear:

Two weeks ago I began my first annual leave in a year. We have been down on staff to the point that it has been impossible for us to take extended time off. Four months ago I took on the position of team leader, and while this has meant a much more 9 to 5 arrangement, those hours are FULL of work, rather than taking most of a day off then doing a midnight server patch for example.

Two days into my leave I got the most debilitating virus possible, followed by a lung infection followed by I don't even know I'm in the waiting room now.

My point is don't bother with vacation, it might kill you.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
user walks over to my cube.
"maps aren't woking on my computer. I tried google, I tried mapquest, I tried different browsers, nothing is working."
Teamviewer into his computer. Use the already open new tab tab to maps.google.com. loads fine.
Motion him to look over my shoulder. "this is on your computer." "what do you mean on my...[walks the 2 cubes over to look back at his screen] oh"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MJP posted:

BTW, they still haven't figured out why disabling or changing my domain admin PW at the last job completely fucks over the desktop environment. I can still log in with it. :stare:

:psyduck:

pixaal posted:

At my last job the IT department got moved into their own building. I worked for a city, it was an old building that the city owned and everyone was convinced the place was haunted and no other department wanted it. So we moved in and the basement was really creepy there was a hallway that went for about a half mile to a dead end with a door to the left. If you opened the door it had 3 deadbolts on the inside a chair and a single light just hanging there. The wall inside this room was smashed in enough for someone to get in, there was a room that was lined with shelves with no other way anyone can find out how to get in except this odd hole. In the center where there were no shelves was an old printing press.

Across from the door was a fake wood paneled wall that if you pushed it aside you got a really long tunnel. We once walked a mile in a straight line before turning around because it didn't look like it was going to end. I have no idea where it goes and no one else in the city knew it even existed. That basement was creepy as poo poo. The tunnel to nowhere we walked about 10 minutes into it and just put the Pentium 2-4s that my boss wouldn't let us get rid off and when we offered to donate to citizens without computers, we got them back because who wants a Pentium 2 in 2014?

That actually sounds cool as hell, albeit creepy, and like a neat thing to explore as long as you bring respirators, radios, and a lot of flashlight batteries. It's probably a remnant of either civil defense, steam tunnels from a central steam system (were there steam pipes?), a vastly larger connected complex (some cities used to have underground tunnels connecting buildings if the weather could get really awful outside), etc.

I'm guessing the room had a printing press there because no one wanted to bother with disassembling it, so they just left it in situ. Why the room got walled off is another question, along with the deadbolts.

Also, I'd love to know what the next guy who discovers those pentium 2s thinks.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I was doing a server rack move to a new office, total reassembly. I was also installing a brand new replacement firewall at the same time because, against my recommendation, the client didn't want any additional downtime before they moved offices.

I brought the virtual server environment up in the new location and, hauntingly, every server took a 169.254 address even though they were configured for static. I fired up the dhcp server, also 169.254. Put it back on it's static, reboot, quoth the server "169.254".

Midnight rang as I creeped to the new firewall dashboard and logged in. Every IP phone had all been plugged in, and they were talking online. I slowly clicked through the config pages when I saw it;

I left dhcp enabled.

DIS OFF REQ ACK!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Aunt Beth posted:

Did you get a root cause for the failure in the first place? Sorry if you already mentioned, I can't remember.

Nope, we still have no idea. A new sever is on is way and I assume we'll have Dell out to look at the old one, just haven't had a chance to do it while we were preoccupied with getting everything back online.

:iiam:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The contract is sealed...

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We have a branch in a really old building, I'm not really sure on the age, some of it looks really old. The main floor and up are all ok, beyond the really rustic decor. The basement however, is pretty odd. The branch uses the basement as storage now, and we have a small side room for out network equipment. Years ago when we acquired the company there, a coworker and I were onsite getting equipment going. The demarc wasn't near our equipment, so we had to explore to find it.

There was a large metal door at one end, when we went through we found their old boiler, then a empty room of to the side that smelled like a sewer and then a large work area full of tools. While waiting on AT&T, we poked around, found even more piles of junk. I went down a hallway, found a couple of locked doors and a room that was empty except a really old school desk in the middle of the room. Kinda got a Silent Hill/Session 9 vibe for a bit, then left.

We got our work done, and before we left the building, we asked the manager what the deal with shop downstairs was. She mentioned that years ago the building had a facilities guy who used to work down there, but had stopped working a few years back. Coworker mentioned that some of the things looked like they'd been used somewhat recently. The manager got a strange look on her face, and left to make some calls. We left town and got home a few hours later.

Coworker had a voice mail from the manager saying that they'd gone down to the basement and looked around, and found out the maintenance guy had made himself a little apartment down there. He was harmless and just spent time there when he had been drinking too much to drive home. They booted him out and decided now was a good time to update all the door locks.

Its probably a good thing we found all that instead of auditors, I think they frown on things like that.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Do we have a 911 horror thread? I kinda want to hear Dick Trauma's stories from that job.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Do we have a 911 horror thread? I kinda want to hear Dick Trauma's stories from that job.

A couple that might apply, but I lost track of them a while back. Maybe someone else can post a link or 2.

Might also check in the Goon Doctor subforum.

E: The EMS Megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482179

The Healthcare stories thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469571

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Potato Alley posted:

Printers.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Triggered

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

A friend of mine had an old P2 300mhz POS. It did a weird thing where if you started it up normally, it would freeze loading windows 98. If you started it with a blank floppy in the drive, let it fail to boot from the floppy, ejected it and had it resume boot, windows would load just fine. Nobody's ever had a good explanation for it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sirotan posted:

$15,000 later we got all our data back. I've worked almost 60 hours this week and my boss pulled two 40-hour days.

114 open tickets :(
Now build a $15k redundant offline backup system.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"$15k for backups! We don't need that sort of thing!"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Good Idea: An off-site disaster recovery site, in a datacenter several states away, with a fat 10G pipe in between

Bad Idea: A firewall at the DR datacenter with a 1G bottleneck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does it even need a firewall if it's a private link between your office and the datacenter?

• Locked thread