Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I have hope for USA/Samoa. Wales/Uruguay should just be a stomp like Ireland/Canada today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Today was a good day of rugby, aside from Italy being poo poo.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Duro posted:

The french are a bunch of girly men,

I think you were watching some american football game instead of the rugby haha

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I went to Wales/Japan for the World Cup game in Cardiff in 07 and after the scoreline put the Welsh very much in the lead, whenever Japan scored there was a big pop from the crowd in support. I think mixing people together has a lot to do with it, how can you not celebrate with the guy next to you who likely travelled thousands of miles to support his team despite knowing they would lose? They're an easily likeable team, and everyone is buzzing for them. Great 2nd day.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Super pleased for Japan, and doubly so that I managed to watch the match. Chuffed to have tickets to their Samoa game: I was going to be wearing blue but looks like I have a new team to support that day!

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I had a crazy dream last night where Japan beat SA but then I woke up, thought about it for awhile and thought 'Yeah nah, no way Japan have anywhere near the firepower to stay toe to toe with the Boks, it was probably like a 50pt loss'. Then I checked the score.

Holy poo poo I am so on board this world cup now, lovely time zones be damned.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I watched the Japan match here in Japan. We were all quite excited. Good game IMO.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Jesus Christ, I can't believe I missed the Japan game.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

LimburgLimbo posted:

Jesus Christ, I can't believe I missed the Japan game.

Try and watch a replay if you can it's a good game. Again and again SA took a lead and it looked like it would be back to usual service when Japan clawed back and eventually got on top, really good spirit from them.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

Try and watch a replay if you can it's a good game. Again and again SA took a lead and it looked like it would be back to usual service when Japan clawed back and eventually got on top, really good spirit from them.

Yeah someone posted the full game on youtube and I'm going to be watching it.

Of all the times for me to be away from Tokyo on business.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah someone posted the full game on youtube and I'm going to be watching it.

Of all the times for me to be away from Tokyo on business.

Ah, didn't realise you were Japanese. Congrats on pulling off the biggest upset in Rugby World Cup history, and you guys didn't even steal the game, you just won it outright!

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

Ah, didn't realise you were Japanese. Congrats on pulling off the biggest upset in Rugby World Cup history, and you guys didn't even steal the game, you just won it outright!

Not even Japanese by blood, but I've lived here my whole adult life and started playing rugby in Japan.

I don't think anyone commented on this yet, but this is more than just an amazing win for Japan, it's a chance to get some attention to all the problems with Japanese rugby. They have money, a large player base, and some very skilled people, but just haven't been able to field an impressive international team. Partially because of this, much of rugby in Japan is internally focused; the attendance for their university league vastly outstrips the pro teams, and lot young players with high potential just want to get on a good uni squad so they can then get into a good company and make decent living.

Japanese people currently just don't care much about international rugby because association football has become more popular, and they haven't done well at an international level. If the Japan squad can start to make headlines it could really become a catalyst for all the resources of Japanese rugby to be put to better use.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
manu samoa vs. samu manoa never gets old

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LimburgLimbo posted:

Japanese people currently just don't care much about international rugby because association football has become more popular, and they haven't done well at an international level. If the Japan squad can start to make headlines it could really become a catalyst for all the resources of Japanese rugby to be put to better use.

Japan is hosting the next World Cup, right? A strong showing in this one will hopefully generate a lot of interest for that one. Weren't they meant to be getting involved in the Southern Hemisphere rugby competition alongside Argentina as well?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Japan is hosting the next World Cup, right? A strong showing in this one will hopefully generate a lot of interest for that one. Weren't they meant to be getting involved in the Southern Hemisphere rugby competition alongside Argentina as well?

They're in the Super 18 next year, with Argentina.

Although there is some worry that the best players aren't going to be given up by the Top League clubs but I don't know if that is true.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

LimburgLimbo posted:

This is kind of how a Japanese person explained it to me once. He was a rugby player himself and pretty cynical about the sport's reputation in Japan, saying that it wasn't popular because the national team sucked, and that Japanese people by and large only like sports where their team is decent - like their football team, which I guess is a pretty solid team even though it's not exactly one of the powers of the sport.

This was about 7 years ago when I was in the country myself, though, so I don't how much it would've changed in that time.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

LordPants posted:

They're in the Super 18 next year, with Argentina.

Although there is some worry that the best players aren't going to be given up by the Top League clubs but I don't know if that is true.

Yep, Japan is hosting the next world cup, but there was worried that it might get changed because the Japanese Rugby Football Union (JRFU) was messing up the planning apparently.

There's also supposed to be a Super Rugby team, but for the last month or so it's been in danger of getting cut because so few have signed on to play, and a number of other reasons.

Drunk in Space posted:

This is kind of how a Japanese person explained it to me once. He was a rugby player himself and pretty cynical about the sport's reputation in Japan, saying that it wasn't popular because the national team sucked, and that Japanese people by and large only like sports where their team is decent - like their football team, which I guess is a pretty solid team even though it's not exactly one of the powers of the sport.

This was about 7 years ago when I was in the country myself, though, so I don't how much it would've changed in that time.

Things are changing, fortunately. More and more Japanese players are getting involved overseas and bringing back their knowledge, and in general rugby is getting more international in Japan, and importantly some younger players are getting involved in international rugby, even while playing for uni teams.

It's really too bad that it's taken them this long to get better, considering that they have a considerable player base with the 6th most registered players in the world and 1522 registered clubs. They've also got leagues from children's leagues up to a very popular uni leagues, and places such as Sugadaira-kougen, which is the mecca of rugby in Japan; it's got more than 100 pitches, and every summer literally almost every club in Japan goes up to play practice matches. They've got tons of resources, and if they would just focus some of those towards having a strong international side they could be a consistent tier 1 nation inside of a decade, without a doubt.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Best part about the Japanese win? Was the Japanese team bowing to the Japanese supporters. :3:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

watched the whole of the japan vs sa game, what a thriller. Glad to have started watching rugby recently

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

dex_sda posted:

watched the whole of the japan vs sa game, what a thriller. Glad to have started watching rugby recently

I was introducing a Canadian colleague to rugby yesterday: her second game ever was the South Africa/Japan game. Jealous of having that for an introduction!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Anybody else watching USA-Samoa? Pretty bad game so far with all of the usas ball coming off of Samoan mistakes, the only positive we've originated is our kicking game.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
USA Samoa is a bit flat, neither team doing much with the ball.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I thought the US was a bit better than they are showing thus far.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Samoa are just playing inside balls off 9 and 10 but they're causing some problems doing it. USA have gave away too many penalties and haven't been too consistent at the breakdown, it could be closer but neither team looks great right now.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
This is closer than it should be but not as close as it could be. USA are stifling Samoa offense better than I expected. But they're so sloppy.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Nice.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
loving nice try America.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
There are two Japanese guys in rugby shirts trying to walk down the street in Cardiff and they can't take two steps without someone shaking their hand of trying to hand them a pint. They've moved about twenty steps in ten minutes.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Tyma posted:

There are two Japanese guys in rugby shirts trying to walk down the street in Cardiff and they can't take two steps without someone shaking their hand of trying to hand them a pint. They've moved about twenty steps in ten minutes.

gently caress yeah, hurray for Japan and hurray for Cardiff.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?
Neither team looking too great. Lots of silly errors on both sides.

Bodes well :scotland:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
My pay per view service, the only way to legally watch this game here in the States, is not working. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Apollodorus posted:

My pay per view service, the only way to legally watch this game here in the States, is not working. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

It's on universal sports. Where you can also see a way way way too long visit London commercial featuring carlin isles loving around at the beach and destroying some nerd in volleyball

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Phobeste posted:

It's on universal sports. Where you can also see a way way way too long visit London commercial featuring carlin isles loving around at the beach and destroying some nerd in volleyball

Ah indeed. Except I do not have cable TV 😞

I do however have a web browser on my laptop...

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Yeah I was hoping for a bit more from the USA Samoa game. A few good plays especially that US try, but generally sloppy on both sides. Wales Uruguay is going to be a walkover right?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tyma posted:

Sometimes this place frustrates me, and the rugby crowd can certainly add to it when they're 10 pints deep, but that's great.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
USA isn't tackling for poo poo, it seems like every tackle Samoa is getting 5 extra yards

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
What the gently caress is going on with South Africa, us South Africans would like to know...

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

how hard is it to throw the ball straight? ffs usa

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Why are they singing Swing Low? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys