Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Jan posted:

How long would sous-vide meat last outside of the fridge or, at best, in a cooler? I'm going on a short, one night canoe camping trip this weekend. If it could last at least the first day, I'm thinking some vizzled steaks or chicken breasts would be fun to finish over a campfire on the evening.

I vizzle->freeze->cooler->campfire all the time. Depending on how good your cooler is and how long you intend to wait, freezing may not be necessary. Just make sure it stays at refrigerator temps until you need it, like anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm at the point where I'm pretty sure sous vide can go gently caress itself except for a few oddball applications.

Took a decent, choice grade strip steak, 1.5" thick, pre-sear, sous vide at 130 for 1 hour, season and sear, served with a pan sauce. It looks beautiful. Edge to edge perfect medium rare, you can see the moisture on the meat, great crust, seasoning works well. Why the gently caress does it taste dry? I can make much juicier steak with traditional methods even if it doesn't look quite as good. There were a couple of bites towards the middle that really delivered, but most of the steak had that somewhat abrasive dryness you can feel in your mouth, despite there being plenty of actual liquid.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Maybe it was an crappy piece of meat to begin with (cows do vary). I've never had a dry-seeming steak except for a few experiments with cheap cuts. Next time, cut the steak in half and do one half sous vide and the other the way you usually do it. That'll make for a more fair comparison.

Better yet, do a few pieces at different times and temps, too. I myself usually do 1-1.5 hours @ 133 for a steak but everyone has their own preference. (Sorry if you already did this, I don't memorize these threads well.)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

baquerd posted:

I'm at the point where I'm pretty sure sous vide can go gently caress itself except for a few oddball applications.

Took a decent, choice grade strip steak, 1.5" thick, pre-sear, sous vide at 130 for 1 hour, season and sear, served with a pan sauce. It looks beautiful. Edge to edge perfect medium rare, you can see the moisture on the meat, great crust, seasoning works well. Why the gently caress does it taste dry? I can make much juicier steak with traditional methods even if it doesn't look quite as good. There were a couple of bites towards the middle that really delivered, but most of the steak had that somewhat abrasive dryness you can feel in your mouth, despite there being plenty of actual liquid.

1 hour isn't long enough. At that point you've probably spent ~45min at target temp, tightening the gently caress out of that collagen. Let it go 3-4 hours, that'll get you the super tender mouthfeel you're looking for. I also like to season before going into the bag, just salt and aromatics, pepper AFTER searing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

1 hour isn't long enough. At that point you've probably spent ~45min at target temp, tightening the gently caress out of that collagen. Let it go 3-4 hours, that'll get you the super tender mouthfeel you're looking for. I also like to season before going into the bag, just salt and aromatics, pepper AFTER searing.
If the problem is dryness then lengthening the duration of the cook is almost certainly exactly the wrong approach. For temperatures around 131 F/55 C you're going to gain tenderness but lose moisture (into the bag) throughout a 1-4 hour cook and the effect of denaturing collagen into gelatin is going to be minimal (it will happen, but in order for it to be a major factor in the mouthfeel of beef you have to be looking at longer cooks).

As a general rule if you're going for the feel of a traditional medium-rare steak you're better off just getting the meat to temperature and then searing it off. And for anything rarer (under 130 F) you don't want to hold for hours at that temperature for food safety reasons. For fattier/more marbled cuts you're better off going up to around 135 F/57 C and a medium steak to render the fat, but you'll loose proportionally more water.

And as a technical note the texture changes in a medium-rare steak are mostly due to tightening of the myofibrillar proteins like myosin and actin, not connective tissue proteins like collagen. Connective tissue in beef doesn't really appreciably contract until around 140 F/60F. The various myofibrillar proteins (there are literally dozens, but the majority in a piece of beef are myosin and actin) start shrinking (transversely) in appreciable amounts around 100 F/38 C. This causes most of the water loss you see in a medium-rare steak. At higher temperatures the same proteins contract longitudinally, and this is the primary cause of the much larger loss of water you see when going to medium. Baldwin goes into greater detail on all of this in Sous Vide Cooking: A Review complete with references.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

1 hour isn't long enough.

SubG posted:

lengthening the duration of the cook is almost certainly exactly the wrong approach.

Choadmaster posted:

do a few pieces at different times and temps... everyone has their own preference.

Experiment. It's a good excuse to eat steak.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

baquerd posted:

Don't presear. I've never noticed an improvement, and I swear it actually hurts texture. Kenji says there's no harm, though.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
For what it's worth, I never presear, and once I figured out all the steps my steaks have almost always turned out pretty good.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hey yall. Sous vided up some brisket. It tastes delicious (and is ridiculously tender), but I need some good barbecue sauce. Any good recipes / bottled recommendations?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bogart posted:

Hey yall. Sous vided up some brisket. It tastes delicious (and is ridiculously tender), but I need some good barbecue sauce. Any good recipes / bottled recommendations?

For bottled, I like Bullseye.

Or dump a bunch of ketchup in a pot with some kind of vinegar (white or apple cider are the most common), some kind of sugar (dark brown, molasses, honey, whatever), maybe some butter, and any other flavors you like (minced onion/onion powder, garlic, cayenne), adjust and cook it down until you get something you like, and finish with liquid smoke if that's your thing. You will probably need more sugar than you think is reasonable.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Amazingribs.com has a decent bbq sauce recipe. Its really tart alone but good on meat. Use some tamarind

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Saute 3 large yellow onions and 2 heads worth of whole garlic cloves with whatever kind of pepper you like. I use habanero. Throw in tomato paste and Dijon mustard, stir constantly until a carpet forms, deglaze with beer, I use Shiner. Reduce that by half, add 1 cup of Worcestershire and 2 cups of apple cider vinegar. Reduce by half again, add in 5lb of canned tomato, reduce by 1/4. Add brown sugar and liquid smoke to taste.
E: puree obviously

This is, in my opinion, the best approach to BBQ sauce. I like to put a shot of bourbon in the 24oz squeeze bottles I store it in.

This recipe yields about a gallon of sauce.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

For bottled, I like Bullseye.

Or dump a bunch of ketchup in a pot with some kind of vinegar (white or apple cider are the most common), some kind of sugar (dark brown, molasses, honey, whatever), maybe some butter, and any other flavors you like (minced onion/onion powder, garlic, cayenne), adjust and cook it down until you get something you like, and finish with liquid smoke if that's your thing. You will probably need more sugar than you think is reasonable.

Heh. My ex-wife used to make "BBQ sauce", Then I taught her about liquid smoke...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Any recommendations for boneless pork loin? How well does chilli/fennel work in a bag because I like to smother it in that + garlic for roasting and idk if losing that is worth it

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Test a small portion (a bite or two) in a small baggie.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I vizzled this glorious bone in pork chop this last Sunday but for many reasons it does not look like I will be able to sear and consume until Wednesday.

Is this a problem? I cooked it for about 90 minutes or so at 135 degrees and it went straight into ice and then has been in the fridge ever since.

Will I notice any loss of flavor or anything by waiting 10 days before searing/eating? I unexpectedly have been out all week and will be until Wednesday night and it will suck if I wasted $10 on the chop

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

It'll be fine.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Got a question: I have a recipe for shredded beef that basically consists of: Dash it with liquid smoke, cover it in beef broth, 400 degrees in a crock pot for two hours then shred.

If I just took that, slid it into a vac-bag instead of a crock-pot, and vizzled it at 80 degrees C, there shouldn't be a problem with that should there?

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Bought an Anova a long time ago but never used it, finally got around to it today.

Decided to do bone in skin on chicken thighs for my very first cook. 165 degrees for 3 hours.

[/

Ice bath to stop the cooking and to put in the fridge.

Pan fried it in vegetable oil for 3 minutes on a side. I think I could have got the oil hotter before hand.

Money shot.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

3 hours at 165 is overkill. Try 2 hours at 145 next time. A major point of sous vide is being able to pasteurize things at lower temperatures, so you can eat that delicious medium chicken.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I did some boneless pork chops at 140 for an hour rather than the 144 I tried last time and they're definitely better.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

3 hours at 165 is overkill. Try 2 hours at 145 next time. A major point of sous vide is being able to pasteurize things at lower temperatures, so you can eat that delicious medium chicken.

Also, the ice bath to "stop" the cooking is somewhat confusing to me. Is that a thing? I know I've used it for blanching veggies, but it doesn't seem like it would do anything here.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

Also, the ice bath to "stop" the cooking is somewhat confusing to me. Is that a thing? I know I've used it for blanching veggies, but it doesn't seem like it would do anything here.

You only need to do that if you're not gonna eat it right away. It's a food safety thing.

(Although I have done a quick ice bath for something I was then going to bread and fry quickly, so I wouldn't overcook it in the fry process)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

3 hours at 165 is overkill.

Not for chicken thighs! I started out using the same temps as chicken breast and the result was chewy and pretty gross. I usually do 160F for 2 hours now.

baquerd posted:

Also, the ice bath to "stop" the cooking is somewhat confusing to me.

It's not to stop the cooking as much as get inside temperature back down a bit so you can fry the skin without overcooking the rest of the thigh too much.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

I gave it an ice bath because it was going into the fridge for 10 hours until dinner time. But I would do it also as has been said to get crispy skin without heating the meat to much.

I chose the temp and time after reading that serious eats article and have to say I could eat chicken thighs like that forever. Might try the 160 for 2 hrs that Jan likes.

Right now I have spare ribs in the puddle, 10 hrs into a 24 dip at 152 degrees. Time/temp from another serious eats article.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Starkk posted:

Right now I have spare ribs in the puddle, 10 hrs into a 24 dip at 152 degrees. Time/temp from another serious eats article.

Hope you're using a vacuum sealer.

I tried 24 hour ribs twice, and in both cases the ziploc bag I was using had some fluid seeping in and out. Taking it out, none of the fluid immediately escaped, so it was more likely something very gradual over time.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Jan posted:

Hope you're using a vacuum sealer.

I tried 24 hour ribs twice, and in both cases the ziploc bag I was using had some fluid seeping in and out. Taking it out, none of the fluid immediately escaped, so it was more likely something very gradual over time.

Yeah bought a food saver 3240 I think is the model. Didn't want to deal with the negatives of using zip loc bags.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Put some spare ribs in the bath for 24 hours at 152 degrees then finished them in the oven.

The meat was very juicy and tender, but not mushy. Meat came off the bone fairly easily but wasn't falling off. I do miss the bark you can build using a smoker but if not smoking them this is definitely my preferred method now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I feel like an idiot asking, but I can't seem to google it and my memory is useless.

What's the name of the sous vide potato technique? I think it involves cooking at two temperatures, and it breaks down in some fancy way.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
You might be thinking of the potato puree to make really potatoey mashed potatoes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm not sure that's it, but that's interesting!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

I'm not sure that's it, but that's interesting!

Pretty sure you're thinking of starch retrogradation.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

On Food and Cooking page 283 posted:

Precooking Can Give a Persistent Firmness to Some Vegetables and Fruits: ... including potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, carrots, beans, cauliflower, tomatoes, cherries, apples ... cooking at 130-140F/55-60C for 20-30 minutes, these foods develop a persistent firmness that survives prolonged final cooking

There is also the technique to make sweet potatoes sweeter: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/food-lab-sweet-potatoes-mashed-science-not-sugar-thanksgiving.html (this is also mentioned in On Food and Cooking if you're interested)

In theory, you could do a three step cooking method: cook sweet potatoes at 130F for 30 minutes, then at 145F for 2 hours, then at 185F for 1 to 2 hours for extra sweet still kind of crunchy sweet potatoes for a sweet potato salad or something.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Starting another cook tonight, 48+ hr chuck roast @ 131 F.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

overdesigned posted:

Pretty sure you're thinking of starch retrogradation.

Yes! Thank you!

CrazySalamander posted:

In theory, you could do a three step cooking method: cook sweet potatoes at 130F for 30 minutes, then at 145F for 2 hours, then at 185F for 1 to 2 hours for extra sweet still kind of crunchy sweet potatoes for a sweet potato salad or something.

Not sure how I feel about crunchy sweet potatoes in a salad, but it's an interesting idea.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Made a chuck roast, 50 hours at 131 degrees.

Also made some mashed potatoes and gravy to go with. Going to have to work on my gravy game though, but n2b for my first time.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That roast looks beautiful. What did you season with, and how did you finish it?

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Norns posted:

That roast looks beautiful. What did you season with, and how did you finish it?

Kept it simple just salt/pep/garlic powder. Seared on a very hot cast iron pan. The gravy was made from the juices in the bag/fond from the sear and some chicken stock(didn't have any beef).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got a bag of frozen cod pieces (each one about two inches long and an inch wide). It came in a vacuum sealed bag that I can just puddle directly. Any suggestions on time/temp, and recipe suggestions? I'm open to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

The Midniter posted:

I got a bag of frozen cod pieces (each one about two inches long and an inch wide). It came in a vacuum sealed bag that I can just puddle directly. Any suggestions on time/temp, and recipe suggestions? I'm open to anything.

I do mine in batches for a week 55°C for 30-40 minutes.