Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

As long as there aren't any deal-breakers yet to be revealed and it's priced reasonably ($600 or less) this is definitely going to be my next phone. Also, holy crap the comment section on that video over on Crackberry.com is full of the most delusional fanboys I've seen, fully convinced that there will be a surprise BB10-only version of the phone or that the phone is really running BB10 with better Android emulation or something (despite the Play Store being prominently displayed in all of the leaks so far). :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Mr.Radar posted:

As long as there aren't any deal-breakers yet to be revealed and it's priced reasonably ($600 or less) this is definitely going to be my next phone. Also, holy crap the comment section on that video over on Crackberry.com is full of the most delusional fanboys I've seen, fully convinced that there will be a surprise BB10-only version of the phone or that the phone is really running BB10 with better Android emulation or something (despite the Play Store being prominently displayed in all of the leaks so far). :psyduck:

BB fanboys make Apple/Android fanboys look like reasonable, intelligent, and sane individuals.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Has anyone had an issue with the latest Hangouts where when you send a message it take a a while to show up in the message thread?

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Yeah, I've had the same experience with Hangouts lately.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I use hangouts regularly so can't really switch off the app, but yeah it's been buggy as gently caress recently.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Super annoying considering one of the biggest features of the new Hangouts was speed. Do we have a Google emote yet in the vein of :dice: or :pgi:

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
So, I have a nexus 6 and I just got an update pushed the other day. Since then, wireless has just been loving broke. When I leave my house, it won't find the network when I come back. In fact, it doesn't see ANY networks anymore. Switching the wireless on and off shows nothing - sometimes the screen with the text talking about wireless won't go away, and sometimes the screen stays blank no matter what. It's really loving weird and coincides directly with this latest security push. Anyone seen this or know what is going on before I call google?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Has anyone had an issue with the latest Hangouts where when you send a message it take a a while to show up in the message thread?
I had that but it worked itself out when Google Play Services updated.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Yep, routinely. Use the Up button to go back to the message list and the last message you sent is listed as the last message in the thread but it won't show up until then.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I'm having issues with my camera on my Turbo. Twist to capture sometimes won't open my camera at all, I'll get an error message saying the camera is busy and to try again and then restart if it still doesn't work. When it does pull up the camera it'll only pull up the front facing camera. If I close out of that and open up the camera app it also opens the front facing camera and I cannot switch to the regular camera. There's no button, period.

I've cleared app data on camera, force stopped it, restarted a million times, no luck. Not finding anything on Google. Help?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If a factory reset doesn't restore function, then my guess is the camera module must have gone bad.

All Turbos are still under warranty, so I would just do a warranty replacement.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

bull3964 posted:

If a factory reset doesn't restore function, then my guess is the camera module must have gone bad.

All Turbos are still under warranty, so I would just do a warranty replacement.

I just got this Turbo after taking advantage of the screen replacement thing too, dangit. I'll try a factory reset and see what happens. The error also mentions disabling Trusted Face which I did, but I'm not sure if any other smart lock setting could be contributing.

If I end up needing a replacement, do I just take it to a Verizon Store?

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 18, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

If I end up needing a replacement, do I just take it to a Verizon Store?

I'm honestly not sure if it would be easier to deal with Verizon or Moto directly.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Mr.Radar posted:

Yeah me too, the video makes me want it even more. The only potential "deal breaker" I could see is no fingerprint reader, since that's obviously a big part of M, but I'm not convinced how useful it really is. I had an iPhone for a little while when they first implemented it and other than being more convenient to unlock/buy from the app store ( which is not an issue with Android since I have it so it doesn't prompt me on the rare occasions I actually buy an app ), I'm not convinced fingerprints are a very good security option.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has anyone else had several of their Google apps update multiple times in the last few days? I just received updates for Sheets, Docs, Wallet, and Photos, and I'm positive at least 3 of those updated recently. Of course, their change logs are not helpful.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Has anyone else had several of their Google apps update multiple times in the last few days? I just received updates for Sheets, Docs, Wallet, and Photos, and I'm positive at least 3 of those updated recently. Of course, their change logs are not helpful.

Google updates their apps on Wednesdays and always with a staggered rollout. It's not inconceivable that one could be in the latter part of one rollout and the early part of a subsequent rollout and see updates fairly close together (think one or two weeks).

There have been two recent updates to the Drive suite of apps within the last month.

FYI Android Police always mentions when these apps get updated.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Thanks for updating google wallet to android pay on my 6 preview N5, google. I'm sure I'll be able to enjoy it once its compatible.
Except when its compatible I'll be using a 5X, not this N5.
:argh:

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

bull3964 posted:

I'm honestly not sure if it would be easier to deal with Verizon or Moto directly.

After chatting with a Moto Support person online for a few minutes I have a replacement on the way.

I'm sure the Verizon store would have found a way to make it more painful.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

29th event is official.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/18/google-september-29th/

"some tasty new treats and much s'more" 

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

bull3964 posted:

"some tasty new treats and much s'more" 

Tasty treats?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQzVpZIiyt4

:ohdear:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

You certainly aren't in any danger!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
But it's the implication!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Now we'll see if Marshmallow comes quickly enough to justify this purchase. Many Bothans died to bring me this Moto X Pure

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 20, 2018

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Has the LMY48M update hosed anyone else's Nexus 5 up? It seems to have brought the old memory leak back for me.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Rusty! posted:

Has the LMY48M update hosed anyone else's Nexus 5 up? It seems to have brought the old memory leak back for me.

No, works fine for me, and feels snappier if anything.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Dammit.

I've only recently wiped as well. Might just roll back a bit and see if it's still poo poo.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Not a Nexus 5, but no issues with it on my Nexus 6 either.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
My nexus 6 has felt like dogshit since the security update. Wifi disconnecting all the time, super laggy returning to home screen.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

http://9to5google.com/2015/09/18/google-event-september-29/

:woop:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

I'm honestly more excited for the new Chromecast(s) than anything else.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm honestly more excited for the new Chromecast(s) than anything else.

Maybe they can convince Hulu to update the app so it no longer sucks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

BigBoss posted:

Maybe they can convince Hulu to update the app so it no longer sucks.

Don't get hulu in Canada so I will cross my fingers for your sake!!!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Remember a few years ago when credible rumors stated the Nexus 6 (or maybe it was the 5?) was going to be the last Nexus and they were going to stop doing the program after that? And now there's going to be two.

edit: I suppose the N5 was the end of end of subsidized Nexus devices though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Remember a few years ago when credible rumors stated the Nexus 6 (or maybe it was the 5?) was going to be the last Nexus and they were going to stop doing the program after that? And now there's going to be two.

edit: I suppose the N5 was the end of end of subsidized Nexus devices though.

You could buy Nexus 6 on contract from carriers.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

CLAM DOWN posted:

Don't get hulu in Canada so I will cross my fingers for your sake!!!

Bless u.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

You could buy Nexus 6 on contract from carriers.

I'm guessing he meant heavily subsidized when buying from Google.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Email from Sony:

quote:

Software update available for your Xperia Z3 Compact
There is a software update (v. 23.4.A.1.200) available for your device. Perform a software update and enjoy new features, better performance, speed and bug fixes. You can update the software today using your computer or wait until it’s available directly in your device (often within a couple of days). It's easy and no backup is needed.

I'm assuming it's the Stagefright fix.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Email from Sony:

I'm assuming it's the Stagefright fix.

From what I read on XDA, the .580 release came with a fix for 5/6 libraries. The partial StageFright fix in .580 was extracted from the actual release and packed into a flashable zip, but it doesn't fix the vulnerability completely so who gives a gently caress. I also read that the .200 release is actually a step backwards, with 0/6 patched, but a bunch of other unrelated bug fixes.

"Source":
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3177351

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Do you guys have any tips for speeding up a Samsung Galaxy Alpha? It's been a little slow lately. I clear my running applications very often.