Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Excalibur and the zeta shield are the best looking zetas imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I really thought DRK would end up like DKs in wow as the loltank with terrible players but honestly that's become PLD by a longshot.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
PLD has always been that though.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
I'm like cecil I'm player one.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Whizbang posted:

Everyone has always been that though.

Fixed. Terrible players are terrible no matter what they play.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 20, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Got kicked out and now I cant get back in :sigh:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Holyshoot posted:

Excalibur and the zeta shield are the best looking zetas imo.

I respectfully disagree and say they come in second behind Longinus. It's a loving anti-dragon drill.

I wish I wasn't so lazy that I could actually get my relic that far :v:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

EponymousMrYar posted:

Fixed. Terrible players are terrible no matter what they play.

No, PLD has always been the worst tank class.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Whizbang posted:

PLD has always been that though.

Not really, like there were a lot of PLDs who were good, too, but anyone who's good has pretty much given up PLD in favor of WAR and/or DRK for now so pretty much everyone playing PLD now is a total dipshit and is just godawful at the game.

Turns out people attracted to the edgelord asthetic aren't as bad of players as people attracted to the I AM KNIGHT PROTECTOR COOLPERSON MCWORSHIPME asthetic.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm attracted to the Paladin aesthetic, but I'm also equally attracted to the "do more than 2.333~ maximum PPS in AoE damage" aesthetic.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I play PLD. :smith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Iron Tusk posted:

I'd take turbulent juice in this game.

A hundred years Louisoix and Alphinaud adventures dot com

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

It's not that Paladin is bad outside of Savage, I'd say it's more that Flash does no damage which makes it lame compared to Overpower and Unleash. When you tank as MRD/WAR/DRK you're cleaving your way to victory in non-raid circumstances rather than making fizzle pop sounds.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Vermain posted:

I'm attracted to the Paladin aesthetic, but I'm also equally attracted to the "do more than 2.333~ maximum PPS in AoE damage" aesthetic.

Pretty much. Even if Paladin is sufficient for basically all content, it is tremendously unfun to play if you've ever Fell Cleaved.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also PLD does not have worse cooldowns. WAR has some better CD's with built-in drawbacks (Inner beast is on the GCD, Berserk pacifies though that can be esuna'd, Raw Intuition has the 'crit when hit from anywhere non-in-front of you') while PLD has a bunch of powerful but gimmicky abilities that don't see as much use.

This is just not true, though. Rampart is great, and Hallowed is certainly a thing, but for the most part, Warrior cooldowns are either similar to or way better than their PLD equivalents.

• Inner Beast is way more powerful than Sheltron, even with the dps loss - they're not even in the same league.
  • Vengeance is weaker than Sentinel, but it has a minute shorter cooldown & a reflect effect that outdamages Paladin AoE by itself.
  • Raw Intuition is like Bulwark, except it doesn't suck and it has almost triple the uptime. You should never be hit from behind while tanking a single target, and Awareness almost completely removes its downside when moving.
  • Holmgang has a way shorter cooldown than Hallowed, allowing you to get more uses out of it. Combined with Equilibrium, you can use it as a proper cooldown against a surprising number of things.
  • Equilibrium is what people think of when they think of Clemency being good.
  • Thrill of Battle is worse than Rampart, admittedly, but it's still fine as a light cooldown. It also goes past the number of class-specific cooldowns Paladin has.
  • Bloodbath is an actual AoE tanking cooldown for Warrior, too, thanks to Overpower.

Berserk is also way better than Fight or Flight in the real world, thanks to burn phases being designed around Raging Strikes.

Niton fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 20, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

nuru posted:

It's not that Paladin is bad outside of Savage, I'd say it's more that Flash does no damage which makes it lame compared to Overpower and Unleash. When you tank as MRD/WAR/DRK you're cleaving your way to victory in non-raid circumstances rather than making fizzle pop sounds.

Playing PLD after playing WAR/DRK is really discordant, WAR is a wrecking machine, DRK chews up souls and spits them out, PLD is like.... woah flash does blind I guess :confused:

I only play WAR in Savage so yeah, this isn't even raiding balance poo poo, doing a dungeon with a tank that does a ton of damage, good dps, and a healer that actually dpses is great. I've gotten DPS who know what they're doing and a healer that bound their dps buttons in EXDR and it's incredibly fun both melting the entire dungeon and also being done with it in like 15 minutes or less. A good paladin played optimally does just really, really lovely DPS right now compared to the other tanks. About the only thing they have going for them right now is Hallowed Ground, outside of that... D:

edit:

Niton posted:

[*]Bloodbath is an actual AoE tanking cooldown for Warrior, too, thanks to Overpower.[/list]

It really is weird how Bloodbath went from a thing I kind of forgot existed half the time to a god-tier cooldown to pair with Berserk-fueled overpower frenzies. Seriously after I get warmed up I don't even really need to be healed after popping it on large packs.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 20, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

To me, the funniest thing about paladins is that Flash's enmity isn't increased by Fight or Flight (because it's magic "damage", and FoF only increases physical damage) but it IS increased by Maim (because Maim increases ALL damage) and Berserk (because it scales off attack power). It would also be increased by Darkside if there was ever a reason for Dark Knights to use it.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 20, 2015

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
People who say PLD is a more tanky tank in dungeons have not seen what a dark knight is like when they pull everything with DA+Dark Dance and DA+dark passenger. All that dumb evasion poo poo actually adds up when you are taking 15 auto attacks a tick. It's not unlike how absurdly you can buff bloodbath on war and effectively self-heal.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I think a lot of the "drk are dumb squishy tanks" comes from people who have only seen bad drk, of which there seem to be a lot, especially in sub 50 dungeons.

That said I also once had a drk pull every single mob group in neverreap seperately. The first little area was 3 pulls.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

A hundred years Louisoix and Alphinaud adventures dot com

I'm pretty sure Matoya is exactly Rick already.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Niton posted:

• Inner Beast is way more powerful than Sheltron, even with the dps loss - they're not even in the same league.
  • Vengeance is weaker than Sentinel, but it has a minute shorter cooldown & a reflect effect that outdamages Paladin AoE by itself.
  • Raw Intuition is like Bulwark, except it doesn't suck and it has almost triple the uptime. You should never be hit from behind while tanking a single target, and Awareness almost completely removes its downside when moving.
  • Holmgang has a way shorter cooldown than Hallowed, allowing you to get more uses out of it. Combined with Equilibrium, you can use it as a proper cooldown against a surprising number of things.
  • Equilibrium is what people think of when they think of Clemency being good.
  • Thrill of Battle is worse than Rampart, admittedly, but it's still fine as a light cooldown. It also goes past the number of class-specific cooldowns Paladin has.
  • Bloodbath is an actual AoE tanking cooldown for Warrior, too, thanks to Overpower.

Berserk is also way better than Fight or Flight in the real world, thanks to burn phases being designed around Raging Strikes.
  • Inner Beast isn't a Sheltron equivalent, it's a Rampart one, having equivalent effect and uptime (~5 seconds per 20 seconds 'cooldown' (8 GCD's to generate wrath) vs. ramparts 20 seconds vs 90 seconds cd.) Of course it's massively better than Sheltron because pretty much everything is and there's really no equivalent to Sheltron in the WAR's toolkit (you could bundle it with Bulwark in the Bulwark vs. Raw Intuition example but that's a stretch.)
  • That's all true for Vengeance, except when taking magic damage (when the WAR can just overpower for AoE dps anyway.)
  • Bulwark has an upside where Raw Intuition doesn't: Shield Swipe usage (TP conservation mainly). Also tying Raw Intuition to Awareness decreases its uptime by quite a bit but is valid for where you need it. Of course, PLD doesn't have to worry about that in the first place. They're functionally equivalent, I can't think of a situation where I'd rather have one than the other.
  • PLD has a better Holmgang in two CD's, Hallowed Ground and Inner Will. While it's true that Holmgang has way more uptime than Hallowed, Inner Will actually surpasses that (Holmgang: 6 sec duration, 120 cd, Inner Will: 10 sec duration, 120 cd,) so a PLD can ignore forced movement mechanics just as much as a WAR and isn't tied to a particular spot while doing so.
  • True, Clemency does need some work, the cast time makes it hard to use for clutch heals on other people which is where it'd really shine.
  • Thrill of Battle is essentially a self-heal.
  • True, it's pretty much trickle healing for PLD though it does share a CD with ForF so I do use it even if it's way better in a WAR's hands with Overpower.

Not only that, but WAR's have their triple Fell Cleave rotation they can do while Berserked which makes them extremely bursty. ForF's increased uptime doesn't really have any way to match that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fishious posted:

People who say PLD is a more tanky tank in dungeons have not seen what a dark knight is like when they pull everything with DA+Dark Dance and DA+dark passenger. All that dumb evasion poo poo actually adds up when you are taking 15 auto attacks a tick. It's not unlike how absurdly you can buff bloodbath on war and effectively self-heal.

Healers find DR tanks "tankier" than Avoidance tanks because the incoming damage is predictable and they can plan their heals around it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

• Bulwark has an upside where Raw Intuition doesn't: Shield Swipe usage (TP conservation mainly).

That's... not really an upside, because Warriors do not have TP management problems. The upside is literally "you get to do less DPS than the class with an equivalent skill so that you don't completely run out of TP instantly, which the other class does not" - that's not an upside.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Nothing. I don't think they plan on it, since they've said that paladins taking less damage and doing less damage is intended design. The problem is that current encounter designs make that a terrible tradeoff.

Except that paladins don't actually take less damage than the other tanks, and instead just do less damage.

I mean, at this point the only job that hasn't cleared A4S is a paladin, and most statics that are getting to that point are having their paladin tanks switch over to DRK.

If they don't plan on changing anything, it's because they haven't quite figured out there's a problem yet. Kind of like dragoons and Final Coil.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Willias posted:

I mean, at this point the only job that hasn't cleared A4S is a paladin,

Not true, actually.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Not true, actually.

oh?

Edit: A link would be great. I've seen every other job in a victory screenshot except for PLD.

Edit2: Had to really do some digging to find one, but yup, there is a paladin that's cleared A4S.

welp

Willias fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 20, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I did high level roulette as a paladin just to see what I could eek out of it and got this

Maybe it's a sign?? Of what I have no idea.

While it took me a tick to warm up, it's still like, it's just frustrating to play. I feel like I'm playing WAR or DRK with the best third of my toolkit missing.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Willias posted:

oh?

Edit: A link would be great. I've seen every other job in a victory screenshot except for PLD.

Edit2: Had to really do some digging to find one, but yup, there is a paladin that's cleared A4S.

welp

That's not proof! Maybe she cleared as Miner!

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Multiple paladins have cleared at this point. It's really a non-point though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I did a run of Haukke Manor today and both I and the Tank got our 500 Commendation achievements. I think we commended each other too, since I definitely gave mine to him and I got one, but it could have been either DPS too. Either way it was hella neat, and now I finally have my Golden Magitek!

Welcome to my pile of mounts, Golden Magitek- I will probably Mount Roulette again if I get you most of the time.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Vermain posted:

Yeah pretty much this.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

I did high level roulette as a paladin just to see what I could eek out of it and got this

Maybe it's a sign?? Of what I have no idea.

While it took me a tick to warm up, it's still like, it's just frustrating to play. I feel like I'm playing WAR or DRK with the best third of my toolkit missing.

That says "Lifer ONE", as in there's more ranks.

:stare:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

FrancoFish posted:

That says "Lifer ONE", as in there's more ranks.

:stare:

Lifer III is 10k.

Get grinding.

i'd almost have lifer II if pvp counted

Niton fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 20, 2015

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
So I just started doing hunts. I was wondering, is there a log of accepted marks? Or do I just have to remember the marks I've accepted from the board?

Griz
May 21, 2001

you can view your accepted hunt bills in the key items tab, but there's no way to see all of them at once.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I generally put them on a hot bar and then cycle through each bill to show the mobs of a particular area and then move on to the next.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Griz posted:

you can view your accepted hunt bills in the key items tab, but there's no way to see all of them at once.

You can also toss them on to your hotbars if you have the space somewhere.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Really useful tool if you're doing the daily hunts:

http://www.ffxivhuntspath.co.uk/

only thing it needs is the ability to just type the names of the mobs in instead of scrolling down a list.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also i use http://www.ffxivhuntspath.co.uk

Its great for a quick list of your mobs in each zone plus if you don't know where they are it's got that too. It's paths aren't the fastest for me all the time but you'll figure out what works best for you.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm trying to change my security question because I have no idea what I used when I made the account, if I even made one to begin with. I can't change it online because it wants me to input my old one. I submitted a help ticket and they responded back basically saying to go do it online. Do I just keep submitting tickets and hope for someone who's not a complete idiot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Collective Minds Chatboost Chat Pad with Battery Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QU93WW8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_GSV.vbMX274K7

I just got this and it's rad as gently caress highly recommend A+ :c00l:

• Locked thread