Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So, the kid asked to call his parents several times during the interrogation (no lawyer present). Don't they have to stop an interrogation and fulfill that request?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Double posted somehow.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Condiv posted:

tbh, it looks like the clock is just the pieces of a digital alarm clock ripped out of its casing and put inside a pencil casing, explaining both the 9v connector and the power plug.

not that i'm good with electronics, but that circuit board looks awfully purpose built compared to an arduino or other DIY electronics stuff

That's what I thought, it looks like he took the guts out of bedside alarm clock and tried to mount it in a pencil case. He's probably a kid who likes to tear things apart and never gets them back together, so his room's full of junk that makes the grown-ups think he's doing smart things.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Police Report:
Suspect took guts out of alarm clock and mounted them in a carrying case. B- work at best. See me after class. Cited for attempted grade inflation.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

So, the kid asked to call his parents several times during the interrogation (no lawyer present). Don't they have to stop an interrogation and fulfill that request?

Gosh no. Your parents aren't lawyers.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SedanChair posted:

Gosh no. Your parents aren't lawyers.

He is a minor. I am not sure of the law here and am on m6 phone, but it may not be the same.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

PostNouveau posted:

They take out the Benjamin Moore paint chips, "Sugar Cookie" brown gets you sent home with a stern talking to, "Desert Camel" or darker don't have rights.

I googled paint chips and sugar cookie is the lightest brown and desert camel Is dark brown hth

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

He is a minor. I am not sure of the law here and am on m6 phone, but it may not be the same.

Depends on the state, and the fact that it took place at school and with a school official's participation and permission complicates it further. It's definitely not a clear violation of his rights under the constitution, and may or may not have been under state law.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Someone said that in such situations school faculty can act as a surrogate depending on the state.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

As was mentioned, in some states there is a notification law but usually not. I am guessing those laws generally do not get passed because "guilty little thuglets need to sweat" probably outweighs "what if it was my kid."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
From the "Got a crazy forwarded political email from your family? Post them here." thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dk6bXdBdVs

Jaywalking teenager vs. large man in blue, followed by a bunch more large men in blue spending your tax dollars wisely (youtube description has more info).

I hear the youtube comments are enlightening.

And now for some brand new and fresh circular arguments about semantics (BTW it wasn't a bomb. It was never a bomb.):

Otteration fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 18, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
http://www.npr.org/2015/09/17/441196546/is-there-a-war-on-police-the-statistics-say-no

Ima Grip And Sip
Oct 19, 2014

:sherman:

This thread can't get past death statistics for some reason, as if it's the only statistic that matters when determining if policing can be dangerous.

FBI posted:

-In 2013, the FBI collected assault data from 11,468 law enforcement agencies that employed 533,895 officers.
-Law enforcement agencies reported that 49,851 officers were assaulted while performing their duties in 2013.
-The rate of officer assaults in 2013 was 9.3 per 100 sworn officers.

And this only includes the ones reported to the FBI so these numbers are likely under reported.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Ima Grip And Sip posted:

This thread can't get past death statistics for some reason, as if it's the only statistic that matters when determining if policing can be dangerous.

And this only includes the ones reported to the FBI so these numbers are likely under reported.

You've neither contextualised 'assaults' nor described how that relates to a broader trend, though, so it's not really that useful a datapoint you've offered.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Homicides as a whole have been on a downward trend since the 80s, so it would make sense that homicides of police would follow that trend.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also it seems foolish to assume they are under reporting assaults to the FBI.

Also plenty of people are arrested for "assaulting" a police officer when they've done nothing of the sort.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dead Reckoning posted:

Homicides as a whole have been on a downward trend since the 80s, so it would make sense that homicides of police would follow that trend.

To be fair, this is despite the best efforts of the police.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

This holds true of all forms of violent crime pretty much, though, no?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ima Grip And Sip posted:

Why do you assume the first one was talking about if the job was dangerous? The article was pointing out how the "war on police" narrative isn't backed by statistics.

If we wanted to see if being a law enforcement officer was a dangerous job, we'd use occupational health and safety numbers, which show that being a law enforcement officer isn't close to one of the most dangerous jobs in America.

Teachers and convenience store clerks are both more likely to be killed on the job than cops last I checked for example. Both face much higher rates of assault if they reported it.

Edit According to the BJS it appears that bartenders have face a higher rate of workplace violence than law enforcement officers.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 18, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ima Grip And Sip posted:

it is entirely germane to discuss police killed in the line of duty when countering the crybaby lie that there is a "war on police"

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Exactly, thinking that the school should do nothing when they see something with a countdown timer and a pile of circuit boards is monumentally naive in this day and age.

How did a homemade clock with a few tangled wires, and a circuit board, all of a sudden become a count-down timer with a pile of circuit boards?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Agrajag posted:

How did a homemade clock with a few tangled wires, and a circuit board, all of a sudden become a count-down timer with a pile of circuit boards?

Because welcome to the Red Brown Scare.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Agrajag posted:

The fact the police refuses to let anyone actually see it isn't helping. All we have is a photo of a photo which is making some people think this thing is huge when it isn't.

Also some slightly new details:

quote:

The police chief in Irving, Tex., Larry Boyd, said in an interview on CNN that officers assigned to MacArthur High School had determined “fairly quickly” that the device was not a bomb. Then the issue, he said, was to determine why the teenager, Ahmed Mohamed, had brought the device to school.

“What they were investigating was whether he brought a device to school with the intention of creating alarm,” Chief Boyd said.

Ahmed, who has professed a love of tinkering, said he built a digital clock at home and then took it to school on Monday to show his engineering teacher, who expressed appreciation but advised him not to show it to other teachers.

But the device made a sound in an English class, prompting Ahmed to later show the source of the noise to that teacher. The teacher commented that it looked like a bomb. The officers assigned to the school were called, and Ahmed was handcuffed, questioned by the police and eventually released to his parents.

Chief Boyd said the officers were not initially told that Ahmed had brought the clock to school to show to a teacher. In the end, Chief Boyd said, the officers made the best possible decisions based on the information that they had.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/us/irving-police-chief-defends-response-to-ahmed-mohameds-clock.html

quote:

School district officials said that they cannot comment on the specifics of the case involving Macarthur High School freshman Mohamed, due to privacy reasons. However, a spokeswoman for the district said that they support his English teacher’s action when she confiscated the 14-year-old’s homemade clock on Monday, believing that it could be a hoax bomb.
The incident led to the teen’s arrest and suspension from classes.
A teacher heard beeping in her classroom, and then this device was brought to her. So, what she saw was a case with exposed wires and a timer attached to it,” said Lesley Weaver, director of communications for the Irving ISD. “She did the right thing. She followed the correct procedures. She involved the school resource officer and school administrators.”
When asked if Mohamed was profiled for either his race or religion, Weaver maintained that the school teacher reacted to the unusual device — not the student — and truly believed that it could have been a safety concern.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/09/17/irving-isd-praises-teacher-who-took-away-clock/

So the kid made the mistake of trying to explain why he had made a disruptive noise in class. Should have known better and not told the teacher anything at all :rolleyes:

Also since no one had told the cops that he had told everyone who asked it was a clock because that's the level of seriously they took this investigation.

But the police recognized the kid immediately from some sort of physical feature he had....

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 18, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

MattO posted:

That's what I thought, it looks like he took the guts out of bedside alarm clock and tried to mount it in a pencil case. He's probably a kid who likes to tear things apart and never gets them back together, so his room's full of junk that makes the grown-ups think he's doing smart things.

How is this relevant and what is wrong with a kid messing around with electronics? I guess in your mind he should have never tried experimenting with taking poo poo apart because he just isn't good enough? Perhaps he should only be proud when he is at the level of university engineering students?

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 18, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Agrajag posted:

How is this relevant and what is wrong with a kid messing around with electronics? I guess in your mind he should have never tried experimenting with taking poo poo apart because he just isn't good enough? Perhaps he should only be proud when he is at the level of university engineering students?

Good muslims should spend all thier time apologizing for 9/11 and making us scared. No time for engineering.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Agrajag posted:

What's the biggest joke about all this, the character attack on this kid for having a "messy bedroom" is in fact, false:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
The black briefcase on his shelf looks awfully bomb like.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
So can this "could have thought it was a bomb" finally die since nobody ever thought it was a bomb? At worst they thought it could be a "hoax bomb", I doubt an English teacher would 'confiscate' it if she actually thought it was a bomb. I don't think anyone is stupid enough to take possession of something they think is an explosive, they evacuate the school not put in their desk drawer.

Wonder what excuse will be used to not release his interrogation recording/transcript/video. I'm sure the police would never ever interrogate a minor off record.

"What is it?"
"A clock"
"What's it for?"
"Telling time"

That's the first 30 seconds. What was the other 3(4? 5?) hours?

Agrajag posted:

How is this relevant and what is wrong with a kid messing around with electronics?

Funny thing is I'd bet $20 anyone criticizing him for "just taking apart a clock" or whatever wouldn't be able to even do what this kid did. I did the same poo poo when I was that age, it's figuring how the parts each interact and taking an existing clock circuit board and hooking it up to that big red time display is not as simple as people think when you're 14.

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 18, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Toasticle posted:

So can this "could have thought it was a bomb" finally die since nobody ever thought it was a bomb? At worst they thought it could be a "hoax bomb", I doubt an English teacher would 'confiscate' it if she actually thought it was a bomb. I don't think anyone is stupid enough to take possession of something they think is an explosive, they evacuate the school not put in their desk drawer.

Wonder what excuse will be used to not release his interrogation recording/transcript/video. I'm sure the police would never ever interrogate a minor off record.

"What is it?"
"A clock"
"What's it for?"
"Telling time"

My favourite is his school principle attempting to pressure Ahmed to sign some kind of confession whilst at the same time refusing his request to contact his parents. The whole situation, on the part of the adults, is all kinds of hosed up.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
My guess is "try to get him to say something to justify treating a 14 year old nerd like a terrorist"

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Agrajag posted:

Nothing at all, it's the same thing my kid does, she rips open electronics and makes poo poo out of it, I think it's a good thing to do. Didn't mean anything nefarious.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

MattO posted:

Nothing at all, it's the same thing my kid does, she rips open electronics and makes poo poo out of it, I think it's a good thing to do. Didn't mean anything nefarious.

Sounds like you've got a little terrorist-in-the-making there, citizen.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Toasticle posted:

"What is it?"
"A clock"
"What's it for?"
"Telling time"

Funny thing is I'd bet $20 anyone criticizing him for "just taking apart a clock" or whatever wouldn't be able to even do what this kid did. I did the same poo poo when I was that age, it's figuring how the parts each interact and taking an existing clock circuit board and hooking it up to that big red time display is not as simple as people think when you're 14.

"Tell us the truth kid, what is it!?"
"A clock! I made it! I wanna talk to my parents!"
"This is an interrogation you can talk to your parents when you tell us what's really going on!"

Repeat.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I think the fact that the police won't let anyone see the "hoax bomb" and will only show a picture of a picture says a lot.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Booourns posted:

I think the fact that the police won't let anyone see the "hoax bomb" and will only show a picture of a picture says a lot.

Civil forfeiture owns.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Phone posted:

Civil forfeiture owns.

Nah, this time its just being held as evidence.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Booourns posted:

But you see, we need to make sure it wasn't really a bomb per se. Just in case!!!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Toasticle posted:

"What is it?"
"A clock"
"What's it for?"
"Telling time"

the cop thought he had a case that could net him a promotion. bully some muslim kid into confessing he wanted to start a panic, get lots of press for stopping terrorism, get a promotion and if it ever comes out it was a false confession no one cares cause you were trying to protect everyone

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Something seems wrong here:

quote:

Cormega Copening, of Fayetteville, North Carolina, was prosecuted as an adult under federal child pornography felony laws, for sexually exploiting a minor. The minor was himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Trabisnikof posted:

Something seems wrong here:

Take naked photo of yourself when you were 17 and then send it when you are 18 (or charged as an adult). The federal code doesn't say the minor has to be someone else.

• Locked thread