Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
My pre season begins next week with a vigorous early morning meeting with a physio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Pictured: SS Commandant Luke Hodge celebrates the Nazi Party's glory at the Nuremberg Rallies (1936)

hiddenmovement posted:

My pre season begins next week with a vigorous early morning meeting with a physio

Whats wrong with you that a 6 pack at the end of season BBQ couldnt fix?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:eyepop:

GDT for the grand final should be posted asap on the day so the yanks can make plans and tune in.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Let's all read Robert Walls' opinions about coaching! (He even sticks in a dig at the old west coast side!)

Good person, ordinary coach: John Worsfold.

I think Worsfold would be better in a director of coaching role rather than senior coach, I'd be pretty happy if him and Ratten/Dew/Burns were enticed to Essendon.

Speaking of bad coaches, I heard Chris Connoly on the ABC as I drove back from Barwon and I now understand why he didn't do to well at Freo. The guys an inarticulate idiot, his analysis was crap and I don't think he made a single good point in the entire time he was on air.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

gay picnic defence posted:

drove back from Barwon

On weekend detention mate?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Speaking of bad coaches, I heard Chris Connoly on the ABC as I drove back from Barwon and I now understand why he didn't do to well at Freo. The guys an inarticulate idiot, his analysis was crap and I don't think he made a single good point in the entire time he was on air.

He was good at selling Freo to a very WCE saturated Perth media, but wasn't good at too much else. Its no wonder the players responded so well to Lyon taking over after Connolly/Harvey, Connolly was a bumbling fool and Harvey would look at near tears when asked questions at press conferences.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

I think Worsfold would be better in a director of coaching role rather than senior coach, I'd be pretty happy if him and Ratten/Dew/Burns were enticed to Essendon.

They get him on to commentate loving Melbourne games all the time, as if we didn't have to suffer through enough when he was at the club.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Wow, the Perth prelim ticket prices are double the elimination finals prices.

http://media.ticketmaster.com/en-au/img/static/pdf/AFLFinals2015_Week3.pdf

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

It loving sucks that the racists won

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

bigis posted:

Wow, the Perth prelim ticket prices are double the elimination finals prices.

http://media.ticketmaster.com/en-au/img/static/pdf/AFLFinals2015_Week3.pdf

I remember the visitors tickets in to the MCC last year for a Prelim final were about that price, elimination final tickets on Friday night were $77.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Testekill posted:

I feel awful for Goodes. After a near 400 game career, 2 brownlows, 2 premierships - he can't even do a lap of honour on Grand Final day for fear of being booed relentlessly for the colour of his loving skin.

On Saturday night I watched the game with a few mates and after we had finished talking about how awful Hodge is, Goodes did that kick thing at the Norf player and someone said "see that's why he is constantly booed, not because of race!" So I asked "we were just speaking about how Hodge is the worst player in the game, which you'd willingly admit is a much dirtier player than Goodes - so why isn't he booed relentlessly every time he touches the ball, even in games where he is gathering his first possession like Goodes does?" Her argument completely falls apart at that because there is no logical answer as to why Goodes should be getting booed more than Hodge other than bringing race into the equation. It's an old story and we all know it, but it just sucks for Goodes that he can't get the same send off as everyone else.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

thepokey posted:

I feel awful for Goodes.

It's so loving depressing. He should be going out a universally admired legend of the game. It's tragic.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Testekill posted:

Welcome to post-invasion Australian history

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

The thing is, isn't he LESS likely to be booed at the GF because the great unwashed are locked out in favour of the business elite?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

pkid posted:

The thing is, isn't he LESS likely to be booed at the GF because the great unwashed are locked out in favour of the business elite?

Aren't they the people who all vote liberal and thus their views on race are all really progressive and, wait no, they'd boo the living poo poo out of him

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

thepokey posted:

I feel awful for Goodes. After a near 400 game career, 2 brownlows, 2 premierships - he can't even do a lap of honour on Grand Final day for fear of being booed relentlessly for the colour of his loving skin.

On Saturday night I watched the game with a few mates and after we had finished talking about how awful Hodge is, Goodes did that kick thing at the Norf player and someone said "see that's why he is constantly booed, not because of race!" So I asked "we were just speaking about how Hodge is the worst player in the game, which you'd willingly admit is a much dirtier player than Goodes - so why isn't he booed relentlessly every time he touches the ball, even in games where he is gathering his first possession like Goodes does?" Her argument completely falls apart at that because there is no logical answer as to why Goodes should be getting booed more than Hodge other than bringing race into the equation. It's an old story and we all know it, but it just sucks for Goodes that he can't get the same send off as everyone else.

i finally got into an argument with my old man about it the other week after the saints eagles game. i was laughing at how when riewoldt got his first touch the saints supporters all cheered 'rooooo' and then a few eagles fans were like wait is riewoldt being booed are we booing riewoldt now?? and then the crowd ended up booing riewoldt for the rest of the match. my dad was like ha see theres nothing racist about that! i bit the bullet and said fine you want to talk about goodes lets go through it, so then we went through his like of justifications, eagles have black players too that dont get booed, goodes is a sook, sam newman hit the nail on the head, so on so on.

he dropped each argument after i objected to each point and shut up about it past that, although probably because he didnt want to get into a shouting matching in the middle of the pub. my dad's pretty set in his ways and if hes going to change his mind it usually takes a few weeks rather than one instance. he seemed to back off a little when i mentioned that if 40,000 people are heckling 1 person, those 40,000 do not get to be the ones who feel victimised. fingers crossed he can look at things differently anyway.

ive also been avoiding talking to my brother about footy at all, i already heard my 10 year old nephew spouting my brothers inferiority complex opinions about it and quietly told him that he doesnt need to agree with everything his dad tells him and some things are a little more complex than he thinks. i personally disagree with his dad and a lot of other people do too.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

thepokey posted:

Aren't they the people who all vote liberal and thus their views on race are all really progressive and, wait no, they'd boo the living poo poo out of him

While this is true, would you boo if you'd been invited to attend by a client or boss or whatever?
I'm not saying no one would boo, I'm saying it'd be a smaller section of people.

Also, what I'd like to see is Goodes rolled out with security standing at the top of every aisle and if someone boos, they get the boot from the GF.
What's that, you paid $3K for the ticket plus flights and accom? gently caress off out of here.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

pkid posted:

While this is true, would you boo if you'd been invited to attend by a client or boss or whatever?
I'm not saying no one would boo, I'm saying it'd be a smaller section of people.

Also, what I'd like to see is Goodes rolled out with security standing at the top of every aisle and if someone boos, they get the boot from the GF.
What's that, you paid $3K for the ticket plus flights and accom? gently caress off out of here.

This except snipers on top of the stands.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

pkid posted:

Maybe, unless you're the guest of someone who actively encourages a bit of booing as a team building exercise or something. Maybe it wouldn't be quite as loud or whatnot, but it what it lacks in boisterousness it makes up for in being an awful representation on our biggest stage of all.

But I do like that idea.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

pkid posted:

Counterpoint: likely all West Australian GF means West coast AND Freo supporters in the same ground.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
If you tell a footy fan not to do something, a significant minority will do it anyway because gently caress you dad

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Caro thinks Dangerfield is a done deal:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/adelaide-knew-before-finals-that-patrick-dangerfield-was-leaving-20150921-gjrefo.html

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:negative:

I don't understand how our best player, likely B&F winner and Brownlow contender, as his powers peak, and as the team looks like it could push on to a premiership in two years, would just up and leave.

And even worse, up and leave for a team on the slide in Geelong. I just don't understand.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 21, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Maybe he doesn't want to live in Adelaide

Which you can't really blame him for

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

:negative:

I don't understand how our best player, likely B&F winner and Brownlow contender, as his powers peak, and as the team looks like it could push on to a premiership in two years, would just up and leave.

And even worse, up and leave for a team on the slide in Geelong. I just don't understand.

Maybe he actually is legit with wanting to live near home unlike others

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Also he would go a fair way to arresting any slide at Geelong

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

So that makes the initial complaints when we drafted him eventually true, as soon as it was convenient for him, and it wasn't for us, he hosed off back to Victoria.

If someone that well looked after, who is that good of a player, in a team on the up, in a good environment, just leaves at a critical juncture for that reason, then why the gently caress would we ever draft anyone from outside SA again? I loving hate this go home bullshit, it is the worst non-reason for changing clubs.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

I also feel that having your Coach murdered through the season would maybe put some things into perspective like, 'Why should I play here if I don't really want too and prefer to live and play near my friends & family, life is short.'

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

This whole loving system is just designed to consistently screw us out of players, every loving year. I hope we match the offer so that Geelong have to pay the two first round picks and a player he's worth, and not a single poxy loving pick 14 we'd get in FA compensation

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

So that makes the initial complaints when we drafted him eventually true, as soon as it was convenient for him, and it wasn't for us, he hosed off back to Victoria.

If someone that well looked after, who is that good of a player, in a team on the up, in a good environment, just leaves at a critical juncture for that reason, then why the gently caress would we ever draft anyone from outside SA again? I loving hate this go home bullshit, it is the worst non-reason for changing clubs.

Alternatively it meant you hosed up by not trading him last year at which point you could have gotten compensation on your terms for him.

Also it's not like he Tom Boyd'ed you, you. You got eight years and 150 games out of him and he gave his all right up to the final siren of his last game in a crows jumper

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

I don't really know anything but from all reports Boak was close to returning to Geelong but stayed at Port. What I'm saying is just promise Dangerfield Captaincy and more pub ownership to stay in Adelaide!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

This whole loving system is just designed to consistently screw us out of players, every loving year.

:tinfoil:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

You got eight years and 150 games out of him and he gave his all right up to the final siren of his last game in a crows jumper

Totally loving meaningless if he jumps ship at the peak of his powers when we're on the cusp of being a flag contender.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

i remember a few years ago port's recruiter was lamenting the fact that it was hard to attract players because nobody wanted to live in adelaide

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

snaeksikn posted:

i remember a few years ago port's recruiter was lamenting the fact that it was hard to attract players because nobody wanted to live in adelaide

Which led to Adelaide and Port questioning why they don't get a player retention allowance, when Sydney had an allowance despite every fucker in the league declaring they were moving to Sydney for the lifestyle, shortly before phoning the Swans and asking if they had a spot on the list for them.

Aside from which, there's nothing wrong with living in Adelaide. If you already have a job, and a high paying one at that, Adelaide is a fine place to live, it just has slightly less to do on your day off than Melbourne. Adelaide is only poo poo to live if you're unemployed or on the bottom rung of the wage slave treadmill, because on that treadmill te steps don't go around, the bottom one just falls off every couple of years and adds to the unemployed pile. It's just a played up stereotype in the AFL.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 21, 2015

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Adelaide if Paris compared to Geelong

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

Aside from which, there's nothing wrong with living in Adelaide. If you already have a job, and a high paying one at that, Adelaide is a fine place to live, it just has slightly less to do on your day off than Melbourne. Adelaide is only poo poo to live if you're unemployed or on the bottom rung of the wage slave treadmill, because on that treadmill te steps don't go around, the bottom one just falls off every couple of years and adds to the unemployed pile. It's just a played up stereotype in the AFL.

if there's nothing wrong with living in adelaide why do your players keep leaving?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

if there's nothing wrong with living in adelaide why do your players keep leaving?

Because the AFL equalisation policy equalises all the money into a couple Melbourne clubs, Sydney and GWS. The salary not of the salary cap.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Perth isn't exactly a centre of excitement, but the only big losses out of WA to return home have been Judd, Croad and Tarrant off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Spedman posted:

Perth isn't exactly a centre of excitement, but the only big losses out of WA to return home have been Judd, Croad and Tarrant off the top of my head.

the WA clubs definitely have better luck with players coming back home rather than leaving

• Locked thread