Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So much love for Expedit/Kallax, it's multifunctional, inexpensive and easily modified :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KozmoNaut posted:

So much love for Expedit/Kallax, it's multifunctional, inexpensive and easily modified :)

Thinkin' about replacing my Expedit with a Nornas, tbh.....

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I looked at that too, but 1) no option for hanging on walls, and 2) it looks too much like office furniture IMHO

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
It would appear I've been gifted a NAD 5025 turntable. Hooked it up, sounds excellent. I've got a few records grandma gave to me which I haven't sold in the hopes I would one day have a record player. I think I'm going to have a bit of coffee and listen to some music.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Their stuff is crazy overpriced new but I love their amps. Never used one of their turntables.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dogen posted:

Their stuff is crazy overpriced new but I love their amps. Never used one of their turntables.

Like it's not worth what it costs or it's really expensive? I've ways thought of NAD as sort of budget conscious for higher end stuff.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
It seems I've already run into the first problem. When I apply a brush on a dusty record, the platter stops spinning and doesn't start up until I re-seat the belt. What should I look for, other than maybe changing the belt?

e: gently caress. Well, a new one is cheaply available on Ebay...

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 31, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

E: you definitely need a new belt.

NAD stuff is pretty reasonably priced, at the same level as other mainstream hi-fi component brands like Cambridge, Denon, Rotel, Technics etc.

Sure, it's more expensive than all-in-one plastic mini stereos, but you also get higher quality for the money.

Not to say that there isn't cheaper gear out there that's also good, but in the overall picture, NAD gear is quite budget conscious and well built.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

BigFactory posted:

Like it's not worth what it costs or it's really expensive? I've ways thought of NAD as sort of budget conscious for higher end stuff.

I think their amps are great but their AVRs are overpriced.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's true, and they're chronically behind on features. You definitely get the feeling that it isn't their core market.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I say this someone who has had a T770 and a T762, both of which died out of warranty and we're going to be unreasonably expensive to fix. My dad has a T763 still going strong and some older hi fi equipment from them and it sounds great. I actually just got him some Klipsch RF-82 IIs on clearance for his birthday and they sound loving amazing with the 763.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
:siren::boom::boom::boom:http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/02/panasonic-reviving-technics-turntables/:boom::boom::boom::siren:

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Awesome, I sold my 1200 a few weeks ago and regret doing it, I kind of hope they do automatic/semi auto stuff as well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That is really good news. I hope they really mean it when they say it's a true 1200, and not just one of those super OEM rebrands like Pioneer etc. are selling. They're nowhere near as good as the real thing.

And I hope they fix that stupid VTA adjustment ring that likes to freeze solid if you don't use it for a year or so. The one on my 1210 is 100% frozen solid, but I fear fixing it will just damage the whole thing, luckily the current height is fine for the cartridge I'm using.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's an all new design, so who knows? At least it's a good sign that they're investing money in design work instead of just setting up a new 1200 line.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I don't think we'll ever see a turntable the same caliber as the 1200 at its price point (economies of scale, etc.).

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Hey y'all vinyl heads,

I was pretty excited to find a mint looking copy of Donald Fagan's Nightfly at the thrift for $1.50 Thursday, but when I got around to putting on the turntable, it sounded terribly distorted. I've tried a few other records and it's happening with all of them now. Checked my connections, and I don' t think there's anything wrong with the amp. Do I just need a new cartridge maybe? I do play a lot of dirty records from teh thrifts on it, and I figure I may have destroyed the cart. Is that what a damaged cartridge sounds like?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Define the distortion you're hearing. A lot of sibilance?

It could be that your cartridge got knocked out of alignment or your cantilever is bent. Or simply that your stylus is worn out. How many hours of use has it had? Playing a lot of dirty records would definitely wear it out faster. The stylus might just need cleaning.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SnakePlissken posted:

Hey y'all vinyl heads,

I was pretty excited to find a mint looking copy of Donald Fagan's Nightfly at the thrift for $1.50 Thursday, but when I got around to putting on the turntable, it sounded terribly distorted. I've tried a few other records and it's happening with all of them now. Checked my connections, and I don' t think there's anything wrong with the amp. Do I just need a new cartridge maybe? I do play a lot of dirty records from teh thrifts on it, and I figure I may have destroyed the cart. Is that what a damaged cartridge sounds like?

Odds are the stylus is just dirty. There are many different products available to clean them, just don't use anything too harsh. I like the little bottles of cleaning solution with the mascara-like brush in the cap. Remember to always clean in the same direction the record spins, from back to front.

If you're buying used records, you really should wash them before you play them. Records are a lot tougher than people think as long as you don't scratch then, so don't be afraid to give them a wash. I use ordinary dishwashing liquid, a soft paintbrush and warm water (not lukewarm, but not too hot either). Go in a circular motion so you follow the grooves, and rinse off. And try not to soak the labels, paper doesn't like getting wet. Dry off with a microfiber towel.

Your records will be proper shiny and black again, and you'll reduce both surface noise and wear on your stylus.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Yeah, thanks all for the good advice. I'll try to clean it again. And I do wash the records. In fact, here's my basic method. I make a solution of about 25% alcohol, 75% purified water, and the tiniest bit of detergent, like less than .1%. I have some good spray bottles that give a very fine mist. I go through the microfiber cloths pretty fast, and I do it by first misting the cloth, passing it over the vinyl to pick up as much loose dirt and dust as possible, then I move the arm so the platter is spinning, spray a fine mist on the record until it's pretty wet, usually 20 squirts with a fine atomizer, then I put the cover over the record, let it sit for a minute, then with the arm back in the off position, I very gently hold a fresh microfiber over the vinyl, rotate the record until the cloth has picked up as much as possible of the moisture as possible, and then if the record is really dirty, I may have to repeat. Usually that's all it takes. I do buy some very dirty records. Actually, lots and lots of them.

And BANME.sh, the distortion has a lot of sibilance, but it mostly sounds like it's overdriving, like you get with a guitar amp, sorta.

SnakePlissken fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 4, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Does your turntable have a built in pre-amp? Are you double pre-amping your signal?

A cheap method to clean the stylus is get a magic eraser and rip off a little square of it. Dip your stylus into it, preferably using the cueing mechanism on your turntable. Dip it a few times, up and down moving to a clean spot on the sponge each time. Be careful not to move it side to side at all.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Also if you're buying dollar bin records a lot at a time it doesn't hurt to have an extra cart and headshell with a durable cheap stylus to check them out. But you should still give them a quick clean first.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Look at this nonsense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4hKgkyPVt8

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
How do you queue it without making a mess? Maybe a large syringe that you either push or pull to change the height of the water.

Doesn't he know that if you put gold fish in the water, their slime changes the properties of the water enough to give better lows. Guppies are if you prefer better highs.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Dogen posted:

Also if you're buying dollar bin records a lot at a time it doesn't hurt to have an extra cart and headshell with a durable cheap stylus to check them out. But you should still give them a quick clean first.

BANME.sh posted:

Does your turntable have a built in pre-amp? Are you double pre-amping your signal?

A cheap method to clean the stylus is get a magic eraser and rip off a little square of it. Dip your stylus into it, preferably using the cueing mechanism on your turntable. Dip it a few times, up and down moving to a clean spot on the sponge each time. Be careful not to move it side to side at all.

Thanks, both, for the great advice. I'm going to try the magic eraser today sometime.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
I just picked up a Technics SL-1900 turntable; it is in excellent condition and everything works. With one infuriating exception: It is missing a foot and spring. Looking online, I am not willing to buy 4 feet just to replace the one. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a makeshift foot for the time being?

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
What I've done in the past if the table allows it is take the 3rd foot and put it in the back in the middle, but that's only worked for tables that the springs and post don't go up into the body of the turntable. There are a couple ones that might work while searching on ebay for "technics sl feet" that you might get 4 but might only set you back ten/twenty bucks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
You could see about making a temporary substitute out of wood or a similar material if you're crafty.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

TooLShack posted:

What I've done in the past if the table allows it is take the 3rd foot and put it in the back in the middle, but that's only worked for tables that the springs and post don't go up into the body of the turntable. There are a couple ones that might work while searching on ebay for "technics sl feet" that you might get 4 but might only set you back ten/twenty bucks.

Unfortunately they go into the body; through recesses in the body. I used a piece of styrofoam to prop that corner up so it will be good for now. Looking online, the 1900 feet are only cross compatible with the 1950 from what I have seen, and there aren't many up for sale right now. When some pop up I will probably purchase them.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You can get one SL1200 foot from KAB for $20, I assume they're the same?

Edit: maybe not then

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I posted this in the music discussion Vinyl thread because I'm the worst.

So, I picked up a AT14Sa cartridge from a flea market yesterday for $10. I'm running a mid range system and it's kind of overkill.

I've tested it and it works. I checked ebay and less complete version of the cartridge run for $250. Any advice, goons?

https://imgur.com/a/PlGgq

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
If you feel you don't need it, sell it so you can buy more records or upgrade the weakest part if your current system.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rufus T. Turnbuckle posted:

I posted this in the music discussion Vinyl thread because I'm the worst.

So, I picked up a AT14Sa cartridge from a flea market yesterday for $10. I'm running a mid range system and it's kind of overkill.

I've tested it and it works. I checked ebay and less complete version of the cartridge run for $250. Any advice, goons?

https://imgur.com/a/PlGgq

As it's a high-compliance system: if you have a very light tonearm on your record player, keep using it I guess? If not, sell it someone who does.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Alternatively, UPGRADE YOUR SYSTEM AROUND IT :black101:

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
As much as I want to take your advice Electric Bugaloo, I put it up on eBay.

I was really torn, the thing is really pretty and my Sony PS-X7 has a pretty light arm. But, my speakers are trash, they're bringing my whole system down. I can get some nice speakers if I can move that.

Thanks!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Changing $10 into $250 sounds like a pretty good deal. Nice find!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Does there exist any in-line devices that could add a variable delay to audio? I could probably do this with a computer but it would be really handy if there was some box that I could just add to the tape out/monitor on my receiver for $20 or something. It seems like a simple function but I suppose it requires a digital solution.

Yes, this is for sports.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A delay probably?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

Does there exist any in-line devices that could add a variable delay to audio? I could probably do this with a computer but it would be really handy if there was some box that I could just add to the tape out/monitor on my receiver for $20 or something. It seems like a simple function but I suppose it requires a digital solution.

Yes, this is for sports.

use this as an input source (assuming you want the radio broadcast to match TV)

http://www.sportsyncradio.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

use this as an input source (assuming you want the radio broadcast to match TV)

http://www.sportsyncradio.com/

That looks good, thanks. The more I thought about it, I might just try to find an old netbook for cheap and go with software after all.