Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Artless Meat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8lN727HKNk

Battleships are totally defenseless against Omahas.

They weren't even well driven Omahas, and look how much damage you took with only one focussing fire on you while killing it, with the help of an island to hide behind for huge portions of the combat. They made every single mistake you could possibly make while fighting a battleship in an Omaha and still nearly killed you.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

They weren't even well driven Omahas, and look how much damage you took with only one focussing fire on you while killing it, with the help of an island to hide behind for huge portions of the combat.

poo poo, Omahas can fire from multiple directions at once. You're right, cruisers are OP.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

ArchangeI posted:

Isn't that the fire control? That's a separate upgrade.

No the C-Hull can actually shoot farther than the B-Hull

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Astroniomix posted:

No the C-Hull can actually shoot farther than the B-Hull

Why doesn't the game tell you that :psyduck:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

ArchangeI posted:

Why doesn't the game tell you that :psyduck:

It does, you just have to know where to look.

When you have an upgrade selected expanding the stats tabs on the right will show exactly what that upgrade changes.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

They weren't even well driven Omahas, and look how much damage you took with only one focussing fire on you while killing it, with the help of an island to hide behind for huge portions of the combat. They made every single mistake you could possibly make while fighting a battleship in an Omaha and still nearly killed you.

Oh come on. I would agree that fire damage should be reduced ever so slightly, and Omahas are DPM machines, but they are easy for BBs to kill, even when they try to angle.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

PirateBob posted:

Oh come on. I would agree that fire damage should be reduced ever so slightly, and Omahas are DPM machines, but they are easy for BBs to kill, even when they try to angle.

Angle? Yeah no, that's not how you drive an Omaha when fighting battleships. You don't even need the armour you don't have, you simply dodge all the shots when you drive it properly. Their calamitous mistakes included sailing in straight lines, sailing within 10km, and not concentrating fire considering there were three of them.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PirateBob posted:

They are easy kills at that range, but the 2nd Omaha wasn't even firing (probably because he wanted to torp lol). If he was he wouldn't have died.

Yeah at that range angling wouldn't matter on the Omaha, it's made of paper and as shown in the video AP just shredded through the bow anyway. In my opinion though, the Omaha is in a good spot since you can pretty much citadel it with AP even at long range. The Cleveland though, I've seen it, and had it bounce AP at that short range and angle all the freakin' time.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 19, 2015

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

PirateBob posted:

I still think that making it so that you can only have one fire on your ship at a time would fix it. From my experience fire doesn't usually become a problem until you have 2 or even 3 going at once.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I was in a match last night with my Omaha and was doing pretty well. Player whose destroyer I'd just wrecked claimed I was aim-botting because "all your shots are landing". My response was for him to stop being such a loving bad boat driver and running in a straight line. I also encouraged him to report me. Teammate laughed at him and said that aim-bots have been broken since Closed Beta and to go cry to his mom. All in all a very satisfying evening.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
We should buff the Omaha until those 3 players can beat a New York in it, everyone ok with that. Also apply all those buffs to the Murmansk, thanks in advance.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

We should buff the Omaha until those 3 players can beat a New York in it, everyone ok with that. Also apply all those buffs to the Murmansk, thanks in advance.

Don't forget the marblehead too.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Astroniomix posted:

I still think that making it so that you can only have one fire on your ship at a time would fix it. From my experience fire doesn't usually become a problem until you have 2 or even 3 going at once.

2 perhaps. After one of the latest patches there are now 4 fire zones, which is simply ridiculous.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

NTRabbit posted:

Hmm, yes, this fight where one ship took on three and wrecked their faces by itself without support is clearly a sign those three ships were very overpowered, yes.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

PirateBob posted:

2 perhaps. After one of the latest patches there are now 4 fire zones, which is simply ridiculous.
There's been 4 fire zones (one for each HP Pool, the Bow/Stern/Midsection/Superstructure) for a very long time now. I believe all that changed was that DDs now can have 4 fires instead of 3 max (basically, adding the chance of Superstructure fire).

NTRabbit posted:

Angle? Yeah no, that's not how you drive an Omaha when fighting battleships.
I'm sure with your 10 total Omaha class hull games, you're qualified to make observations on the play of the Omaha class.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Night10194 posted:

Hmm, yes, this fight where one ship took on three and wrecked their faces by itself without support is clearly a sign those three ships were very overpowered, yes.

That's as bad as pointing at the server wide stats and saying they mean more than specific ones. He didn't take on three good players simultaneosly and destroy them, he took on three incredibly bad players one at a time in a map situation that hugely favoured him. The last Omaha even managed to give a textbook display of someone lacking object permanence.

Hazdoc posted:

I'm sure with your 10 total Omaha class hull games, you're qualified to make observations on the play of the Omaha class.

Speaking of lacking object permanance, I've already said several times I ground through it and most of the way through the Cleveland during CBT before the wipe, and from that point in time there have been practically nil changes to any of the mechanics involving surface ships, bar them tweaking the fire damage up, and the addition of the new smoke-a-way and engine boost consumables.

The way to play the Omaha is to use your superior speed to set the engagement range just inside your max range, use the superior agility to easily dodge battleship rounds coming from that range by never sailing in straight lines or at constant speed, and vomit highly accurate HE damage into them that retains a high number of shells per volley no matter which part of your ship is pointed at the battleship at any given time. All the fire damage in the world, and short of a very lucky hit causing a devastating strike you simple won't be sunk. If you're playing your Omaha against battleships any other way you're doing it very, very wrong.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 19, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Night10194 posted:

You went up against three retards, who at one point stopped shooting at you when you had a sliver of health left, then closed the distance (without firing a single shot) and got annihilated for it? If they had shot at you for 5 seconds longer you wouldn't have even rounded the island. These were atrociously bad players.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
We get it, We get it. You're poo poo at the game and want to have a special "I win button" for you and you alone. Maybe we can ask the devs to make you a participation ribbon or trophy. Hell I can send you a few. I work with disabled kids and have a fat stack of them in the office.

Hell I've seen your stats and one of the guys in the Down Syndrome group has better stats than you.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Really making a strong look at my stats bro case there champ :thumbsup:

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Why are you even arguing with him at this point. He obviously won't change his opinion or get better at the game and it only shits this thread up with useless posts and insults.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

You're really cool for killing 3 Omahas that played worse than bots and showed us how awesome battleships are..... if some loving retard not in a DD gets below 5km.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Fire damage does too much damage due to the passive nature of that damage. You hit a guy with a salvo and lite them on fire in two or three spots and then can just go behind an island while they burn, meanwhile the guy on fire is playing aggressively and trying to actually have a fun match. I haven't played nearly enough to claim anything as overpowered or whatever rabbit is saying but fire damage does seem too good to me at this point in time.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

BadLlama posted:

Fire damage does too much damage due to the passive nature of that damage. You hit a guy with a salvo and lite them on fire in two or three spots and then can just go behind an island while they burn, meanwhile the guy on fire is playing aggressively and trying to actually have a fun match. I haven't played nearly enough to claim anything as overpowered or whatever rabbit is saying but fire damage does seem too good to me at this point in time.

Yeah, fire should be built up with continual hits to a fire zone, rather than a random chance of a dot proccing.

Doesn't change that NTR is literally the metric unit of wrongness, but it could be improved.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

BadLlama posted:

I have yet to see anyone try to say that fire damage is balanced.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Astroniomix posted:

I have yet to see anyone try to say that fire damage is balanced.

A dev did in July.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
What I wish for is that fire from small caliber shells should either do less DPT or naturally extinguish faster than fire from larger caliber shells.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
They could also change the mechanic of the dot, maybe make it faster to end if no more shells are impacting. The way it is now a ship can set you on fire for 40s and then gently caress of behind an island, concealment or whatever and there is nothing you can do about it. The way it is it's much too passive damage.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Junkozeyne posted:

They could also change the mechanic of the dot, maybe make it faster to end if no more shells are impacting. The way it is now a ship can set you on fire for 40s and then gently caress of behind an island, concealment or whatever and there is nothing you can do about it. The way it is it's much too passive damage.

This is a pretty good idea imho.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
The St. Louis can be such a beast in the right circumstances. Seventeen hits and twelve citadels; killed one Omaha and almost killed a second; someone else got him.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Junkozeyne posted:

I think the problem with fire is that some of the guns have way too high a chance to start a fire.

The Cleveland doesn't need a 10% chance when it is firing ~90 rounds a minute. Meanwhile Dive bombers have ~3% chance and you can fire like 4/6 every 2 minutes.

I think the mechanic is fine and some ships just need their chance to cause a fire reduced.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, fire should be built up with continual hits to a fire zone, rather than a random chance of a dot proccing.
I like that idea, it doesn't make sense that "on fire" is a binary property and no amount of hits can start fires after one destroyer shell has hit that section and rolled fire.

Tahirovic posted:

You're really cool for killing 3 Omahas that played worse than bots and showed us how awesome battleships are..... if some loving retard not in a DD gets below 5km.
Agreeing with NTRabbit is a good sign you are wrong.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

James Garfield posted:

Agreeing with NTRabbit is a good sign you are wrong.

You mean apart from the part where most people, including you, are currently agreeing with me by confirming that fire damage needs changing, gotcha.

The mental gymnastics you go through to avoid admitting you were wrong are astonishing.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Really making a strong look at my stats bro case there champ :thumbsup:

How do I break this to you...

NTRabbit. You are the pubbie.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Magni posted:

We were all pubbies once :v:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Aesis posted:

We were all pubbies once :v:

I was born with a SA subscription.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I meant in this thread. Though most devs are too stupid to be considered sentient life and therefore don't count anyway.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

NTRabbit posted:

You mean apart from the part where most people, including you, are currently agreeing with me by confirming that fire damage needs changing, gotcha.

The mental gymnastics you go through to avoid admitting you were wrong are astonishing.

Sorry but "fire damage needs changing because an Omaha can effortlessly beat any battleship it sees" is still wrong whether or not fire damage needs changing

Also you should quote a post from earlier in this thread where someone claimed fire damage didn't need changing

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Magni posted:

He's the ur-pubbie from which all pubbie badness is descended. His wrongness is the genghis khan of wrong.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
A 108k damage game in a Langley with 30 planes shot down too and my team is too dumb to pick up the win I handed them on a silver platter. 3x weekends bring out the worst pubbie scum just as in WoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Pubbies make me so sad.

#1 in XP in the game and on I'm on a losing team. :(

EDIT: ^^ I feel you right now.