Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Being linked to the movies is what saved AoS. Pre Winter Soldier/HYDRA, it was garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Honestly anyone who hires a Whedon for TV stuff should set aside budget for them to write and shoot a season 1 you're never actually going to air so they get all the kinks out of their system.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Whizbang posted:

Honestly anyone who hires a Whedon for TV stuff should set aside budget for them to write and shoot a season 1 you're never actually going to air so they get all the kinks out of their system.

Ha, that's pretty genius. It would work for most sitcoms too, though you could get away with only doing that for about the first several episodes, as opposed to entire first seasons.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Most shows that went on to become iconic had terrible first seasons. Thing is these days networks want an out of the gate hit, and aren't willing to wait a full season for a show to work out its kinks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Buffy had a really good first season, actually. It was also pleasantly self-contained instead of building things up it had no intention of paying off until season 3.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Skwirl posted:

I'd say there's probably more people who watch SHIELD simply because it's tangentially connected to the movies than avoid it because of lack of concrete crossovers.

Probably.

Anyway, with the recent Marvel reorganization, any remotely substantive crossover in the TV->film direction is even less likely than it was before. I still think some sort of Easter egg and/or very brief cameo is more likely than not to happen eventually, but that's it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jscolon2.0 posted:

Being linked to the movies is what saved AoS. Pre Winter Soldier/HYDRA, it was garbage.

I'd say it was garbage in part because it had to tread water for 16 episodes waiting for Winter Soldier to start the real plot, while being banned from even hinting towards it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I'd say it was garbage in part because it had to tread water for 16 episodes waiting for Winter Soldier to start the real plot, while being banned from even hinting towards it.

That's a load. They could've just told compelling other stories that set up the world before dropping the BIG EARTH SHATTERING TWIST instead of twiddling their thumbs waiting for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MikeJF posted:

I'd say it was garbage because the show is garbage, has always been garbage and will always be garbage. They've gotten some good actors to do their damned best with the material, but if I wanted that I'd watch Blacklist.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I think you'll find that the show currently is in fact is not garbage.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Agents of SHIELD is a Good Show

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Most shows that went on to become iconic had terrible first seasons. Thing is these days networks want an out of the gate hit, and aren't willing to wait a full season for a show to work out its kinks.

This is spot-on. Cheers and The Simpsons wouldn't have made it past mid-season in the current environment.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I enjoy Agents of Shield more than any of the actual Marvel movies currently.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

This is spot-on. Cheers and The Simpsons wouldn't have made it past mid-season in the current environment.

Not just that, but Friends, Seinfeld, Hill Street Blues, and X files all had terrible first seasons with low ratings. I think cheers was 51 our of 52 shows that year or something. But someone at network saw something in the show and kept it on. Same with the others. I read that it was American Idol that screwed it up, because it was such a huge juggernaut from the start every show on the air had to capture its something like 60% share or something insane like that, which was unheard of at the time. So if something couldn't bring in that kind of number, it was gone. Though I think things have changed once again, and networks are willing to let shows have low, but dedicated viewer bases and keep them on tv.

While not ratings getters, I think both Community and 30 Rock had strong first seasons, or at least settled in pretty early.

I really loved last year, because it that the first year I was watching network tv again. Yea Got Ham wasn't very good, but it was decent thing to watch for an hour, if only for Bullock. Then there was AoS, Flash and Arrow, so I had something on 3 nights out of the week, which was more tv that I'd watched in years.

I'm still really really iffy on legends on tomorrow, maybe if it didn't feel like they slapped together a 3rd show using mostly existing characters rather than making a show based off a new hero. Though I'm way more sold on Supergirl after seeing more previews for it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The first season of X-Files was not terrible. There are a handful of really bad episodes but also some of the best.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, isn't the Toombs episode like the second or third one in the entire series? It's a good episode.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

AOS S1 isn't horrible. A lot of the episode are really, just average. They're okay for a spy/monster of the week type thing. A lot of the first half of S1 comes back in the second half or in S2 and makes it worthwhile. It also isn't nearly as bad watching it in a chunk than it was watching it live, with several breaks. The only good actor in S1 first half is Coulson. I don't know if people took acting classes or started trying rather than phoning it in but it just got better. And s2 was consistently good and does a lot of world building for the MCU, especially in terms of Inhumans.

Daredevil fortunately didn't have a single bad episode.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, isn't the Toombs episode like the second or third one in the entire series? It's a good episode.

Also Beyond the Sea is my personal favourite episode

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, "Beyond the Sea" is also great.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Lurdiak posted:

That's a load. They could've just told compelling other stories that set up the world before dropping the BIG EARTH SHATTERING TWIST instead of twiddling their thumbs waiting for it.

I get the sense that they were creatively kneecapped by ABC as well, in that the network seemed to want a show that would appeal to people who don't watch the films.

Also, Studios' draconian restrictions went beyond HYDRA - the showrunners said that they were extremely limited in how much they could use superpowered characters until late in the season.

The creators aren't blameless, of course, but I don't get the sense they were working in an environment conducive to doing their best work.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Red Tornado looks... interesting.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/353363-first-look-at-red-tornado-from-supergirl-revealed#/slide/1

That thing around his neck is the biggest thing bothering me at the moment.

Edit: The fact that this looks somewhat comparable to the Apocalypse costume in a huge budget film is hilarious (because that Apocalypse costume looks like something from a cheap TV show.)

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 19, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
he looks like vision, which I guess is appropriate considering the weird parallels between those characters

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Outside of the armor, there really isn't much else that could be done. He will probably look more distinct from Vision in motion, since he won't have a layer of digital makeup touching him up at all times. I think they made a mistake with that armor though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah, if the effect was to try and make him look like a robot then they hosed up. he just looks like a red guy in armor.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

notthegoatseguy posted:

AOS S1 isn't horrible. A lot of the episode are really, just average. They're okay for a spy/monster of the week type thing. A lot of the first half of S1 comes back in the second half or in S2 and makes it worthwhile. It also isn't nearly as bad watching it in a chunk than it was watching it live, with several breaks. The only good actor in S1 first half is Coulson. I don't know if people took acting classes or started trying rather than phoning it in but it just got better. And s2 was consistently good and does a lot of world building for the MCU, especially in terms of Inhumans.

Daredevil fortunately didn't have a single bad episode.

I kind of had a hard time paying attention or staying awake in that one episode with the blind people in the heroin factory.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ugh that's fugly. I think that's the first TV costume that I've truly hated. The face is okay, but the foamy armor thing is balls.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hakkesshu posted:

The first season of X-Files was not terrible. There are a handful of really bad episodes but also some of the best.

I'm talking ratings wise.

ToastyPotato posted:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/353363-first-look-at-red-tornado-from-supergirl-revealed#/slide/1

Edit: The fact that this looks somewhat comparable to the Apocalypse costume in a huge budget film is hilarious (because that Apocalypse costume looks like something from a cheap TV show.)

That looks awful, and its really obvious a copy of Vision.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

That looks like a picture of a loving toy that somebody spray painted darker red. Jesus I thought I had problems with Arrow's Atom costume but this is just... so much worse.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wow, that... is unfortunate. I'd say I hope it looks better on screen, but yikes it would be hard not to.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
That armor is like sub-cosplay level. Between that and Diggle's terrible half Magneto thing, some people at DC costuming needs to be fired.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

The gently caress are you talking about? The first season of Cheers is awesome, and while the first season of The Simpsons may not be it's best, it's still really drat good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

The gently caress are you talking about? The first season of Cheers is awesome, and while the first season of The Simpsons may not be it's best, it's still really drat good.

Again, we're talking about ratings

wikipedia posted:

After premiering on September 30, 1982, it was nearly canceled during its first season when it ranked last in ratings for its premiere (74th out of 77 shows).

Whizbang posted:

That armor is like sub-cosplay level. Between that and Diggle's terrible half Magneto thing, some people at DC costuming needs to be fired.

Yea, i cannot imagine anyone thinking that helmet is a good idea. I bet it will show up for like 4 episodes, then vanish never to be seen again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Wow, that... is unfortunate. I'd say I hope it looks better on screen, but yikes it would be hard not to.

The Red Tornado is ugly as sin to begin with. The fact that the tv version is worse than the comic book one is almost an accomplishment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We haven't seen Red Tornado in any clips yet so we don't know how it'll really look on TV.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

As always with Red Tornado...

gently caress off, boring Vision.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Yes? That's sort of the whole point? Good and eventually super-successful shows would've been canned due to bad ratings because of impatient networks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Yes? That's sort of the whole point? Good and eventually super-successful shows would've been canned due to bad ratings because of impatient networks.

Both those shows had excellent ratings in their first season.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Both those shows had excellent ratings in their first season.

Cheers infamously bombed early and was almost cancelled. I may have been thinking of the move to opposite Cosby for the Simpsons thing, to be fair.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Cheers infamously bombed early and was almost cancelled. I may have been thinking of the move to opposite Cosby for the Simpsons thing, to be fair.

Fine, Cheers is still a much better way to waste your time than SHIELD.

Also fans of Cheers don't defend it by saying "yeah the first 16 episodes are terrible, but then it gets good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pfft, Cheers is for old people.