Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

You really think someone would do that?
Just go on the internet and tell lies?
http://ygorganization.com/breakers-of-shadow-new-theme-and-some-new-cards/

Those new machine dinosaurs look neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I find it kind of sad how the powercreep in YGO has gotten so completely insane that such banlist changes like Charge of the Light Brigade to 2, Gateway of the Six to 2, Honest to 3, and Crush Card Virus to 2 are no longer worth mention.

Also the fact that Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of the End is legal at 3 copies in a deck and the reaction is "whatever". Considering a year ago the idea that CED would be unbanned ever was still in the realm of "never happening in a million years", the fact that it's now completely unlimited and the reaction isn't "ABANDON GAME" is just horrifying.

(Meanwhile, the fact that Clownblade is already being considered to be more overpowered than Dragon Rulers ever were and that they were BOLSTERED by the banlist rather than hit doesn't make any sense at all)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CED and CCV got errata'd, that's why they're unbanned.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

the Orb of Zot posted:

I find it kind of sad how the powercreep in YGO has gotten so completely insane that such banlist changes like Charge of the Light Brigade to 2, Gateway of the Six to 2, Honest to 3, and Crush Card Virus to 2 are no longer worth mention.

Also the fact that Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of the End is legal at 3 copies in a deck and the reaction is "whatever". Considering a year ago the idea that CED would be unbanned ever was still in the realm of "never happening in a million years", the fact that it's now completely unlimited and the reaction isn't "ABANDON GAME" is just horrifying.

(Meanwhile, the fact that Clownblade is already being considered to be more overpowered than Dragon Rulers ever were and that they were BOLSTERED by the banlist rather than hit doesn't make any sense at all)

Chaos Emperor Dragon had an errata in the OCG, so it only does burn damage for the cards your opponent had, and it has the clause that you can't activate any other effects for the rest of the turn (Killing off old strategies and preventing you from abusing floaters, Grave swarmers, etc.). Basically, it can push for game, but that's pretty much it, and leaves you wide open.

As for "Clownblade", the original concept (Performage Trick Clown + Assault Halberd and friends) isn't that broken, but is a solid engine. The real brokeness comes into play with the pendulum monsters in the next set, giving us Magicians, Performages, and Performapals that set up the field in an extremely strong lock and give you so much advantage that it really feels like a coinflip format (Like Frog FTK).

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=7413

So they are changing the way rarities are processed. I'm excited for it, though hopefully Konami doesn't pull a Secret Forces and start Short Printing higher rarity cards...

Also sucks about the Ultimates being cut, but at least we will get a few here and there from Astral Packs.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

More importantly then that, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWrIoSLYJJk

NEW EPISODE GET HYPED. :dance:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Julias posted:

https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=7413

So they are changing the way rarities are processed. I'm excited for it, though hopefully Konami doesn't pull a Secret Forces and start Short Printing higher rarity cards...

Also sucks about the Ultimates being cut, but at least we will get a few here and there from Astral Packs.

I'm fine with those changes. I don't mind losing the ultimate foil but it is a shame to miss the ghost foil, those looked cool as hell.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ultimates and Ghosts out but benderiffic Secrets twice as common. Why.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is YGO still like playing Calvinball with a tweaked-out solitare nerd?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's like playing calvinball where being a tweaked out solitaire nerd works only 50% of the time.
And most likely the archetype you are playing can hit it off much more consistently.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Depends on the deck you face.

If you face Chain Burn, Exodia, or more or less anything Slur plays, then yes.

If you drop down to a more casual level, not so much.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I just remember when Infernity dropped, and I realized it was the beginning of the end for my interest in the game. Must have been a couple years ago now.

RIP, my goofy Noble Knights and Gem Knights decks. You were fun while you lasted. :smith:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Gem Knights got some support recently, because a character in the new anime actually uses it.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Senerio posted:

Depends on the deck you face.

If you face Chain Burn, Exodia, or more or less anything Slur plays, then yes.

If you drop down to a more casual level, not so much.

You're just mad 'cause I won.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Hey I put more or less because D/Ds aren't like that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Senerio posted:

Gem Knights got some support recently, because a character in the new anime actually uses it.
That's kind of neat, but doesn't really solve the core issue of "half the decks I face just masturbate at me every turn for five minutes and then I lose".

Deck building isn't fun because everything's already an archetype and playing isn't fun because by the end of the first turn, the game's already decided.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Depends on what deck you face. The new ruling that the first player doesn't draw makes it a little easier for second player to actually do stuff.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I like going first when I'm jamming hieratic gishki, especially w/ gustkraken at 2 now :getin:. What's that? you wanted to start with 2 cards in your hand?

although honestly the number of copies of gustkraken doesn't do that much i think you just have more ways to spend your gishki searchers and don't have to m7 your gustkraken or something.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I like going second as Greydle Kaiju.

Oh hey that's a nice untargetable monster with a completely absurd effect. It's a shame that it just got tributed...

At least you got a nice monster out of it! Oh wait, that's an Owner's Seal. :ohdear:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A dude I was playing told me you're at a disadvantage if you're go first and I had a field established with a fire lake ready at the end of the first turn and then he lost two turns later.

Iirc my statement was something along the lines of "Yeah, going second's the way to go."

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It depends on the deck, really. Some decks benefit significantly from going first. Some benefit significantly from going second.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That is true, but the mentality is not a good mentality to have in general.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah, completely agree. Did he know you were playing BA when he said that?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He literally saw me making the move as he said it

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In my casual experience with friends we always want to go second because none of us use crazy-optimal decks and the first attack+draw winds up much more valuable. :shrug: It all depends on who you're playing with I guess.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

On the other hand, going first lets you set traps, so you can gently caress over your opponent's first turn, whereas they (mostly) can't do anything on your first turn.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
As Noble Knight player, I'm always try to go first.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Dexie posted:

On the other hand, going first lets you set traps, so you can gently caress over your opponent's first turn, whereas they (mostly) can't do anything on your first turn.

Yeah, but who runs traps anymore besides the 2 or 3 cards to fuel Raflessia? This is why we need an exclusively control-based format again.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Slur posted:

Yeah, but who runs traps anymore besides the 2 or 3 cards to fuel Raflessia?

I do.
Always keep a Compulsory Evacuation Device and one or two Bottomless Pits to get rid of monsters that cannot be destroyed through normal means.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Literally everyone runs traps still with exception of like Nekroz and Shaddoll and those side them in more often than not depending on matchup.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Baal posted:

Literally everyone runs traps still with exception of like Nekroz and Shaddoll and those side them in more often than not depending on matchup.

I think you should reevaluate the latest OCG top 32 lists, and then tell me again "everyone runs traps in more than 2-3 copies".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Does Royal Decree count as running traps? :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Slur posted:

I think you should reevaluate the latest OCG top 32 lists, and then tell me again "everyone runs traps in more than 2-3 copies".

I don't play yugioh exclusively on Ygopro and Devpro, so you'll have to excuse me if an entire country I don't play Yugioh in actually has an effect on how I play the game.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Does Royal Decree count as running traps? :v:

Yes

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
"Well, you see. This entire country I only follow through second-hand coverage in text form is how everyone plays the game in the world even though there is an other half of the world of players who make up the other majority of the yugioh player base. I will never actually play any of these players only people who copy them since I only play online, but this is the one standard I hold the game to."

-Slur

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Baal posted:

"Well, you see. This entire country I only follow through second-hand coverage in text form is how everyone plays the game in the world even though there is an other half of the world of players who make up the other majority of the yugioh player base. I will never actually play any of these players only people who copy them since I only play online, but this is the one standard I hold the game to."

-Slur

I'm following the meta and how it functions in both the OCG and TCG. I'm looking at the best decks as the most viable coverage of the game itself. There is nothing wrong or inaccurate with that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You are playing a format of the game that uses cards that are inaccessible to both regions in a weird mix that isn't allowed in World Championships. This is not to mention that there is an entire archetype that exists in the west right now which places consistently that uses traps a lot that you like to ignore and Japan is now getting those cards. You can't sit here and say you're following the meta and how it functions in both and try to make generalizations that completely ignores one side, that's flat out contradictory. This is not to mention the other cards the OCG is getting that actually weirdly enough help support that archetype.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I mean, there's nothing wrong with only playing the game online.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Absolutely. it gives you the benefit of being able to play a game you like without having to dump monies into it like any of us who play irl and you don't have to wait to play around with cards you don't have access to normally and it's a good place to just gently caress around and have fun.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If YGOPro didn't exist I would never in a million years have gotten back in to this ridiculous game. The entirety of my physical collection is an unholy mix of the Kaiba and whoever in GX used dinosaurs starter decks and like two cards from a Joey deck traded off a friend, all from back when the Extra Deck was the Fusion Deck.

I mean I'm preaching to the choir here but I really am quite grateful. Can't believe I temporarily gave up on a game that wound up introducing Kozmo :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

YGOPro and the like are pretty awesome things, but honestly, I've come to hate the combined format of "TCG banlist with every region's cards" that they offer.

• Locked thread