Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i want more seasons but only if they're as ambitious and take as many chances as the first two and the movie. which would never happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

A theme I noticed in season 1 was Haruhi searching for recognition - from Kyon in particular, but also from the world generally, as seen in Live Alive. It feels a bit like the movie has a lot to do with Yuki's seeking recognition also. Or maybe that's not the right way to put it, but Kyon realizes what she might be feeling and speaks to her more emotionally than he usually does on the hospital roof.

Definitely agreed. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Haruhi isn't an extremely important character in the events of the movie, but the movie's clearly not about her the way S1 was, and it's definitely not about Koizumi or Mikuru. It's about Kyon, then Yuki just behind him.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Radio Spiricom posted:

i want more seasons but only if they're as ambitious and take as many chances as the first two and the movie. which would never happen

I really want to know what happened behind to scenes to make Kyo Ani such a boring studio after Nichijou was finished

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training posted:

I really want to know what happened behind to scenes to make Kyo Ani such a boring studio after Nichijou was finished

they got a truckload of money from haruhi... then nichijou didn't sell

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Allarion posted:

It's somewhat vague to be honest. Like I said, Itsuki has another of his fun speculations about it. He's also gotten into the habit of drawing diagrams for everything now.

Goddamn it. I guess I should just read the books. But I guess they're never going to finish up either!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Radio Spiricom posted:

Well, S3 would be a big time loop with some fun SOS brigade activities, as well as returning to Disappearance for Kyon to do his thing there. S4 would be the real ballsy season though I would imagine.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I guess this is a good time to ask: what are some anime that are comparable to this show, in terms of ambition? What should I watch if I want something that pushes boundaries to the same degree as Endless Eight, for example?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

I guess this is a good time to ask: what are some anime that are comparable to this show, in terms of ambition? What should I watch if I want something that pushes boundaries to the same degree as Endless Eight, for example?

Have you seen Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

In Training posted:

Have you seen Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Yes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

...gently caress, man, I don't know that you're gonna find much. I mean, we've got an Evangelion simulwatch coming up and that's probably up there in terms of ambition, but execution? I dunno. Certainly not budget or animation quality, though the shot composition tries its damnedest. Just a warning, if you don't know much about the show. It's, uh...not quite as theraputic to watch as Haruhi.

Edit: Beaten.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

In Training posted:

I agree with you about a lot of things, but this is a bad opinion

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Puella Magi Madoka Magica, while not as radical in the most of its run time, basically divorces from the original writer for a film sequel and it's quite insane.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

eva, utena, monogatari, any of masaaki yuasa's shows

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

VostokProgram posted:

I'm tempted to say Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

it's not really "ambitious" but shaft plays around with a loooot of animation styles in sayonara zetsubou sensei

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Most suggestions would be formally strange works, while nothing approaches Haruhi on sheer courage of production. It's a rare breed that something so so popular manages to be so bizarre.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Utena is probably the closest though. Besides Eva.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Something I wanted to bring up about the movie poster yesterday:

Both Yuki and Haruhi are kind of leering at each-other from the same relative, but opposite position: immediately adjacent to Kyon, the one at the centre of the plot of Disappearance, and the one ultimately gifted with the power of choice as to which side he would like to stay with.

How is it that 3 faces in the poster tell the plot of the movie? Well, Haruhi and Yuki in it both could be said to represent one of the possible realities of Disappearance in that poster, which would leave Kyon.

Who is looking right at Haruhi in that poster.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

madoka doesn't really reach the same level of any of the above in the series alone but it borrows heavily from most of them and is pretty solid nonetheless. the third movie is absolutely worth watching the series or the compilation movies for tho

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Parallax posted:

I agree with you about a lot of things, but this is a bad opinion

I think it's fair to say they've never shown the same creative spark since 2011.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training posted:

I think it's fair to say they've never shown the same creative spark since 2011.

it is. the shows remain well animated but they are definitely lacking compared to what we just watched

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I mean they're oeuvre since has been

Free - fan service bait
Hyouka - beautiful but ultimately safe little story
Chuunibyou - everything Haruhi was designed to criticize
Amagi - same but with more fan service
That terrible action show that I couldn't even finish the first episode of
Sound Euphonium - boring

Hyouka was good but nothing approaching their Haruhi/Lucky Star/K-On/Nichijou years, and now they just adapt the light novels they publish themselves. Very sad fall from grace

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

In Training posted:

I'd argue it's more the source material they have or choose to work with, because their animation is still top notch. Haruhi just happened to be a weird enough series that they went crazy with it.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

excel saga does some similar things with using anime tropes as a way to undermine them that haruhi does but it plays it for straight comedic effect rather than the hellscape haruhi paints

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Allarion posted:

I'd argue it's more the source material they have or choose to work with, because their animation is still top notch. Haruhi just happened to be a weird enough series that they went crazy with it.

Yeah. It's not like pre-Haruhi was all roses...Air, Clannad and Kanon are all kind of terrible

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

In Training posted:

Euphonium is probably the best anime this year and is up there with their other best stuff. people really like Hyouka, too, but I haven't seen it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Parallax posted:

Euphonium is probably the best anime this year and is up there with their other best stuff. people really like Hyouka, too, but I haven't seen it

Hyouka is very cool, if you liked Euphonium definitely give it a shot. It's a cool detective show

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I literally played euphonium in a wind band for 8 years, euphonium is fine, but if you think it's on the level with haruhi in this context you're straight up nuts

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Zas posted:

I literally played euphonium in a wind band for 8 years, euphonium is fine, but if you think it's on the level with haruhi in this context you're straight up nuts

i don't think euphonium tried to do the same thing haruhi tried, but for what it did it excelled at. i'd go as far as saying the character animation in euphonium is better than haruhi

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Parallax posted:

i don't think euphonium tried to do the same thing haruhi tried

I thought we were talking about that though? shows like haruhi? maybe I missed a beat

e: I mean there's already a big old thread to debate kyoani shows in

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'd say Hyouka could probably be thrown in there with the rest of Kyoani's great shows. As for what happened, boatloads of money with consistency that you'd never get taking risks probably sums up their refusal to move out of their comfort zone.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Listening to the credits song again. I loving love that there's no backing at all, just Chihara soloing so deliberately and leaving so much negative space in the music. Even the tiny little stylistic choices in this series are loving ballsy.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Zas posted:

I thought we were talking about that though? shows like haruhi? maybe I missed a beat

i was kinda referring to in training saying that kyoani past 2011 is boring. honestly i don't think anything they did is on the same "level" as haruhi, even with stuff like nichijou or k-on. and i still like nichijou better than anything

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Parallax posted:

i was kinda referring to in training saying that kyoani past 2011 is boring. honestly i don't think anything they did is on the same "level" as haruhi, even with stuff like nichijou or k-on. and i still like nichijou better than anything

I'd call nichijou pretty ambitious, granted it's an entirely different kind of ambition

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Parallax posted:

i don't think euphonium tried to do the same thing haruhi tried, but for what it did it excelled at. i'd go as far as saying the character animation in euphonium is better than haruhi

Oh I don't think that could possibly be in dispute, could it? Euphonium wasn't a particularly audacious show, but it was undeniably beautiful.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i'm going to watch beyond the boundary because it looks ridiculous and because people seem to hate it. i have only watched hyouka of post-nichijou shows and it was really pretty but it's still nowhere near the 2006-2011 stretch on anything but a technical level

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
God that was so good. Haruhi in 1080p. Not much to say past what's already been said. As promised I'm gonna gush about the whole sequence where Kyon tracks down Haruhi (and Koizumi). It's just such an incredible moment. We spend like an hour going through chill normal stuff with low-key music and fairly static scenes. Kyon's been broken and has all but accepted that this is his new reality. Then Taniguchi mentions Haruhi and Kyon himself almost didn't believe what he just heard. The music swells up for the first time in the whole film, and Kyon finally gets a grasp on that small bit of hope that he can maybe go back. That scene has always suck with me, it's like a lightning strike.

In general I am in love with the music direction. Super chill music most of the time, and it's not afraid to use silence for dramatic effect. It's something I wish more shows were good at instead of assigning theme_of_love.mp3 to every single dramatic scene. (I remember Kimi ni Todoke being good at this too).

In the end, this is one of the all time great anime films. I think it's only flaw is basically requiring previous knowledge from the show or books to really get the most out of it.

Also, gif lords please gif that awkward waitress cleaning the table around 1:22:00. I'll probably do it tomorrow because it was good. Lots of great background characters doing stuff throughout, actually.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

starting to collect some screens....

I'd do gifs but of course I wanna see what linnaeus has cooking first

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

• Locked thread