Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

When I say specialty printers, I don't mean like a printing press or anything. It's just a large label printer, but it has steel rollers and cut-off blade. I agree it should have been shut off, but the jam was literally a one-second job to grab the paper and yank, but this other person couldn't hold off for one second. The type of person where you go to attach a lockout tag, and they've already hosed it up in the three seconds between reaching into your pocket for the tag and attaching it onto the machine.

"Here lies Bloody Hedgehog, to whom locking out machinery and turning a 1 second job into a 20 second job meant more to him than his limbs and ultimately his life."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I wonder how many accidents have been preceded by: "Nah, don't worry about it. It will only take a second".

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Olewithmilk posted:

I wonder how many accidents have been preceded by: "Nah, don't worry about it. It will only take a second".

Slightly less than have been preceded by: "Hold my beer!"

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

at least one person in a video upthread posted:

hey yall watch this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A well‐planned demolition.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bonapartisan posted:

Not 100% if this is an OSHA incident, but this happened at work the other day, and I thought this thread might enjoy it.

Work at a Home Depot, and the lumber loading zone has an overhang. The overhang has the pipe for the sprinkler system housed there. Apparently someone hit it with their truck (not sure if it was with a boom or with a piece of pipe that was sticking up).

Dank rusty water sprayed everywhere, and since the big warehouse style door was open to the inside of the store, it sprayed inside covering the floor and one of the registers (and cashier, normally where I would be!) with grossness. The fire alarms went off, and we had to evacuate the building, because the system is designed to assume that there's a fire when that pipe is dispensing water. Surprisingly (not) people were reluctant to leave their shopping. I didn't get any good pictures, but one of my co workers got a picture of the spray as it was starting to die down a bit. Sorry for the phone quality.

They're discussing putting some sort of safety guard on the pipe now.

What the gently caress. There's an OSHA incident hidden in that story, certainly. At least if your rules are the same as here in Europe.

Pipes for water systems to fight fires are required to be flushed every few months or so, to prevent getting diseases in the stale water, which can cause worse troubles than a small fire, if the water is sprinkled on a lot of people. Your description 'dank rusty water' makes it sounds that this rule wasn't followed at the Home Depot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

Pipes for water systems to fight fires are required to be flushed every few months or so, to prevent getting diseases in the stale water, which can cause worse troubles than a small fire, if the water is sprinkled on a lot of people.

Yeah, this is the OSHA thread. Just because it’s law doesn’t mean people do it.

Emergency showers and eyewash stations are somewhat more likely to be flushed regularly, but you’re still taking your chances with them in many institutions.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Carbon dioxide posted:

What the gently caress. There's an OSHA incident hidden in that story, certainly. At least if your rules are the same as here in Europe.

Pipes for water systems to fight fires are required to be flushed every few months or so, to prevent getting diseases in the stale water, which can cause worse troubles than a small fire, if the water is sprinkled on a lot of people. Your description 'dank rusty water' makes it sounds that this rule wasn't followed at the Home Depot.

I think this changes on a state-by-state or even township/county basis in the US. In my township, the normal water type system gets inspected/tested every year. I've seen them drain it into the street - the NFPA requires it be drained annually. There's usually a system drain near the inlet, so in theory the whole system should drain out of it - but outlying pipes in a building the size of a Home Depot might not be able to be drained like that. And yes - when they drain it - it's nasty and rusty.

Other types of sprinkler systems, and some foam systems, and probably industrial users have to get inspections every quarter.

big dig
Sep 11, 2001

Cowboys > Ninjas

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yea, that's bullshit. By the time a fire grows to a size that sprinkler heads are actuated anyone in the affected area is dead. If it's an accidental discharge it's usually a single head or as pipe and few people will get wet unless they are donkeys who stand in the water and don't know how to run away.

Fire fighters and Sprinkler contractors get covered in sprinkler pipe water daily, and they don't get exotic diseases. Hell, I do water flow testing as part of my insurance inspections and get that poo poo on me to no effect. Getting splashed with sprinkler pipe water is not worse then burning your loving building down in a fire you moron. The water in those pipes is dirty because of products of oxidization and unless your fire water supply is a waste water stream from the local sewer there is no significant hazard to getting it on you, aside from the stank.

Flushing a sprinkler system is so that rust, and other contaminates do not result in obstructions in the sprinkler heads, and is required in intervals of years, rather then months. The average orifice size of a sprinkler head is half an inch and if your fire fighting water supply is dirty or you have a dry system (more prone to corrosion due to presence of oxygen), you have to flush regularly. Flushing a sprinkler system involves removing all the end caps of all the cross mains and sprinkler branch lines and attaching hoses so that the flow of water is directed outside of a building. This is a super labor intensive task and most definitely not done every few months. You shouldn't say poo poo without knowing what you're talking about damnit!

What you're thinking of is water flow alarm testing, it's how you make sure your alarms are sent and received by the alarm panel and monitoring station. And that's done to make sure that if a fire starts and the sprinklers respond, someone is alerted. The standard method of doing this flow test is providing an orifice at the most remote location of the sprinkler system, to simulate 1 head going off, and flowing it until an alarm is received. Minimal water flow through the system is observed, and it certainly doesn't flush gently caress all out aside from the mains involves in the water flow over the few minutes that valve is opened.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
If only they had the hardware and materials and tools and chemicals to maintain their pipes at Home Depot

big dig
Sep 11, 2001

Cowboys > Ninjas

0toShifty posted:

I think this changes on a state-by-state or even township/county basis in the US. In my township, the normal water type system gets inspected/tested every year. I've seen them drain it into the street - the NFPA requires it be drained annually. There's usually a system drain near the inlet, so in theory the whole system should drain out of it - but outlying pipes in a building the size of a Home Depot might not be able to be drained like that. And yes - when they drain it - it's nasty and rusty.

Other types of sprinkler systems, and some foam systems, and probably industrial users have to get inspections every quarter.

The NFPA Main Drain test you're referring to is also called the 2" drain test, and it's actually a measure of the water supply. You flow water through the main drain and note the pressure drop in order to see if there are any changes from the previous year, or abnormally high pressure loss (indicating a shut valve in the system, or water main obstruction) that could result in failure of the sprinkler system under high demand. There is no requirement to drain a fire sprinkler system to prevent exotic diseases from developing.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Please allow me to ask what may be an incredibly stupid question: did he survive?

Incredibly, he's home already. He had two operations with a plastic surgeon and somehow didn't need skin grafts. I haven't talked to him yet, but I guess it either sounds worse than it actually is or modern medicine is amazing.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

big dig posted:

Yea, that's bullshit.

I was pretty much thinking all of this but gently caress if I was going to type it all out on my phone. Thanks.

Everyone here makes it sound like most places fire anyone who bumps a sprinkle pipe. Hell we wouldn't have any employees left.

big dig
Sep 11, 2001

Cowboys > Ninjas

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I was pretty much thinking all of this but gently caress if I was going to type it all out on my phone. Thanks.

Everyone here makes it sound like most places fire anyone who bumps a sprinkle pipe. Hell we wouldn't have any employees left.

I hate the whole 'Sprinkler water is worse than fire' morons I run into in my day to day job, they are almost as bad as the 'polystyrene insulation wont burn' people. Maybe I was a bit mean, but gently caress man. The water in that home depot pipe is likely to be almost exactly the same water that's is in your tap, but just left in a black steel pipe for a few months / years. Rusty stinky water is not full of cholera and just smells / looks disgusting, and probably shouldn't be played in.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

big dig posted:

I hate the whole 'Sprinkler water is worse than fire' morons I run into in my day to day job, they are almost as bad as the 'polystyrene insulation wont burn' people. Maybe I was a bit mean, but gently caress man. The water in that home depot pipe is likely to be almost exactly the same water that's is in your tap, but just left in a black steel pipe for a few months / years. Rusty stinky water is not full of cholera and just smells / looks disgusting, and probably shouldn't be played in.

There is a theoretical risk of sprinkler water harboring Legionella, it's negligible since that requires warm temperatures to grow and aerosolized water to spread

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
gorp.gorpeg

GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
gorp?

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
yeah brother

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

When I say specialty printers, I don't mean like a printing press or anything. It's just a large label printer, but it has steel rollers and cut-off blade. I agree it should have been shut off, but the jam was literally a one-second job to grab the paper and yank, but this other person couldn't hold off for one second. The type of person where you go to attach a lockout tag, and they've already hosed it up in the three seconds between reaching into your pocket for the tag and attaching it onto the machine.

I hate the sons of bitches that can't pay attention. When you say "Don't use this thing until I say it's OK" they say they understand and then immediately do the thing you told them not to do. It's sad that lock out, tag out is necessary but there is always some jackass that will gently caress you up. Lots of people pay no attention to what is said or what they read.

For example (less OSHA, more idiot) we had an image setter when I was in college that had clear instructions printed on the front as well as a sign right above it that stated "In case of a jam, do not pull the paper forward to clear it!" This was a very expensive machine at the time (90's)

I once walked into the room to witness a classmate with his foot on the desk for leverage, pulling with all his might on a jammed piece of paper. He looked like a cartoon character. I showed him the signs and how to clear the jam. I don't think he understood a word I said.

He's probably a CEO now.

big dig
Sep 11, 2001

Cowboys > Ninjas

Slanderer posted:

There is a theoretical risk of sprinkler water harboring Legionella, it's negligible since that requires warm temperatures to grow and aerosolized water to spread

While that is true, Legionella is a function of a contaminate water supply and would be significantly greater from an exposure perspective from stuff like hot water tank fed showers, forced air counter current cooling towers (where the mist will basically fall all over the facility it's located on) and other potable sources. I have never seen a case directly linked to a sprinkler system. I will concede that it is a possibility, but I still stand by my claim that it's not worse to be covered by sprinkler water then not having one with respect to a fire.

The Hman
Jan 6, 2015

This is me but i just fall into the wall and let my fat rear end do the work

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Retarded Pimp posted:

Incredibly, he's home already. He had two operations with a plastic surgeon and somehow didn't need skin grafts. I haven't talked to him yet, but I guess it either sounds worse than it actually is or modern medicine is amazing.

What you described sounds like a sweeper head with blades instead of brushes

And being raked over one is classic Mortal Kombat

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mostlygray posted:

It's sad that lock out, tag out is necessary but there is always some jackass that will gently caress you up.

Always remember that you are betting your body parts on your coworkers not being gently caress-ups.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

big dig posted:

While that is true, Legionella is a function of a contaminate water supply and would be significantly greater from an exposure perspective from stuff like hot water tank fed showers, forced air counter current cooling towers (where the mist will basically fall all over the facility it's located on) and other potable sources. I have never seen a case directly linked to a sprinkler system. I will concede that it is a possibility, but I still stand by my claim that it's not worse to be covered by sprinkler water then not having one with respect to a fire.

Looks like they are all the way at the bottom of OSHA's list of common legionella sources.

https://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/otm_iii/otm_iii_7.html

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Delta Echo posted:

What you described sounds like a sweeper head with blades instead of brushes

And being raked over one is classic Mortal Kombat

More like one of these.
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/293200478/textile_machinery_parts_roller_for_the_carding.jpg

Covered with these.
http://3.imimg.com/data3/SL/HV/MY-969151/carding-wires-500x500.jpg

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

The alibaba watermark adds to the gore because if you die on-site in China, you get flushed into the river with the leaded wastewater.

You don't even have to be dead, just somewhat injured.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

big dig posted:

I hate the whole 'Sprinkler water is worse than fire' morons I run into in my day to day job,

Maybe they once heard somewhere that water damage is worse than fire damage, and somehow that fact got twisted into "sprinkler water is worse than fire"?

The first can be true (depending on how much of each type of damage and where), the second I hadn't heard of til this thread.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I feel like the guy getting out of the cab is a mistake.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

CampingCarl posted:

I think the mistake began when he got in the cab.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Delta Echo posted:

The alibaba watermark

Had to use what was available, there aren't too many good pics out there of carding rollers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CampingCarl posted:

I don't think so. Those machines aren't necessarily so indestructible that a building can fall on them and you'll be okay. You can even see that the vehicle gets lifted off its treads by the impact shortly before it gets engulfed in the dust cloud. Best thing to do when a building is proceeding to collapse is to not be where it's going to fall.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I didn't think that the cab is definitely strong enough to hold with building that size but if a building is going to fall on you I can't see how being next to the vehicle is in anyway a better place to be than inside it. If anything the guy moved into the path of the building.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Maybe they once heard somewhere that water damage is worse than fire damage, and somehow that fact got twisted into "sprinkler water is worse than fire"?

The first can be true (depending on how much of each type of damage and where), the second I hadn't heard of til this thread.

First of all, of course a fire is worse than a dirty sprinkler. But with a bit of work you can keep the sprinkler system clean as well, decreasing the Legionella chance. Fire prevention doesn't somehow exclude clean water or v.v.

Secondly, where I got this was chem lab safety training and knowledge of fire inspections. For the chem lab stuff, those pipes are mostly used for emergency showers and eye wash showers, both used to get chemical spills off people. In both cases, you want to run water through them for a few seconds before applying them, and in both cases they need to be flushed every so often to prevent Legionella. In such a case a legionella infection might be worse than a mild chemical spill. And I do know that many 'labs', such as high school chem classrooms, don't take proper care of those tubes.

Considering the fire inspections, every year folks from the fire extinguisher company come over, check the pressure on foam extinguishers and flush any permanent fire hoses, the latter is required by Dutch/European law as a way to get rid of Legionella. There's even specific warnings on those fire hose coils to say that the water is not suitable for any other uses than extinguishing fires.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

did he die?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnZDuk_HX-Q

I don't think he lived

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You must be incredibly stupid to have read this thread and still have this attitude toward your work.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Carbon dioxide posted:

First of all, of course a fire is worse than a dirty sprinkler.

I'm talking about how [url=Sprinkler Water damage worse than fire after reviewing high-rise "minor" fire incident. http://downtownmtauburn.fox19.com/news/news/85591-firefighters-tackle-water-after-sprinkler-puts-out-fire]water damage[/url], depending on the circumstances, can sometimes be worse than the fire damage. I said nothing about rust.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

I like how he's all "wtf... poo poo on my shoe?! what else will go wrong today?!?!?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:stare:

how is he not covered in his own blood after that

• Locked thread