Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Open World Robocop would be neat if done correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Segmentation Fault posted:

For sure. Detroit's a big place (roughly 142 square miles, and that's just the city, not the metro area). Doing an open world game here would be fantastic, because there's a surprising amount of setting diversity here. I just published a pen and paper RPG set here, and the setting (the city/metro area) lends itself to some really good storytelling.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

There was a sorta/kinda open world Bladerunner game released in the late 90s, it was pretty cool.

I dunno man it was a fun game but by that definition every adventure game is "open world."

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I dunno man it was a fun game but by that definition every adventure game is "open world."

It's been forever since I played it, so I might be mis-remembering things. Weren't you given the replicant case then just let loose in their version of future-LA to pursue other cases/dick around/shoot assholes/etc while pursuing the main case? Am I thinking about something else? poo poo, GOG needs to release that game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Segmentation Fault posted:

It would be awesome to gradually clean up the streets of Detroit. Imagine if there was a system kind of like Shadows of Mordor/Crackdown/Mad Max where you gradually reduced different types of crime in parts of the city until it became a safe place to live.

You could also have it that the local police become more effective depending on what you take out. So you could have a dynamic back and forth thing with the police/crime which is heavily in favour of crime to begin with until you work your way up to destroying the heavy weapons import supply. This gives the cops an edge and lets the push back and take over various [map based outpost/control points] by themselves without you having to babysit/Rambo it all yourself. I guess what i mean is if you mix in a bit of the top level Dynasty warriors map capture thing to help you retake the city.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Kin posted:

It would be awesome to gradually clean up the streets of Detroit. Imagine if there was a system kind of like Shadows of Mordor/Crackdown/Mad Max where you gradually reduced different types of crime in parts of the city until it became a safe place to live.

You could also have it that the local police become more effective depending on what you take out. So you could have a dynamic back and forth thing with the police/crime which is heavily in favour of crime to begin with until you work your way up to destroying the heavy weapons import supply. This gives the cops an edge and lets the push back and take over various [map based outpost/control points] by themselves without you having to babysit/Rambo it all yourself. I guess what i mean is if you mix in a bit of the top level Dynasty warriors map capture thing to help you retake the city.

Sold. That'd be awesome. The strongholds/outposts could be the various police district headquarters throughout the city (we don't really have precincts anymore). Combine it with something like the turf mechanic from San Andreas where, sure, you claim a turf, but eventually assholes from another crew move in to try to take it back. In the Robocop game, you could clear a neighborhood/district, but eventually it'll slide back into chaos if you're not careful/paying attention. poo poo, I want to play this right now.

Plus, there's a lot of opportunity for Mad Max-style driving/vehicle combat in the city.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Kin posted:

I've always wanted a Superman style game like this where Metropolis is his "health" bar, might work in an open-world style game like this.

Also this game is loving gorgeous.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

It's been forever since I played it, so I might be mis-remembering things. Weren't you given the replicant case then just let loose in their version of future-LA to pursue other cases/dick around/shoot assholes/etc while pursuing the main case? Am I thinking about something else? poo poo, GOG needs to release that game.

I mean, you have the opportunity to gently caress around in the shooting gallery or visit your apartment to play with your dog and stuff, but the investigation itself was the only case to solve, although they did have the brilliant idea of randomizing which characters were replicants or humans every time you played.

Gyshall posted:

I've always wanted a Superman style game like this where Metropolis is his "health" bar, might work in an open-world style game like this.

Also this game is loving gorgeous.

Superman Returns literally does exactly this.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Has anyone written a 'Know before I play' for this? I don't have many upgrades and I'm getting wrecked by outposts/convoys/duststorms. I wanna drive round and explore but it seems like a bad idea at the moment because I usually end up killed.

Should I just focus on story missions or go looking for scrap and/or lowering influence in the area?

Also, I only have the level 1 harpoon and there's no shotgun ammo so the only way I can take down pursuers is by harpooning the driver if possible. It's effective but not very dramatic - ramming cars usually gets the Opus so damaged I can't take on another car.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Story mode and missions (they'll be objectives in blue similar to green) unlock stuff, doing random scavenger points and camps will help you earn those unlocks. I'd just get some upgrades and do other stuff if you're having some trouble, and then when you're destroying everything just blaze through the story first and do everything else later.

edit: The way I went through was basically a completionist route up until the second half of the game opened up. Help Jeet as much as possible lowering threat etc, then move on.

edit 2: If you wanna be a dirty cheater like me, you can look up where the parts for particular camp upgrades are and go for those. Survey crew gets your map updated, and Cleanup crew lets you blow up cars and drive away guilt free as their measly 10 scrap is picked up automatically. Those were the only 2 upgrades I found extremely useful that aren't earned easily otherwise during the story.

edit 3: convoy destruction cheese use your shotgun on the fuel truck's tires to quickly disable it, then shoot one of the other convoy vehicle's tires. You can now hop out and snap everybody's neck since the AI always stops their cars to help out their disabled buddy.

texasmed fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 18, 2015

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
One thing that kind of annoyed me that I wish I know was that paint scheme is needed to unlock a archangle for the various Death Races (I thought it was just the required parts). Sooooooo get out there and take down those Top Dog camps.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

texasmed posted:

Story mode and missions (they'll be objectives in blue similar to green) unlock stuff, doing random scavenger points and camps will help you earn those unlocks. I'd just get some upgrades and do other stuff if you're having some trouble, and then when you're destroying everything just blaze through the story first and do everything else later.

edit: The way I went through was basically a completionist route up until the second half of the game opened up. Help Jeet as much as possible lowering threat etc, then move on.

edit 2: If you wanna be a dirty cheater like me, you can look up where the parts for particular camp upgrades are and go for those. Survey crew gets your map updated, and Cleanup crew lets you blow up cars and drive away guilt free as their measly 10 scrap is picked up automatically. Those were the only 2 upgrades I found extremely useful that aren't earned easily otherwise during the story.

By 'second half of the game' is that when you go through the Jaws or is that the end of the game?

texasmed
May 27, 2004

nexus6 posted:

By 'second half of the game' is that when you go through the Jaws or is that the end of the game?

Yeah I'd call going through the Jaw the second half.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I did everything it is possible to do in Mad Max. I'm genuinely sad that it's over. What a great little game. Got my platinum trophy, drove the interceptor out to a headland to take a farewell selfie, then drove out into the Big Nothing until I died before switching off the game.

Bravo Avalanche. Bravo. 90+ hours of magic.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That is a roughly accurate description, however it was definitely standard adventure game fare in that there were specific locations you could travel between (EG: Animoid row, Police HQ, Taffy Lewis' club, etc) by entering your Spinner (a glorified menu) and selecting a destination, you couldn't just roam around as you wish.

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in
Has anyone else been experiencing this glitch in the camera mode? Sometimes when I scroll through the frames the wrong name will be matched up with the wrong frame and it won't give me the option for no frame

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Westwoods Bladerunner was awesome.

https://youtu.be/acBnLMRIAD0
Lots of disk swapping though, I think it came on 6 cds?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Sold. That'd be awesome. The strongholds/outposts could be the various police district headquarters throughout the city (we don't really have precincts anymore). Combine it with something like the turf mechanic from San Andreas where, sure, you claim a turf, but eventually assholes from another crew move in to try to take it back. In the Robocop game, you could clear a neighborhood/district, but eventually it'll slide back into chaos if you're not careful/paying attention. poo poo, I want to play this right now.

Plus, there's a lot of opportunity for Mad Max-style driving/vehicle combat in the city.

Yeah, like I think it would be cool if you weren't playing the AI could be evenly matched on both sides with each side having their equivalent [supply buildings] and they're constantly struggling against each other for complete control.

Obviously for balance and plot purposes the cops would start at a disadvantage, but even after you've helped recapture a district, if you don't then both beef up the defences and take out nearby criminal gangs, the enemy AI builds up an appropriate force to retake it.

Too many games like this rely on you being the 'one true hero' who's the only one to beat anyone, but I'd really like a game like this to have the good AI be able to hold their own against the bad AI as long as you take out the heavy hitters or strategic strengths.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It's Rockstar tab code times, get your hood ornaments here

3J9LHW NJHL79
NJ5PNR 863TP6
W4974M 5LNL3X
PW4WPX 8NVW87
THPHWT 8N9XFC
L2H262 768N4H
8VK8X9 77R99C
RHX53X P47LJV
V8T6XM PVJ3MM

I'm horribly addicted to lovely energy drinks!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

3J9LHW NJHL79

I took this code, thanks!

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I refuse to think this game is anything other than a mad max simulator which gated insanity behind a grind then threw in some plot. And I adore it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CapnAndy posted:

3J9LHW NJHL79
NJ5PNR 863TP6
W4974M 5LNL3X
PW4WPX 8NVW87
THPHWT 8N9XFC
L2H262 768N4H
8VK8X9 77R99C
RHX53X P47LJV
V8T6XM PVJ3MM

Where do you enter a code if you're playing on the Xbox One?

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Thanks, I used L2H262 768N4H

Already used:

PW4WPX 8NVW87
THPHWT 8N9XFC

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

V8T6XM PVJ3MM

Got this one, thanks a lot!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xenomrph posted:

Where do you enter a code if you're playing on the Xbox One?

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.
I couldn't stop taking screenshots in Shadow of Mordor and now it's taking over my life in Mad Max as well, help.

Gonna' take you for a ride...

Chum is okay with this turn of events.

This loving game. :allears:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zarah posted:

I couldn't stop taking screenshots in Shadow of Mordor and now it's taking over my life in Mad Max as well, help.

So is Shadow of Mordor really good? It's currently on sale on Steam and I've really, really enjoyed my time with Mad Max. I'm not a big fan of the LOTR universe, but I'd be willing to ignore that if the game is like Fantasy Mad Max.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
I'd say this game is simple compared to that. The fighting isnt Batman style from what I can remember and you can get into some nasty situations with high level nemesis enemies(who get stronger if you don't beat them).

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.
Mordor has a bit more of a focus on parkour-stealth than Mad Max does, but is otherwise pretty similar. Cars notwithstanding. Combat is still a two-button masher and you get several other toys to play with. And the stealth is often optional anyway. I do kinda feel like you get more tools to mess with orcs than you do with the war boys in Mad Max. Also the nemesis system is pretty neat for what it is, even if it does get a little old after a while.

Mordor isn't perfect, but it's a pretty solid game all-in-all.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

The stealth in Mordor is super, super satisfying I thought. It's combat is also closer to Batman's than this.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
The stealth is literally just a way to terrorise Orcs more :black101:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just did "The Underdunes" mission, holy poo poo. :stare:
That was loving fantastic.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Alright thanks for selling me on Shadow of Mordor, I bought the GOTYE and promptly threw it on the pile of unplayed games of doom.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Alright thanks for selling me on Shadow of Mordor, I bought the GOTYE and promptly threw it on the pile of unplayed games of doom.
Would you say the pile of doom is big enough to be considered a mountain? A mountain of doom? A Mount Doom, if you will?

...I'll be here all night :downsrim:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I haven't played Mad Max but I absolutely recommend Shadows of Mordor. It's fun to kill orcs.

When I first started playing I immediately started a fight with some orcs to roadtest the combat. After a few minutes of killing orcs I looked around a bit and thought "wow, there's quite a lot of orcs here now." I had to kill my way to the edge of the mass of orcs and hightail it outta there.

Internet Alias
Dec 5, 2005
Mirrors are more fun than television.
Add me to the list of people desperate for a new game+ or really just more of this game. Too many car upgrades require reducing threat but reducing threat means there are less targets for my V8 deathmobile.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
How a lot of upgrades are gated really is a problem. I got the best tyres in the game while having yet to meet the requirements for unlocking the second-best tyres.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Gnome de plume posted:

How a lot of upgrades are gated really is a problem. I got the best tyres in the game while having yet to meet the requirements for unlocking the second-best tyres.

I had the same experience with the boarding spikes--I got the last one before the second-to-last. However, with a lot of upgrades, the "final" upgrade isn't necessarily the outright "best", so it doesn't bother me too much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Crappy Jack posted:

Superman Returns literally does exactly this.

And it's teeeerrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Before I played Shadows of Mordor I was super apathetic towards Lord Of The Rings. It hasn't turned me into a massive fan by any means, but it definitely portrays the LoTR universe in a really cool and incredibly fun way that's given me a lot more appreciation for it. While the game's protagonist also suffers from classic WB's Angry White Boring Man syndrome, just like Mad Max it also features a super kickass sidekick wherever you go.

If Mad Max's key selling point is awesome vehicular chaos, Mordor's is sadistic social experimentation. You can get up to some really insidious poo poo in that game and your enemies go from being terrifying threats to devastating playthings. It's definitely a solid game and anyone who enjoyed this will have fun for certain, it's quite a bit deeper than Max.

Max gave me exactly what I wanted: A super satisfying, brutal adventure with a ton of meaty explosions and awesome sound design. I'm genuinely upset there's no NG+ or way to reset convoy routes, as it'd be such a great game to pick up and play a few hours of after work just to get a fix of some carnage on demand. I really hope they add it, no matter how rudimentary it is.

• Locked thread