Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Big boss never 'lost' his eye, it was just flash cooked by Ocelot's muzzle blast. He wears an eyepatch because it looks really hosed up and it's useless.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Maybe they gave him a fake eye or something. Then again he also grows a full beard + moustache in the hour between Venom waking up and BB doing a sick wheelie into the sunset on his motorcycle. That's pretty funny though, they literally could have just flipped the face and it would have been right. Probably a mo-cap oversight.

I don't think this much stuff would be wrong unless it was on purpose, as though nobody on the dev team noticed that there's a huge discrepancy between the Ishmael model and the BB model that shows up hours later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Big boss never 'lost' his eye, it was just flash cooked by Ocelot's muzzle blast. He wears an eyepatch because it looks really hosed up and it's useless.

I don't think this much stuff would be wrong unless it was on purpose, as though nobody on the dev team noticed that there's a huge discrepancy between the Ishmael model and the BB model that shows up hours later.

I dunno. It's not completely unthinkable - this is the same series where Big Boss has been aiming down the sights with an eyepatch for 5 games now.

It's pretty clear that there's no more story stuff coming down the pipeline, so I'm not sure what possible purpose another fakeout like that could serve. The only other explanation that even makes sense is that it's a Fight Club situation where he just completely imagined him and it was actually Venom doing all the stuff he sees Ishmael doing, but that doesn't really serve any narrative purpose given the nature of the twist ending.

Who knows. It could be an oversight, or it could be leftovers from an idea that got scrapped at some point, or it could just be a hallucination fakeout for the hell of it, I guess.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012
So I'm noticing that my Snake smiles whenever I slit a guy's throat. Is that a 'demon' thing or does he always do that? It's creepy.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Dammit, I just found out that the MG1 fan remake that a group of fans was making was COD'd by Konami last year. Originally Konami was cool with it, but something changed on their end and they called off their cooperation. :smith: I just don't understand that company.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Maybe Ishmael and Big Boss having entirely different poo poo (no beard or facial hair, eye that seems to sorta work even though Big Boss still had that hosed up non-working eye) was them originally having some other twist/storyline stuff. That'd explain them gutting Sutherland's dialogue to work in the "YOU'RE PART OF THE BIG BOSS LEGACY, YOU THE PLAYER" twist.

Also while speaking of Ishmael Big Boss, I wish we played as him for the Truth version of the hospital. It'd have made it more eventful than "here's the tutorial but with an altered beginning and replacement end but the whole middle is the same".

Also, does the hosed up corpse face they used for Big Boss's post MG2 poo poo in the final MGSV trailer get used anywhere at all? It seems weird that they made it for just one trailer for a good 5 seconds.

Shitty Wizard fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 20, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Nope, melty-faced BB doesn't show up anywhere in the game. Unless there's some super-secret Demon-er Snake that nobody has unlocked yet.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
They showed pretty uniquely-modelled versions of Big Boss through the years in that trailer that never show up in the game, and since there's a near-zero percent chance any story content's been relegated to DLC, I'd guess those will be fun extra outfits we'll probably need to pay gratuitous amounts of money to use or are MGO exclusive or both because Konami.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

The Grimace posted:

Dammit, I just found out that the MG1 fan remake that a group of fans was making was COD'd by Konami last year. Originally Konami was cool with it, but something changed on their end and they called off their cooperation. :smith: I just don't understand that company.

:siren: MG1 remake confirmed :siren:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Here are the explanations you are looking for:

1. His eye ball was essentially ruptured by Ocelot's gun flash and there's no reason to keep a dead and non-functional organ in your eyesocket but there's probably health benefits, or at least prevention of health problems, in having it taken out. The fact that Venom's eye is just milky is among the first signs that he's not Big Boss. His eye lids would still work and his face wasn't burned, so using a glass eye isn't exactly farfetched if it comes to him wanting to disguise himself.

2. Big Boss is extremely manly, he's manlier than this entire forum combined and multiplied. The sheer testosterone coursing his veins would easily allow him to grow a full beard in an hour or two. He actually shaved most of his hair off too to make sure it didn't poke out of his bandages weirdly and look dumb. The sheer testosterone also allowed him to regrow the manliest haircut, the mullet, quickly.

3. Big Boss is superb at shooting people and doesn't really even need to aim. He holds his gun comfortably how he's accustomed to because he knows the bullets will go exactly where he needs them to go.

Seriously though, the you can see his right eye thing is intended and is a prosthetic. He'd already had his "phantom pain" since MGS3 and we can do the exact same thing to Diamond Dog.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Moartoast posted:

They showed pretty uniquely-modelled versions of Big Boss through the years in that trailer that never show up in the game, and since there's a near-zero percent chance any story content's been relegated to DLC, I'd guess those will be fun extra outfits we'll probably need to pay gratuitous amounts of money to use or are MGO exclusive or both because Konami.

The Sneaking Suit and tiger stripe camo from the trailer are both part of the incoming costume DLC, yeah (along with the Tuxedo, Boss and Eva costumes for female soldiers, and apparently some more side ops?)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Oh for fucks sake, we get to extract another few identical prisoners and eliminate a few more tank units, all while dressed in a tux, for the low low price of 9.99. Who the gently caress thought this is what we wanted?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Did you think they were actually going to create new story content or do anything besides pump as much money as possible out of this game's carcass before they stop making console games forever?

People found all the costumes in the game files a while back, so I guess it wasn't even new content, but rather stuff that they cut out and are now selling? I know poo poo-all about data mining so maybe that's just par for the course or maybe they were just traces of ideas for costumes that they are just now getting around to modeling.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh for fucks sake, we get to extract another few identical prisoners and eliminate a few more tank units, all while dressed in a tux, for the low low price of 9.99. Who the gently caress thought this is what we wanted?

It's a phantom pain for the DLC you really want

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

ThomasPaine posted:

Konami profoundly does not care what any player wants

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
as a true believer that big boss will return once he has finished secretly making The Patch, I gotta say that you're really doing a bang-up job with your rusery so far konami
dont listen to these jerks

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Oh, hey. I've been following the MSX tape stuff but I wasn't aware of this part of the MG2 ending (3730 seconds in):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTSD26CZEJo&t=3730s

the msx nerds... have they tried it... backwards??

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The fact that they won't make more story dlc when people would gladly pay for it is kind of funny

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Konami would sooner make a Mother Base futbol team for Pro Evolution Soccer.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Erata posted:

That would actually be pretty awesome

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

ZenVulgarity posted:

The fact that they won't make more story dlc when people would gladly pay for it is kind of funny

The fact that people ask for lovely, badly thrown together story is kind of funnier.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It bugged me why Cipher would storm a hospital with what's basically an army just to kill one dude in a coma, but then I thought about it: they send in their top assassin to murder a crippled guy who woke up that day, and she ends up getting flung out of a fourth story window on fire. I'd freak out and send more dudes in given those circumstances. :v:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Bholder posted:

The fact that people ask for lovely, badly thrown together story is kind of funnier.

Memes

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Ah yes. The DNA of the soul.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

poptart_fairy posted:

It bugged me why Cipher would storm a hospital with what's basically an army just to kill one dude in a coma, but then I thought about it: they send in their top assassin to murder a crippled guy who woke up that day, and she ends up getting flung out of a fourth story window on fire. I'd freak out and send more dudes in given those circumstances. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrTsuvykUZk

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I'm still boggled by how a game thats 5 years in dev or whatever could be unfinished at all. Most of the things I'd want completed are extremely minor and with a proper game/level editor the playerbase could poo poo out in a month.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Making open world games is much harder than it appears and Kojima needs an editor and someone who can tell him when enough is enough.

MGS V has a lot more ambition than was ever feasible. He'd never have gotten the game out if he had the ability to get everything just as he wanted it. I feel as though he's sort of bought into his own hype too.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Its open world I guess but not really. They just put space in between a bunch of outposts. There is barely anything actually happening in between. Maybe 1-2 cars travelling but no sign of any activity other than 5 dudes at some tents every hundred yards.

Once you've taken out a lot of comms stuff nothing even reacts to you in the world either, maybe some radio call that says "oh no gunfire"

Its not like GTA where waves of poo poo increasingly come at you, which is what I would expect in free roam. Eventually the entire soviet army ought to show up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, I know, right? Haha.

It's a good thing the XOF troops got in the way of the Man on Fire and vice-versa or he'd never have gotten out of there.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Sometimes I think about Big Boss just lying there in the bed next to Venom, bored out of his loving skull for at least a fortnight, and giggle to myself

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Sometimes I think about Big Boss just lying there in the bed next to Venom, bored out of his loving skull for at least a fortnight, and giggle to myself

This hospital doesn't seem to have TVs but I hope they gave him newspapers or something to read, haha.

Maybe the iDroid also functions as a 1980s Kindle.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

"Why won't they stop playing David Bowie songs god drat it :negative:"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

"Why won't they stop playing David Bowie songs god drat it :negative:"

You know what it reminded me of, in a roundabout way? Metal Gear Solid 1.

It's a military game but it starts out with this haunting Gaelic opera and underwater swimming scenes. MGSV starting out with blinding white light and a trippy David Bowie song took ME by complete surprise. It's not what you expect when you boot up the game.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Ocelot came in and gave Big Boss a brand new custom handgun to play with and he spend the whole time grunting and cooing over it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pwnstar posted:

Ocelot came in and gave Big Boss a brand new custom handgun to play with and he spend the whole time grunting and cooing over it.

I've constantly been using the not-M1911, just because of course Venom would inherit his fanboyism over them.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Erata posted:

There will be DLC where you can build a Soccer Platform and then you can fulton a bus and drive your team to said platform. Kaz will be the goalie.

Or fulton a bus to your base and you could simulate that desert bus game where you go from point A to point B in the span of 8 hours. I think that is roughly how long it takes to travel through one of the bridges at Mother Base.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

All those XOF soldiers dying in the beginning at least explains why they never show up during the whole drat plot until the end, seemingly less expendable than those Skull troopers.

"I've been listening to the same drat song for 9 years, NINE YEARS"

(The whole 9 year coma thing seems really excessive).

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The final story patch will come when PES soccer is released, Kojima will utilize multimedia storytelling in a way that "only videogames can," by making you revisit Camp Omega to play soccer with the military leaders of the world. It ends with Venom kicking the "nuclear futbol," into the ocean and everyone unites in a decommissioned post-nuclear world.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Am I screwed out of 100% from losing Quiet since I only developed the suppressed non-lethal rifle and the XOF Outfit for her?

And so Quiet wears what she wears because she has to breathe through her skin due to the parasites but The End and Code Talker apparently had the same thing and didn't wear revealing clothes so am I missing something? I don't feel adequately ashamed of my words and deeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's fine. Kojima made up a bullshit reason for a woman to always be naked.

• Locked thread