Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Jack the Lad posted:

I guess what I'm actually talking about and looking for are books featuring very competent characters solving problems and overcoming adversity with smarts/science in general.
Seveneves is this. It's also refreshing in that its main characters are women (except one black man) and not uniformly straight in addition to being kick-rear end scientists who get poo poo done by knowing how things work. In male-dominated SF, this is a very cool thing.

Fair warning: this is about the Neal Stephenson-est book he ever wrote. If you're familiar with his work, you'll know what I mean. But if you like The Martian, then maybe infodumps are your thing. It's certainly the closest thing to The Martian that I've personally read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Jimbozig posted:

Seveneves is this. It's also refreshing in that its main characters are women (except one black man) and not uniformly straight in addition to being kick-rear end scientists who get poo poo done by knowing how things work. In male-dominated SF, this is a very cool thing.

Fair warning: this is about the Neal Stephenson-est book he ever wrote. If you're familiar with his work, you'll know what I mean. But if you like The Martian, then maybe infodumps are your thing. It's certainly the closest thing to The Martian that I've personally read.

I found this book unreadable, and I actually enjoyed Reamde

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Are there any good modern deconstructions or tributes to the swashbuckling planetary romance novels of old? Stuff like Flash Gordon with more thought behind it. (Dune may technically count, but I've read that.)

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
Does anyone know of some good nonfiction titles dealing with mental illness? Preferably ones that focus less on individual, uplifting stories and more on the scientific or historical end of things. I'm looking for knowledge, not inspiration.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

Does anyone know of some good nonfiction titles dealing with mental illness? Preferably ones that focus less on individual, uplifting stories and more on the scientific or historical end of things. I'm looking for knowledge, not inspiration.

Are you familiar with the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders? Or are you looking for something with more of a narrative, like Brain on Fire, An Unquiet Mind, or, like pretty much anything written by Oliver Sacks. There's a woman who has written a couple of great books on mental illness, but I absolutely cannot pull her name right now...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

funkybottoms posted:

Are you familiar with the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders? Or are you looking for something with more of a narrative, like Brain on Fire, An Unquiet Mind, or, like pretty much anything written by Oliver Sacks. There's a woman who has written a couple of great books on mental illness, but I absolutely cannot pull her name right now...

I refer a lot of people to Crazy: A Father's Search Through America's Mental Health Madness, by Pete Earley, but it's more about how America's modern mental health non-system came to be, rather than mental illness itself.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Are there any good modern deconstructions or tributes to the swashbuckling planetary romance novels of old? Stuff like Flash Gordon with more thought behind it. (Dune may technically count, but I've read that.)

Oh, good question. I feel like there should be some really good answers for you but I'm having a hard time thinking of what. I want to say Harm's Way by Colin Greenland but it doesn't quite fit.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

Richard Noll's American Madness: The Rise and Fall of Dementia Praecox is the history of attempts to define and diagnose the complex that became known as schizophrenia. It shows how incredibly difficult it is to classify, much less treat psychological diseases.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

dokmo posted:

Richard Noll's American Madness: The Rise and Fall of Dementia Praecox is the history of attempts to define and diagnose the complex that became known as schizophrenia. It shows how incredibly difficult it is to classify, much less treat psychological diseases.

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you!

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Been feeling kinda' blue lately. Need some recommendations for fiction/poetry that'll make me feel really empty and lonely.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Mira posted:

Been feeling kinda' blue lately. Need some recommendations for fiction/poetry that'll make me feel really empty and lonely.

Can you stand hundreds of pages that are literal police reports of hundreds of women killed every year in Juarez? A meta story about some critics in search of an author? An author that may also be a monster. Written by the best Spanish language novelist of the past century? If so, check out Roberto Bolano's 2666.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Speaking of Juarez, Benjamin Alire Sáenz writes a lot of fiction about that city with depressed, damaged characters trying to escape it years after they've already left, though his stuff usually ends more on the optimistic side.

I recently read Butcher's Crossing by John Williams which is a bloody, beautiful narrative about greed and consumerism destroying the buffalo trade in the late 19th century. It's utterly nihilistic and left me feeling pretty empty at the end. Highly recommend.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

mcustic posted:

Can you stand hundreds of pages that are literal police reports of hundreds of women killed every year in Juarez? A meta story about some critics in search of an author? An author that may also be a monster. Written by the best Spanish language novelist of the past century? If so, check out Roberto Bolano's 2666.

Been meaning to check out Bolaño for a while, but I meant something that's more melancholy than nihilistic.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Mira posted:

Been meaning to check out Bolaño for a while, but I meant something that's more melancholy than nihilistic.

I just went through my Goodreads and I seem to have read lots of nihilistic and absolutely no melancholic books.
Time to change that. Sorry I can't help you, though.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

How bout pretty much anything by Gabriel Garcia Marquez? 100 years of solitude, Love in the time of Cholera, all very melancholy works.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mira posted:

Maybe The Toy Collector by James Gunn? I remember The gently caress-Up by Arthur Nersesian being about loneliness and melancholy.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Mira posted:

So the Wind Won't Blow It All Away by Richard Brautigan might fit. It's available in a Kindle edition with two other Brautigan books.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 22, 2016

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Mira posted:

How about Ford Maddox Ford's The Good Soldier? Everything is terrible in relatively normal ways. He wanted to call it The Saddest Story, but once World War I kicked in his publishers made him change it.

You could also try The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall if you're interested in a protagonist dealing with being homosexual in Edwardian England (you might guess by the title that it's no fun).

If you're looking for something more modern, you might try Edna O'Brien's House of Splendid Isolation, or Gloria Naylor's Linden Hills.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

I recently read Butcher's Crossing by John Williams which is a bloody, beautiful narrative about greed and consumerism destroying the buffalo trade in the late 19th century. It's utterly nihilistic and left me feeling pretty empty at the end. Highly recommend.

Seconding this recommendation. This book really stuck with me.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Oh man. What a strange book. After I finished it, I came away with the feeling I had just run a marathon or something physically taxing.

I broke down in tears, which never happened to me before. (I only cry while listening to some episodes of This American Life).

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

All those recs look pretty great -- thanks all!

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Are there any good books on Industrial Design. I just got a new phone and was struck with how it was constructed it looks good and feels good in my hand but why is it like that. Pop Science is fine here I just want something interesting about that sort of thing.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Jane Carver of Waar by Nathan Long.

There's also the Dray Prescot series by Alan Burt Akers (aka Kenneth Bulmer) of which there's 52 books in total, which should keep you busy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

dokmo posted:

I read James Dickey's To the White Sea a few months ago. If you loved Deliverance you'll probably love it. It's about a guy whose bomber gets shot down over Tokyo just before the big firebomb raids in 1945, and he has to make his way out of the city and to safety without attracting attention. The protagonist is resourceful and psychotic. It is a great read. Also you may like Charles Portis, another Southern writer whose deceptively lean prose is a joy to read, who also averaged one novel every ten years or so.

Late, but thanks for this. I enjoyed To the White Sea very much and appreciate you recommending it to me.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Mira posted:

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes.

I know you've got other recs already, but it's pretty melancholy, and pretty short, too.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Oz goons, some Sci Fi and fantasy deals

Weaveworld, Fahrenheit 451 and necromancer are 1.99.

Assassins apprentice, little brother and the time ships are 4.99

Hammerfall, prodigal sun, shadows heir and magicians guild are 2.99.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 22, 2016

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
I've been listening to the Archaeological Fantasies podcast recently, and I really enjoy it. I'm looking for some books that debunk poo poo like Ancient Aliens. I've got a few of the ones that have been specifically mentioned on the podcast on hold at the library, but while I'm waiting for those to get transferred I'm looking for something I can hopefully read on my Nook.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

tentawesome posted:

I've been listening to the Archaeological Fantasies podcast recently, and I really enjoy it. I'm looking for some books that debunk poo poo like Ancient Aliens. I've got a few of the ones that have been specifically mentioned on the podcast on hold at the library, but while I'm waiting for those to get transferred I'm looking for something I can hopefully read on my Nook.

Isn't the best way to debunk Ancient Aliens to just watch it?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

tentawesome posted:

Ronald Story's The Space Gods Revealed and Clifford Wilson's Crash Go the Chariots are definitive when it comes to beating the crap out of Erich von Daniken and taking his lunch money. I don't think they're available in ebook form, though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What are good books about the Peloponnesian Wars? Either Historical Fiction or non-fiction are fine.

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What are good books about the Peloponnesian Wars? Either Historical Fiction or non-fiction are fine.

Slightly obvious, but History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides. The Penguin Classics translation is quite good if you're looking for a cheap copy.

LionYeti posted:

Are there any good books on Industrial Design. I just got a new phone and was struck with how it was constructed it looks good and feels good in my hand but why is it like that. Pop Science is fine here I just want something interesting about that sort of thing.

Design as Art by Bruno Munari is a short (but good) read. Doesn't necessarily focus on industrial design as such, but a good collection of essays on different aspects of design and the role it plays in contemporary society.

Mike Cartwright fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 25, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The Last of the Wine by Mary Renault is your go to classic for Peloponnesian War historical fiction.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

After reading So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson, I went on to read Them, and The Psychopath Test, all of which I really enjoyed. I'm looking for some more authors, or specific books, which are also this kind of adventure/gonzo journalism. I want to be exposed to new ideas and interesting people, but I want them to be shown to me by a engaging guide.

Any suggestions?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Hey, I just finished watching the Knick, and I'd love to know more about ridiculously misguided but well-intentioned old-timey ways of medicine and the rough time early surgeons had with not killing their patients. Audio or text, I listen to a lot of podcasts but will also read a good book.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Chadzok posted:

Hey, I just finished watching the Knick, and I'd love to know more about ridiculously misguided but well-intentioned old-timey ways of medicine and the rough time early surgeons had with not killing their patients. Audio or text, I listen to a lot of podcasts but will also read a good book.

It sounds like you would really enjoy listening to the Sawbones podcast, as it focuses primarily on weird medical history stuff, and is relatively entertaining.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Hocus Pocus posted:

After reading So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson, I went on to read Them, and The Psychopath Test, all of which I really enjoyed. I'm looking for some more authors, or specific books, which are also this kind of adventure/gonzo journalism. I want to be exposed to new ideas and interesting people, but I want them to be shown to me by a engaging guide.

Any suggestions?

You should check out Mary Roach's stuff. She takes subjects that people normally think as gross or weird and explores them. I especially enjoyed Gulp! which is about the human digestive system.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Looking for something that resembles Verner Vinge's Rainbow's End in its exploration of near future augmented / virtual reality type stuff.

Or something that resembles Daniel Suarez's Daemon/Freedom duo for real life gamification and, I don't know, I know they weren't the most well written books but I found them incredibly fun.

No Neal Stephenson.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Hocus Pocus posted:

Any suggestions?

Not a book, but if you don't know him already, check out Louis Theroux. He's a documentary filmmaker who does exactly those types of stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

xian posted:

Looking for something that resembles Verner Vinge's Rainbow's End in its exploration of near future augmented / virtual reality type stuff.

Or something that resembles Daniel Suarez's Daemon/Freedom duo for real life gamification and, I don't know, I know they weren't the most well written books but I found them incredibly fun.

No Neal Stephenson.

Halting State by Charles Stross?