Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Boy Problems is a great song that would be a standout on a lesser album. It'd do well as a single, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Listened to Lana Del Rey's new album tonight, Honeymoon. :homebrew: I really liked it. If you aren't already a fan of Lana Del Rey then there is nothing here that is going to change your mind, so I wouldn't bother checking it out for those that don't like her music, but if you do like her then this album is pretty solid. Where Ultraviolence had themes of abuse, Honeymoon's songs seem to be more about themes of heartbreak and lost. Lana Del Rey continues the trend of making you want to get high and :emo: and then sob on the floor.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

I said come in! posted:

Listened to Lana Del Rey's new album tonight, Honeymoon. :homebrew: I really liked it. If you aren't already a fan of Lana Del Rey then there is nothing here that is going to change your mind, so I wouldn't bother checking it out for those that don't like her music, but if you do like her then this album is pretty solid. Where Ultraviolence had themes of abuse, Honeymoon's songs seem to be more about themes of heartbreak and lost. Lana Del Rey continues the trend of making you want to get high and :emo: and then sob on the floor.

I loved Born To Die but was pretty meh about Ultraviolence - it sounds like I'm gonna like this one a lot better!

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

I said come in! posted:

:getin:

Are the songs more like Honeymoon/Terrance Loves You or more like High By The Beach/Music To Watch Boys To?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Elucidarius posted:

:getin:

Are the songs more like Honeymoon/Terrance Loves You or more like High By The Beach/Music To Watch Boys To?

I need to listen more but I think most of it is similar to Honeymoon/Terrance Loves you. I like the direction this album went, i'm glad Lana Del Rey is trying new things each time. Born to Die had a lot of hiphop/pop inspiration, Ultraviolence was jazz, and I can't quite put my finger on what Honeymoon is, but i'm really bad at overanalyzing music too, so once more people get a chance to give it a listen then we'll probably see better opinions then what I can give. :kiddo:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Don't know exactly where to post this, but this thread basically works. Disclosure and Sam Smith did a cover of Drake's Hotline Bling that is loving fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDCcC_psV24

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

This kind of feels like Lana's least accessible album yet. It isn't grabbing me the way the first two did but I'm hoping it grows on me. It is like a noir take on the Beach Boys.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

^burtle posted:

noir take on the Beach Boys.

Holy poo poo I'm sold.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

I LOVE "Salvatore" but it seems to be really divisive. This album feels slower than Ultraviolence, but Lana can write a great slow song so that's not a bad thing.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Holy poo poo I'm sold.

My sentiments exactly and then I heard "Salvatore" and was extra sold. The only song I'm indifferent about so far (that I've heard) is "Terrence Loves You".

Elucidarius fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 17, 2015

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Atma McCuddles posted:

I LOVE "Salvatore" but it seems to be really divisive. This album feels slower than Ultraviolence, but Lana can write a great slow song so that's not a bad thing.

Slower is definitely the word for it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I've decided that my least favourite "pop appeal" gimmick (which I mentioned earlier) there's ever been is definitely the one that was used in the 1950s and 1960s, where "pop appeal" was code for "appeal to white people who go to supper clubs" and it meant you stuck a singer in front of a string orchestra and got them to record dull "A Taste of Honey" or "Misty" or whatever.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

Don't know exactly where to post this, but this thread basically works. Disclosure and Sam Smith did a cover of Drake's Hotline Bling that is loving fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDCcC_psV24

this is wonderful

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think I've decided that my least favourite "pop appeal" gimmick (which I mentioned earlier) there's ever been is definitely the one that was used in the 1950s and 1960s, where "pop appeal" was code for "appeal to white people who go to supper clubs" and it meant you stuck a singer in front of a string orchestra and got them to record dull "A Taste of Honey" or "Misty" or whatever.

I agree, those are the worst. Kind of reminds me of today's acoustic guitar covers of rap/pop songs where all the comments are about how "this version makes the song so much more meaningful!!"

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I agree, those are the worst. Kind of reminds me of today's acoustic guitar covers of rap/pop songs where all the comments are about how "this version makes the song so much more meaningful!!"

Ben Folds takes the piss out of these really well by covering songs that sound 10 times more absurd played by a piano man. (Sleazy and Bitches Ain't poo poo)

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Ben Folds takes the piss out of these really well by covering songs that sound 10 times more absurd played by a piano man. (Sleazy and Bitches Ain't poo poo)

Uhh

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

That's exactly what I was talking about, actually.

I don't get if he's trying to satirize acoustic covers or if he's just making fun of those ~wacky~ rappers and women, but either way, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
See also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZNFo5lL4iw

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

You're saying this satirizes the concept, right? Because that video at least seems pretty aware of how stupidly white it is.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Stayne Falls posted:

You're saying this satirizes the concept, right? Because that video at least seems pretty aware of how stupidly white it is.

That's a post-production "fix" (assuming the director's self awareness). It's very unlikely the intent to satirize was built into the recording process.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I like it when artists cover their own song into a more chiller tune, like Kesha did with her Die Young song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa4jGB-8si4

(I just love Kesha. Haters gonna hate.)

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Stalins Moustache posted:

I like it when artists cover their own song into a more chiller tune, like Kesha did with her Die Young song.

I love Kesha too.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Kesha is flawless.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Alice Cooper and Gene Simmons are absolutely right when they say Kesha and Lady Gaga are infinitely better rock stars than most actual rock artists in the past 20 years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Alice Cooper and Gene Simmons are absolutely right when they say Kesha and Lady Gaga are infinitely better rock stars than most actual rock artists in the past 20 years.

Okay, serious question because I really don't know about this stuff. How do we define a rock star? Cause if it's different from just making rock music, then this actually makes perfect sense.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Okay, serious question because I really don't know about this stuff. How do we define a rock star? Cause if it's different from just making rock music, then this actually makes perfect sense.

Nowadays you just have a bombastic, front man personality.

Lady Gaga did play rock for awhile, before the Gaga persona. Now she has more Twitter followers than Dave Grohl.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly have no idea. I guess you need to look at where they're coming from - Alice Cooper and Kiss started in thate late 1960s then got big in the 1970s and the 1980s, so their contemporaries were guys who are now seen as these big, archetypical rock star figures; people like Roger Daltrey, Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury and so on. Maybe even guys like Bono later on. All dynamic, charismatic larger-than-life characters. I believe one comment Cooper made was that he thinks a lot of modern rock musicians look and dress like lumberjacks, sound like they're singing through their noses, and generally come off as being embarrassed to be rock stars, which makes their music sound gutless.

Keep in mind as well that the biggest rock bands in the world in the 2000-2010 decade were Coldplay and Nickelback. I can't remember who it was (might have been one of the guys in the Black Keys) said that the reason rock music has basically disappeared from the pop environment in the past 15 years is that we all decided it was okay for Nickelback to be the biggest band in the world, but they said it.

I reckon there's probably an interesting thinkpiece out there about the whole "death of the rockstar" phenomenon which traces it through the excesses of hair metal and the grunge-led alternative backlash to where we are now, but if there is I've not read it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

If I had to offer a thought (which nobody asked for :v:) I think that the die-off of mainstream rock was triggered by grunge, but the country boom was what sealed the deal. Just based on personal experiences, the people who were listening to hair metal in the 80's have a huge overlap with people who listen to country music now.

Basically, the people who were really into rock specifically, they all got into grunge and today make up the alternative rock scene. The people into pop rock, hair metal, the top 40 stuff, they became primarily country music listeners. You also had the golden age of hip hop going on at the same time, and the rise of britpop in the UK, so in the 90's you've got a bunch of big genres dominating the charts that have little-to-no demographic overlap between them. Which is probably the reason for the massive pop explosion of the late 90's: in such a fragmented era, only the most wide-appeal stuff appealed to everyone. Which then came to a screeching halt around 9/11.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Kanye got a lot of flack for saying he's the biggest rock star today but he really is. Bombastic persona, extravagant performances, trend-setting music, controversial opinions, he's got it all. Goddamn I love Kanye.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DStecks posted:

If I had to offer a thought (which nobody asked for :v:) I think that the die-off of mainstream rock was triggered by grunge, but the country boom was what sealed the deal. Just based on personal experiences, the people who were listening to hair metal in the 80's have a huge overlap with people who listen to country music now.

Basically, the people who were really into rock specifically, they all got into grunge and today make up the alternative rock scene. The people into pop rock, hair metal, the top 40 stuff, they became primarily country music listeners. You also had the golden age of hip hop going on at the same time, and the rise of britpop in the UK, so in the 90's you've got a bunch of big genres dominating the charts that have little-to-no demographic overlap between them. Which is probably the reason for the massive pop explosion of the late 90's: in such a fragmented era, only the most wide-appeal stuff appealed to everyone. Which then came to a screeching halt around 9/11.

Sure. When grunge got big and hip-hop producers began crossing over with new techniques, a lot of the big name session guys and rock producers left Hollywood and went to Nashville because that's where their style of production was still in demand. Biggest country producers of the late 1990s through mid-2000s were Mutt Lange and Dann Huff, who were about as pop rock as you could get (Mutt Lange produced Def Leppard and Bryan Adams, Dann Huff was in a hair metal band called Giant). There was an article on PopMatters about how country is the new classic rock which I remember reading a few years ago: "Pour Some Sugarland On Me". :haw:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
As a massive rock fan, life has been rough. There just aren't many bands as good as Royal Blood today. Yeah, I keep buying the new Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, and RHCP releases, but I want to see new rockstars!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I reckon there's bands who could be big time pop stars or whatever (I feel that the Treatment potentially have the songs), but they just don't get onto playlists and the major labels won't take chances on unknown and unproven quantities. I think what needs to happen is that a band needs to become really big out of nowhere so the labels will be willing to sign and promote other stuff. Like, when the Beatles exploded, the other companies started signing the Rolling Stones and Manfred Mann and Dave Clark Five and everyone left, right and centre, or when Def Leppard had the number one video on MTV, they started putting up the Ratt videos and the Bon Jovi videos, or when Nevermind knocked Michael Jackson off the number-one spot on the album chart, nobody could snap up alternative-sounding bands fast enough.

How reasonable is it to say that Nickelback and Creed (and to an extent bands like Coldplay) killed it in the mainstream by virtue of being really, really dull? :v:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

DStecks posted:

Hair metal is pretty loving dead in countries where literally no one listens to country too.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Stalins Moustache posted:

Angel Haze did this with Battle Cry a few years ago. They have a lot of talent, and their albums have a great mix of different styles of music.

http://youtu.be/obx9n1e7rMc

Original: http://youtu.be/QvvRNPOJPH0 (that's the artist's life story - black/Native American and raised in a cult and sexually abused for years, very open about mental health issues, writes all their own stuff, dated Alec Baldwin's daughter, identifies as agender)

I know this isn't the rap or hip hop thread, but there are some songs that are primarily lyrical, such as "Bruises" from their new album.

the truth fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 20, 2015

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

the truth posted:

Angel Haze did this with Battle Cry a few years ago. They have a lot of talent, and their albums have a great mix of different styles of music.

http://youtu.be/obx9n1e7rMc

Original: http://youtu.be/QvvRNPOJPH0 (that's the artist's life story - black/Native American and raised in a cult and sexually abused for years, very open about mental health issues, writes all their own stuff, dated Alec Baldwin's daughter, identifies as agender)

I know this isn't the rap or hip hop thread, but there are some songs that are primarily lyrical, such as "Bruises" from their new album.

Angel Haze is very very good. Check out her stuff even if you don't like rap.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Really confused how Ryan Adams can just re-do Tay's whole album and still charge for it?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

^burtle posted:

Really confused how Ryan Adams can just re-do Tay's whole album and still charge for it?
Tay seemed thrilled that he was doing it. They probably worked out some kind of deal since he has her permission.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PUGGERNAUT posted:

That's exactly what I was talking about, actually.

I don't get if he's trying to satirize acoustic covers or if he's just making fun of those ~wacky~ rappers and women, but either way, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I mean, knowing Ben Folds, I'm pretty sure it's the former. The idea of some white dude at a piano and taking a song and making it more "meaningful" or whatever is absurd on it's face, so he takes it to the logical extreme: softly, sweetly singing lines like "bitches ain't poo poo but hoes and tricks" or "rat-a-tat-tat on your dumb dumb drum, beats so fat gonna make me come" as if it's the most romantic, heartfelt, deep thought he's ever had.

It helps me to know that he's actually good friends with Kesha in real life. There are some videos on Youtube of her joining him on stage and singing a song that I think her mom wrote. Really nice, twangy country, her voice is great for that.

I cannot wait to see what she does next. Warrior was pretty good with some splashes of great, and knowing the behind-the-scenes look (Dr. Luke being a lovely human being), it makes sense. She really wants to be a genuine, honest to god rock star, hence making tracks with Iggy Pop, Arcade Fire, and half of The Strokes. And she can do it too; Gold Trans-Am is the best hair metal song to have come out in at least the last 20 years, possibly longer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yoshifan823 posted:

And she can do it too; Gold Trans-Am is the best hair metal song to have come out in at least the last 20 years, possibly longer.

Well, what was the last great hair metal song? Must admit, I have a certain amount of childish nostalgia for "I Believe In A Thing Called Love". :shobon:

But, as you say, "Gold Trans-Am" is a fun song. Sort of like "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" (if I had to say who I think Kesha is most like, I'd actually say the Beastie Boys circa Licensed To Ill) crossed with "Pour Some Sugar On Me" and filtered through "We Will Rock You" then dragged through a big pile of glitter.

Must admit, I originally had mixed feelings about Kesha because I really disliked "Tik Tok" when it came out, but I've since warmed up to her.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, what was the last great hair metal song? Must admit, I have a certain amount of childish nostalgia for "I Believe In A Thing Called Love". :shobon:

The Darkness are taking the piss out of glam rock so hard it didn't need to pee for a month.

I really think "hair metal" is being improperly used here. It was a product of the 80s and stayed put. All the leather and machismo. Thankfully.