Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Chiefs should at least grab RG3 and see if they can fix him for, say, the 2017 season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Yeah that's a bummer because he's put this team on his back many times and eeked out wins.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
The Chiefs need to develop a QB. Draft one. THen if he sucks draft another one.

Keep doing that until you find a franchise QB. Retreads from other teams haven't worked for the last 32 years and aren't going to work in the future.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

The Chiefs need to develop a QB. Draft one. THen if he sucks draft another one.

Keep doing that until you find a franchise QB. Retreads from other teams haven't worked for the last 32 years and aren't going to work in the future.

Uh Trent Green was pretty good

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Oh yeah what about Aaron Murray, Tyler Bray and uh, Ricky Stanzi

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

NC-17 posted:

All these guys are demonstrably worse than Smith.

The answer is nobody. There isnt a backup or bottom 10 starters at QB that you should take over Alex Smith.

Should they have taken Bridgewater? Yeeep Should they trade anything for a bottom rung QB? Hell no.

Ride out the Alex Smith train untill you can draft something good.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Same old Chiefs. All the talent in the world and still collapse in crucial moments. It's like the 90's only without the economic stablity, general happiness, and the innocence of childhood.

Imagine if that we had just coasted to a 12-4 record with the #2 seed and it was a divisional playoff game. It would be peak Chiefs football.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Pron on VHS posted:

Chiefs should at least grab RG3 and see if they can fix him for, say, the 2017 season

RG3's career legit bums me out.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
But in all seriousness folks, ha ha, folks, uh, folks...

Mett isn't that great.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

NC-17 posted:

Who are these quarterbacks better than Smith that aren't starting in the NFL?

Matt Moore
Jimmy Garroppolo
E.J. Manuel
Derek Anderson
Mike Glennon
Chase Daniel and probably Tyler Bray one day
Brock Osweiler
Austin Davis
Ryan Mallett
Brian Hoyer
T.J. Yates
RGII or Cousins
Tavaris Jackson

and on and on and on. These dudes aren't necessarily good, but they'll come cheaper than two seconds and $68 mill. They'll be able to play at a level equal to or above Smith's dismal ability. Not all would be permanent or would even last the whole season. But they would be able to do just the same as Smith if not better. Maybe they don't have a terribly obvious flaw like Smith does. gently caress I'd just take half of these dudes on the chance that they're better than Smith.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Intruder posted:

Case Keenum if you want a guy with a Brett Favre mentality but without the arm or accuracy

You mean the guy riding a 2 game winning streak? :smug:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

NC-17 posted:

I want to know what Parm and the other Smith haters would like the Chiefs to do to fix the quarterback position. It seems like the options are basically:

- Trade a whole draft (and possible more) for a shot at a top pick and hope he doesn't bust.
- Find a better quarterback in free agency (tip: there are none better than Smith) .

Straight up, even if you accept the premise that Smith is holding Kansas City back, thinking the team would be any better with Daniel starting is delusional. Advocating for Daniel to get an extension while the Chiefs train up a drafted QB is even crazier. Chase Daniel has proven nothing at the NFL level, ever.

Parmesan Basil posted:

Matt Moore
Jimmy Garroppolo
E.J. Manuel
Derek Anderson
Mike Glennon
Brock Osweiler
Austin Davis
Ryan Mallett
Brian Hoyer
T.J. Yates
RGII or Cousins
Tavaris Jackson

The only one of these guys I could even kind of see giving an opportunity over Smith is Glennon, because he's young and there were at least glimpses of potential. Guys like Moore and Hoyer haven't been able to hold on to starting jobs for a reason. And have you ever even seen TJ Yates or Kirk Cousins play football?

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 19, 2015

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I'm still keeping good to my word and finishing my last year of goodwill with Smith but so far he's proving all his detractors right and gaining more by the day, especially among casual Chiefs fans. It all started after that pitiful 2 minute drive in Arizona last year and has been picking up steam ever since. Even my facebook feed, the KC subreddit, and some of the Sunshine Peddlers™ on Arrowheadpride are starting to turn.

Edit: Parm called it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Athanatos posted:

The answer is nobody. There isnt a backup or bottom 10 starters at QB that you should take over Alex Smith.

Should they have taken Bridgewater? Yeeep Should they trade anything for a bottom rung QB? Hell no.

Ride out the Alex Smith train untill you can draft something good.

Bridgewater has not proven anything yet.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Parmesan Basil posted:

Matt Moore
Jimmy Garroppolo
E.J. Manuel
Derek Anderson
Mike Glennon
Brock Osweiler
Austin Davis
Ryan Mallett
Brian Hoyer
T.J. Yates
RGII or Cousins
Tavaris Jackson

cool list of quarterbacks worse than Alex Smith

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Non-broken RG3 and TJax, maybe.

Everyone else, LOL.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

What about Brandon Weedahahahah I can't even get it out

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Metapod posted:

Uh Trent Green was pretty good

He was but how many playoff games did he win as a Chief?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pron on VHS posted:

Oh yeah what about Aaron Murray, Tyler Bray and uh, Ricky Stanzi

none of them have won a regular season game as a starter.

I said it earlier, but the last QB drafted by the Chiefs who has won a regular season game as a starter is Todd Blackledge who was drafted in 1983

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
seems like the only option is to enter the tank competition to get cardale, then at least the chiefs will have someone with an arm

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

He was but how many playoff games did he win as a Chief?

Irrelevant because that was more on the defense than the offense

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Basically I'm just done with Smith. We've seen the best he has to offer and he'll never hit those highs again.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

spacemang_spliff posted:

Here's a list of "retreads" or free agents who have brought their teams to Super Bowls just since 2000. On top of this there have been plenty of QB's who moved to new teams and had post season success (hello Favre, Manning, etc).

Drew Brees
Kurt Warner on Cardinals
Matt Hasselbeck
Jake Delhomme
Rich Gannon
Brad Johnson
Kurt Warner on Rams
Trend Dilfer

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 19, 2015

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

NC-17 posted:

Here's a list of "retreads" or free agents who have brought their teams to Super Bowls just since 2000. On top of this there have been plenty of QB's who moved to new teams and had post season success (hello Favre, Manning, etc).

Drew Brees
Kurt Warner on Cardinals
Matt Hasselbeck
Jake Delhomme
Rich Gannon
Brad Johnson
Kurt Warner on Rams
Trend Dilfer

And that's happened for the Chiefs once in the past 20 years with Joe Montana

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Metapod posted:

Irrelevant because that was more on the defense than the offense

He played 6 seasons for the Chiefs and won 0 playoff games.

And hell he's probably the best QB they had since Montana

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

He played 6 seasons for the Chiefs and won 0 playoff games.

And hell he's probably the best QB they had since Montana

Once again the chiefs defense was not good which is a pretty important component if you want to win playoff games

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Metapod posted:

Once again the chiefs defense was not good which is a pretty important component if you want to win playoff games

What about 2006?

What about every other year since 1994?

QB is the single most important component if you want to win playoff games. Alex Smith is not the answer. A falling apart RG3 isn't going to be the answer. Brodie Croyle wasn't the answer (but at least he was drafted by KC and then started). Tyler Bray sure as poo poo isn't the answer

Those two wins weren't while they were Chiefs.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

What about 2006?

QB is the single most important component if you want to win playoff games. Alex Smith is not the answer. A falling apart RG3 isn't going to be the answer. Brodie Croyle wasn't the answer (but at least he was drafted by KC and then started). Tyler Bray sure as poo poo isn't the answer

No Houston or Super Bowl Winning QB David Carr

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

spacemang_spliff posted:

What about 2006?

I feel like the Packers shouldn't be that high since they were bad in the 80s and shouldn't get any of the wins from the Favre era

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Ross Angeles posted:

I feel like the Packers shouldn't be that high since they were bad in the 80s and shouldn't get any of the wins from the Favre era

It looks like Atlanta got all his wins, which makes sense based on the premise of the chart

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Ross Angeles posted:

atlanta got all the wins.

green bay drafted hasselbeck who has 80 wins, rodgers who has over 100, the majik man who had ~20ish, plus some others in the mix

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

TubeStank posted:

green bay drafted hasselbeck who has 80 wins, rodgers who has over 100, the majik man who had ~20ish, plus some others in the mix

Matt Flynn is the gift who just keeps on giving.

Also did Brian Brohm ever win any games in Buffalo?

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

TubeStank posted:

Matt Flynn has 3 ;)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

OxySnake posted:

Matt Flynn is the gift who just keeps on giving.

Also did Brian Brohm ever win any games in Buffalo?

haha, nope!

he also has never won a game in the cfl!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Petite Dinklage posted:

Matt Flynn has 3 ;)

i was at one of those wins :smuggo:

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

TubeStank posted:

i was at one of those wins :smuggo:

Detroit?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

What about 2006?

2006 green was old and got hurt. The rest of your point is irrelevant because all I'm arguing is that Trent Green was a good QB

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Derek Anderson based on last year and preseason this year would probably start in Houston and Washington.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Metapod posted:

The 2003 Chiefs could have possibly made the Super Bowl if it weren't for Greg Robinson and his poo poo scheme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol at these jabronis listing backup quarterbacks when rex grossman is free

• Locked thread