Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

pksage posted:

For the missing 2*/3* abilities in particular (the 2* AOE black magicks, Life's Touch, Water Strength, Lullaby, Mana's Paean, Box Step), I just want their craftability tacked onto a Dungeon Update. Give us Resistance Etude as the day 3 login bonus, Unholy Blitz as the day 6 login reward and Cactuar as the day 10 login reward. Donezo.

I'm actually gonna send an email to DeNA about those abilities. It can't hurt, right?

Be sure to mention that one of Dr. Mog's boss tips in game recommends using Life's Touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

pksage posted:

For the missing 2*/3* abilities in particular (the 2* AOE black magicks, Life's Touch, Water Strength, Lullaby, Mana's Paean, Box Step), I just want their craftability tacked onto a Dungeon Update. Give us Resistance Etude as the day 3 login bonus, Unholy Blitz as the day 6 login reward and Cactuar as the day 10 login reward. Donezo.

I'm actually gonna send an email to DeNA about those abilities. It can't hurt, right?
Yeah, couldn't hurt to do so.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
"Y'shtola has mastered Stoneskin II." Well alright then. :c00lbert:

Burning through as many story dungeons as I can during this downtime, since I'm only up to Babel Giant pt.1 so far (also been killing some of the earlier 2 stamina shard elites I didn't get to yet). I think if I hit 50 mithril (only at 21 atm) before the event ends I might do a 3rd pull since all the relics are nice and powerful. Thancred still sucks but getting his relics, or the rod, or the armor for Y'shtola would be nice. Especially the armor for her, since she'd become so very potent due to the AOE heal being more useful than stoneskin in some cases (especially if I'd use Tyro for breakdown duties instead of Sazh for whatever reason).

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

So Double Hit is definitely looking like it's the RM the game never wants me to get. I've burned half a bar trying to get it today, and nothing.

(In cases where I've needed to RW-refresh I've been doing Semitt instead of Fabul Castle to try for it, too).

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

AweStriker posted:

So Double Hit is definitely looking like it's the RM the game never wants me to get. I've burned half a bar trying to get it today, and nothing.

(In cases where I've needed to RW-refresh I've been doing Semitt instead of Fabul Castle to try for it, too).

Half a bar? I must have spent upwards of 700 stamina hunting for it at this point. Got both Summoner and Tyro RM2s, and no Double Hit. It's gotten to the point where I'm not sure what is real anymore.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Every time I spend money on an 11-pull, this is my experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryAO8Zmv4ag

I'm Steve and Dena is Dr. Weird

Yeah this is pretty much spot-on

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Jibo posted:

How so? Is there a glut of multitarget death vulnerable bosses coming up? I can't think of any reason to run Odin over Valefor, Meteor or (eventually) Ruinga.

I'm not talking about any bosses in particular (although lord knows they love throwing that Seymour fight at us again, and again, and again...). But it's a high-potency AoE attack with a virtually guaranteed Death proc tacked on. Good for clearing a wave of trash every stage? Check. Guaranteed one-hit KO on tougher single monsters (whose HP is often over 10,000 and can't be taken out by a Valefor or whatever)? Check (usually). Good for bosses that have/gain death susceptibility? Check. Good for bosses that come with a bunch of annoying death-vulnerable goons? Extra check.

The issue with the other instant-KO abilities is they're significantly less accurate and they're not very useful outside of the boss you presumably want them for. Dungeons are getting hard enough that you probably don't have a lot of spare ability slots, so using one on Pressure Point (which can't be restored mid-dungeon, is only single-target, and 50% accurate) or Death (which is only a single cast also, less accurate, single target, and doesn't even do damage if it misses) seems wasteful. You can give a summoner a r4 Valefor and a r1 Odin and have them clear two out of three waves of every stage of a dungeon, then still have some firepower at the boss and the ability to take advantage of any death vulnerability without having to drag along a monk or waste a black mage spot on Death.
And it should remain excellent even as trash gets stronger and stronger, because most trash should remain death-vulnerable and the actual damage numbers don't matter. Hell, you could put it on a white mage/summoner specced for MND and still have it work for clearing hard trash waves due to the 99% death accuracy.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 19, 2015

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

KnoxZone posted:

e: Ok, all the classic dungeons are completed. Time to go straight into Battle on the Big Bridge Elite. Time to see how I fare in this extremely intimidating looking dungeon. In a matter of hours I will finally be able to use that little black mage of doom... or I will be down 100 stamina. At least the music is great.

In the end, that dungeon actually wasn't nearly as hard as I was fearing. The trash could survive Quake (and of course the cats are immune to it), but were all so low health that cleaning up wasn't a big deal. Gilgamesh gave me a heart attack when he casually hit Eiko for 6000 damage on my first attempt, but once I got mitigation and blind up he ceased being a threat. Just a lot of HP to pound through. Now I can finally use Vivi and his all important record materias.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!
I'm gonna go for the Summoner Crystal later today.

Is there any way I can clear it without Carbuncle or am I screwed out of getting Valefor for now?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

AweStriker posted:

ZiegeDame posted:

Half a bar? I must have spent upwards of 700 stamina hunting for it at this point. Got both Summoner and Tyro RM2s, and no Double Hit. It's gotten to the point where I'm not sure what is real anymore.

The moment I complain, there it is. May it work for you, too.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Mingus Dew posted:

Is there any way I can clear it without Carbuncle or am I screwed out of getting Valefor for now?

If you could find a Celes RW with Runic, that works almost as well. You're probably going to be hating life if you can't bring either.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Mingus Dew posted:

Runic is the obvious solution. Advance can also work if you load up on both physical and magical mitigation.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

If I had to pick, I'd rather have the missing abilities (Mana's Paean in particular) over the MCs. The MCs will appear again, but who knows when the abilities would re-appear, if at all.

Mog and Edward's MCs eventually turned up in FF6/FF4 events. Leon's ended up in a stupidly hard dungeon as most tend to.

Firion's MC has yet to resurface whatsoever.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

If you could find a Celes RW with Runic, that works almost as well. You're probably going to be hating life if you can't bring either.

I don't think it's really doable without runic or carbuncle unless you are way over the minimum power needed. I missed runic refresh by a couple seconds and he killed two dudes through shell who had a decent amount of hp instantly.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

AweStriker posted:

I spent over 1000 stamina on it

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

koolkal posted:

I spent over 1000 stamina on it

I got bard, summoner, and Josef to 50 and farmed ff2 until I had all three

Josef took a few days

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Speaking of record materia, I currently hold every single available one. Wasted quite a bit of stamina on that.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I done did it:

email to ffrk-en-support@dena.com posted:

Hello! I'm <real name>, a huge fan of FFRK. I'm not currently having any problems that require support, but I do have a question!

I know the Japanese version of FFRK should be considered a separate game, and we shouldn't expect things to be the same between Japanese and Global. For example, it's wonderful that the Global version got Flames of Vengeance "ahead of schedule"! The differences are understandable -- for example, the Global version never got the Emperor's SaGa event (マルディアスの邪神) because Emperor's SaGa has not been released outside of Japan. However, this also means that the Global version never got most of the new abilities introduced in that event. Some of them are very useful abilities, and my question is: will we be able to craft and use those "missed" abilities in the future?

The abilities in question are:

ファイアボール (Black Magic, **, "Fireball")
レインコール (Black Magic, **, "Rain Call / Rainstorm")
力の水 (White Magic, ***, "Water Strength")
生命波 (Support, **, "Life's Touch"; this ability is referenced in the Global version boss hint for FFVI Mt. Zozo)
邪剣波 (Combat, ****, "Unholy Blitz")

We DID gain the ability to craft 叩き潰す ("Pound"), from the same event, during the Festival of Gold. Thank you for that!

I always look forward to new FFRK events and dungeons. Thanks for creating a wonderful game!

- <real name>

I might have sucked a little too much dick in that email, but someone on reddit posted a vaguely annoyed email they got a week or two ago when THEY asked about some JP client thing, so I figured I'd err on the side of groveling.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

pksage posted:

I done did it:

I might have sucked a little too much dick in that email, but someone on reddit posted a vaguely annoyed email they got a week or two ago when THEY asked about some JP client thing, so I figured I'd err on the side of groveling.

Awesome! Yeah, I doubt anything will come from it aside from a rote "Japan is Japan and Global is Global" response, but the more messages like that they receive the more likely they are to give in eventually.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

How much of a ball-ache is it to not have sentinel's grimoire/stoneskin II if my friends list is about 60% sentinel's grimoire? I have boon and whaled a fair bit on this banner, coming away with every single item except for thyrus. gently caress me right?

Guessing the next good mitigation relic is Vanille's second (aoe heal+ protectga)?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Vanille's Blessing of Oerba is actually pretty terrible at mitigation. If you need the Protectga effect, you're not likely to need the heal (because it's at the start of a fight), and if you need the heal you're not likely to need the Protectga (because you've already got Protectga up or it's a magic-based boss). It's a good heal and a good SB, don't get me wrong, but the two different effects aren't as synergistic as they sound at first.

Anyway, you can do just fine without owning Sentinel's Grimoire or any of the Holy Trinity. I've beaten the last three [Evil] bosses in the Japan client (admittedly, two of those are considered the easiest of the [Evil] bosses by a significant margin) without having any Holy Trinity relics.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

pksage posted:

I done did it:

Looks great. You certainly love your exclamation marks! :)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Uuurg, I wish I would pay attention. I keep putting all my front-row attackers in the back row as I go through Elite dungeons, because I kill the trash using Meteor/Quake/Valefor every stage, and only bring the fighters forward for the boss. Which is an excellent plan except I keep forgetting to change their row. I'm pretty sure I've wasted 80+ stamina now going into the last stage only to realize I have to retreat to fix my formation.

Also, screw you Saturday daily. I've literally gotten twice as many ice orbs as non-elemental orbs after four full runs.

Kitschy Bitch
Jun 21, 2004
the mad whacker
Did an eleven pull, ended up with four 5*. Thyrus, the White robe, the XIV bow, and my third diamond sword. I think I've used up all my luck.

Boosted Y, threw the staff on her, made her my roaming warrior and within 12 hours there's 25 new followers. People really love stoneskin.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Beasteh posted:

How much of a ball-ache is it to not have sentinel's grimoire/stoneskin II if my friends list is about 60% sentinel's grimoire? I have boon and whaled a fair bit on this banner, coming away with every single item except for thyrus. gently caress me right?

Honestly, you only need one of the Holy Mitigation Trinity yourself. If you have two, you're 100% set, and all three is just overkill. If you have boon and a healthy set of SG RWs, you shouldn't have too much problem, especially since Sazh can run Power/Magic Breakdowns and/or Full Break, so all you need is a Protectga on your white mage to be fully mitigation'd.

Trying to rely on two characters having their soul breaks ready can range anywhere from annoying (in normal dungeons) to outright unfeasible (in boss rushes/EX fights), so there's a certain merit to someone else having SG/Stoneskin II as opposed to having it yourself.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Honestly, you only need one of the Holy Mitigation Trinity yourself. If you have two, you're 100% set, and all three is just overkill. If you have boon and a healthy set of SG RWs, you shouldn't have too much problem, especially since Sazh can run Power/Magic Breakdowns and/or Full Break, so all you need is a Protectga on your white mage to be fully mitigation'd.

Trying to rely on two characters having their soul breaks ready can range anywhere from annoying (in normal dungeons) to outright unfeasible (in boss rushes/EX fights), so there's a certain merit to someone else having SG/Stoneskin II as opposed to having it yourself.

It'd probably be a lot easier to have the SB ready to go once we get Tyro/Cloud's RM3. You might want something different for boss rushes, since longevity might be more important.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

It'd probably be a lot easier to have the SB ready to go once we get Tyro/Cloud's RM3. You might want something different for boss rushes, since longevity might be more important.

Boss rushes usually start off with the easiest one so I'd say it makes sense to just try to build meter naturally on the first one or two to be ready for the harder fights later on.

Those RMs seem really good for EX fights though, if you have any SBs worth using.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Got the notification about the new FF14 event quests, but the event quest tab is still empty...? No in-game announcement saying it's on either. huh

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Shock Trooper posted:

Got the notification about the new FF14 event quests, but the event quest tab is still empty...? No in-game announcement saying it's on either. huh

I had that too. What is that all about, new FF14 stuff?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I think someone said there will be bonus quests for the FF14 event dungeons to do with a 4 character party including Thancred and Y'shtola.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Charles Bukowski posted:

I think someone said there will be bonus quests for the FF14 event dungeons to do with a 4 character party including Thancred and Y'shtola.

Thought those were the Event Quests, which still remain empty to me.

And speaking of the event, is Gygas just a high-damage fight? Like, I know to mitigate physical damage but he feels... HP sponge-y. Anyone else feel that way?

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
The notification went out a day early, the bonus quests are still 23 hours away.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Fenris13 posted:

The notification went out a day early, the bonus quests are still 23 hours away.

I DEMAND 5 MORE MYTHRIL FOR THIS OUTRAGE!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, the Event Rules say the quests are added 9/20. Incidentally, I'm waiting to do all the levels after getting the characters so I only have to do them once but not having the memory crystals to start grinding them up after getting their relics is really hard...

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
So, thoughts on combining a few 5*s? Zantetsuken, Shark, and Kaiser knuckles. Reddit seems to think even the idea is a travesty, but I'm wondering why since it feels like the majority of encounters go through a primary retaliator who you want to have at max damage.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I really wouldn't combine anything a lot of characters can use. If you're using Advance, you don't need the extra power, and if you're not using Advance you won't be killing the harder bosses quick enough if you've sacrificed everything to power up a single character.

The Kaiser Knuckles you might consider combining, though. It's going to be pretty rare that you'll have two characters whose best weapon option is the Kaiser Knuckle in the same party.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Just got this reply to my query about the SaGa abilities:

quote:

Hello there,

Thank you for playing FINAL FANTASY Record Keeper.

We really appreciate that you took time to contact us and we are very surprised and pleased to note that you are also interested in the Japanese version of FFRK.

We always love to hear from the players and really appreciate your enthusiasm! As for your query regarding the abilities, we cannot reveal any information at this time, but it's definitely worth keeping an eye on the in-game announcements, official strategy site, Facebook and Twitter for all the latest information. As soon as any updates are made, these information sources will be first to announce it!
New characters, abilities, equipment, dungeons and features are being added all the time as FINAL FANTASY Record Keeper continues to grow.

Feedback from the players is passed directly to the developers, so if you have any suggestions or requests, feel free to contact us anytime!

We hope you continue to enjoy playing FINAL FANTASY Record Keeper.

Feel free to contact us anytime, eh? :awesome:

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I suppose that makes sense. I just guess I feel like most of my trash clears these days are quake/summons/diaga/comet with casters with refresh RMs on them, and I generally only have one capable melee character at best. Not sure if that changes down the line or if it's a personal playstyle thing. The temptation to combine is strong though.

E: doesn't higher star gear also get incredibly better RS too?

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 20, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KataraniSword posted:

Having soul breaks for bosses in the 80+ diff dungeons isn't too hard since you can take 2, sometimes 3, hits to kill enemies while still getting full medals on the trash waves. That builds up a lot of SB fast, especially if you put High Scorer on someone whose SB you want for the boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can anybody help me? I got an error code 1014 at the title screen, so I uninstalled it. Now Google Play won't let me redownload the game. Halp. What do?

• Locked thread