Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Say Nothing posted:

Not Dilbert.

seid :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You're thinking of Doug.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

I really want to know that vampire's story.

Where did he come from? How did he lose his legs? Why did he decide to staple himself to a dolly?

These questions will likely never be answered. :smith:

He had his legs cut off so the ambassador from Transylvania (who, of course, is a werewolf) could smuggle him into the White House in a briefcase.

No, really..

DC Comics Database posted:

Chapter Two: Wheeling Death

Prez calls an emergency meeting of his cabinet. He states that it seems they are at war with a country they can't even find. Eagle Free concludes that it must be under the dark cloud next to Moravia. One of his men brings in an ancient book from the Library of Congress which claims that Transylvania is a land of vampires. Later that night, in the President's study, the ambassador's coffin-shaped briefcase opens. A crippled Count Dracula, who has had both his legs amputated, crawls out and wheels himself down to the President's bedroom on a dolly. Just as Dracula is about to turn Prez into one of the living dead, Eagle Free bursts in screaming for the President to awaken. Eagle Free pushes Dracula off of the bed, stating that he suddenly realized that the strange suitcase was a coffin, and that Wolfman had left it behind. The vampire tells them that they will not stop him. Seven times he has been stabbed through the heart, and seven times he has risen from the grave. He has been tormented, and crippled, but there is still enough left to destroy them both. Dracula attacks them, but Eagle Free pulls out a disk which appears to bear the symbol of a Nazi swastika. The youth reveals that it is the Indian hooked cross, and that the Great Spirit will strike him down if he advances beyond the sign. Temporarily defeated, Dracula escapes into the night.

Eagle Free, for those not hep, was Prez's sidekick and FBI director, who wandered around Washington barechested and in buckskin pants and a feather headband. Must have made for some interesting Cabinet meetings. (You can see him in the doorway in the cover.)

Joe Simon was clearly on some truly awesome poo poo in 1974.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Rhyno posted:

You're thinking of Doug.

Wally has hair :argh:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

TwoPair posted:

Robin Son of Batman #3:

Damian is great. Easily my favourite batfamily member.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I love Bill Loebs to death so it pains me to say that his run on Wonder Woman was not really all that good. It did, however, provide us with the sensational character find of 1995

Wonder Woman v.2 #95

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
and cabbage

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
That new Invader Zim comic is.......really Invader Zimy

Invader Zim #1

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

W.W. v.2 #82

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Oh, and Wonder Woman had a guest penciler for an issue named Massengil (k, it's missing an l but ti's still funny)

and how does Massengil's Wonder Woman look?

Not exactly fresh as a summer's eve. Really, kinda more like Marlan Brando in drag.

W.W. # 84

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Sizone posted:

I love Bill Loebs to death so it pains me to say that his run on Wonder Woman was not really all that good. It did, however, provide us with the sensational character find of 1995

Wonder Woman v.2 #95

Pitt?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Basically. In context, Wonder Woman is usurped by another amazonian. She fights the chauvinist, the exploiter of sweat shop labor and the badass conquistador of the rain forest. All of whom are magically roided up actors provided by the p.r. firm usurper Wonder Woman is unsuspectingly working for. The artist for the book, at the time, was a competent, but clearly Jim Lee derivative motherfucker. The editorial direction on the last year or so of Loebs' run seemed to be dictating hot girl on girl fighting action and lots of boob/butt poses. Pretty sure Loebs and his penciler just decided to take the Image piss out of it as hard as they could.

Like, someone straight up told the creative crew, "these are books that sell, make books like them only feminist". And the creative crew responded "O.K., but those books sell because they are decidedly unfemminist".

Sizone fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 18, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sizone posted:

Basically. In context, Wonder Woman is usurped by another amazonian. She fights the chauvinist, the exploiter of sweat shop labor and the badass conquistador of the rain forest. All of whom are magically roided up actors provided by the p.r. firm usurper Wonder Woman is unsuspectingly working for. The artist for the book, at the time, was a competent, but clearly Jim Lee derivative motherfucker. The editorial direction on the last year or so of Loebs' run seemed to be dictating hot girl on girl fighting action and lots of boob/butt poses. Pretty sure Loebs and his penciler just decided to take the Image piss out of it as hard as they could.

Like, someone straight up told the creative crew, "these are books that sell, make books like them only feminist". And the creative crew responded "O.K., but those books sell because they are decidedly unfemminist".

Haha it was Mike Deodato, Jr

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sizone posted:

That new Invader Zim comic is.......really Invader Zimy

Invader Zim #1

Is Vasquez working on this? Although I guess it wouldn't matter, he'd hate it either way.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

Is Vasquez working on this? Although I guess it wouldn't matter, he'd hate it either way.
Absolutely. He's writing the first few issues and then handing it off to one of the original show writers. He'll be basically acting as script/dialog editor at that point.

It's been a fun read so far, coming from a big in-the-day Zim fan. The speech patterns are spot-on, as they should be.

Interview about the comic series:
http://www.avclub.com/article/invader-zim-creator-keeping-his-absurdist-humor-gr-221693

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 18, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The hell does Vasquez do with himself? "Squat in an abandoned mansion living off taquitos" is distressingly plausible.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Are you kidding, have you ever been in a Hot Topic? The residuals from Zim and JTHM are probably keeping him afloat on their own, and apparently he's still working on new stuff. He's fine.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
That doesn't actually rule out "squatting in an abandoned mansion living off taquitos."

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Jhonen Vasqez is Tyler Durden.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Nessus posted:

The hell does Vasquez do with himself? "Squat in an abandoned mansion living off taquitos" is distressingly plausible.

He's apparently been doing a lot of behind-the-scenes work in animation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Travis343 posted:

Are you kidding, have you ever been in a Hot Topic? The residuals from Zim and JTHM are probably keeping him afloat on their own, and apparently he's still working on new stuff. He's fine.

Keeshhound posted:

That doesn't actually rule out "squatting in an abandoned mansion living off taquitos."
Yeah, exactly, that just makes it a lifestyle choice.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Nessus posted:

Yeah, exactly, that just makes it a lifestyle choice.

It's also now a character I expect him to have Dib encounter during some madcap scheme to expose Zim in the future.

"Greetings, boy, and welcome to my humble abode. I, am the Muffin King!!!

"...Those are Taquitos."

"OF COURSE THEY'RE TAQUITOS! What kind of mad fool would sit on a pile of muffins!? Guards? Take him to the muffin chambers, and let him sit there to think in silent solitude on the nature of his idiocy."

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Even since my high school goth crush lent me a copy of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac filled with her annotations, I've appreciated his work but had a distinct fear of ever running across Jhonen Vasquez in person and attempting to pronounce his name. I can't remember if it's part of a foreword somewhere, but I remember he wrote about how people tried and got it wrong, and since I thought the comic was awesome I was afraid I'd disappoint him. Never bothered to look it up, though.

Maybe I should find a copy of that, but I think my memory of it surpasses its actual quality.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Nessus posted:

The hell does Vasquez do with himself?

Probably meth. Like everyone else who has ever been on the slave labor graphics roster.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Oh my god the usage of the Image logo. :allears:

It's a shame the book is pretty bad. The art is neat but I'm reading the first trade and it's boring as poo poo. It's gender-swapped Odysseus on the Odyssey but everything it's doing that isn't the Odyssey just feels forcibly different for difference's sake.

Also I can't spell Odyssey without spellcheck, Jesus Christ.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Sizone posted:

Probably meth. Like everyone else who has ever been on the slave labor graphics roster.

Greg Weisman?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sigma-X posted:

It's a shame the book is pretty bad. The art is neat but I'm reading the first trade and it's boring as poo poo. It's gender-swapped Odysseus on the Odyssey but everything it's doing that isn't the Odyssey just feels forcibly different for difference's sake.

Also I can't spell Odyssey without spellcheck, Jesus Christ.

See, I marathoned the first six or eight issues and right now it's just below Casanova as my favorite Fraction book. Something about it really clicked with me.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Keeshhound posted:

It's also now a character I expect him to have Dib encounter during some madcap scheme to expose Zim in the future.

"Greetings, boy, and welcome to my humble abode. I, am the Muffin King!!!

"...Those are Taquitos."

"OF COURSE THEY'RE TAQUITOS! What kind of mad fool would sit on a pile of muffins!? Guards? Take him to the muffin chambers, and let him sit there to think in silent solitude on the nature of his idiocy."

I'm angry with how spot on that sounded. I can see the long zigzag tongue and everything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Invader Zim comic is not good. And the rumor is that they paid Vasquez to put his name on it without actually doing any work.

Call me when he starts the JTHM sequel.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Wanderer posted:

He's apparently been doing a lot of behind-the-scenes work in animation.

Doesn't he have something to do with that cartoon Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja?

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Dacap posted:

Doesn't he have something to do with that cartoon Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja?

I think he only did character design on that.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Rails off of Roman Dirge's pale and pasty rear end. Like, really unbelievably massive rails.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Rhyno posted:

The Invader Zim comic is not good. And the rumor is that they paid Vasquez to put his name on it without actually doing any work.

ehhnn, it's o.k..

Sure you aren't nostalgia blinded?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I would think nostalgia-blindness would be the only way to enjoy that comic.

Or Invader Zim in general.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

i_dont_like_thing.jpg

Post panels of comics you do like then.

EDIT: Here's something I posted in another thread, for those who don't want to get into the meta-discussion.

Gambit #17

IUG fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 19, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Why people think Gambit ever looked cool is beyond me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I liked Vasquez way back then but you wouldn't be able to tell.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

I think his current look is alright but yeah I have no idea what the hell that costume is trying to do.

Anyway here's Secret Wars Battleworld #2:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

mind the walrus posted:

He still looks cool :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

It not Gambit, it you.