Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Keeshhound posted:

So Flash can see the explosions happening, and avoid them. But he can't see Deathstroke point his sword behind him at normal (for comics) human speed? Like, it doesn't matter that he's predicting where Flash will go, the only way this plan works, even contained to just this scene and ignoring all other depictions, is for Flash to see the sword pointing backwards and still decide to run into it.

This Flash is actually Hal Jordan. It's the only way to explain that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
THORS 003

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This Flash is actually Hal Jordan. It's the only way to explain that.

Also, he's standing less than a meter away from three high energy explosions. Even if they're shaped charges, he's pretty much positioned himself inside of a triangle of bonfires, wearing full body spandex. God, he must smell rank by the end of that issue.

Like, "bacon left in the back of a sedan for the entirety of July in Arizona," stank.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

So Flash can see the explosions happening, and avoid them. But he can't see Deathstroke point his sword behind him at normal (for comics) human speed? Like, it doesn't matter that he's predicting where Flash will go, the only way this plan works, even contained to just this scene and ignoring all other depictions, is for Flash to see the sword pointing backwards and still decide to run into it.

See the thing is Identity Crisis is a bad comic.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 18, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
As a counterpoint (not to truly defend IC), it's kinda conceptually difficult to have a villain that can take down Flash that isn't a speedster if they're assuming his perceptive powers are also superfast- it's the typical Superman problem.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even ignoring the conceptual problems of the Flash stuff, that fight is the definition of an author indulging in his fantasy to the detriment of the narrative.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'll definitely grant that presenting fights with heroes like the Flash or Superman is a really tricky challenge, but I find myself questioning if having Deathstroke fight Flash was really vital to the story in the first place (full disclosure, I have not read Identity Crisis.) It seems to me like one of the first things you need to do when storyboarding a fight scene is to make sure that the combatants are a reasonable matchup in the first place, and if they aren't, you need to be very careful that it doesn't become a case of obvious writer fiat.

That's why Batman does not, as a general rule, wind up fighting Darkseid one on one, and why when he does he never wins by just punching him until he cries uncle. And for the same reason, why Hawkeye has never (to my knowledge) been in a ten round cage match with Galactus.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Keeshhound posted:

Hawkeye has never (to my knowledge) been in a ten round cage match with Galactus.

Kate could take him.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If Flash can't think as fast as he moves it must really suck to just be running into/through walls/people all the time because his eyes can't process the information fast enough to let hiim move out of the way.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

Hawkeye has never (to my knowledge) been in a ten round cage match with Galactus.

Well not on his own but with his good pals Phoenix Wright and Mike Haggar he can take Big G down in the story mode of Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The speed of thought thing is usually a handwaved narrative convenience, like most of the elements of flash and superman- but that narrative convenience needs to move both ways. The plot of IC was such that they needed someone who could gimmick their way out of individual Justice League heavies, then be dragged down by several justice league members at once to hit the next story beat. Given the other really horrible things that IC did, the contrivance of "non-speedster/wizard/psychic able to do anything against the Flash" is really the very last thing to complain about.

edit: the hawkeye/galactus thing is a great exemplar of the difference in companies at this point- I could totally see that being contrived up as a joke, whereas DC...and especially IC...it would end badly.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That fight is a good example of why Marv Wolfman was always writing Wally West out of Teen Titans.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Superheroes getting owned by semi-regular guy villains is great, much like godlike supervillains getting owned by Batman or Captain America.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The Flash can at least stop instantly otherwise deathstroke would have gotten turned into a pink mist.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Toshimo posted:

Kate could take him.

Omg, now I'm picturing a Kate/Squirrel Girl team up!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

Mike Haggar

The man who wrestled so hard they made him Mayor :swoon:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

TwoPair posted:

Well not on his own but with his good pals Phoenix Wright and Mike Haggar he can take Big G down in the story mode of Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Well, yeah. If I had Mike Haggar backing me up, I could probably take down Galactus. That's just science.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Keeshhound posted:

Well, yeah. If I had Mike Haggar backing me up, I could probably take down Galactus. That's just science.

I'm pretty sure I've seen him spinning pile drive Galactus at least once.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Discendo Vox posted:

edit: the hawkeye/galactus thing is a great exemplar of the difference in companies at this point- I could totally see that being contrived up as a joke, whereas DC...and especially IC...it would end badly.

In Mini-Marvels they actually went the opposite direction with the joke, and made Hawkeye the next Herald, and he even got a Galactus Hat of his own :3:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

The speed of thought thing is usually a handwaved narrative convenience, like most of the elements of flash and superman- but that narrative convenience needs to move both ways.

New52 Flash had a nice point early on of allowing Flash to speed up his mind but it ended up loving him over because by doing so he basically got caught up processing all possibilities of everything happening around him.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

TwoPair posted:

See the thing is Identity Crisis is a bad comic.

It wasn't great, but I genuinely appreciated the tenseness and urgency of the Tim Drake stuff.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Discendo Vox posted:

If there are any Marvel writers or artists reading this thread, I promise not to take any action, legal or otherwise, that would compromise the profitability of a one-shot where Hawkeye and Galactus go ten rounds in some sort of cosmic boxing ring, or steel cage.

Seriously, if you make it happen, I will cede any legal claim I have on the idea to you.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Pym particles shrink Galactus to the size of a normal human. He retains the proportional strength of Galactus. Fight.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Die Laughing posted:

That fight is a good example of why Marv Wolfman was always writing Wally West out of Teen Titans.

If I recall the back matter from the IC hardcover correctly, Meltzer's idea was that Slade was meant to be using their powers against them (which doesn't exactly explain how Black Canary is incapacitated when he puts a bag over her head and handcuffs her) and he made a point of remarking about how he's beaten when everyone dogpiles him without using their powers.

I think this was the start of that whole "Deathstroke is a top-tier bad guy!" thing DC was pushing in the mid-2000s.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Toshimo posted:

Pym particles shrink Galactus to the size of a normal human. He retains the proportional strength of Galactus. Fight.

This is turning into one of those "would Mike Ditka win" sketches on SNL. I approve.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Uthor posted:

This is turning into one of those "would Mike Ditka win" sketches on SNL. I approve.

What would be the score in a football game between little person Ditka, and a whole team of Galactuses?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Toshimo posted:

Galactus' size is symbolic more than anything. Shrinking him would not improve your chances.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Choco1980 posted:

What would be the score in a football game between little person Ditka, and a whole team of Galactuses?

Ditka 372 - Galactus 2

Now if one of those Galactus was named Ditka I'd have to actually think about it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lurdiak posted:

Galactus' size is symbolic more than anything. Shrinking him would not improve your chances.

You suck at this game.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Wheat Loaf posted:

If I recall the back matter from the IC hardcover correctly, Meltzer's idea was that Slade was meant to be using their powers against them (which doesn't exactly explain how Black Canary is incapacitated when he puts a bag over her head and handcuffs her)

With the bag on her head she thought it was night time and fell asleep.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Traxus IV posted:

:applause:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Uthor posted:

Omg, now I'm picturing a Kate/Squirrel Girl team up!

That's the backup story in the Aja/Fraction Hawkfist/Immortal Iron Guy book.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Traxus IV posted:

Seems legit.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ygolonac posted:

That's the backup story in the Aja/Fraction Hawkfist/Immortal Iron Guy book.
You have no idea how sad I am because I just realized you made that book up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Seems legit.

Makes as much sense as the rest.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I think the idea of a batman type super planning character using everyone's powers against them only to lose because they're like eight guys and he's one guy and they all sit on him is good.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The coolest C-level villains, the Wrecking Crew. I love the concept of just a bunch of dumb tough guys with actually impressive power.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The coolest C-level villains, the Wrecking Crew. I love the concept of just a bunch of dumb tough guys with actually impressive power.

One of them is actually smart, right? He just likes hanging out with his dumb friends?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thor God of Thunder #17

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TwoPair posted:

Thor God of Thunder #17

This scene always bothered me because the resolution to the God Butcher arc was supposed to be that everyone forgot it.