Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Desolation of Smaug:

During Smaug and Bilbo's chat in the gold pile Smaug calls Thorin " Thorin Oakenshield". Thorin got the name Oakenshield after using a giant plank of oak as shield but this didn't happen until several decades after Smaug destroyed Erebor. If he's been holed up in a gold pile this whole time with no access to the outside world how did he know Thorin's new nickname?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Desolation of Smaug:

During Smaug and Bilbo's chat in the gold pile Smaug calls Thorin " Thorin Oakenshield". Thorin got the name Oakenshield after using a giant plank of oak as shield but this didn't happen until several decades after Smaug destroyed Erebor. If he's been holed up in a gold pile this whole time with no access to the outside world how did he know Thorin's new nickname?

He goes out sometimes. Also he has magic powers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cornuto posted:

A man is eating food in a diner. Ben Kingsley walks up to him and shows him spooky photos. The first man tells Ben Kingsley that he's hosed up. Ben Kingsley watches as the man leaves the diner. The man gets directly into his car and drives off. The camera focuses on the man driving. Half of the shot is focused on the back seat. "No," I say to myself, "they aren't going to do it. There is no way the director is going to ask us to believe Ben Kingsley snuck into the back seat." But he did, and Ben Kingsley delivers a super badass line of dialogue just so we know what a truely terrifying badass he is.

This was the first scene of "Suspect Zero." It was as far as I could get.

Well to be fair, if you didn't watch the rest of the film, how do you know that Ben Kingsley wasn't playing twins.... or even triplets! Or maybe there are a ton of Ben Kingsley clones running around causing havoc?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Desolation of Smaug:

While Sauron was recuperating from the loss of his corporeal form, he kinda crashed on Smaug's couch for a couple of centuries and kept him up to date on goings-on through Spiritual Middle-Earth Facebook. "I'll move back to Mordor just as soon as I get back on my feet, y'know?" he'd often insist to an increasingly frustrated Smaug.

Jerusalem has a new favorite as of 03:14 on Sep 19, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
My (I think) pretty rational irritation with The Desolation of Smaug was that the title promised desolation of Smaug, and we got none. There are some hijinx in the armory and a weird drug trippy gold scene with Thorin, Smaug gets out, and then it ends. The big attack on Lake Town - my favorite scene from the book that I've wanted to see since I was a kid - was shuffled off into the beginning of the 3rd which isn't even about Smaug, and then after a few minutes it's just "Welp, took care of that, what's next?" Being the climax of the 2nd film would've made it important, and the way they did it made Smaug's story, and by extension Bard's, pretty useless in favor of making up other action scenes and further bloating the trilogy.

Lotish posted:

I haven't seen the film since I saw chunks of it on Sci-fi in the 90s. What was the point? I thought it was "people are trapped in a murderbox; drama ensues."

The point is pretty much everything David Hewlett's character says. He's the exposition guy.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

sticklefifer posted:

My (I think) pretty rational irritation with The Desolation of Smaug was that the title promised desolation of Smaug, and we got none. There are some hijinx in the armory and a weird drug trippy gold scene with Thorin, Smaug gets out, and then it ends. The big attack on Lake Town - my favorite scene from the book that I've wanted to see since I was a kid - was shuffled off into the beginning of the 3rd which isn't even about Smaug, and then after a few minutes it's just "Welp, took care of that, what's next?" Being the climax of the 2nd film would've made it important, and the way they did it made Smaug's story, and by extension Bard's, pretty useless in favor of making up other action scenes and further bloating the trilogy.

Pretty sure the Desolation of Smaug was in reference to how he had left the surrounding area ever since moving in to the Dwarf Stronghold. Not the fight at Lake Town.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

dpack_1 posted:

Pretty sure the Desolation of Smaug was in reference to how he had left the surrounding area ever since moving in to the Dwarf Stronghold. Not the fight at Lake Town.

No, the true Desolation of Smaug was inside his heart the whole time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sticklefifer posted:

My (I think) pretty rational irritation with The Desolation of Smaug was that the title promised desolation of Smaug, and we got none.

The Desolation of Smaug is a place, not an event. It's the area around the Lonely Mountain.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grendels Dad posted:

While I do have enormous respect for the actors and other people working in the film industry, yeah this. Whenever I hear actors talk about some gruelling challenge I just think "Millions of dollars, millions of dollars, millions of dollars."

It's always fun to read about low-budget films because being an actor on a lot of those sound legit difficult since people were being paid really badly. Like on the Texas Chainsaw Massacre most of the creepy bone and leather props in the horror house are made from real rotting animal carcasses gotten from a vet. This was all kept in a poorly ventilated house in the middle of a heatwave making even being in the house really hard and they had to be there for hours trying to pretend not to be constantly on the verge of vomiting. Then the mob took almost all of the profits from the film and none of the actors ever saw any real money despite the films success.

The Evil Dead was also pretty grueling. The lenses the possessed people wore were so thick that it was impossible to see anything in them and they could only wear them for short periods of time or otherwise they might seriously damage their eyes. If a scene called for a window to be smashed they'd actually smash it, none of that fancy sugarglass poo poo, and hope that none of the shards cut the actors on the other side. If something needed to be shot they'd actually shoot it, they'd replace the actor with a puppet or something but they'd use real live ammo and just tell everyone to move out of the way.They didn't really have enough money to pay any actors other than Bruce Campell, who was heavily involved in the films production and willing to work cheaply, so basically any shot where you don't see peoples faces was done later by "Fake Shemps" dressed as the actors. Friends and family members of the director and producer who were willing to come out to a freezing cabin in the middle of nowhere and "act" for hours upon hours for no pay. I think the bulk of it is done by Ted Raimi, the directors brother, who was like 14 at the time.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just rewatched Liar Liar and it irrationally irritates me how it waffles on whether Jim Carrey can only say things that are objectively true or things he just thinks are true. Also in one scene it shows that he is compelled to say true things involuntarily (as opposed to just staying quiet), but the climax of the movie largely hinges on an elaborate lie of omission.

Come on, nineties family comedies. Some of us want to enjoy a movie intellectually. :spergin:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the nineties are a magic era where you could unplug your brain and enjoy a silly movie.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Danger Mahoney posted:

I just rewatched Liar Liar and it irrationally irritates me how it waffles on whether Jim Carrey can only say things that are objectively true or things he just thinks are true. Also in one scene it shows that he is compelled to say true things involuntarily (as opposed to just staying quiet), but the climax of the movie largely hinges on an elaborate lie of omission.

Come on, nineties family comedies. Some of us want to enjoy a movie intellectually. :spergin:

The whole "victory" in the courtroom doesn't make any sense. So she was too young when she was married to have signed a prenup, the problem is that in most states that would also make you too young to have signed the marriage certificate/license so she STILL wouldn't be entitled to the estate.

Unless anyone is a California lawyer goon and can educate me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

the nineties are a magic era where you could unplug your brain and enjoy a silly movie.

I'm convinced that this is why Face/Off actually has a good reputation

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

The whole "victory" in the courtroom doesn't make any sense. So she was too young when she was married to have signed a prenup, the problem is that in most states that would also make you too young to have signed the marriage certificate/license so she STILL wouldn't be entitled to the estate.

Unless anyone is a California lawyer goon and can educate me.

Technically I think she could've had parental permission to get married, but not be legally able to engage in contracts due to her age. Depends on the laws though.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Danger Mahoney posted:

I think he's just compelled to answer questions, but he can squeeze out a technically true statement when he needs to.

Is there anytime he says something objectively false that he believes is true? It's been like 20 years since I've seen it. If everything he said had to be objectively true despite his own knowledge, and he couldn't falsely answer a question, you could ask him winning lottery numbers or who shot JFK or something.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dr_Amazing posted:

I think he's just compelled to answer questions, but he can squeeze out a technically true statement when he needs to.

Is there anytime he says something objectively false that he believes is true? It's been like 20 years since I've seen it. If everything he said had to be objectively true despite his own knowledge, and he couldn't falsely answer a question, you could ask him winning lottery numbers or who shot JFK or something.

He was allowed to say "I don't know." If he didn't.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm convinced that this is why Face/Off actually has a good reputation

Face/Off has a good reputation because it's unbelievably stupid and every single person involved in the making of the film outside of maybe the director seem to understand this and are just having the time of their life making this ridiculous movie.

I think the same deal applies to the equally ridiculous Con Air.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
John Woo is a saint

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jerusalem posted:

Face/Off has a good reputation because it's unbelievably stupid and every single person involved in the making of the film outside of maybe the director seem to understand this and are just having the time of their life making this ridiculous movie.

I think the same deal applies to the equally ridiculous Con Air.

Yes, but once you have taken that bunny out of the box it's impossible to get it back in again.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
On the topic of 90s movies that we like for nostalgia only, I recently watched The Rock again .
EVERYTHING explodes.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
This thread got me to watch Cube for the first time since it first came out on video and I was but a wee lad who watched it with his dad, and my IIMM is when they first get the idea that prime numbers indicate trapped rooms and the first two numbers the girl looks at after explaining the concept are a multiple of 5 and an even number. It should have taken less than a quarter second to realize those cant be prime numbers, but she still has to mull it over.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Who What Now posted:

This thread got me to watch Cube for the first time since it first came out on video and I was but a wee lad who watched it with his dad, and my IIMM is when they first get the idea that prime numbers indicate trapped rooms and the first two numbers the girl looks at after explaining the concept are a multiple of 5 and an even number. It should have taken less than a quarter second to realize those cant be prime numbers, but she still has to mull it over.

Look she's under a lot of stress, ok. Its easy to point out the flaws from your chair.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

dpack_1 posted:

Jedit posted:

The Desolation of Smaug is a place, not an event. It's the area around the Lonely Mountain.

I don't care, my point stands. :colbert: The movie named for him split up his story and shoved off his climactic moment to a back-seat position because we needed barrel escapes and Thorin having weird fights with imaginary gold monsters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

it's technically only named for a place named for him.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Who What Now posted:

I thought it mattered that they were powers of primes not just flat primes. That's why they needed rainman to crunch those numbers.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Krinkle posted:

I thought it mattered that they were powers of primes not just flat primes. That's why they needed rainman to crunch those numbers.

This was the case, yes, but they didn't figure that out until about 3/4 through the movie. And first the girl did think it just matter if they were primes themselves.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Frostwerks posted:

The ancient greeks were decadent homosexuals except for the spartans who were warlike homosexuals.

Did you forget you werent in GBS or are worthless posts like this just second nature?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Frostwerks posted:

John Woo is a saint

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Maybe it's unfair of me to expect the plots of kids films to make sense - but my kids have been watching the recent Annie remake over and over again as kids are want to do, and one of the first things that struck me is that the main villain's plot makes absolutely no sense.

So in the original Annie, as I recall, the plot of the bad guys was to pose as Annie's real parents, collect the reward, then drown Annie in the river and run off with the money. I guess for the remake they decided that was too violent/scary so instead they have the evil campaign manager plot to have a fake set of parents claim Annie, making Stacks look like a hero for re-uniting a child with her parents, then, in his words, "dump her back into the system". Except - in the time Annie was living with Stacks she had become a huge celebrity. Was he thinking no member of the media would do any follow up at all on this huge news story? Did he think no one would find it at all odd that this girl who was supposedly reunited with her parents was suddenly in foster care again? And the fake parents he hires don't even try to pretend to Annie that they are her real parents the moment they are away from Stacks, pretty much assuring that she'd try to get away from them.

Funny thing about that movie, pretty much every review talks about how horrible Cameron Diaz is in it and how shes the worst part of the movie. I had the opposite reaction, to me she's the only one who realizes shes in a really dumb movie and just goes with it, while everyone else actually tries to act and it's totally embarrassing.

One other irrationally irritating thing about Annie (sorry, I've seen this like 40 times over the past three weeks):

- EDIT: Never mind - oddly enough this scene came on in the next room after I typed this and I realize Stacks is actually singing this song in character, so it goes along with being a musical.

- Early in the movie an inspector comes to Hannigan's apartment, and he's played by Mike Birbiglia, who is a really funny comedian and great comic presence - and he does nothing. He has no funny lines or ever shows up again. Unless something got left on the cutting room floor, why do you hire a talented comedian for a role and give him nothing to do?

letthereberock has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Sep 21, 2015

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Captain Monkey posted:

Technically I think she could've had parental permission to get married, but not be legally able to engage in contracts due to her age. Depends on the laws though.

I think it renders them both null because of her age but because they've been living together so long it becomes common law marriage and community property applies so she gets half.

But I could have just made that up.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nutsngum posted:

Did you forget you werent in GBS or are worthless posts like this just second nature?

I work very hard on them

I stand by my sentiment.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This is an excellent supporting argument that John Woo is a saint, yes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The Precocious Youngster.

I was watching "The Greatest Game Ever Played" last night and the 12 year old caddie reminded me of this. See also the daughter from "Remember the Titans", "Short Round", Timmy from "Jurrassic Park", the daughter from "The Lost World", kid from "Iron Man 3"...I'm sure I'm missing a million of them

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Memento posted:

This is an excellent supporting argument that John Woo is a saint, yes.

I was presenting this as evidence as what else can be Wilford Brimley + bow and arrow + explosions + Cajun accent be?

bobkatt013 has a new favorite as of 15:58 on Sep 22, 2015

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
In Divergent the Dauntless phyle are preparing to initiate a massive war, but this year is the first that they decide that they will use an excessively harsh ranking system that cuts out over a third of their recruits, no matter how good the lower-ranked ones might actually be. Might just be a fact of the book/film's RPG-city-syndrome though (where there's either as many or as few people around as fits the setting).

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

BiggerBoat posted:

The Precocious Youngster.

I was watching "The Greatest Game Ever Played" last night and the 12 year old caddie reminded me of this. See also the daughter from "Remember the Titans", "Short Round", Timmy from "Jurrassic Park", the daughter from "The Lost World", kid from "Iron Man 3"...I'm sure I'm missing a million of them

It's because writers want/need a child character but can't write for them so they just wrote normal dialogue for adults and it sounds precocious spoken by a child.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's because writers want/need a child character but can't write for them so they just wrote normal dialogue for adults and it sounds precocious spoken by a child.

Clearly writers need to start keeping a handful of kids on retainer to write all their dialog for them.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Rurea posted:

Clearly writers need to start keeping a handful of kids on retainer to write all their dialog for them.

Just write the usual dialog, and then throw in "like" every few words. Problem solved.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nah man, you need a few OH EM GEE and LAWL and also things like GURL and maybe also WEED CIGARETTE or whatever the kids are calling it these days.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Funny enough in Shyamalan's movies he writes kids like adults and writes adults like kids.

The adults are all like "whaaaa?" and act really stupid, meanwhile the kids are all really introspective and have these perfect commentaries. Its pretty dumb.

In general dialogue for kids in movies is way wrong. Not that kids are dumb, I was a pretty smart kid. But they just like... overlook things. And they're naive.

I was watching After Earth (:suicide:) and all of Jayden Smith's dialogue is loving weird. Although Will Smith's character is even loving weirder. He shows no emotion at all under any circumstance except when he's yelling at his son, then he loving blows up into mister angryface can't-control-my-emotions-at-all.

Oh and his name is loving Cipher Rage. REALLY Shyamalan? Holy loving poo poo. High schoolers know better than to write characters named Cipher Rage.

And Jayden (Kitai Rage lol) has the incredible line "My suit's turned black! I like it, but I think it's something bad!" :v: What in the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With precocious children I liked the kid in iron Man 3. I thought the scene with him and Stark parting was pretty funny. Earlier the kid tries to stop Tony leaving or some such thing, or wants to be his protege, I've forgotten teh context but he claims that they have a 'connection'
Later Tony is about to drive off, the kid tries to stop him by whining and this exchange happens:

Kid: :qq:
Tony :3:

:qq: I'm cold...
:3: I know. Wanna know how?
:qq: *Nods*
:3: Cause we have a ~connection~ :v: *Drives off at top speed*