Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

How shiny were her fingernails

I didn't happen to notice, why do you ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

bringmyfishback posted:

My great-uncle's name was Constantine, but he was old crazy Greek man. Oh, I should probably mention that this Constantine is a girl.

I have a female cousin called Constantine. Her sisters are called Corinth and Corentine (which I think is a rather nice name, but it sounds unfortunately similar to the word 'quarantine'.)

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

I didn't happen to notice, why do you ask?

You did at least notice how dark her voice was, right?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Istari posted:

I have a female cousin called Constantine. Her sisters are called Corinth and Corentine (which I think is a rather nice name, but it sounds unfortunately similar to the word 'quarantine'.)

Are they named after the letters, the pillars, the leather, the place, or the mode of behavior?

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010
Caviar and Champagne, they where brother and sister. Don't recall which was which, my mom is a teacher so I hear lots of werid names. One year she had Buick, Mercades, and Volvo. OH plus a girl named Belladonna, poison plants are 100% what you'd want to name your kid after. I really wish I could think of some more....

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Well, Belladonna also means "Beautiful Lady" and is where the plant's name is from, so I don't see a problem with that one.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The ladies would put drops of it in their eyes to make them all dilated and bedroom-y :eng101:. The name sort of goes both ways.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Mercedes by itself isn't a terrible name either. Uncommon as hell? Certainly, but it's not terrible. Now if Buick and Volvo were siblings, then it's kinda terrible.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Mercedes is a perfectly normal girl's name in many parts of the world and the car company was named after the founderAustrian diplomat, racing enthusiast, and car salesman Emil Jellinek's daughter.

E: The company was Daimler-Motoren-Gruppe before that and the first Mercedes was an engine officially named after Mercedes Jellinek, in a series of dedicated sports cars her father commissioned from DMG.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 12:45 on Sep 15, 2015

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
There's a politician in Australia with the surname Goodenough.

canis minor posted:

Are they named after the letters, the pillars, the leather, the place, or the mode of behavior?

They're not named after anything; their parents just liked the sounds.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Got an email at work today from a Dr. Steve Holt. I had a good chuckle.

Bumblefuck!
Jan 20, 2007

In college, one of my RAs was named Zebulon Croll. Last I checked, he has yet to become a sci-fi villain, but I'm still hoping.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
Jazz'shray. :shrug:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Found the father.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

My sister is a Kindergarten teacher and this year she has a student with the name Dacoolest, because he's "The coolest kid around"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

bobjr posted:

My sister is a Kindergarten teacher and this year she has a student with the name Dacoolest, because he's "The coolest kid around"

To be fair, that is pretty rad.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

bobjr posted:

That's superb.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"because it's different" :groans:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I'm a preschool teacher and can confirm that while for the last few years the name trend has been [name]-Mae, this year it's Lilly[name] or [name]-Lilly. Two L's.

Got the jackpot with a kid called Lillymae.

Also in my class: Rafferty. And for some reason a bunch of kids called Ethan, which is not a name you expect a small child to have.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Ethan is a pretty rad name.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

eating only apples posted:

I'm a preschool teacher and can confirm that while for the last few years the name trend has been [name]-Mae, this year it's Lilly[name] or [name]-Lilly. Two L's.

Got the jackpot with a kid called Lillymae.

Also in my class: Rafferty. And for some reason a bunch of kids called Ethan, which is not a name you expect a small child to have.

I'm a Lily and kind of sad that my name is becoming more common, I liked it being fairly unusual. Also I don't like the double-L spelling, it just looks wrong to me, or like the old-lady version of the name.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Kierena posted:

OH plus a girl named Belladonna, poison plants are 100% what you'd want to name your kid after. I really wish I could think of some more....

Gonna call my kid Giant Hogweed.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
I present to you one David Dootson.

Doot doot, son. Doot doot.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Naming a child 'Punched' is just asking for trouble.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doctor Bishop posted:

I present to you one David Dootson.

Doot doot, son. Doot doot.

His father was Doot.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Whitegirl name spotted in the wild today: Jonae, pronounced: jaw-nay

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Me, Myself and Irene just came on Comedy Central and reminded me one of the actresses in that is named Traylor Howard (she was also in like 5 reasons of Monk, and was the "girl" in Two Guys and a Girl.)

I figured it was something like "I like Taylor but let's make it unique!" but Wikipedia says it was her mother's maiden name,

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Aphrodite posted:

Me, Myself and Irene just came on Comedy Central and reminded me one of the actresses in that is named Traylor Howard (she was also in like 5 reasons of Monk, and was the "girl" in Two Guys and a Girl.)

I figured it was something like "I like Taylor but let's make it unique!" but Wikipedia says it was her mother's maiden name,

It's sort of like Miller or Hunter or Brewer, except it's for people who cook meth in their trailer parks

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Unless I misheard, there was a customer at work today whose daughter is called Nylon.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just found an article by one Stephanie Butts.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I just found an article by one Stephanie Butts.

At least it wasn't Seymour.

Vaalrn
Jul 7, 2015
I work for a school district, and two stick out to me a lot.

Sir-Prince for the first name of this one kid

MyUnique for the other kid.

The only other odd one I've come across is a kid named Duckie Swimmer. So.. yeah

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I have a class with a guy from some African country, I forget which, but his name is SerBryan. Spelled exactly that way, too.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

After I saw Matt Braunger's Eggly Bagelface bit, I checked the white pages and found him for myself. The online version gives the option to list people in order of their first names. I've compiled a list of the best egg-related names I've discovered so far:

• Egger Eggers
  • Egghead Engle
  • Eggland Evans
  • Eggly Bagelface
  • Eggman Tang
  • Eggo Szeredy
  • Eggroll Isidore
  • Eggs Benedict
  • Eggsman Head
  • Eggy Grosschmidt

If you don't believe me you can look it up yourself.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Clochette posted:

[list]
[*]Eggs Benedict

I'm pretty sure this one is in name of the year. But evidently there should be another bracket for egg names of the decade.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I'm honestly surprised not to find an Eggie Gizzard :downsrim:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Eggman Tang sounds like the coolest Chinese gangster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Vanderdeath posted:

Eggman Tang sounds like the coolest Chinese gangster.

Or a Sonic soda