Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Really Pants posted:

The Trails world doesn't have science. They mashed some quartz into an orbal thing to store the weapons.

IIRC, they were developing combustion engines before the Orbal Revolution. So they had science, but now it's magic science.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

it'll own if falcom starts caring about the PC again.

cute fanart again

... where the heck are Estelle's legs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supremezero posted:

... where the heck are Estelle's legs.
under tita, prorbably

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You can see her presumed knees under Tita.

Speaking of Tita, what am I supposed to do with her? I really neglected her in my last playthrough so I'm going to bring her to the final boss this time. But she kind of seems to suck. Not very high magic, terrible orbment setup (2 space quartz? please, there's only one good one and it's EP cut) super low HP, unexciting crafts, etc. Am I missing the secret to making her good or is she just supposed to be a little less powerful? I guess her good quality is the free AoE from her attacks, but that isn't very valuable at the end of the game where you're full of cheap AoE anyway.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

tita is a child, she shouldn't fight

basically she's just plain bad. if you go into the cavern dungeon early when you're just crossing into zeiss from ruan, you can get her a new weapon from a chest well ahead of time which lets her put out far more respectable damage for a while

you need to fight the monsters guarding the chest though, which you're both underleveled and two party members short for. if you have estelle and joshua stand in the corner and have estelle heal while joshua spams flicker to delay the enemies which end up lining up to get him, you can win, although you might need to lose once to take advantage of the retry offset.

you can do a similar thing at the start of chapter 1, where if you go into the nebel valley before you reach bose a bounty monster won't have spawned yet, letting you get a real high level weapon for joshua early

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Tita is adorable, you should bring her everywhere.

I just got her as much range as possible, had her run Support, and take shots into enemy groups when she wasn't supporting. Earth Wall is OP.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah, I kind of suspected that, especially with her way low HP. Well, that ain't stopping me from using her! Doesn't hurt that she's totes adorbs.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the concept art that comes with the GOG version is super cool, and im looking forward to when i can finally open the art books ive had for like a year now

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Blind is ridiculously good

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terper posted:

Blind is ridiculously good

status effects in general are pretty strong, confuse is real fun. RIP all enemies if Silver Thorn is a player spell in SC

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also the box art for the ps3 version of SC is so good

ahh i'm too hype

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Amppelix posted:

You can see her presumed knees under Tita.

Speaking of Tita, what am I supposed to do with her? I really neglected her in my last playthrough so I'm going to bring her to the final boss this time. But she kind of seems to suck. Not very high magic, terrible orbment setup (2 space quartz? please, there's only one good one and it's EP cut) super low HP, unexciting crafts, etc. Am I missing the secret to making her good or is she just supposed to be a little less powerful? I guess her good quality is the free AoE from her attacks, but that isn't very valuable at the end of the game where you're full of cheap AoE anyway.

Tita's specialty is crowd control. Her strength lies in fighting large groups of weaker monsters. (her weakness is single high-defense enemies) I found Tita pretty useful during the Zeiss chapter. Smoke Cannon is actually one of the best crafts in the game, even if it doesn't really do much more damage than her regular attacks. Not only is it a guaranteed blind on any enemy it hits within its huge grid-adjustable radius who doesn't resist it, but like all physical crafts, it also makes use of any status quartz you have equipped. Equipping quartz like deathblow1, petrify or freeze on Tita and blasting a large group with Smoke Cannon is almost guaranteed to take one enemy out of the fight right off the bat.

Unfortunately, Tita only has Estelle-grade strength and ats-stats and no mystic stave-class weapon or elemental-free battle orbment to offset them. The final dungeon really stacks the deck against her (and any other primarily physical attacker) by introducing enemies with really high defense in addition to making most non-cannon fodder immune to blind. So she's objectively the least optimal choice to bring along during the Aureole dungeon. From what I've heard, Falcom was still experimenting with the balance in FC and SC rebalances her by keeping her low HP, but increasing her attack and defense stats before turning her into a downright gamebreaker at some point during 3rd.

I've used Tita in the final battle several times and most of the time I equipped the gladiator belt on her and made her spam Vital Cannon, which doesn't heal for a spectacular amount of damage, but activates instantly and has a really large radius, severely cutting down on my need to use other characters to heal. The final battle took a really long time, since I spent a lot of time manually killing off drones from afar (I was going for the no S-craft achievement at the time), but that was also the first time I beat Reverie without triggering its Death Rage counter even once, so that has to count for something, heh.

Oh, and I'd argue another space-quartz that I has grown a little on me is the Range-quartz, which increases the radius of your AOE spells. Though frankly I've used it more on Joshua to make White Gehenna cover more ground than on Tita to make La Teara have bigger range.

Cake Attack posted:

the concept art that comes with the GOG version is super cool, and im looking forward to when i can finally open the art books ive had for like a year now

You ordered that big art book where the sprites of pretty much all the portraited characters are charging ahead? If so, you are now my unofficially adopted brother. :P I've had that one since March, courtesy of me assuming SC was gonna come out in May or so and it's been on my shelf ever since. Oh, the temptation...

Cake Attack posted:

status effects in general are pretty strong, confuse is real fun. RIP all enemies if Silver Thorn is a player spell in SC

From what I've heard, it is, meaning Silver Thorn will either out-White-Gehenna White Gehenna or SC will break with FC's tradition of having just about all enemies and lesser bosses be vulnerable to confusion.

The hype is strong right now. I love the PS3 cover art, though it's a shame it doesn't have as much Olivier as it should have.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 20, 2015

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Cake Attack posted:

ahh i'm too hype

He also did the Cold Steel II collector's edition cover, the cover for Sky FC PS3, the cover for all versions of Sky Third...

HACCAN's art p. much always rules. Though yes I do like his SC cover the best just because it's a goddamn movie poster

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cake Attack posted:

ahh i'm too hype

Estelle looks a bit off in it (I think just how the artist does faces) but otherwise it's great.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Erpy posted:

You ordered that big art book where the sprites of pretty much all the portraited characters are charging ahead? If so, you are now my unofficially adopted brother. :P I've had that one since March, courtesy of me assuming SC was gonna come out in May or so and it's been on my shelf ever since. Oh, the temptation...

i have the two that udon put out called Legend of Heroes - The Illustration and Legend of Heroes - The Characters

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Heroes-Characters-SC/dp/1926778901/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442762467&sr=8-2&keywords=legend+of+heroes+udon

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Heroes-Illustrations-SC/dp/192677891X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442762467&sr=8-1&keywords=legend+of+heroes+udon

These two. is there a third i should buy because i will

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Ah, those two. I know about them, but refrained from getting them since they also contain art from 3rd, Zero and Ao and I was kinda wary of spoilers. They're in English though.

The one I was talking about is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPAN-The-Legend-of-Heroes-Sora-no-Kiseki-FC-SC-Special-Collection-Book-/371429666580?hash=item567aeeef14

It's in Japanese, so unless you can read that language, you won't be able to read any text. It only covers FC and SC though and it's gigantic. Not all of it is art though, "only" the first 220 pages or so. The rest is, presumably, item/art tables, dungeon maps and more stuff like that. Total page count is like 350.

If I had to recommend another one, which I also got, it's the one below. It's, again, in Japanese and it only covers FC, but it's an awesome one. It's a small photo book (like 80 pages) that covers the entire FC story in the graphic style of the photos shown in FC's ending's photo album. Not much text, just lots of illustrations of key moments in the story.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGEND-OF-HEROES-Sora-no-Kiseki-Photo-Story-Book-Art-Illustration-Ltd-/301741941814?hash=item464138a436

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mokinokaro posted:

Estelle looks a bit off in it (I think just how the artist does faces) but otherwise it's great.

If we're talking about faces, honestly, they all look off.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i shouldnt have asked, as my brain problems have made me buy both

artbooks are my favorite type of merch, most other stuff i think is a waste but i love artbooks

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 20, 2015

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

It's the helicopter pigtails. Rayman crossover confirmed

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Cake Attack posted:

artbooks are my favorite type of merch, most other stuff i think is a waste but i love artbooks

I approve of your brain problems, dear sir.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Cake Attack posted:

Artbooks and the like which go into the early concepting and creation of characters, locations etc. and how they evolved during development is always the most fascinating and educational thing

I work in this damned industry and I can't get enough of them

I possibly can't get enough of them because I do that work, even

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Cake Attack posted:

ahh i'm too hype
Where's Olivier? Is that meant to be him above Joshua :confused:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Paperhouse posted:

Where's Olivier? Is that meant to be him above Joshua :confused:

That's a different character entirely. I guess Olivier just isn't in the poster.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Olivier is not on it, which is said cover's greatest flaw

floaty blond is Lorence

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, it's Lorence. When he was at watching the play at Jenis Royal Academy, he was wearing the same white longcoat he's wearing on the cover and if you paid close attention to his battle sprite, you might have recognized that uniquely shaped sword of his. Interestingly enough, Lorence is holding his sword in the wrong hand on the cover. He's very clearly a lefty in the game itself.

I also agree on the fun of watching early concepts of characters. Earlier versions of some characters looked quite different. Lorence, for example, used to have a mask that completely concealed his face, aside from two narrow horizontal gaps for his eyes and his mouth. It also had some strange metallic horn on his forehead, making him look like a weird unicorn. :P

A very interesting sketch in the FC-version of the big artbook I linked to earlier shows this picture.

Kyle's easy to recognize, he just looks younger there. Josette too, except she's adorable enough to give Tita a run for her money. Don, on the other hand, looks REALLY different, but it gives credence to the game's claim that the Capuas used to be nobles.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Erpy posted:

Yeah, it's Lorence. When he was at watching the play at Jenis Royal Academy, he was wearing the same white longcoat he's wearing on the cover and if you paid close attention to his battle sprite, you might have recognized that uniquely shaped sword of his. Interestingly enough, Lorence is holding his sword in the wrong hand on the cover. He's very clearly a lefty in the game itself.

I also agree on the fun of watching early concepts of characters. Earlier versions of some characters looked quite different. Lorence, for example, used to have a mask that completely concealed his face, aside from two narrow horizontal gaps for his eyes and his mouth. It also had some strange metallic horn on his forehead, making him look like a weird unicorn. :P

A very interesting sketch in the FC-version of the big artbook I linked to earlier shows this picture.

Kyle's easy to recognize, he just looks younger there. Josette too, except she's adorable enough to give Tita a run for her money. Don, on the other hand, looks REALLY different, but it gives credence to the game's claim that the Capuas used to be nobles.

Don has good taste in hats, clearly.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I really hope the Capua gang has a major role in SC (don't tell me though!). They're really fun and what we got of them in FC just wasn't enough! They were so close to getting friendly with Estelle and gang towards the end, too. They have interesting motivations, a nice family dynamic, they're the source of some of the best dialogue, what's not to like?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I'm pretty sure they do. The game did mention that the Capuas managed to escape while the army was marching onto Grancel.

And yeah, the Capuas are cool. The rivalry between Estelle and Josette is also highly-amusing and watching Estelle's reaction to the youngest Capua sibling evolve is some interesting character development for her. Initially, just the mere mention of Josette is enough to cause Estelle to pop a vein and when Josette throws a jibe her way during the confrontation at the sky bandit hideout, Estelle immediately starts a verbal cat fight with her. When the two meet again at Leiston Fortress, Josette once again has a go at Estelle, but at this point Estelle's experiences have caused her to mature a bit and she ignores her rival's insult, much to Josette's confusion.

Josette developing a crush on Joshua during the martial arts competition is also a plot point that just demands expansion.

There's an interesting detail shown on Don's art page I posted that the truly obsessed Trails fan might pick up: Don's age is listed on it as 30. (Josette is 16 and Kyle's 23, so there'd be a 7-year gap between each sibling) However, in the actual game, Don's age is listed as 32 in the Liberl News issue reporting on his capture. I have no idea why this was changed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Well poo poo, my eBay, Amazon and Google-fu are failing to produce any additional copies of this. Any chance you know where I could snag one?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Some Numbers posted:

Well poo poo, my eBay, Amazon and Google-fu are failing to produce any additional copies of this. Any chance you know where I could snag one?

Try this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGEND-OF-H...%3D301741941814

If memory serves me correctly, hit-japan is the same seller I got my copies from, so it's possible he's got a whole hoard of them, but only puts up one auction at the same time.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

Try this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGEND-OF-H...%3D301741941814

If memory serves me correctly, hit-japan is the same seller I got my copies from, so it's possible he's got a whole hoard of them, but only puts up one auction at the same time.

Awesome, thanks!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
We have a Vita exploit that allows writing to files, including the Vita TV whitelist!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&noseen=1&postid=450620319
http://hackinformer.com/forum/thread-475.html

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

So wait, all that needed to be done was to change the whitelist file and Celceta becomes playable? What the gently caress, Falcom?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Levantine posted:

So wait, all that needed to be done was to change the whitelist file and Celceta becomes playable? What the gently caress, Falcom?

Has anybody confirmed that Celceta doesn't just run, but can be properly played from the beginning until the end?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Erpy posted:

Has anybody confirmed that Celceta doesn't just run, but can be properly played from the beginning until the end?

Not yet. I don't think anyone has gotten to that puzzle in the middle of the game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Can anyone tell me if I should spend money on the Trails in the Sky manga? I can read Japanese, but manga adaptations have a track record of being less than amazing.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

in tits are the hidden sidequests at the towers insanely cool or anything? because i read about the one in chapter 1 pretty much right after i went too far into the game to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The one in chapter 1 is the only one, you can explore the chapter 2 one for treasure but it doesn't have a quest attached. chapter 3 makes you go, chapter 4 doesn't have one.

and the answer is no. you get some items from treasure chests and there's a brief scene where you meet alba again. that's about it

• Locked thread