Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ImpAtom posted:

So the new Shovel Knight expansion came out today and it includes a new boss fight:

Shovel Knight, who has all his abilities from when you play as him. When you defeat him... he wakes up, collects his dropped gold and then hits you and wins the stage. :allears:

loving amazing. That's how you do a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FauxGateau posted:

loving amazing. That's how you do a video game.

You also unlock the ability to go and see the Tropple King later in the game. In addition to giving you unlocks he teaches Plague Knight how to dance. you can press Down at any point to dance.

If you try to dance in front of Mona, who Plague Knight has a crush on, he instead just adopts an embarrassed bashful pose and refuses to dance.

The Plague Knight DLC is legit better than most full games.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Chard posted:

Well if I didn't know that then I'm going to assume Mister Kojima made the same mistake. Anyway, that point aside it's a totally bad-rear end touch that I hope more character creators steal.

Japan has a weird fetish for that. Basically any game that lets you pick eye color will let you pick differently colored eyes if it comes from Japan.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm a little surprised you don't get to choose the avatar's bloodtype, too.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm a little surprised you don't get to choose the avatar's bloodtype, too.

American game developers really need to start adding characters' Myers–Briggs Type if we want to compete with Japan's pseudoscientific personality test bullshit in gaming.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

American game developers really need to start adding characters' Myers–Briggs Type if we want to compete with Japan's pseudoscientific personality test bullshit in gaming.

The hosed up part is that the bloodtype into personality type thing started as this really racist theory on why the Taiwanese were so rebellious and unwilling to accept their obviously superior Japanese conquerors. It got buried after the war, then exploded in the 1970's in a pop-science book written by a journalist.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing Mad Max and while gas is a resource you need for your car to run it thankfully isn't a "videogame" resource where it is constantly draining at a steady clip. Instead it seems to work more like actual gas where you can drive around for quite a while before needing to refuel.

By videogame resource I mean stuff like how flashlights in games are the most inefficient use of batteries ever, where a fresh battery gives you maybe 5 minutes of use before being completely drained.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

muscles like this? posted:

Playing Mad Max and while gas is a resource you need for your car to run it thankfully isn't a "videogame" resource where it is constantly draining at a steady clip. Instead it seems to work more like actual gas where you can drive around for quite a while before needing to refuel.

By videogame resource I mean stuff like how flashlights in games are the most inefficient use of batteries ever, where a fresh battery gives you maybe 5 minutes of use before being completely drained.

I love that when you jump in an enemy car to either use it or take it back to a stronghold, they all have greater or lesser amounts of gas in their tanks. I've jumped in a car far the hell away from somewhere, saw it had less than a quarter tank of gas and was like, "Nah, that'll never make it back".

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

muscles like this? posted:

It did always amuse me that Alan Wake was so obnoxious with its Duracell product placement when the flashlights in the game can burn through an entire package of their batteries in like 10 seconds.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

MGSV: I was eavesdropping on a conversation between two of my dudes on Mother Base and they were talking about how Big Boss got his name. On the line "That's our Boss," one of the soldiers turned around and waved at me. Wow!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sleeveless posted:

It did always amuse me that Alan Wake was so obnoxious with its Duracell product placement when the flashlights in the game can burn through an entire package of their batteries in like 10 seconds.

That doesn't really count because only using the magic flashlight overcharge superpower consumes batteries and that's not typical usage.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

haveblue posted:

That doesn't really count because only using the magic flashlight overcharge superpower consumes batteries and that's not typical usage.

Exactly. If anything it's saying "when evil shadow people attack you Duracell is the brand to use. We may only get ten minutes of magic overcharge but the other guys get none."

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

MGS5

your men turn and salute you after they are zombified before you gun them down.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I just picked up Destiny and was poking around the options, and I found that they have a color-blind mode. Specifically, they have three color-blind modes to correlate with the the three most common types of color-blindness. I'm not color-blind myself, but I really appreciate it when developers include those quality of life options to make sure more people can fully enjoy their games. It reminds me of the Legend of Grimrock devs who added a mouse-only movement option because a fan on their message board asked about it and mentioned that he was disabled and couldn't use a keyboard.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of the product placement in Alan Wake, there are TVs you can interact with that play neat fake in-universe Twilight Zone episodes that usually have something to do with that episode of the game. Some of them are written by Alan Wake, the character, which is another fun little layer to it. There's one episode of the fake show inside each episode of the game.

Except for one episode in which the interact-able TV plays a duracell ad and then a car commercial and fizzles out. It still counts as a collectible. :downs:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Sep 19, 2015

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I really appreciate that The Taken King incorporated some elements of raids into some strike boss battles. As in, a couple bosses require more than shoot big bad, shoot little bads, repeat. loving finally.

DownTheWell
Apr 19, 2007

Prosecute
Sees c.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I like that MGS V is only the second game in the metal gear series to have Liquid Snake

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The hell are you talking about? He's not in TPP

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The hell are you talking about? He's not in TPP

He's that blonde kid you rescue from Africa I think they call him Mamba

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Oh that's cool let's just continue posting unmarked spoilers for the brand new AAA game you dumb fucks

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

The kid who they pretty explicitly tell you is Liquid, is actually Liquid. That character with the looks and powers of Psycho Mantis, oh man you'll never guess who he is

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My favorite part of MGSV is when you and Ocelot are fighting the Metal Gears and if you manage to get away you can pull out the binoculars and see Miller and Quiet fighting another set of them. Sometimes you can even see D-Dog bringing soldiers rocket launchers too. :3:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

My favorite part of MGSV is when you and Ocelot are fighting the Metal Gears and if you manage to get away you can pull out the binoculars and see Miller and Quiet fighting another set of them. Sometimes you can even see D-Dog bringing soldiers rocket launchers too. :3:

I thought Sahelanthropus was the only metal gear other than that one you build in your base

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

ArtIsResistance posted:

I like that MGS V is only the second game in the metal gear series to have Liquid Snake

He's in MGS2 as well.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

He's in MGS2 as well.

that's ocelot play watch MGS4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ArtIsResistance posted:

The kid who they pretty explicitly tell you is Liquid, is actually Liquid. That character with the looks and powers of Psycho Mantis, oh man you'll never guess who he is

Guess what; It's kept deliberately vague about Eli for big spoiler reasons.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Guess what; It's kept deliberately vague about Eli for big spoiler reasons.

are you talking about the whole Big Boss isn't ACTUALLY Big Boss thing?

Somebody has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Sep 20, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ArtIsResistance posted:

are you talking about the whole Big Boss isn't ACTUALLY Big Boss thing?

Might wanna fix that. And yes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ArtIsResistance posted:

I thought Sahelanthropus was the only metal gear other than that one you build in your base

Heh, look at this scrub who hasn't done the Extra ops to get the Big Boss' nightmare levels. :smug:

Another thing I like about MGSV is that if you go take a shower enough times in succession Boss will keep coming out cleaner. So if you do it like forty times he comes out looking chrome and shiny.

I'm really glad the MGS world has such a tenuous connection with reality. We wouldn't be able to have stuff like robot dinosaurs that can do Hyakuretsukyakus or little robot velociraptors that can eat their way through tanks, or gorilla buddies. Finally, we can have a CQC gorilla in another game besides GOD HAND. Plus, you can train them and put them on your command squad! I threw a jeep at some soldiers while playing as it!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Another little thing that I love about LISA is that this is the developer, Austin "Dingaling" Jorgensen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9n5wCdIUNM

The game's fixation on swords, martial arts, and obscure 80s wrestling references makes so much more sense once you know about this side of him.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Regarding the final boss in the new Destiny raid.

I expected another humanoid boss, not something the size of a building with a myriad of mechanics, really impressive stuff.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Might wanna fix that. And yes.

He already posted the same spoiler completely untagged in the Dragging Games Down thread, so I'm not sure why he's even bothering with plausible deniability here.

Also, personally, I dig how the same "click the stick in once to keep sprinting" control also applies to rolling. Gonna put on my leopard-print camo and make Snake roll around in puddles, is what I'm going to do.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Another little thing that I love about LISA is that this is the developer, Austin "Dingaling" Jorgensen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9n5wCdIUNM

If you told me that a game developer that owns an East Asian sword was a cool guy, I would never believe you.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I see someone's really looking forward to making a "lol look how worked up people get about SPOILERS for VIDEO GAMES" post.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

ArtIsResistance posted:

that's ocelot play watch MGS4

Pfft retconning it out isn't the same is it not happening. They even had separate voice actors.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I see someone's really looking forward to making a "lol look how worked up people get about SPOILERS for VIDEO GAMES" post.

I don't get why no one's getting angry about my lies COMPLETELY FAIR AND BALANCED GUT-TRUTH POSTS.

I can't believe the game lied to you about Ocelot existing. Wow, what a twist. I'm also surprised that Ishmael was actually Chris Evans the entire time. Kojima is a genius.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

I don't get why no one's getting angry about my lies COMPLETELY FAIR AND BALANCED GUT-TRUTH POSTS.

I can't believe the game lied to you about Ocelot existing. Wow, what a twist. I'm also surprised that Ishmael was actually Chris Evans the entire time. Kojima is a genius.

Yes, posting retarded poo poo like this excuses intentionally posting big plot reveals from things. I'm sure people who were told that Vader is Luke's dad would have appreciated it if someone else in the crowd had yelled out "Oh and the death star is also an orange!" because that would have totally nullified what the first person said. People get on edge about spoilers because they like actually figuring out or seeing things for the first time and it's just lovely to go out of your way and ruin it for other people.

To actually contribute: Undertale does some neat stuff with your save file. At one point I'd murdered an NPC and reloaded my game to avoid that and was treated to another character mocking me for reloading my game save.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Pfft retconning it out isn't the same is it not happening. They even had separate voice actors.

look man I spent 20 hours watching metal gear solid 4 so don't tell me it wasn't canon or that'd literally kill me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

artisresistance, I don't know why you derive pleasure from purposely spoiling a video game that just came out that many people are looking forward to playing and experiencing at the pace they want because of the sheer amount of things you can do in that game

do you not like the game? if so, that's ok. i'm sorry if the insane critical reception of the game made you feel like you have to like it. I feel the same way about witcher 3, where i'm sure it's good but because nobody would stop talking about it I lost all interest in it.

however because of you spoiling me on what I feel is likely a critical plot point I have to change the way I play to experience the story as quickly as possible to avoid being spoiled on more things. i'd much rather continue my glacial pace of doing tons and tons of side missions while doing essentially one main mission a night, but now I have to play through the story knowing in the back of my head what you have already spoiled me on.

i'm not entirely sure what there is to gain in mildly inconveniencing me and many others. i'm still going to play the game and I'm going to continue to enjoy it, but the surprises won't be as surprising anymore and that's a little bit of a bummer don't you think?

in short, I hope that one day you will mature a little and choose not to drag down someone else's experiences in something that they enjoy for whatever reason you are currently choosing to do this

thank you for listening