Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

ConanThe3rd posted:

I just want to know what the deal is with "You've sure done it, haven't you, eighth generation?"

The ancestors are bitching at his dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I really want Kumoko to knock sensei and Shun down a peg. They're far too confident for things with only four limbs.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Desuwa posted:

I really want Kumoko to knock sensei and Shun down a peg. They're far too confident for things with only four limbs.

Jeez, and only two eyes? How does something even survive in this world while only being able to use two evil eyes at once?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Desuwa posted:

There's something like 15 years between Kumoko leaving the labyrinth and Shun reaching it (how old are Shun & co supposed to be, again?), by that point she'll have transcended to the next level of being and become an incorporeal ball of OP skills with a chokehold on the entire MA system, or something. Probably not "just" a spider anymore.

Though, the real nail-biter to look forward to in the inevitable meeting between those two is: Will Kumoko recognize his scarf?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I really like how even though Kumoko is outrageously powerful now, the story is still really engaging. Really goes to show how making advances feel earned can help. Although Slime Tensei and Re: Monster have their own unique flaws, they both powered up the protagonist way too fast and that pretty much killed the story. Even when Kumoko's had inflection points in her power level--like evolutions, or when she picked up Pride or Wisdom, she was still far from the strongest thing in the dungeon, and when she *did* eventually get to the point where she could kill Alaba, we'd already been shown that there are larger overarching concerns with the Administrators, and she still didn't feel comfortable taking on the remaining Earth Dragons as a group. She's on the surface now, and still has to face the problem of "I have no clue what anybody is saying, and if I just go around slaughtering humans I'll have an Adminstrator come in and wreck my poo poo".

It's really very well done.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

HenryEx posted:

There's something like 15 years between Kumoko leaving the labyrinth and Shun reaching it (how old are Shun & co supposed to be, again?), by that point she'll have transcended to the next level of being and become an incorporeal ball of OP skills with a chokehold on the entire MA system, or something. Probably not "just" a spider anymore.

Though, the real nail-biter to look forward to in the inevitable meeting between those two is: Will Kumoko recognize his scarf?
Shun's story has to be focused on how he reacts when he reaches taboo lvl10. If he doesn't have a solution beyond genocide a bunch of dudes he's going to entirely superfluous as a character.

I somehow doubt anyone is actually going to get anywhere near Kumoko wrt power level, that's not what the conflict is about is in the side chapters.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Somewhat minor spoiler from future chapters from comments apparently there's one person between Kumoko and Gyurigyuri/the administrators in terms of power that we haven't met, that isn't one of her classmates. The power gap is supposedly substantial.

Don't read those comments though. Learned my lesson.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I spent a couple of days reading the first five "volumes" of The New Gate, and it's not terrible. In fact, in terms of prose quality, it's probably in the upper echelon among web novels (which is not amazing praise, sadly).

Storywise, it's a weird hybrid of Sword Art Online's (initial) "death game" and Overlord's "game turns into reality and all my NPCs want to gently caress me", where the prologue has the protagonist defeat the final boss and save everyone from a VR game, only for him to be stuck by himself in the game now transformed into true reality.

It's unusually safe, even milder than Slime-thingie, without slavery for once, and no slobby sex anywhere (yet), so I can see it being easy to adapt into anime eventually. Sales for the light novel edition seem pretty decent as well. The only problem is that it can get kind of dull at times, because the protagonist is so ridiculously overpowered that tension is hard to build.

Someone's translating it too: http://shintranslations.com/the-new-gate-toc/

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jesus. Five new Kumokos today. I'm glad we got some answers but I did not see the rest of that coming. I wish my Japanese was better, but at the same time I'm glad I have more to look forward to each day.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Jesus. Five new Kumokos today. I'm glad we got some answers but I did not see the rest of that coming. I wish my Japanese was better, but at the same time I'm glad I have more to look forward to each day.

You still end up having to wait, though. Although at this rate, the translations should catch up with the original publication within two weeks.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

The world seems oddly spider-centric. I bet the world itself rests on the back of a really big spider.

e:

darkgray posted:

I spent a couple of days reading the first five "volumes" of The New Gate, and it's not terrible. In fact, in terms of prose quality, it's probably in the upper echelon among web novels (which is not amazing praise, sadly).

Storywise, it's a weird hybrid of Sword Art Online's (initial) "death game" and Overlord's "game turns into reality and all my NPCs want to gently caress me", where the prologue has the protagonist defeat the final boss and save everyone from a VR game, only for him to be stuck by himself in the game now transformed into true reality.

It's unusually safe, even milder than Slime-thingie, without slavery for once, and no slobby sex anywhere (yet), so I can see it being easy to adapt into anime eventually. Sales for the light novel edition seem pretty decent as well. The only problem is that it can get kind of dull at times, because the protagonist is so ridiculously overpowered that tension is hard to build.

Someone's translating it too: http://shintranslations.com/the-new-gate-toc/

I've read the first two translated volumes and it's not bad. The MC is horribly, horribly OP, even by the standards of these WNs, though he doesn't really let it get to his head. I guess most of the appeal for me is how the world has changed to deal with all the players logging out at once and the mythology that has sprung up about players over generations of the "NPCs" that were left behind. Not sure how it'll do for lasting appeal but if the next three volumes are worth reading it should be fine.

The similarities to SAO and Log Horizon are pretty obvious, though the game was popular for years before turning into a death game and that part of the setting is used as backstory rather than a major focus. It's no Overlord or Kumoko but I enjoyed what I read.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 16, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Does the Kumo author assume that we already know or understand what the hell is exactly going on with the take-over/eating mother thing? I feel like I missed a chapter or two somewhere, but as far as I remember the whole eating-thing was mentioned only twice and in passing. Hopefully the sidestory Remnants of the Nightmare will offer some more info.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

The way I read it is she attacked and absorbed her mother's soul, along with the other Queens.

Wasn't expecting her to have to restart, though since she still has her skills and her stats still appear even if they're "decreased" it should take nearly as long.

I was wondering what she was going to be doing for the next ten years but I guess we're not quite ready for a time skip.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Fleve posted:

Does the Kumo author assume that we already know or understand what the hell is exactly going on with the take-over/eating mother thing? I feel like I missed a chapter or two somewhere, but as far as I remember the whole eating-thing was mentioned only twice and in passing. Hopefully the sidestory Remnants of the Nightmare will offer some more info.

It seemed reasonably clear in the original text, so maybe the translation is muddling it up. Japanese happily omits the subject all the time, making it weird if you're not careful.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fleve posted:

Kumoko's soul was linked to her mother's, which created a path she sent a parallel will through to devour her mother's soul and steal her body (:yikes:). The demon lord had dominated 5 uber demons including Kumoko's mother. This provided more paths for Kumoko to take over those demons as well, though we don't know anything else about them yet. Also, we just learned that the elves have a similar nightmarish hive mind so the elf village probably isn't much of a safe haven.

Most of this was only explained after the queen taratect's soul was successfully eaten, but it has been hinted at ever since she hit taboo 10. Since the demon lord who had Shiro kill Julius is Kumoko (Shiro also being Kumoko), it seems pretty likely that she eventually managed to eat that soul too. However, that means we don't know what or where her main body is now. I mean, she didn't evolve into a humanoid demon and seize the throne like some of us thought. The remnants who are still hanging around the labyrinth seem to be dedicated skill grinders, so she probably isn't there either.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 18, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Mark your drat spoilers.

Fractial
Apr 28, 2005

When we spin we feel good.

Desuwa posted:

Mark your drat spoilers.

Seriously, that spoiled a lot of things.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
All of that was stuff from the currently translated chapters.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Never assume everyone is up to speed with where you are when talking about sensitive plot developments.

EDIT: Also, when someone asks you to tag your spoilers, even if you don't think they are, you should probably tag them anyway.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 18, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This page is covered with untagged spoilers for the same series. poo poo, this includes the post I quoted! So, exactly why did those two get butthurt about my post only? I didn't even mention anything from yesterday's update.

Edit: Motherfucker.

Desuwa posted:

The way I read it is she attacked and absorbed her mother's soul, along with the other Queens.

Wasn't expecting her to have to restart, though since she still has her skills and her stats still appear even if they're "decreased" it should take nearly as long.

I was wondering what she was going to be doing for the next ten years but I guess we're not quite ready for a time skip.

One of the two gay babies posted about the exact same topic as I did on this page with no tags, but then went on to include the latest update as well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 18, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Some of that stuff is definitely not in the translated chapters, or is supposition that's likely to be true. It was presented as facts so I reasonably believed it was a spoiler.

Now if the translated chapters mangled it so badly it wasn't recognizable when these things should have been known, well, that's a different issue but at least say so. At least from the translated chapters we still have no idea who Shiro is, or at least no firm idea. You're going to have to point it out to me if I missed something that paints a clear picture. I know I've misinterpreted some of the Engrish before, but even from the comments on the translation blog there are still wild theories about Shiro.

There's also no reason to believe she didn't evolve into a humanoid spider/arachne, she's been aiming for it all along. Anything is possible but barring contradictory evidence it's also pretty reasonable to assume the demon king is her main body, or at least was during the scenes where she was giving out orders.

e:

Serious Frolicking posted:

This page is covered with untagged spoilers for the same series. poo poo, this includes the post I quoted! So, exactly why did those two get butthurt about my post only? I didn't even mention anything from yesterday's update.

Edit: Motherfucker.

One of the two gay babies posted about the exact same topic as I did on this page with no tags, but then went on to include the latest update as well.

Yeah and we'd been tacitly okay with talking about the newest chapters in unmarked spoilers, though from now on I guess we'll all be more careful. What looked like massive, game changing, unmarked spoilers was a wake up call. I think it's reasonable to treat it like an anime where the newest batch of translated chapters should be spoilered but everything older than that is fair game.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 18, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Shiro went nuts for fruit. Kumoko runs multiple bodies and a sweet tooth is one of her defining traits. Plus, she just kind of looked at Julius and he turned to dust. I don't know where the heck that body came from, but it is totally Kumoko. Who knows, it might even be her main body.

As for the other thing, Kumoko was trying to take over the body of the currently reigning humanoid demon lord and then 15 years later Kumoko the humanoid demon is ruling over demons. So what, she beat the demon lord and then evolved into a very similar being? I'm also curious as to how a deranged social recluse managed to take a throne if she didn't take the butt that was seated there at the same time.

There are quite a few big mysteries left in this story, so why be deliberately obtuse?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Shiro went nuts for fruit. Kumoko runs multiple bodies and a sweet tooth is one of her defining traits. Plus, she just kind of looked at Julius and he turned to dust. I don't know where the heck that body came from, but it is totally Kumoko. Who knows, it might even be her main body.

As for the other thing, Kumoko was trying to take over the body of the currently reigning humanoid demon lord and then 15 years later Kumoko the humanoid demon is ruling over demons. So what, she beat the demon lord and then evolved into a very similar being? I'm also curious as to how a deranged social recluse managed to take a throne if she didn't take the butt that was seated there at the same time.

There are quite a few big mysteries left in this story, so why be deliberately obtuse?

There doesn't seem to be much point in Kumoko running both the demon king and Shiro at the same time, though it's not impossible and it is one of the more likely ideas. The other thing is we know the demon lord is new, because the generals don't recognize her power/right. If Ariel wanted to be demon lord Ariel would have been demon lord for thousands of years.

As for why she'd evolve into a humanoid, well, why not? It's been her goal for a long time even if she really doesn't have a logical reason for it, being a shut-in and all. Even if she gets to the point of having many bodies at once the fact that the egg she took over became her race shows that her "main" species means something, so presumably she'll level up at some point and choose to evolve.

Sure maybe some of those are pretty likely, but some aren't, and some alternatives that are just as reasonable are possible. It was not weird to assume your post was spoiling a bunch of things; your pet theories are generally reasonable after all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Desuwa posted:

The other thing is we know the demon lord is new, because the generals don't recognize her power/right. If Ariel wanted to be demon lord Ariel would have been demon lord for thousands of years.

Yeah, that's a good point. I overlooked that we know a demon lord recently died exploding a classroom, too.

As for Shiro, Kumoko is a giant nerd and has Kuro as a subordinate. She would totally bring in another body just to make a matched set. I dunno if any bodies have advantages beyond their basic form, either. If every body she controls has the same stats and skills, wouldn't the difference be largely cosmetic?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Kumoko's soul was linked to her mother's, which created a path she sent a parallel will through to devour her mother's soul and steal her body (:yikes:). The demon lord had dominated 5 uber demons including Kumoko's mother. This provided more paths for Kumoko to take over those demons as well, though we don't know anything else about them yet. Also, we just learned that the elves have a similar nightmarish hive mind so the elf village probably isn't much of a safe haven.

Most of this was only explained after the queen taratect's soul was successfully eaten, but it has been hinted at ever since she hit taboo 10. Since the demon lord who had Shiro kill Julius is Kumoko (Shiro also being Kumoko), it seems pretty likely that she eventually managed to eat that soul too. However, that means we don't know what or where her main body is now. I mean, she didn't evolve into a humanoid demon and seize the throne like some of us thought. The remnants who are still hanging around the labyrinth seem to be dedicated skill grinders, so she probably isn't there either.

The other monsters are also queens, they were probably spawned that way since Ariel is old enough to have lived before the system was created.

The elves probably aren't all part of a hivemind, that was elf-dad using a female body probably with parallel will.

A lot of details are just sort of mentioned in an offhand way so it can be hard to catch them.

Things we know from currently translated chapters that aren't spelled out directly:

D created the system for the world. There was probably some sort of Apocalypse involved (unclear if cause or effect) since Kumoko seems to think that's why tech levels are so low. D has an agent or scapegoat or some portion of herself in the world despite still being in Japan (check the numbers in K1 and what D said about 25 reincarnations).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm more interested in whether or not the "unification" with another monster consists only of a skill transfer from subjugated to main body, or if both sides get the benefits. The chapter wasn't entirely clear on that.

If it's the latter, there's really no "main body" anymore.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It doesn't really matter in the long run, that's why her character stats haven't gotten updated very regularly, its not really important anymore. From the side story chapters its clear that in a decade+ Kumoko isn't going to have any problems wrt having enough power to destroy humanity (and the demons) and even an admin like Kuro isn't opposing her so she really has no enemies that can or want to fight her.

The conflict has moved on to what's hidden by taboo and what she's going to do in regards to that. That's why I think how Shun reacts after he maxes taboo is important, his perspective is completely different and whatever he wants to do is definitely not going to be "kill a bunch of people".

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

This is one creepy as gently caress romance they've got going on in spider land.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Desuwa posted:

This is one creepy as gently caress romance they've got going on in spider land.

:catstare:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Algid posted:

The other monsters are also queens, they were probably spawned that way since Ariel is old enough to have lived before the system was created.

The elves probably aren't all part of a hivemind, that was elf-dad using a female body probably with parallel will.

A lot of details are just sort of mentioned in an offhand way so it can be hard to catch them.

Things we know from currently translated chapters that aren't spelled out directly:

D created the system for the world. There was probably some sort of Apocalypse involved (unclear if cause or effect) since Kumoko seems to think that's why tech levels are so low. D has an agent or scapegoat or some portion of herself in the world despite still being in Japan (check the numbers in K1 and what D said about 25 reincarnations).

Even if not all elves are part of a hive mind, the fact that any of them are means there is a body snatcher hanging around with the bulk of the reincarnated kids. Nice people generally don't eat souls, much less the souls of other people.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Elf-dad is the ruler of the elves, and no he's not a nice guy given what we know about him. Having multiple bodies doesn't mean you go around eating souls though, in fact, according to D, Kumoko is the only one to have done that. If anyone else tried it they would probably get massive soul damage from the attempt since they don't have heresy nullification.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Desuwa posted:

Man, you had me worried there when i read your post and saw one of the new chapters titled "Pimp"

but it just refers to Kumoko sending her children out to the streets to earn her money feed her, like lazy parents are wont to do.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It's not like they are going to complain and make the story into "Magical Girl Kumoko And Parent Child Counseling"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
When I get caught up in sperging about the details I sometimes forget how ridiculously funny kumoko can be. The latest sub-plot has killed me, and I am dead now.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

When I get caught up in sperging about the details I sometimes forget how ridiculously funny kumoko can be. The latest sub-plot has killed me, and I am dead now.

I love how they all talk like her. Or rather, talk how she thinks? God drat it Kumoko get Telepathy.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I loved the scene with Kumoko's kids, the 'remnants of the nightmare', when all the spiders speak to the hero using telepathy.
The hero turns around to see one remnant, and then suddenly a ton of them appear to fill the tunnel, and vanish just as quickly at the end.

The perspective of the old mage becoming kumoko's apprentice was great, because we saw both sides. Kumoko sees a bumbling old mage who talks at her incessantly while she ignores him as she goes about her day. The old guy also casts attack magic on himself. and ate a poison frog that he saw kumoko eat, getting violently ill. Kumoko does manage to get the fire, ice, and water magic skills by watching him use them and replicating it with magic extremity.

Roland went back to the labyrinth where he first saw her to die out of despair when he heard the spider was killed, and finds that she is alive where her old home was. Then he confirms that she is intelligent, and while she ignores him, he sees the 'passive' training kumoko does with magic to strengthen it and her resistances, and sees it as revolutionary, trying it on himself with all his magic. He considers himself her apprentice because he is learning so much by simply watching her and the magic she casts, even if she decides to ignore him. He decides to eat the same things kumoko eats after his rations run out since he is her 'apprentice'. While he is sick, he is very grateful to kumoko for the chance to acquire 'gross feeder' a title he has not heard of.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 19, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Somebody in the comments section of Kumo mentioned it, but there's another web novel featuring psychic spiders called Mother of Learning. The twist is: It's written in English. The other twist is: It's really well written.

You can read it here. The basic plot is an average wizard student gets stuck in a groundhog day type situation.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Regarding Kumoko chapters 175+:

I thought the "nightmare remnants" were suposed to be her spawn that she left behind in the labyrinth, because there's supposed to be so many of them and she laid like a thousand eggs. But are they actually Parallel Wills? Just how many of those does she have!?
And if it's not the Wills... How'd they all inherit her skills like Appraisal and Language? We know they didn't start out with it.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 19, 2015

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

HenryEx posted:

And if it's not the Wills... How'd they all inherit her skills like Appraisal and Language? We know they didn't start out with it.

We have already seen that Kumoko is trying very hard to believe they don't have human-grade intelligence. We also know that the stronger a monster is, the more intelligent it is. So they'll get those skills on their own.

Oh, and Kumoko doesn't 'ignore' Ronant. He is eye candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arkeus posted:

We have already seen that Kumoko is trying very hard to believe they don't have human-grade intelligence. We also know that the stronger a monster is, the more intelligent it is. So they'll get those skills on their own.

Oh, and Kumoko doesn't 'ignore' Ronant. He is eye candy.
And a tutorial on the magic schools she hasn't acquired yet.

Which reminds me: Since she kept all her skills after "reincarnating", we know that skill set is bound to the soul, while stats are bound to the body. It makes me wonder whether all the Wills share one skill pool now, so that even if they are controlling separate bodies, if one of them learns, let's say, a new magic, all of them receive the skill. 'Cuz then she can't just multithread-grind mental skills now, but even bodily ones like resistances, recoveries and the like.

• Locked thread