Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Doc Hammer's got a kickass band (who did an amazing cover of my favorite song), but I doubt that really qualifies as a job.

He sounds like Dermott when he sings. Kind of puts me off the otherwise good music.

I love the look of their AstroBaseGo HQ, it's so not what one would expect where most of the work gets done. Almost a hovel with old CRT screens and cigarettes strewn about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

fspades posted:

Let's be honest; nobody watches this show. It's pretty much the best animated show ever for people who get its humor, but good luck convincing other people to try it.

I successfully got like.. one person to watch it ever. She loves it and quotes it all the time.

Everyone else though, jeez... One guy I used to work with told me he liked Archer, so I tentatively recommended VB too, with all the caveats about how the first season is really rough but so-and-so episodes are good, then it picks up by blah blah. So he went off and first accidentally downloaded Adventure Time (similar name????) which he hated, and told me so, but it took me a while to realise he had the wrong show. Once I corrected him, he finally tried Venture Bros, gave it like two episodes, and refused to watch any more. :cripes:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Red posted:

The show is amazing, so I'm willing to tolerate 13 years for 6 seasons.

I mean, I'm actually kind of stunned that Cartoon Network has held on to it for so long.

Supposedly(at least according to scuttlebutt I've heard on other sites) it's at least partially cause Comedy Central has had an open offer to the creators to bring Venture Brothers to them if CN/Adult Swim ever cans them before they want it to be done(since they supposedly own the series rights unlike most AS shows), and letting a show as well loved as VB jump to another network would be the sort of thing that'd result in some heads rolling at Adult Swim(which makes sense as Mile Lazzo has been canceling other shows on AS left and right over the las year or so)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Hedrigall posted:

I successfully got like.. one person to watch it ever. She loves it and quotes it all the time.

Everyone else though, jeez... One guy I used to work with told me he liked Archer, so I tentatively recommended VB too, with all the caveats about how the first season is really rough but so-and-so episodes are good, then it picks up by blah blah. So he went off and first accidentally downloaded Adventure Time (similar name????) which he hated, and told me so, but it took me a while to realise he had the wrong show. Once I corrected him, he finally tried Venture Bros, gave it like two episodes, and refused to watch any more. :cripes:

That man is a lost cause. Sever.

freypies
Jan 6, 2014
I'm trying and failing to think of the kind of person who would like Archer but not VB. Why?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Archer can have a pretty bro-y audience.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

freypies posted:

I'm trying and failing to think of the kind of person who would like Archer but not VB. Why?

A friend of mine likes Archer but not VB because he doesn't get all the references in VB. v:shobon:v

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
They really dont have much in common, besides both of them being animated sitcoms. Plus Archer somehow looks even cheaper than VB, thanks to the boring uninspired art design.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

feedmyleg posted:

Archer can have a pretty bro-y audience.

Think of the sort of person who likes South Park and thinks Eric Cartman is hilarious because he says things we're all thinking, and understand that that guy loves Archer for exactly the wrong reasons.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I dislike Archer for the same reason I generally disliked Sealab and ATHF (and since it's basically the same people that made all of those, it doesn't surprise me): When it makes me laugh, it makes me laugh until my face and stomach hurt, but those laughs come at a rate of about once per 4-5 episodes. The rest of the time, it's stifilingly unfunny. The ratio just isn't good enough to warrant watching.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I like Archer and Venture Bros.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

All I know is that Brock loving Samson could take RIP RILEY, MANHUNTER in a fight without much of a challenge.

Plus in Archer someone was stupid enough to clone Hitler, whereas even Doc Venture wasn't amoral enough to clone Hitler.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Sash! posted:

Plus in Archer someone was stupid enough to clone Hitler, whereas even Doc Venture wasn't amoral enough to clone Hitler.
That turned out to be not true. Another proof that lack of common sense, like alcoholism, runs through the Archer bloodline.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah.

I showed "Careers in Science" to the in-laws over vacation, and they hated it. I'm not even really sure what a good intro episode really would be, that would be accessible and funny to most people. Ghosts of the Sargasso?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Red posted:

Yeah.

I showed "Careers in Science" to the in-laws over vacation, and they hated it. I'm not even really sure what a good intro episode really would be, that would be accessible and funny to most people. Ghosts of the Sargasso?

"The Incredible Mr. Brisby" or "Tag Sale – You're It!" seem to be good starting points. You could even show stuff like "¡Viva los Metros!", "The Buddy System" or "Spanakopita!" to give people a taste of fun standalone episodes.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"Ghosts of the Sargasso" and "Tag Sale- You're It!" together serve as a nice little mission statement for the series.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, to me "Tag Sale- You're It!" is just the series contained in a perfect bite sized episode because you get introduced to all the elements.

1) Doctor Venture's financial issues
2) Dean's awkward teenage naivety
3) Hank's insanity
4) Brock's brutality
5) Monarch's baseless hate for Dr. Venture
6) Supervillans who operate under rules
7) 24 and 21
8) Dr. O
9) Billy Quizboy and Pete White
10) Hanging a lampshade on Dr. Girlfriend's voice

It's really just perfect.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Ghosts of the Sargasso perfectly encapsulates the mood and tone of the show. If they don't like that one, they won't like the show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've introduced it to a couple of people successfully, you've just got to understand who is going to like the show's sensibility and who isn't. For instance, I have one friend who - like me - loves Hardy Boys and Johnny Quest and Doc Savage and Scooby Doo and superscience and golden age superheroes and the vast majority of things that Venture Bros. is a take on, but the writing in the show didn't gel with his sense of humor so I couldn't sell him on it. Conversely, I've had friends who don't relate to any of that stuff who are a perfect fit for the show's sense of humor. Now I've got a real sense for who responds to it. Know your audience, because it's definitely not a show for everyone.

Though with the former guy, I did show him Escape from the House of the Mummies Part II and he could definitely see the appeal and why I loved it. He just didn't really dig it, especially the B-plot with the shrink-ray pettiness and the guilty pleasures lists. He'd rather just watch an episode of Johnny Quest or read some Doc Savage and not have it be filtered through the particular brand of nostalgia and cynicism that Venture Bros. provides.

e: Then again, I wonder how many people in this thread don't relate to superheroes/Hardy Boys/Quest/Scooby Doo/etc., or if the show really does only survive on that audience. Is everyone on board for that stuff?

Also, Tag Sale isn't my favorite episode to introduce people to the show with. It does have all the right elements, but it's a very plot-light episode that feels like it relies on foreknowledge of Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend. I think Mummies or Ice Station – Impossible are a little more relatable.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 18, 2015

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Djarum posted:

"The Incredible Mr. Brisby" or "Tag Sale – You're It!" seem to be good starting points.
I don't think "The Incredible Mr. Brisby" would work as a starting point, I wouldn't even include in a list of must-see season 1 episodes. It's a forgettable episode, I say make people watch the very good episode of season 1 plus the last two, if they're hooked make them watch season 2, and then insert ""The Incredible Mr. Brisby" right before "Assassinany" for the introduction of Molotov.

feedmyleg posted:

e: Then again, I wonder how many people in this thread don't relate to superheroes/Hardy Boys/Quest/Scooby Doo/etc., or if the show really does only survive on that audience. Is everyone on board for that stuff?
Of your list, I think I only really "know" Scooby Doo and, I guess, golden age super-heroes through Batman : The Brave and the Bold.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 18, 2015

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Brisby's Brock-Molotov fight in the hotel room was like every VB commercial on Adult Swim back in 2004. It's one of the reasons I started watching the show.

I think people just sort of need to watch a bunch of early-mid season 1 episodes and see if it clicks.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

i really don't care for any of that stuff

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Davincie posted:

i really don't care for any of that stuff

I never really liked or cared about any of that stuff but I'm familiar enough with it that I laugh at how it's lampooned.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ithaqua posted:

I dislike Archer for the same reason I generally disliked Sealab and ATHF (and since it's basically the same people that made all of those, it doesn't surprise me): When it makes me laugh, it makes me laugh until my face and stomach hurt, but those laughs come at a rate of about once per 4-5 episodes. The rest of the time, it's stifilingly unfunny. The ratio just isn't good enough to warrant watching.

It's this weird strain of comedy where people stand around being awkward. Its funny to some people, but I don't get it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

twistedmentat posted:

It's this weird strain of comedy where people stand around being awkward. Its funny to some people, but I don't get it.

Yea, you gotta do that thing where you pay attention to get the jokes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tenzarin posted:

Yea, you gotta do that thing where you pay attention to get the jokes.

But there isn't a joke!

The scenes go

Character says something awkward
everyone stands around uncomfortably
next scene.

Unless the joke is that there is no joke, like some koan.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

next scene.
That rarely happens in Archer, at least in my experience. Could you give us some examples?

Like for Venture Brothers, I wouldn't recommend every Season 1 episode for Archer. Out of ten, I would only recommend five : Diversity Hire, Killing Utne, Honeypot (if there was only one, it would be this one), Skytanic and The Rock.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 19, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

If it were me I'd say "Skytanic". I've never seen "Nice read, Velma!" not get a laugh.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's been 9 years since I first saw Ghosts of Sargasso reruns during season 2s original run. I still yell at my roommate about following the ghost pirate rules and we always get a laugh. It's the best starter episode imo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's been 9 years since I first saw Ghosts of Sargasso reruns during season 2s original run. I still yell at my roommate about following the ghost pirate rules and we always get a laugh. It's the best starter episode imo.

Between "If you'd a played by the rules, the Ghost Pirate rules, none of this would have happened!" and "At the first sign of trouble I want you to at least break both his knee caps" that's probably one of the more quoted episodes in my social group too.

edit: was that also where "You're not a very good liar, are you Dean" "...maybe?" came from too? If so I think that's the most quotable episode the show's done.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Yo ho Mike

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can pinpoint the exact moment I started loving this show during that episode. It's when they finally see the ghost and the captain is stammering and he says "that is-just-wow no way!"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

notZaar posted:

I can pinpoint the exact moment I started loving this show during that episode. It's when they finally see the ghost and the captain is stammering and he says "that is-just-wow no way!"

Same

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The loving intro with major tom did it for me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

My sword's made of CAHRBOAHRD.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

The moment Brock crashes his car into the cocoon in episode 1 was the moment for me. It's a great episode 1.

"They hit me with a truck."

"Thank you for your very generous- crap, pesos. All these zeros are meaningless."

"Chupacabra, they're all over this part of Mexico."

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

But there isn't a joke!

The scenes go

next scene.

Unless the joke is that there is no joke, like some koan.

You're basically right, but this is why I love those shows. There aren't really any jokes, it's purely down to the delivery and the pacing of each line and how they carry these idiotic situations being funny in itself.

And you're also right in saying that it really isn't for everyone. I however would sell a kidney for more Sealab and Harvey Birdman.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Dabba Don is one of my favorite episodes of anything ever.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Do you dab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I dab.