Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

GrandpaPants posted:

He got infected offscreen when he was locked in that shack. You can see a noose in the background of one of his later appearances.

It's very possible that he was infected before they locked him up.

The movie establishes the theory that there is a quick way to get infected - the Thing absorbs you and spits out a copy like Bennings - and a slower method where Thing cells slowly overtake you one cell at a time. That's why they prepared their own meals, to keep an imitation from sprinkling their food with invisible Thing cells. With that in mind, watch Brimley dissecting the burnt-but-not-dead Thing recovered from the Norwegian camp. In addition to using utterly inadequate rubber gloves, and if I recall correctly is even shown chewing on the pencil he was using to poke around it.

It's entirely possible he was infected but not overtaken upon being locked in, which explains why he tied the noose but never hung himself with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Crowetron posted:

The first Mortal Kombat movie owns, though?

Yeah, it's one of the very few actually good video game adaptions. It takes a few recognisable elements from the games but doesn't get too far into arcane bullshit that only players would care about. Then it gets the plot out of the way quickly and goes right to what everybody actually cares about, weird people beating each other up in interesting locales, with surprisingly good choreography, too. Also features Christoper Lambert in probably one of his best roles :allears:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's one of the very few actually good video game adaptions. It takes a few recognisable elements from the games but doesn't get too far into arcane bullshit that only players would care about. Then it gets the plot out of the way quickly and goes right to what everybody actually cares about, weird people beating each other up in interesting locales, with surprisingly good choreography, too. Also features Christoper Lambert in probably one of his best roles :allears:

I didn't know he played Connor Macleod, in addition to Raiden, in Mortal kombat.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

They also pretty much beat the poo poo out of each other for real. I think the guy playing Liu Kang broke some ribs in the Reptile fight when he got slammed into that post.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Ozz81 posted:

And before anyone asks, a short YT clip of the scene in question (near the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWlMNltHIYI

Except that this still is not quite the quote. And almost certainly it's not the thing most people are "remembering."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Except that this still is not quite the quote. And almost certainly it's not the thing most people are "remembering."

Yeah, I suspect that people who think they've heard that phrase in the past are collectively mis-remembering. It's a Mandela Effect.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandela_Effect
http://mandelaeffect.com/major-memories

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or we all heard it in some sort of global event and our memories are being suppressed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

Or we all heard it in some sort of global event and our memories are being suppressed.

Bleed-through from an alternate timeline so we remember it but can never find evidence. Happens all the time, like how everyone seems to think that the Berenstain Bears should be spelled as the Berenstein Bears.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Bleed-through from an alternate timeline so we remember it but can never find evidence. Happens all the time, like how everyone seems to think that the Berenstain Bears should be spelled as the Berenstein Bears.

This is the dumbest meme. It's always been Berenstain, early childhood educators who've been around the books for decades can tell you that. It's just commonly misremembered because there's a gap between the age when kids care about Berenstain Bears and the age when kids know poo poo about spelling. By the time it comes up for people again they're used to seeing -stein at the end of names and don't remember the original spelling from when they were semi-literate preschoolers.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

And until the Star Wars resurgence, misquoting "I am your father."

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
It's not The Hudsucker Proxy? When he drew the circle? Or was that "You know, for kids!"...

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Eclipse12 posted:

Mad Max: Fury Road
I've seen the film twice now in theaters and I think I realized something kind of cool about the unspecified locations. As we know, it starts in a vast desert, then they head through mountains, past the "green place," and reach a salt plain. It's my theory that the salt plain is, in fact, the Pacific Ocean. It would make sense that the sandy location of Citadel/GasTown/Bullet Farm are all west of the Great Dividing Range mountains. In this future, The Outback would have dried up even further, leaving nothing but sand. We know they head east to get to mountains, which are almost certainly the Dividing Range, especially since there is "green" on the other side (Australia's east coast, protected by those mountains, is much milder in climate and has significantly more vegetation). Of course, now this too had died. The only logical salt flat that you could travel for months and not cross would have to be an evaporated section of ocean.

It all adds up fairly well, considering they're traveling east. There's no other combination of places that match up. In this world, much of the oceans themselves have dried up
:eek:

Spoilers to be safe, though it's out on all the various formats now so you have no excuse not to see it.

In the new Mad Max game, they outright state that you're basically correct. One of the map areas is a salt flat with a beached ship as an ally stronghold for you to visit/get quests. The 'Great Nothing", which is past the boundaries of the game map, is implied to be endless miles of salt. The game does the movie so much justice in terms of padding the backstory, it's made me a bigger fan of the movie, and when was the last time you heard someone say that about a movie tie-in game?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

syscall girl posted:

I also saw the original The Thing and it was just like every other movie you see on MST3K. Kurt Russell The Thing is legit good.

The Thing From Another World is a pretty good flick. I'd recommend that along with Them! for a classic double feature.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crowetron posted:

I never said it didn't. I just didn't expect a fairly highbrow reviewer like Barry Norman would appreciate it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gabriel Pope posted:

This is the dumbest meme. It's always been Berenstain, early childhood educators who've been around the books for decades can tell you that. It's just commonly misremembered because there's a gap between the age when kids care about Berenstain Bears and the age when kids know poo poo about spelling. By the time it comes up for people again they're used to seeing -stein at the end of names and don't remember the original spelling from when they were semi-literate preschoolers.

I think he was probably joking about an alternate timeline where the only major difference is the spelling in the last name of a bunch of incestuous bears.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah, I suspect that people who think they've heard that phrase in the past are collectively mis-remembering. It's a Mandela Effect.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandela_Effect
http://mandelaeffect.com/major-memories

Exactly, I'd put it more towards false memory and misquoting rather than the clip being wrong, since it's the only place I've legit heard the phrase.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

I think he was probably joking about an alternate timeline where the only major difference is the spelling in the last name of a bunch of incestuous bears.

It's not just him, though. Google Berenstain Bears and half the hits will be about the "alternate timeline" spelling.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's why he made the joke

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The line sounds like it should be from Futurama.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Everyone knows there is an alt timeline for every decision ever made

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think that people just put together something Professor Frink, the guy from Dr. Strangelove, and _____________

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I thought it was from the Zybourne Clock for a long time. I think that what actually happened is that similar phrases kind of worked their way into the cultural consciousness and all got misquoted and mixed together. I just think that saying its from that Burke's Law episode is a little misleading since most of the people probably haven't seen it and so aren't remembering that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The people who have seen it have quoted it and people who have heard the quote have misquoted it and confused it

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

To get away from the mystery phrase chat, someone in another thread linked the scene in Indiana Jones where he's teaching a class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmkJ0lrCpLQ

I don't think I noticed before but while never get a wide shot of the entire classroom to emphasise this, it becomes clear by the end of the scene that the class is like 90% young girls. It's a good little joke that builds on the rest of the scene.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Red Bones posted:

To get away from the mystery phrase chat, someone in another thread linked the scene in Indiana Jones where he's teaching a class:

I don't think I noticed before but while never get a wide shot of the entire classroom to emphasise this, it becomes clear by the end of the scene that the class is like 90% young girls. It's a good little joke that builds on the rest of the scene.

It's clear from the first shot of the class that they're mostly young girls, and when you consider how adamant George Lucas was on Indiana Jones being a pedophile, it's not that surprising.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

haha what?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's like 10 years older than Marian and their relationship started when she was 14 or 15.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

quote:

Kasdan: I like it if they already had a relationship at one point. Because then you don't have to build it.
Lucas: I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.
Kasdan: And he was forty-two.
Lucas: He hasn't seen her in twelve years. Now she's twenty-two. It's a real strange relationship.
Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.
Lucas: He's thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve.

Lucas: It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.
Spielberg: And promiscuous. She came onto him.
Lucas: Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it's an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she's sixteen or seventeen it's not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he...
Spielberg: She has pictures of him.
Lucas: There would be a picture on the mantle of her, her father, and him. She was madly in love with him at the time and he left her because obviously it wouldn't work out. Now she's twenty-five and she's been living in Nepal since she was eighteen. It's not only that they like each other, it's a very bizarre thing, it puts a whole new perspective on this whole thing. It gives you lots of stuff to play off of between them. Maybe she still likes him. It's something he'd rather forget about and not have come up again. This gives her a lot of ammunition to fight with.
Spielberg: In a way, she could say, "You've made me this hard."

http://maddogmovies.com/almost/scripts/raidersstoryconference1978.pdf

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I cannot get over how Lucas had his entire career fall into his lap despite his best efforts :psyduck:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It's clear from the first shot of the class that they're mostly young girls, and when you consider how adamant George Lucas was on Indiana Jones being a pedophile, it's not that surprising.

I think it's at the end of the same scene where the only male student stomps past looking furious and slaps an apple onto Indy's desk :allears:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Snapchat A Titty posted:

The first class shot establishes that there's a lot of young girls there without actually showing the entire classroom, but it isn't until the entire class files past him at the end of the scene that there's only like three guys taking his class. Maybe it's pedantic, but they came across as two separate jokes to me, not that it really matters :shrug:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shades of the same joke really. The dudes are there to highlight the women, without them it could be a girls college.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Professor Shark posted:

I cannot get over how Lucas had his entire career fall into his lap despite his best efforts :psyduck:

Really it's a miracle. It's a really good movie too, just pretend it's from the 80s :D

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

George Lucas also always wanted to have incest in Star Wars. Originally, he wanted the proto-luke and proto-leia to know they were related, but still get romantically involved anyways. I can't remember if they were supposed to be cousins or half-siblings.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Crowetron posted:

Its basically a complete remake of Enter the Dragon so its building on a pretty solid base.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Professor Shark posted:

Lucas was the original Kanye

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

George Lucas also always wanted to have incest in Star Wars. Originally, he wanted the proto-luke and proto-leia to know they were related, but still get romantically involved anyways. I can't remember if they were supposed to be cousins or half-siblings.

*Arrested Development cut-to-commerical music*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

LES COUSINS DANGEREUX

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
George RR Lucas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Red Bones posted:

They do revisit this in Crystal Skull and show that old Indie's class is almost all.male.